inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Powerball is up to $675 million.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/07/16 at 1:45 pm

So buy your tickets before Saturday!

And if anyone here wins, we have to solemnly swear that we'll host a real-life get together for all past and current members. ;)

Subject: Re: The Powerball is up to $675 million.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/16 at 1:54 pm

And if anyone here wins, we have to solemnly swear that we'll host a real-life get together for all past and current members. ;)

I already have mine.  I buy 20 drawings at a time so I'm good to go for a few more weeks.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/07/16 at 11:27 pm

that could be arranged

Written By: 80sfan on 01/07/16 at 11:48 pm

I have a better chance at being kicked in the balls.  8)

Written By: gibbo on 01/08/16 at 1:15 am

that could be arranged

Don't you mean ... deranged?  ;)

Written By: gibbo on 01/08/16 at 3:05 am

That's equivalent to $997,000 Aussie dollars! :o. But in Australia, I don't think it's taxed.

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/16 at 4:12 am

That's equivalent to $997,000 Aussie dollars! :o . But in Australia, I don't think it's taxed.

I read an article that said if you take the cash value of the now $700,000,000 jackpot it amounts to approx $306,000,000.... given various tax rates across the country the take home is roughly estimated to be $103,000,000..... I could live with that...

Written By: Howard on 01/08/16 at 7:51 am

So what do you come home with after taxes?

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/16 at 8:11 am

So what do you come home with after taxes?

I read an article that said if you take the cash value of the now $700,000,000 jackpot it amounts to approx $306,000,000.... given various tax rates across the country the take home is roughly estimated to be $103,000,000..... I could live with that...

Written By: Ripley on 01/08/16 at 8:38 am

I could live with that too!  I have only -1,000 of that in my account right now.  :-\\ If I were to win that I wouldn't know what to think.  I mean yes I know what I would do with it but not even when I was a kid did we have extra money to play with.  We've always had money problems so when we did get to do stuff we didn't take it for granted.  But it would be amazing.  Honestly, first thing, I would buy an island so people couldn't bother me!  :P

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/16 at 8:40 am

I could live with that too!  I have only -1,000 of that in my account right now.  :-\\ If I were to win that I wouldn't know what to think.  I mean yes I know what I would do with it but not even when I was a kid did we have extra money to play with.  We've always had money problems so when we did get to do stuff we didn't take it for granted.  But it would be amazing.  Honestly, first thing, I would buy an island so people couldn't bother me!  :P

Good plan. Add island to my list.  ;D

Written By: Ripley on 01/08/16 at 8:40 am

I have a better chance at being kicked in the balls.  8)

Me too and I don't have any!  ;D I rarely even win a free scratch ticket so I just don't do it.  I think its $2 only to play here but I could use that money for something else.  :D

Written By: Howard on 01/08/16 at 8:40 am

That's not bad.

Written By: Ripley on 01/08/16 at 8:41 am

Good plan. Add island to my list.  ;D

I just have to figure out where haha

Written By: Howard on 01/08/16 at 8:41 am

Me too and I don't have any!  ;D I rarely even win a free scratch ticket so I just don't do it.  I think its $2 only to play here but I could use that money for something else.  :D

you rarely win at scratch tickets.

Written By: Ripley on 01/08/16 at 8:50 am

you rarely win at scratch tickets.

Yeah.  Sometimes I will get the $1 pull tabs or a $2 crossword.  Sometimes I get a free ticket, occasionally I win a little more but its rare.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/16 at 10:43 am

Winning all that $$$$$$$$$$$$ sounds great but at this point, I would really love to win just $100,000. That will be enough to pay off our loan & pay off our new car and we will be TOTALLY DEBT FREE!!!!

Question for everyone:

If you won the Powerball, what would you do with it?

Me?-like I said above, I would get out of debt.
-Do more work on the house.
-Make sure all grandkids can go to college.
-Pay off mortgages for family members.
-Start a scholarship.
-Who knows what else.

As a line from Hello Dolly says, "Money, if you pardon the expression, is like manure. It's not worth a thing unless it is spread around to help young things grow."

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/08/16 at 3:42 pm

Yeah.  Sometimes I will get the $1 pull tabs or a $2 crossword.  Sometimes I get a free ticket, occasionally I win a little more but its rare.

I can never win at those scratch off tickets, the most I've won was a dollar or two.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/16 at 3:45 pm

If you won the Powerball, what would you do with it?

I'd definitely fix up my old brother's room which I am now in for the past 27 years and get rid of this old blue carpet that's been in here for 44 years.

Written By: gibbo on 01/08/16 at 3:46 pm

Howard ... Stop making Q repeat herself!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/16 at 4:13 pm

I'd definitely fix up my old brother's room which I am now in for the past 27 years and get rid of this old blue carpet that's been in here for 44 years.

If you have been in it for 27 years, wouldn't it be YOUR room?

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/08/16 at 4:20 pm

Howard ... Stop making Q repeat herself!  ;D

;D

Written By: Howard on 01/08/16 at 4:21 pm

If you have been in it for 27 years, wouldn't it be YOUR room?

Cat

Yeah I guess you could say that.

Written By: gibbo on 01/08/16 at 4:26 pm

^ makes a very good point.

If I won that kind of money, I'd retire and start to travel the world. I would also put a few million in trust for my kids (who aren't so young anymore). They could access it when they are 30 ... But they need to develop their work ethics right now. I would help them out with a reliable vehicle that would assist them in looking or getting to work. No big handouts at this stage...

I would gift a couple of million to my siblings and two best friends. I would keep 20 million for myself and my wife and then start researching who needs assistance most in this big wide world. Some would go to the regular larger charities, but I kinda like the idea of helping out people and individual families that might be down on their luck.

However, we will probably never know exactly what we'd do ...  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/16 at 9:34 pm

If I won I would

The selfish stuff:
-Buy a house in Santa Barbara and a place in la since I spend equal time in both
-Buy a condo in downtown San Diego. My own personal retreat during comic con and to use as a vacation destination throughout the year
-Pay off my debt of course
-Get a car and take Effie on a cross country rode trip. Spend time in Austin, Orlando, SLC, Michigan, Toronto and NYC
-rent out the Santa Barbara bowl and hire TLC for a concert for me, and any of my friends who are fans are invited...  I'd give the rest of the Tix to the TLC Army (the TLC fan club)

The less selfish stuff:
-Pay off my moms bills and house
-Send her to holland to spend some much needed time with her fave sister
-Hire a contractor to renovate the house of the friend who puts me up throughout the year in Burbank and give her $10k and some gift cards to her favorite stores so she'd have some tax free cash and spending money.
-Buy a bunch of auctions on charity buzz and bidding for good (ok that can be selfish but the money goes to
Charity so it's actually self gratification for a cause)
-Buy a bunch of gift cards and spread the love wherever I go. Someone makes me laugh "here's a gift card" some one shows kindness to another person "boom here's your instant karma"
-I'd go to grocery stores and pay for people groceries just cuz I can  ( ever since I read about that guy who did this I've always wanted to pay off someone's layaway at Christmas)
-if help my friend get her screenplay written and produced
-I'd take my fellow walking dead fan friends to walker stalker con in ATL and we'd all get the VIP experience.
-help my friends who struggle
Financially get a leg up....anonymously bc I don't want them hounding me for cash later  ;D

Not that I've given it much thought.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/09/16 at 10:40 am

I could never figure out why people do this. You take 3 hundred million and let the lottery keep 4 hundred million. To me,
that math just doesn't add up. I would take the annuity, 26 million a year for 20 some odd years is okay with me. Plus,
we normal folk, by that I mean poor, don't know how to handle lump sum money. That is why a lot of lottery winners
end up broke. We are used to receiving and paying monies on a monthly basis. So for me, (born on Friday the 13th) when
I win (fat chance) I will take the whole thing please, in installments.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/16 at 10:45 am

We have a huge roll over lottery for this weekend.

After adding ten more balls to the draw, it has been harder to win. Raising the odds from 14,000,000/1 to 43,000,000/1.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/16 at 10:47 am

I wanna buy a dog.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/16 at 10:50 am

I wanna buy a hut.

Written By: Ripley on 01/09/16 at 12:26 pm

I wanna buy a hut.

I want to buy a big beach house with a huge room for the cats and dog to have of their own. But then again they will sleep with me anyway so lol

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/16 at 1:16 pm

I want to buy a big beach house with a huge room for the cats and dog to have of their own. But then again they will sleep with me anyway so lol

I want a clown. I want to hire one to perform for me when I'm sad.

Written By: Ripley on 01/09/16 at 1:47 pm

I want a clown. I want to hire one to perform for me when I'm sad.

What about a puppy? You wouldn't have to hire them. And they will be happy to help you smile.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/16 at 1:54 pm

What about a puppy? You wouldn't have to hire them. And they will be happy to help you smile.

Okay.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/16 at 3:10 pm

The (UK) National Lottery website crashed following "unprecedented" demand for last-minute tickets ahead of the record £57.8m jackpot draw.

Whoever wins Saturday's jackpot will have similar wealth to Barry Gibb

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/16 at 5:51 pm

I could never figure out why people do this. You take 3 hundred million and let the lottery keep 4 hundred million. To me,
that math just doesn't add up. I would take the annuity, 26 million a year for 20 some odd years is okay with me. Plus,
we normal folk, by that I mean poor, don't know how to handle lump sum money. That is why a lot of lottery winners
end up broke. We are used to receiving and paying monies on a monthly basis. So for me, (born on Friday the 13th) when
I win (fat chance) I will take the whole thing please, in installments.

I remember when I first started buying lottery tickets people said that if you won and died your heirs don't continue to get your payments. That spread and people were like screw it I'll take it all.

Or we we're afraid the lotto would go bankrupt and if yo mu got the money now you didn't lose out later.

Honestly tho I think it's our I-WANT-IT-NOW...everyone just can't fathom waiting when they can get more money they would make in their lifetime anyway now so they can start spending it tomorrow.

:-\\

Basically we are all stupid  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/16 at 5:53 pm

The (UK) National Lottery website crashed following "unprecedented" demand for last-minute tickets ahead of the record £57.8m jackpot draw.

Whoever wins Saturday's jackpot will have similar wealth to Barry Gibb

If we could buy lotto tickets online I would really be broke  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/09/16 at 5:57 pm

I would like to make over my room.

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/16 at 8:43 pm

Looks like I have higher than average luck! I should totally try this out  :D

http://i.imgur.com/qfwqR90.png

How lucky are you guys?

http://powerball-simulator.com/

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/16 at 4:42 am

I heard it might go up to $1 billion!  :D  :D  :D

Written By: Howard on 01/10/16 at 4:06 pm

It should go up to one zillion.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/16 at 4:35 pm

I wish ours would!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/16 at 4:36 pm

If we could buy lotto tickets online I would really be broke  ;D
I know someone who did and never won everything significant.

I did not win anything last night.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/10/16 at 4:45 pm

Man, not ONE number.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/16 at 4:48 pm

Cat
For me, it was one number!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/10/16 at 5:15 pm

Cat

I got one number.  One.  And it wasn't the Power Play number meaning that I could at least get my money back. ;D

I might buy one or two more for Wednesday night, but I haven't decided.

Written By: snozberries on 01/10/16 at 8:16 pm

It is over a billion as of this morning

Written By: snozberries on 01/10/16 at 8:17 pm

It's $1.3 billion

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/16 at 8:24 pm

So if I win, I get roughly $500 million?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 01/10/16 at 10:06 pm

So if I win, I get roughly $500 million?  ???

Found this.  It's an estimate which varies by state.

The real total take-home? According to USA Mega, the winner receives an initial payout of $806 million (if they take the lump-sum). Already we're at 62% of the advertising value.

But now —the tax man visits.

The initial federal tax withheld from the winnings is 25% — removing $201.5 million. Now our winner has $604.5 million left to spend.

But, depending on where they live, an additional state tax of up to 8.82% will be deducted, leaving a grand total of  $533,410,800 awarded.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/16 at 10:58 pm

The real total take-home? According to USA Mega, the winner receives an initial payout of $806 million (if they take the lump-sum). Already we're at 62% of the advertising value.

The initial federal tax withheld from the winnings is 25% — removing $201.5 million. Now our winner has $604.5 million left to spend.

But, depending on where they live, an additional state tax of up to 8.82% will be deducted, leaving a grand total of  $533,410,800 awarded.

TY. I'm from Nebraska, plus depends on city too, I'm guessing.

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/16 at 12:35 am

TY. I'm from Nebraska, plus depends on city too, I'm guessing.

I could be wrong but I think its only State and Federal taxes you have to worry  about the city shouldn't have any impact... but it will impact what you buy because sales taxes vary by city/county

Written By: Howard on 01/11/16 at 3:35 pm

Cat

Sorry Cat, maybe next time.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/11/16 at 6:43 pm

This is the reason that I can't stress enough, unless you're 80....Take the annuity.

You get less than half the actual winnings. After all the taxes that money is yours to do with as you will
but remember, That mansion you just bought still has to be heated, insured and the property tax still have
to be paid. That beautiful expensive car needs insurance as well. I know, you have 500 hundred million why
worry about that. Because after that is gone; with a few bad investments, family you never knew you had
and a new found lavish lifestyle, it is gone for good.

With the annuity, at around 44 million a year for 29 years, you can still get the house, the car and the lifestyle
but you can learn from mistakes. Plus you could do what most athletes do, start a foundation. It is easier to get
tax breaks with the annuity.

I would go on and on but I can't win this argument with friends and family I sure as hell won't win it here.  :P

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/16 at 7:31 pm

This is the reason that I can't stress enough, unless you're 80....Take the annuity.

You get less than half the actual winnings. After all the taxes that money is yours to do with as you will
but remember, That mansion you just bought still has to be heated, insured and the property tax still have
to be paid. That beautiful expensive car needs insurance as well. I know, you have 500 hundred million why
worry about that. Because after that is gone; with a few bad investments, family you never knew you had
and a new found lavish lifestyle, it is gone for good.

With the annuity, at around 44 million a year for 29 years, you can still get the house, the car and the lifestyle
but you can learn from mistakes. Plus you could do what most athletes do, start a foundation. It is easier to get
tax breaks with the annuity.

I would go on and on but I can't win this argument with friends and family I sure as hell won't win it here.  :P

I hear ya. And on a 6 million dollar jackpot I see your point but anyone who can blow thought 500 million deserves to lose it!

Written By: loki 13 on 01/11/16 at 8:59 pm

I hear ya. And on a 6 million dollar jackpot I see your point but anyone who can blow thought 500 million deserves to lose it!

There are quite a few ex athletes and lottery winners who are now broke, It is not as hard as one thinks.

I always get a kick out of the answers I hear when people are asked, "What is the first thing you'll do if you win?"
Everyone always gives the wrong answer. The first thing you do is make sure you signed the freaking ticket.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/16 at 9:06 pm

Someone buy a ticket and scratch it for me. If you win, we split it!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Trust me, trust me, trust me.  ;D  ;D

Written By: Ripley on 01/11/16 at 10:05 pm

Someone buy a ticket and scratch it for me. If you win, we split it!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Lol I will

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/16 at 10:11 pm

Lol I will

It's all about trust. :-X

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/16 at 10:31 pm

There are quite a few ex athletes and lottery winners who are now broke, It is not as hard as one thinks.

I always get a kick out of the answers I hear when people are asked, "What is the first thing you'll do if you win?"
Everyone always gives the wrong answer. The first thing you do is make sure you signed the freaking ticket.

The ex athletes do things like buy houses and cars and pay their friends to be their friends. Lotto winners go on serious shopping sprees

My point is if you seriously can blow $500 million you deserve to lose $500 million I can see going broke winning 10 million because but 500 million is quite the out flow of cash.

If you can't hold on to it you deserve to lose it.

I remember the guy who won one of the first big jackpots. He kept cash in his house and in his car and carried large wads with him. He was robbed and burglarized many times because he talked about it too much.

The real answer is:
1) sign your ticket
2) get a financial advisor
3)create an llc so you don't have to release your name to the public
4) don't spen money like a mad man
5) don't tell anyone you don't trust because they will either continue to beg you for more money or kill you to get it all.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/16 at 10:40 am

The ex athletes do things like buy houses and cars and pay their friends to be their friends. Lotto winners go on serious shopping sprees

My point is if you seriously can blow $500 million you deserve to lose $500 million I can see going broke winning 10 million because but 500 million is quite the out flow of cash.

If you can't hold on to it you deserve to lose it.

I remember the guy who won one of the first big jackpots. He kept cash in his house and in his car and carried large wads with him. He was robbed and burglarized many times because he talked about it too much.

The real answer is:
1) sign your ticket
2) get a financial advisor
3)create an llc so you don't have to release your name to the public
4) don't spen money like a mad man
5) don't tell anyone you don't trust because they will either continue to beg you for more money or kill you to get it all.

Good advice. Yeah, anyone who wins who announces it all of a sudden will have friends coming out of the woodwork-not to mention every charity in the world will want their cut, too.

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 01/12/16 at 12:17 pm

Good advice. Yeah, anyone who wins who announces it all of a sudden will have friends coming out of the woodwork-not to mention every charity in the world will want their cut, too.

Cat

This is why I'm weary of winning that much. 10,000 doesn't sound like much but it can help with getting caught up on debt, payments and buying some needed and wanted things. Then it can be saved after taking care of everything. I know people will still try to get in touch but that little I don't think would be publisized as much. As great as a mil or more sounds its really not worth the headache. Personally my mom is the one and only person I would tell and I'd make sure no one else found out. And yes i would sign an llc. I have only 7 people in my family I talk to and one of them is under 2. So I know if a member called me it would be for that reason. But the others don't even have access to my Facebook, no number. I'm rambling lol

Written By: Howard on 01/12/16 at 3:28 pm

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4f4685276bb3f7527d000053/weve-figured-out-what-new-york-scratch-ticket-has-the-best-payout.jpg

pick one.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/16 at 3:29 pm

Cat

just don't be like Curtis Sharp.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/12/16 at 3:31 pm

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4f4685276bb3f7527d000053/weve-figured-out-what-new-york-scratch-ticket-has-the-best-payout.jpg

pick one.

Top right corner would do.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/16 at 4:03 pm

Top right corner would do.

I would choose Lucky 7's.

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/16 at 4:49 pm

$500 a week for life.

It's not life changing but it would be life stablizing

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/16 at 4:53 pm

I did not win on the Euro Millions today.

I give up!

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/16 at 6:30 pm

I give up!

Bummer

Written By: 80sfan on 01/13/16 at 2:53 pm

I give up!

Me too! And I didn't even buy a ticket!  :D  :D  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/13/16 at 2:54 pm

I would choose Lucky 7's.

In Vietnamese culture, 9 is the most lucky number! 7 is a great choice though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/16 at 3:05 pm

Me too! And I didn't even buy a ticket!  :D  :D  :D
I wish I did not buy one now!

Written By: Howard on 01/13/16 at 3:24 pm

$500 a week for life.

It's not life changing but it would be life stablizing

I would take $500 dollars.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/16 at 3:33 pm

A couple from Hawick in the Scottish Borders have been unveiled as the winners of half of last Saturday's record £66m National Lottery jackpot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-35297396

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/14/16 at 4:48 am

Again, only one number that I got correct.  I let the computer pick it mainly because the place I went to had run out of slips to choose your own numbers.  ;D It wouldn't have mattered anyway, the winners weren't any of my "lucky" numbers anyway. Apparently 3 people won the big prize tonight of 1.5 billion dollars.  I had already spent some of that in my head dagnabbit.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/16 at 5:21 am

Again, only one number that I got correct.  I let the computer pick it mainly because the place I went to had run out of slips to choose your own numbers.  ;D It wouldn't have mattered anyway, the winners weren't any of my "lucky" numbers anyway. Apparently 3 people won the big prize tonight of 1.5 billion dollars.  I had already spent some of that in my head dagnabbit.
Now commencing on the begging letters?  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/16 at 7:44 am

Apparently 3 people won the big prize tonight of 1.5 billion dollars. 

chino Hills ca
Tennessee
Florida

I had already spent some of that in my head dagnabbit.

Me too  :-\\

Written By: Ripley on 01/14/16 at 8:24 am

I wouldn't pass up a free crossword. I actually do those ones for fun lol

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/16 at 10:40 am

WOO HOO!!! One number!!!!  ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 01/15/16 at 6:59 pm

I just got around to checking my tickets. When I had seen there were three winners and none
from my state I wasn't in a hurry to check the tickets. Turns out I did win something, I matched
some of the numbers. So should I take my own advice and see if I can get my payments in an
annuity? Lets see, 11 dollars over 29 years is what? .38 cents a year... my retirement is set.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/16 at 8:17 pm

I just got around to checking my tickets. When I had seen there were three winners and none
from my state I wasn't in a hurry to check the tickets. Turns out I did win something, I matched
some of the numbers. So should I take my own advice and see if I can get my payments in an
annuity? Lets see, 11 dollars over 29 years is what? .38 cents a year... my retirement is set.  ;D

Ha ha

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/15/16 at 10:53 pm

I considered buying a ticket. All the wonderful things I could have done with it. New house, car, monuments to my parents...darn. Oh well, at least I can still buy myself a bacon croissant from Dunkin Donuts.  :) Not as good as seeing my fave band in concert--in my hot pink miniskirt--but I'll be happy.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/16 at 7:38 am

at least you won something.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/16 at 7:40 am

Well done, more than the most of us!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/16/16 at 2:44 pm

Just be careful not to spend all of that in one place.  ;) :D ;D ;D

I actually won a few weeks ago-I think it was maybe $20+/- or so. Enough to buy me a few more tickets.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 01/16/16 at 3:58 pm

I wouldn't keep all that cash to myself. I would give it away!

Written By: nally on 01/16/16 at 4:01 pm

Good idea; I'd probably donate it to charities or something like that.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/16/16 at 4:04 pm

Good idea; I'd probably donate it to charities or something like that.

My thoughts exactly! To places like St.Jude, or Unicef.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/16/16 at 5:22 pm

My charities are Heifer International, The Vermont Foodbank, & my local Humane Society (where I got my Electra from). I give to all three on a regular basis. No need to win the lottery to do that.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/16/16 at 6:15 pm

I would just keep the cash but then you have the taxes which have to be taken out and also the social security that want to know your earnings. ::)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/17/16 at 3:01 pm

If I won, I would not give away a single penny other than what was necessary for taxes and I'll explain why.

In 2000, my mother hit a 50 thousand dollar lottery ticket one night before Bible Study at church. After taxes, she got 34 grand. She used some to build two rooms onto the back of our house where I still live. (my father built the rooms by hand himself) At the same time I was going into my freshman year of high school. I spent the ENTIRE summer begging for a desktop computer which would have greatly helped me with the writing of essays. (Ma said no, that I'd only use it to look at Michael Jackson. Without an internet hookup, unless he moonwalked out of the monitor, I wouldn't see him.)
Here's where the charity portion comes in. You have 14-year-old me, pleading desperately for that damn computer. As soon as Ma won she started with this "I'm gonna spread this around my family" bullsheesh. 14 year old me, is begging for the computer, Daddy, 73 at the time was saying "Rita, don't do it". Ma, in quite possibly the singular glaring stupid thing I've ever witnessed her do in my natural life, gave 500 dollars to each member of her family. She was not met with thank yous, only "I should have gotten a thousand". (Part of the reason why I cannot stand my family and if they were hanging off a cliff I'd tap-dance on their fingertips)
Just for the record, I didn't get a desktop until AFTER I graduated in 2004. I was the only child in my class who had log overtime in the school library and beg my dad to take me to the library downtown in order to do work.
Any and all charity got a donation when my mom gave money to those loafers I'm unfortunately connected to by blood.
And she did give money to several legit charities.
But I just will always remember my extreme resentment about the computer.

IF I ever get a windfall like that, no one would ever see me again. No way...
And sixteen years later, I STILL get letters from the handful of charities my mother threw money at, but not for a computer for me.
And if I have a child and my child wants something, I will give it to her.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/17/16 at 3:31 pm

A few days ago, the lottery was around $1.5 billion.

Written By: snozberries on 01/18/16 at 12:35 am

A few days ago, the lottery was around $1.5 billion.

This thread was started when the power ball was 675 million. That same power ball grew to be 1.5 billion dollars.

Written By: snozberries on 01/18/16 at 12:41 am

I spent the ENTIRE summer begging for a desktop computer which would have greatly helped me with the writing of essays. (Ma said no, that I'd only use it to look at Michael Jackson. Without an internet hookup, unless he moonwalked out of the monitor, I wouldn't see him.)

Just for the record, I didn't get a desktop until AFTER I graduated in 2004.

So what you're saying is even your mother agreed that you had an unnatural obsession with what's his name  :P

She wasn't completely wrong about how you'd spend your time she just was wrong about when you'd do it....

Just an observation.

I agree with you tho people can be downright ungrateful. Thank you is the appropriate response not 'why didn't I get more?'  That sux. Charities are the same way tho. Give to them once and then they come back begging for more.  ;)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/18/16 at 1:39 pm

So what you're saying is even your mother agreed that you had an unnatural obsession with what's his name  :P

She wasn't completely wrong about how you'd spend your time she just was wrong about when you'd do it....

Just an observation.

I agree with you tho people can be downright ungrateful. Thank you is the appropriate response not 'why didn't I get more?'  That sux. Charities are the same way tho. Give to them once and then they come back begging for more.  ;)

I prefer the word "enthusiastic" but I've cooled slightly since I picked up 3T. But even though Ma didn't buy the computer until years later, I logged ALOT of hours in Sam Goody buying up MJ cds on her dime. So I don't really know where the logic went... "No laptop for MJ, but here's his music, and books and tapes and dvds." But in the past two months I've only seen Michael maybe five times. I've really be onto 3T with my friends at the moment.

And I hate my family for being so ungrateful. Like if I EVER do forgive them, it will be an extremely long time. Because at the lowest times of my life I was essentially alone. I know not everyone is capable of dealing like that, but I somehow managed and am proud I did and I really know they may not be able to manage with out me at some point in the future, but I know I can without THEM. And if I had the money, I'd wipe myself off the map and they'd never find me.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/18/16 at 2:11 pm

I would just keep the cash but then you have the taxes which have to be taken out and also the social security that want to know your earnings. ::)

I knew you were going to say this! We're supposed to share, lol.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/18/16 at 3:29 pm

I prefer the word "enthusiastic" but I've cooled slightly since I picked up 3T. But even though Ma didn't buy the computer until years later, I logged ALOT of hours in Sam Goody buying up MJ cds on her dime. So I don't really know where the logic went... "No laptop for MJ, but here's his music, and books and tapes and dvds." But in the past two months I've only seen Michael maybe five times. I've really be onto 3T with my friends at the moment.

And I hate my family for being so ungrateful. Like if I EVER do forgive them, it will be an extremely long time. Because at the lowest times of my life I was essentially alone. I know not everyone is capable of dealing like that, but I somehow managed and am proud I did and I really know they may not be able to manage with out me at some point in the future, but I know I can without THEM. And if I had the money, I'd wipe myself off the map and they'd never find me.

But where'd you go? ???

Written By: Howard on 01/18/16 at 3:31 pm

I knew you were going to say this! We're supposed to share, lol.  ;D

I don't share!  :P

Written By: violet_shy on 01/18/16 at 3:52 pm

I don't share!  :P

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/16 at 7:51 am

There is an unclaimed ticket for the UK Lottery with the value of £33.3m, and I do not have it!

Written By: Howard on 01/22/16 at 8:28 am

There is an unclaimed ticket for the UK Lottery with the value of £33.3m, and I do not have it!

Then who does? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/16 at 9:03 am

Then who does? ???
That is the mystery!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/16 at 4:01 pm

Hundreds Claim To Have The Missing £33m Lottery Ticket

http://news.sky.com/story/1629622/hundreds-claim-to-have-33m-lottery-ticket

Written By: violet_shy on 01/26/16 at 4:08 pm

Aw man, good luck finding the winner! ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/16 at 4:09 pm

Aw man, good luck finding the winner! ;D
I honestly say it is not me.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/16 at 4:28 pm

It's not me either. :(

Written By: Ripley on 01/26/16 at 8:04 pm

What if one of us knows the winner though?

Written By: 2001 on 01/26/16 at 8:32 pm

What if one of us knows the winner though?

The answer is to sue them like everyone else will.

Written By: Ripley on 01/26/16 at 8:35 pm

The answer is to sue them like everyone else will.

It sadly happens too much.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/27/16 at 8:28 am

Well, let's hope it is you...then you can share it with us! ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/16 at 8:34 am

I can always purchase another lottery ticket for tonight's draw.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/16 at 8:47 am

...or a second ticket too!

Written By: Ripley on 01/27/16 at 9:31 am

I just spent my 2 lottery dollars on a bottle of Dr. Pepper and a bag of chips!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/16 at 9:38 am

A wise choice.

Written By: Ripley on 01/27/16 at 9:41 am

A wise choice.

It will be gone in a few minutes but its better than losing the $2 completely lol

Written By: violet_shy on 01/27/16 at 10:32 am

That's what I would have done, lol.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/16 at 4:24 pm

How much do you want?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/16 at 4:26 pm

With did, but did not win!

Written By: violet_shy on 01/27/16 at 4:29 pm

How much do you want?

In all honesty...I would be happy with just 100 dollars. I would probably give it all anyway.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/16 at 4:54 pm

In all honesty...I would be happy with just 100 dollars. I would probably give it all anyway.

give it to me. ;)

Written By: violet_shy on 01/27/16 at 4:58 pm

give it to me. ;)

No, you don't share! Haha lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/16 at 4:59 pm

I have nothing to share.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/16 at 8:56 am

UK lottery operator Camelot has received a "valid claim" for a record £33m Lotto jackpot prize, it says. The holder of the winning ticket - bought in the Worcester for a January 9 draw - has opted to remain anonymous.

Written By: Howard on 01/28/16 at 4:28 pm

ok then!  :P

Subject: We had a win on the lottery!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/16 at 4:25 am

We has a win on the lottery this weekend! It was only two matched numbers and the prize was a free lucky dip for the next draw, which will be Wednesday.

Subject: Re: We had a win on the lottery!

Written By: snozberries on 02/29/16 at 8:48 am

We has a win on the lottery this weekend! It was only two matched numbers and the prize was a free lucky dip for the next draw, which will be Wednesday.

WHOO HOO.,..hopefully you turn your free drawing into another win

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/16 at 8:57 am

WHOO HOO.,..hopefully you turn your free drawing into another win

We are hoping....

Subject: Re: We had a win on the lottery!

Written By: Howard on 02/29/16 at 3:56 pm

good luck. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/29/16 at 3:57 pm

O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/16 at 7:43 am

Tonight's the night!

Written By: snozberries on 03/02/16 at 8:40 am

Tonight's the night!

Good luck

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/16 at 9:10 am

Good luck
Fingers crossed!

Written By: Howard on 03/02/16 at 3:51 pm

Tonight's the night!

hope you win. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/16 at 3:51 pm

Oh yes, what time is the draw?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/16 at 3:52 pm

The draw has already happened, and checking the ticket.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/16 at 3:55 pm

The draw has already happened, and checking the ticket.
I am nervous to check.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/16 at 7:53 am

The numbers have been checked.

Do you want the good news or the bad news first?

Written By: snozberries on 03/03/16 at 11:11 am

Good news.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/16 at 11:12 am

Good news.
There will be no pressure for us being millionaires, and the shop will have more of a profit from us on the next ticket we purchase.

Written By: snozberries on 03/03/16 at 11:48 am

There will be no pressure for us being millionaires, and the shop will have more of a profit from us on the next ticket we purchase.

Aw man I wanted the good good news. Not the bad news in a pretty package.  :P

Sorry you didn't win

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/16 at 11:58 am

Aw man I wanted the good good news. Not the bad news in a pretty package.  :P

Sorry you didn't win
Simply putting it we did not win, no numbers were matched.

Written By: snozberries on 03/03/16 at 12:12 pm

So sorry.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/16 at 12:26 pm

So sorry.
Am I losing faith in the Lottery, no!

Written By: snozberries on 03/03/16 at 12:35 pm

Am I losing faith in the Lottery, no!

Me neither. I still have some to check. The longer I wait the longer I can dream about being rich.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/16 at 12:45 pm

Me neither. I still have some to check. The longer I wait the longer I can dream about being rich.
Check them asap!

Written By: Howard on 03/03/16 at 3:47 pm

later tonight.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/16 at 3:47 pm

good news.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/16 at 3:48 pm

good news.
Please read above.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/16 at 3:48 pm

maybe next time Phil.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/16 at 3:48 pm

maybe next time Phil.
It will be next time!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/16 at 3:57 pm

maybe next time Phil.
Providing I pass the shop.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/16 at 4:14 pm

Providing I pass the shop.

have you tried the scratch offs?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/16 at 4:19 pm

have you tried the scratch offs?
Don't try them, they are still sold after the jackpot has been won.

Written By: Howard on 03/04/16 at 8:03 am

Don't try them, they are still sold after the jackpot has been won.

I rarely win anything anyways.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/16 at 1:46 pm

I rarely win anything anyways.
We are trying again for tomorrow, with a better choice of numbers.

Written By: snozberries on 03/04/16 at 5:01 pm

Mine were big fat losers as well.

Written By: Howard on 03/04/16 at 5:06 pm

We are trying again for tomorrow, with a better choice of numbers.

good luck Phil and I hope you win at least something. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/16 at 4:42 am

good luck Phil and I hope you win at least something. :)
I waited till Sunday morning to check my lottery numbers, no numbers matched and came away with nothing!

Written By: Howard on 03/07/16 at 3:49 pm

I waited till Sunday morning to check my lottery numbers, no numbers matched and came away with nothing!

Sorry Phil maybe next time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/16 at 3:58 pm

It will have to be the next time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/16 at 7:31 am

Next time will be Saturday now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/16 at 8:53 am

Once again the delights of the lottery have let me down.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/16/16 at 12:17 pm

Another ticket purchased for tonight.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/16 at 2:03 pm

BTW, I did not win the lottery last night.

Written By: Howard on 03/20/16 at 3:01 pm

BTW, I did not win the lottery last night.

try again next time. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/16 at 3:02 pm

try again next time. :)
I will do my best to remember.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/16 at 8:46 am

A £35.1m Lotto jackpot - the biggest prize in the UK game's history - has been claimed by a single ticket, lottery operator Camelot has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35984814

Check for new replies or respond here...