inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Working Hours

Written By: Ripley on 02/11/16 at 6:45 pm

How many hours a week do you work on average? This isn't a survey, I'm just curious. And just cause one person works more hours it doesn't mean they put in more work. How many jobs do you work if you feel comfortable saying?

I work approximately 20 at my store. I'm hoping its more soon. I don't want to cause I rarely get to rest with everything else going on. But I need the money. Sometimes I get scheduled a little more. Then sometimes while I'm sitting there waiting to work I get to start early. When I wait on some one to relieve me I accumulate more. My second job is as a care giver to my SO. It is work. I work at work, I clean, I do everything for him... So I'm technically working 24/7.

Again, I'm just curious :P

Subject: Re: Working Hours

Written By: 2001 on 02/11/16 at 7:00 pm

I don't have a job anymore. But I did have a stint out of high school. My work hours were 9:15AM - 5:45PM, good thing my commute was all of 5 minutes. Other than that, I was an lab assistant for about two semesters in university, my work hours were actually whenever I could drop by before 5PM on weekdays (with respect to my prof's/grad students' schedule).  I usually did about 6-10 hours a week, the pay was good. i miss that job, especially the people. :(

I worked as a cashier/shelf stocker at a grocery store in high school. I worked whenever I got called in, and later I could have preferred hours, it was usually around 10 hours a week.

Currently I'm studying about 35-40 hours a week doing my Physics/Computer Science double major, and burning all that money I made earlier to pay for it  ;D

It's good that you can spend a lot of time with your SO. If you could get paid for that, that would be awesome eh :P

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/16 at 3:19 am

I have one job.

I work on average 50-60 hours a week. It's supposed to be 40 but we are always busy or short staffed

Written By: Howard on 02/12/16 at 8:11 am

I'm a cart retrieval and I work about 20-25 hours a week with Friday And Saturday off and I've been working the morning shift between 9-1 and I'm home at about 2-230pm.

Written By: Ripley on 02/12/16 at 8:16 am

I'm a cart retrieval and I work about 20-25 hours a week with Friday And Saturday off and I've been working the morning shift between 9-1 and I'm home at about 2-230pm.

So you have to wait quite a while on a bus I bet?  I sometimes have to wait 4 hrs for my mom. Cause if I work 8-12 and she gets off at 3. Well she has to wait on her relief and count her drawer. So sometimes she doesn't get to me til 4. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/16 at 8:16 am

My last two jobs were 9 to 5 on weekdays, and I preferred it that way.

Written By: Ripley on 02/12/16 at 8:18 am

I have worked all over the place since I started.  But I can't work past 5. Typically I'm off by 4 though.  Soon I should be getting my set hours, which will be really early.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/16 at 8:48 am

So you have to wait quite a while on a bus I bet?  I sometimes have to wait 4 hrs for my mom. Cause if I work 8-12 and she gets off at 3. Well she has to wait on her relief and count her drawer. So sometimes she doesn't get to me til 4.

I leave the house in the morning at about 530am and I get there at about 7. The bus ride isn't that long but it's longer coming home.

Written By: Ripley on 02/12/16 at 8:50 am

I leave the house in the morning at about 530am and I get there at about 7. The bus ride isn't that long but it's longer coming home.

Because there are more stops?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/16 at 9:46 am

The job I had in the 2000s there was no direct bus or train route, and was only 20 minutes walk away, so I walk there and back every day.

Written By: Ripley on 02/12/16 at 9:49 am

The job I had in the 2000s there was no direct bus or train route, and was only 20 minutes walk away, so I walk there and back every day.

It would take me a good 2 hours.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/16 at 10:00 am

A feeling I know so well, my eighties job was over 1 hour train ride away.

Written By: Ripley on 02/12/16 at 10:08 am

A feeling I know so well, my eighties job was over 1 hour train ride away.

By car its 5 minutes with no traffic. I don't know about the bus though. I don't feel comfortable riding the bus here. Too many creepy people.

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/16 at 10:25 am

More traffic. There are more people on the road later in the day then there are at 530 am

Written By: Ripley on 02/12/16 at 11:01 am

More traffic. There are more people on the road later in the day then there are at 530 am

Yeah that makes since. Do you ever have people call and complain about bus drivers?

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/16 at 11:06 am

Yeah that makes since. Do you ever have people call and complain about bus drivers?

Naw but I have had calls from bus drivers (reported over the radio to their dispatchers) complaining about people on the bus.

We've had crazy people...
Arrested a guy for groping a girl
And did a traffic stop on a bus twice (once because the suspect in a crime ran on one and once because the driver has accidentally turned his emergency sign alerting ppl outside that there was a problem on the bus (but there wasn't a problem.

Written By: Ripley on 02/12/16 at 11:11 am

See what I mean? Gropers? Sickening. I know some people don't have a choice but to take it. I can tell Howard doesn't like to. I have before. But I'm thankful that my mom gives me rides.

Written By: nally on 02/12/16 at 1:39 pm

Currently I work from 9am to 3pm two days a week, with a half-hour break for lunch.

In my previous paid position (just a few months ago), I worked full time, Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm with a one-hour lunchbreak.

Before that, I had a temporary paid position in downtown L.A. which was full time; I worked 7 1/2 hours each day with a half-hour lunchbreak; I commuted on the train to get to and from there.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/16 at 2:58 pm

Yeah and sometimes the bus in the morning can get a bit crowded, especially the second one.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/16 at 2:59 pm

Why so long?

Written By: Howard on 02/12/16 at 3:00 pm

and you have the schoolkids in the morning and in the afternoon too.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/16 at 3:02 pm

In New York there are some passengers that complain that the bus never shown up so they'll complain to the MTA.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/16 at 3:15 pm

Stops or shops?

Written By: Ripley on 02/12/16 at 8:56 pm

Why so long?

To walk it would take that long. By bus it would take maybe an hour. I've looked into both before on google maps.

Written By: karen on 02/13/16 at 8:24 am

I work 8 till 4.30 with an hour for lunch during term time.  Plus I have to do a few days during the school holidays, that I tend to do as a morning session as needed.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 8:35 am

My working hours are 9-1 and the good thing is I don't really have rules. All I do is push carts, take breaks and go home, that's about the jist of it.

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/16 at 9:55 am

All you people with your fancy lunch periods and breaks  :P

I worked 15hrs last night and all I get are bathroom breaks.

I work 12 tonight.  My total this week will be 60hrs.

Next week I go to Arizona so I get the week off!

Written By: Howard on 02/13/16 at 3:44 pm

All you people with your fancy lunch periods and breaks  :P

I worked 15hrs last night and all I get are bathroom breaks.

I work 12 tonight.  My total this week will be 60hrs.

Next week I go to Arizona so I get the week off!

Who will take your place while you're gone? ???

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/16 at 7:34 pm

Who will take your place while you're gone? ???

People are working overtime so I can go.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/13/16 at 8:08 pm

I normally work 40 hours a week. I get 1/2 hour for lunch each day and where I work it is 8 for 8.
I am on my feet all day and working all 8 hours of the day. I also get 1 paid holiday a year, election day.
It is grueling work but I get paid fairly well so it's all good.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/16 at 3:29 pm

My hours at work are weird. Now that my hours are permanent which is good for me, I have 9am-1pm but the problem is on Sundays after I leave at 1pm, there is this 5 hour gap and nobody comes in until 6pm, so there's no one doing the 1pm-6pm. Do you understand this? ???

Written By: Ripley on 02/14/16 at 4:14 pm

My hours at work are weird. Now that my hours are permanent which is good for me, I have 9am-1pm but the problem is on Sundays after I leave at 1pm, there is this 5 hour gap and nobody comes in until 6pm, so there's no one doing the 1pm-6pm. Do you understand this? ???

We have gaps like that at my work too

Written By: karen on 02/15/16 at 5:24 am

Probably a quieter time in the store, Howard

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/15/16 at 11:15 am

Even more quitier on the night shift. Less managers on duty too.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/16 at 3:40 pm

We have gaps like that at my work too

But I don't understand the gaps. Why have a 5 hour gap with no cart person? Why don't they have someone do carts from 1-5 or maybe 1-6 even, How hard is that?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/15/16 at 3:41 pm

That could be the answer.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/16 at 3:41 pm

Even more quitier on the night shift. Less managers on duty too.

and plus you have more carts up there.

Written By: Ripley on 03/11/16 at 10:40 am

Tuesdays - Saturdays: 7-11
Sundays: 8-12

Written By: Howard on 03/11/16 at 4:35 pm

Sunday-Thursday 9-1
Friday And Saturday days off

Check for new replies or respond here...