inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: On A Drive...

Written By: Ripley on 02/03/16 at 7:10 am

Something I've always been curious about is why it seems to take more time to get somewhere and less time to get back. Maybe its that anticipation of getting somewhere. You know when you have an exciting event coming up in 3 weeks but it takes a long time to get to it?  Then maybe the trip back doesn't take as long cause were tired. This is an observation I've made ever since I was old enough to know were on a drive. It doesn't include going up to the grocery store down the street.  But some place 30 minutes or more away. When I was a kid we would go to a town not far from us to go shopping.  It was about 45 minutes away. The trip back just flew by though. I know its the same amount of time both ways depending on traffic and rest stops, but it just has always felt this way to me. Maybe its some twilight zone thing lol Joking aside, does anyone else ever feel this way?

Subject: Re: On A Drive...

Written By: violet_shy on 02/03/16 at 7:18 am

I recently went to go visit my sister in Boston. I live in Rhode Island, and the trip usually takes about an hour. I was actually thinking the same thing and told my mother how strange it was that when we were heading to Boston it seemed like it took more than an hour. And when we were coming back, the trip was so fast and we were home in no time! Not sure why this happens, but it does.

Written By: nally on 02/03/16 at 12:41 pm

Something I've always been curious about is why it seems to take more time to get somewhere and less time to get back. Maybe its that anticipation of getting somewhere.

Maybe its some twilight zone thing lol Joking aside, does anyone else ever feel this way?

It has often happened with me, especially when I went on trips with my family as a kid.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/16 at 2:18 pm

It still happens to me now. I have always thought your mind on the outward journey is seeing sites and locations for new, and on the backward journey, with your mind recalling the sites and locations in reverse, it is easier on the mind, and registers the journey back as quicker.

Written By: Ripley on 02/03/16 at 8:34 pm

It still happens to me now. I have always thought your mind on the outward journey is seeing sites and locations for new, and on the backward journey, with your mind recalling the sites and locations in reverse, it is easier on the mind, and registers the journey back as quicker.

That's a good way to look at it.

I'm glad you all gave the same experience!

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/05/16 at 10:40 pm

does anyone else ever feel this way?

Yes, and studies have replicated the effect.

Check for new replies or respond here...