inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Big Is Your City?

Written By: Ripley on 04/10/17 at 5:05 pm

How big is the city or town you live in? Is it a small town? A huge one? Or perhaps in the middle?

Mine is very large! I've lived here all of my life. I remember how big it was back in my primary growing up years, the 90's. And it's so much bigger. There were big empty fields that have turned into shopped centers and housing developments. But as good as it sounds that the city keeps thriving, I miss seeing those empty fields. My city has actually taken over part of the smaller towns' area making them even smaller.

It is broken down by 6 different areas. Northwest, Northeast, Southwest, Southeast, Downtown and Old town. Also, there are several smaller cities surrounding us that are part of our Metropolitan area. They are such a part of us that if a person is actually from one of them they might as well say they're from the big city!

I don't generally reveal my city name online. Unless I've Imed someone a lot and am semi close to them. However, I am from the Plains. That central area. Tornado Alley! One of those states. There are some farms around but it is very much a "city" where I am located.

I don't expect anyone to say where they're from or even the area of the country or globe for that matter. But I'm just curious how big of a city you live in and if it is like mine, a Metropolitan city.

Subject: Re: How Big Is Your City?

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/17 at 6:08 pm

Toronto is very big! It's the fourth largest city in North America after New York, Los Angeles and Mexico City.

There's Toronto proper, with a population of 2.6 million. It's usually divided into five parts: Downtown, East York, North York, Etobicoke and Scarborough. But people don't talk about which part they're from, but rather which neighbourhood, of which there are 140! After you live here long enough you become fluent with the names. ;D

I grew up in East York, the smallest part, with a population of 118,000. But that's in a tiny space of 21 km2 or 8 square miles, so that's very dense!  It's a 10 minute subway ride from downtown and it's renowned for its beautiful Victorian architecture and having the best beaches in Toronto. I've seen it go from being very middle/working class to it becoming gentrified and invaded with hipsters very quickly.  :o

Then there are the suburbs surrounding Toronto, which along with Toronto make up what we call The Greater Toronto Area (GTA). There are tons of suburbs, but generally, they're divided into 4 regions: Halton (Far West), Peel (West), York (North) and Durham (East). I currently live in York Region, which has a population of 1.1 million. It's world famous for the Chinese/Cantonese food. ;D

Outside of the immediate suburbs, there's a very large Greenbelt. It's basically environmentally-sensitive agricultural land that protects Toronto from floods. It's very scenic. I live a few minutes away from it.

Outside the Greenbelt are a ring of big cities surrounding Toronto, which along with Toronto make up what we call The Golden Horseshoe (because it's shaped like a horseshoe!). They're their own unique cities (complete with their own suburbs), but their economies rely heavily on Toronto. I was born and grew up in one such city: Hamilton (pop. 750,000). There are others like Kitchener-Waterloo (pop. 500,000) and St. Catharines–Niagara Falls (pop. 400,000).

In short,
Downtown Toronto = population 700,000
Toronto proper = 2,600,000
Greater Toronto Area = 6,500,000
Golden Horseshoe = 9,200,000

:)

Written By: Ripley on 04/10/17 at 6:10 pm

Thanks for your response! That's some interesting stuff! 😊

Written By: 80sfan on 04/10/17 at 6:50 pm

My city isn't a small town, but it isn't a big city, either. We have a population of 240,000 people the last time I checked.

I'm from the middle of America, the Midwest.

Written By: Ripley on 04/10/17 at 8:23 pm

Wow, compared to my city that's not many :P but the smaller surrounding cities have even less than that though.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/10/17 at 8:28 pm

^ ^

Still a somewhat small city, my town has 268,700 people, as of 2013. I just fact checked.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 8:34 pm

My city is very large. I'm from NYC and it's home to 8.4 million people - the most populated city in the USA.

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/17 at 9:55 pm

My city is very large. I'm from NYC and it's home to 8.4 million people - the most populated city in the USA.

I went to New York in 1999. It was a lot of fun. :D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 9:57 pm

I went to New York in 1999. It was a lot of fun. :D

Awesome. Do you remember what month?

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/17 at 9:58 pm

Awesome. Do you remember what month?

Mid-December, for about 2 weeks. Sadly, it wasn't for New Years, so I didn't get to see the ball drop for 2000!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 10:00 pm

Mid-December, for about 2 weeks. Sadly, it wasn't for New Years, so I didn't get to see the ball drop for 2000!

That's OK. I was just 5 months old then....:P. You might have seen me....;). I'm glad you enjoyed NYC.

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/17 at 10:07 pm

That's OK. I was just 5 months old then....:P. You might have seen me....;). I'm glad you enjoyed NYC.

I may or may not have seen NewYorkRaen being born.  :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 10:09 pm

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D. He was born on Dec. 21st....very late in the year. It would be hilarious if you actually did ;D.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/10/17 at 11:01 pm

The city I live in, Wollongong, is the third largest city in the state of New South Wales and the tenth largest city in Australia. It has a population of 295,842, according to the 2016 census. Geographically, the metropolitan area is really long and narrow, because the city is situated on a coastal plain between the escarpment to the west and the Tasman Sea to the east. It is about 73 kilometres (roughly 45.3 miles) from the northernmost suburb to the southernmost suburb in the area. The Wollongong CBD (downtown) is only 84 kilometres (52.1 miles) south of the Sydney CBD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wollongong

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 11:03 pm

The city I live in, Wollongong, is the third largest city in the state of New South Wales and the tenth largest city in Australia. It has a population of 295,842, according to the 2016 census. Geographically, the metropolitan area is really long and narrow, because the city is situated on a coastal plain between the escarpment to the west and the Tasman Sea to the east. It is about 73 kilometres (roughly 45.3 miles) from the northernmost suburb to the southernmost suburb in the area. The Wollongong CBD (downtown) is only 84 kilometres (52.1 miles) south of the Sydney CBD.

That's interesting. Your city looks beautiful. BTW, Wollongong sounds kind of Chinese...;D.

Written By: Ripley on 04/10/17 at 11:07 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one from such a big place 😊

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/10/17 at 11:08 pm

That's interesting. Your city looks beautiful. BTW, Wollongong sounds kind of Chinese...;D.

Haha, it does a bit. :P It's actually an Indigenous Australian word meaning "seas of the South".

Written By: Ripley on 04/10/17 at 11:09 pm

I want to go to Australia so bad! Especially Gold Coast and Brisbane.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 11:10 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one from such a big place 😊

Yay!. We're the best 8).

Haha, it does a bit. :P It's actually an Indigenous Australian word meaning "seas of the South".

That's cool.

Written By: Ripley on 04/10/17 at 11:14 pm

Yes we are!

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/10/17 at 11:14 pm

I want to go to Australia so bad! Especially Gold Coast and Brisbane.

Hopefully one day you will be able to. :)

Written By: Ripley on 04/10/17 at 11:15 pm

Hopefully one day you will be able to. :)

Yeah I hope so. Have you been to the states?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/10/17 at 11:16 pm

I already admitted it in other comments, so I might as well spit it out. I'm from Nebraska.  :)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/10/17 at 11:18 pm

Yeah I hope so. Have you been to the states?

No I haven't. I have never traveled overseas before (not unless you consider going to Tasmania as traveling overseas. :P). I would like to visit Canada, New Zealand and the UK if I ever get the chance. :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 11:22 pm

I already admitted it in other comments, so I might as well spit it out. I'm from Nebraska.  :)

I found a Cornhusker. RARE SPECIES you guys are ;D ;D ;D.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/10/17 at 11:26 pm

I found a Cornhusker. RARE SPECIES you guys are ;D ;D ;D.

There's another person on here, who is also a Cornhusker. But I'll let her/him reveal herself/himself, if the person wants to.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 11:30 pm

There's another person on here, who is also a Cornhusker. But I'll let her/him reveal herself/himself, if the person wants to.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Can I catch y'all with my Poké Ball? ;)  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/11/17 at 4:39 pm

I'm also from New York City.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/11/17 at 4:41 pm

My city is 372.4 mi²

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/17 at 4:44 pm

I'm also from New York City.

Awesome 8).

Written By: Howard on 04/11/17 at 5:25 pm

Awesome 8).

Queens?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/17 at 5:27 pm

Queens?

Nah but I'm right next to Queens. Brooklyn in da house! ;)

Written By: Howard on 04/12/17 at 6:57 am

Nah but I'm right next to Queens. Brooklyn in da house! ;)

Which part of Brooklyn?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 10:05 am

Which part of Brooklyn?

Bay Ridge.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/17 at 2:50 pm

Bay Ridge.

Are you near Atlantic Avenue? ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 2:51 pm

Are you near Atlantic Avenue? ???

No.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/17 at 3:01 pm

No.

Have you ever been there? ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 3:03 pm

Have you ever been there? ???

Yes, definitely.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 6:28 pm

Nah, I was born in Manhattan, while my parents lived in Brooklyn at the time. I was in the hospital that I was born in for the first five days of my life, since my mom had to recover from a C-section.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 6:38 pm

Nah, I was born in Manhattan, while my parents lived in Brooklyn at the time. I was in the hospital that I was born in for the first five days of my life, since my mom had to recover from a C-section.

It's a joke bruv.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 6:49 pm

It's a joke bruv.

oh.

:(

Written By: Howard on 04/13/17 at 8:00 am

Yes, definitely.

I work at a Stop N Shop on Atlantic Avenue and let me tell you that neighborhood is so horrible and disgusting looking, the second I get off the bus, it reeks from the scent of weed and just about everywhere I walk there is so much litter and graffiti on the ground and sometimes on grass too, bottles of Corona and Hennessy litter the sidewalks as well as dirty diapers and cigarettes too so as you can see from what I had written, it's not the most pleasant area to work in.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 9:30 am

I work at a Stop N Shop on Atlantic Avenue and let me tell you that neighborhood is so horrible and disgusting looking, the second I get off the bus, it reeks from the scent of weed and just about everywhere I walk there is so much litter and graffiti on the ground and sometimes on grass too, bottles of Corona and Hennessy litter the sidewalks as well as dirty diapers and cigarettes too so as you can see from what I had written, it's not the most pleasant area to work in.

8-P Ugh, that's unfortunate that you have to work in such a dirty area.

Written By: Howard on 04/13/17 at 1:29 pm

8-P Ugh, that's unfortunate that you have to work in such a dirty area.

The Union had hardly any openings on Long Island which I wanted so then Atlantic Avenue was one of my other choices and I took it and I've been working in that area going on 7 years next week.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 1:33 pm

The Union had hardly any openings on Long Island which I wanted so then Atlantic Avenue was one of my other choices and I took it and I've been working in that area going on 7 years next week.

Well, you've had to tough it out for 7 years. Maybe, things will change.

Written By: Howard on 04/14/17 at 5:53 am

Well, you've had to tough it out for 7 years. Maybe, things will change.

toughing out the smell of weed and people smoking cigarettes occasionally is worse to tough out over there. 8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/17 at 6:47 am

How big is the city or town you live in? Is it a small town? A huge one? Or perhaps in the middle?

Mine is very large! I've lived here all of my life. I remember how big it was back in my primary growing up years, the 90's. And it's so much bigger. There were big empty fields that have turned into shopped centers and housing developments. But as good as it sounds that the city keeps thriving, I miss seeing those empty fields. My city has actually taken over part of the smaller towns' area making them even smaller.

It is broken down by 6 different areas. Northwest, Northeast, Southwest, Southeast, Downtown and Old town. Also, there are several smaller cities surrounding us that are part of our Metropolitan area. They are such a part of us that if a person is actually from one of them they might as well say they're from the big city!

I don't generally reveal my city name online. Unless I've Imed someone a lot and am semi close to them. However, I am from the Plains. That central area. Tornado Alley! One of those states. There are some farms around but it is very much a "city" where I am located.

I don't expect anyone to say where they're from or even the area of the country or globe for that matter. But I'm just curious how big of a city you live in and if it is like mine, a Metropolitan city.
In population or area?  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/14/17 at 11:29 am

toughing out the smell of weed and people smoking cigarettes occasionally is worse to tough out over there. 8-P

That's unfortunate 8-P.

Written By: Howard on 04/14/17 at 6:01 pm

That's unfortunate 8-P.

Does where you live people do weed? ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/14/17 at 6:02 pm

No.

Written By: Howard on 04/14/17 at 6:08 pm

No.

What about smoke cigarettes and drink beer? ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/14/17 at 6:20 pm

What about smoke cigarettes and drink beer? ???

I don't see any beer bottles but a few/some cigarette buds on the ground but not on most streets near me.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/14/17 at 6:22 pm

As big as my hand.

Written By: Howard on 04/15/17 at 5:28 am

I don't see any beer bottles but a few/some cigarette buds on the ground but not on most streets near me.

So it's basically clean?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/17 at 6:01 am

It is pretty bad back in London!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/15/17 at 10:11 am

So it's basically clean?

Yeah, basically.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/15/17 at 11:16 am

Nope. But in my borough, they do heroin.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 04/15/17 at 5:38 pm

It is pretty bad back in London!

How bad is it? ???

Written By: Howard on 04/15/17 at 5:39 pm

Nope. But in my borough, they do heroin.  8-P

Ugh, God!  8-P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/15/17 at 5:41 pm

How bad is it? ???

I hear that smoking is very common in London and the rest of the UK. I also here that there are many dirty alleys in London. However, I've never been to London in my "conscious" life. My mother took me to London with her when I was 1 and a half in December 2000 & January 2001 but I obviously don't remember anything from that trip. Haven't been to London since.

Written By: 2001 on 04/16/17 at 12:50 am

I hear that smoking is very common in London and the rest of the UK. I also here that there are many dirty alleys in London. However, I've never been to London in my "conscious" life. My mother took me to London with her when I was 1 and a half in December 2000 & January 2001 but I obviously don't remember anything from that trip. Haven't been to London since.

I thought you said you went there for the 2012 Olympics? :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/17 at 12:56 am

How bad is it? ???
London is not that bad😁

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 1:00 am

I thought you said you went there for the 2012 Olympics? :o

Me? Never since that trip in 2000 and 2001. I was vacationing when I watched the 2012 Summer Olympics but I didn't vacation in London (who would do that?).

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/17 at 1:02 am

Me? Never since that trip in 2000 and 2001. I was vacationing when I watched the 2012 Summer Olympics but I didn't vacation in London (who would do that?).
I could not get tickets for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, but did manage to see some of the Paralympics.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 1:04 am

I could not get tickets for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, but did manage to see some of the Paralympics.

That's still cool.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/17 at 1:24 am

That's still cool.
We took many photos to preserve our memory of the occasion.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 1:26 am

We took many photos to preserve our memory of the occasion.

Awesome. I'll probably never go to any event of that kind.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/17 at 1:36 am

Awesome. I'll probably never go to any event of that kind.
In time, your time will come.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/19/17 at 10:39 pm

Cobourg, Ontario is starting to become a busy little party town of over 18,600 people, it might be more with the housing and condo developments, and is in between Toronto the capital city of Ontario, and Kingston, Ontario.
I hope they can get the housing crisis in Toronto under control so I can finally go home and see if I can actually find something there.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Written By: 2001 on 04/19/17 at 10:56 pm

Cobourg, Ontario is starting to become a busy little party town of over 18,600 people, it might be more with the housing and condo developments, and is in between Toronto the capital city of Ontario, and Kingston, Ontario.
I hope they can get the housing crisis in Toronto under control so I can finally go home and see if I can actually find something there.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

It looks pretty!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/19/17 at 11:18 pm

It looks pretty!

If you've ever been here before you wouldn't recognize it. Things that weren't even here 20 or even 30 years ago that are here now you wouldn't recognize it.  I mean half of the time I don't even recognize it.  Even the things that were here 20 or 30 years ago are hardly recognizable.  LOL! ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...