inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which New Word Have You Learnt Today?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/16 at 3:07 am

When researching on Philippine Presidents I discovered a descriptive word that described Ferdinand Marcos.

Kleptocrat

Derived from:

Kleptocracy, alternatively cleptocracy or kleptarchy, (from Greek: κλέπτης - kleptēs, "thief" and κράτος – kratos, "power, rule", hence "rule by thieves") is a term applied to a government seen as having a particularly severe and systemic problem with officials or a ruling class (collectively, kleptocrats) taking advantage of corruption to extend their personal wealth and political power. Typically this system involves the embezzlement of state funds at the expense of the wider population, sometimes without even the pretense of honest service.

I have previously known 'klepto' from kleptomaniac, a person who compulsively steals, and 'crat', from member of a ruling body.

Subject: Re: Which New Word Have You Learnt Today?

Written By: nally on 09/01/16 at 6:51 pm

When researching on Philippine Presidents I discovered a descriptive word that described Ferdinand Marcos.

Kleptocrat

Derived from:

Kleptocracy, alternatively cleptocracy or kleptarchy, (from Greek: κλέπτης - kleptēs, "thief" and κράτος – kratos, "power, rule", hence "rule by thieves") is a term applied to a government seen as having a particularly severe and systemic problem with officials or a ruling class (collectively, kleptocrats) taking advantage of corruption to extend their personal wealth and political power. Typically this system involves the embezzlement of state funds at the expense of the wider population, sometimes without even the pretense of honest service.

That is quite interesting. O0

I have previously known 'klepto' from kleptomaniac, a person who compulsively steals, and 'crat', from member of a ruling body.

I knew those same roots as well, with the respective meanings. :) Put 'em together and you have a new word!

Subject: Re: Which New Word Have You Learnt Today?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/17 at 5:52 am

On film research I discovered this word:

psychopharmacologist

The scientific study of the effects drugs have on mood, sensation, thinking, and behavior.

Check for new replies or respond here...