inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How did you celebrate your 30th birthday?

Written By: Brian06 on 05/06/17 at 12:02 am

I turn the big 3-0 in just over a week, how should I celebrate? I'm going to be 30 years old!  :o

Subject: Re: How did you celebrate your 30th birthday?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/06/17 at 12:25 am

I don't know. I'm only 28! ;D

I'd go buy a cake and put a big 3-0 on it!  8)

Written By: Brian06 on 05/06/17 at 12:31 am

I'm 29 still for another 8-9 days LOL, but I'm certainly ready for my 30s.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/17 at 12:52 am

My 30th birthday was more than several years now, and I have reflect hard on what I did. If I am thinking of the right year, it was when I could not get time off and had to work the late shift I was on. So more than likely I met up with my family at a restaurant when my duties had finished.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/06/17 at 1:58 am

My 30th birthday was more than several years now, and I have reflect hard on what I did. If I am thinking of the right year, it was when I could not get time off and had to work the late shift I was on. So more than likely I met up with my family at a restaurant when my duties had finished.

That wasn't very fun, too bad you had to work the late shift.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/17 at 2:02 am

That wasn't very fun, too bad you had to work the late shift.
No fun at all! I was new to the job, therefore I could not get my leave when I wanted it until I was firmly establish. In future years, I always made a point of it.

Written By: karen on 05/07/17 at 10:45 am

My birthday is in August. For my 30th birthday I remember that family and friends came to our house for a barbecue. My daughter was about 9 months old and accidentally got hit on the nose by a badly thrown frisbee.

Written By: annimal on 05/07/17 at 3:57 pm

My 30th birthday was 4 years ago and counting.

Written By: Setemstraight on 05/07/17 at 4:49 pm

28, 30 really no difference other then the number it self. 28 is more like 30 then 21 that's for sure. You're already over the hill ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/07/17 at 5:02 pm

I honestly can't remember where I was when I turned 30, I was probably out on the road somewhere.

If you're a little freaked out about turning 30 then I can reassure you that at least for me my 30s were MUCH better than my 20s.

Get together with your buddies, have a few drinks and maybe they can get you some of those black balloons or something.  ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 05/07/17 at 5:03 pm

28, 30 really no difference other then the number it self. 28 is more like 30 then 21 that's for sure. You're already over the hill ;D

Yeah 28 is probably when you officially start feeling "almost 30". There was a guy several years back on here that said the lead up to turning 30 was worse than actually turning 30, he was probably right.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/07/17 at 5:06 pm

I honestly can't remember where I was when I turned 30, I was probably out on the road somewhere.

If you're a little freaked out about turning 30 then I can reassure you that at least for me my 30s were MUCH better than my 20s.

Get together with your buddies, have a few drinks and maybe they can get you some of those black balloons or something.  >:(

Yeah I'm a little worried in a sense but I agree the 30s are MUCH better so I'm happy actually. My 20s were traumatic tbh but that's what's they're for I guess, you learn from those scars from your 20s.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/07/17 at 5:59 pm

Yeah I'm a little worried in a sense but I agree the 30s are MUCH better so I'm happy actually. My 20s were traumatic tbh but that's what's they're for I guess, you learn from those scars from your 20s.

Also I didn't mean to put the mad emoji at the end of that post.  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/07/17 at 6:02 pm

Get together with your buddies, have a few drinks and maybe they can get you some of those black balloons or something.  ;D

Whoa! Someone's a bitter Ben!!!  :D  :D  :D

Written By: Setemstraight on 05/07/17 at 6:31 pm

Hey man life is full of ups and downs no matter how old you are. And will you always make mistakes regardless of age. Like I always say man don't live life by one specific decade of life, just to the fullest while you're here. 20s, 30s, 40s it doesn't matter.

Written By: Setemstraight on 05/07/17 at 6:42 pm

Yeah 28 is probably when you officially start feeling "almost 30". There was a guy several years back on here that said the lead up to turning 30 was worse than actually turning 30, he was probably right.

I started feeling "almost 30" around 26. It's like every year after 25 it's gets a little me "scary" I guess as you start nearing 30. But once you get there you realize it's nothing but another number, just a 3 instead of a 2 in front. As far as mentality wise there isn't  much difference between a 27 y/o and 32 y/o, of course that depends in the person. Some people like they're 18 at 40, some act 40 at 21. But it's like that when you approach any decade I guess. It's probably going to be the same when we approach 40, then 50, and so on.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/07/17 at 6:45 pm

Whoa! Someone's a bitter Ben!!!  :D  :D  :D

That happens after you turn 40. :-[  ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 05/07/17 at 7:00 pm

I started feeling "almost 30" around 26. It's like every year after 25 it's gets a little me "scary" I guess as you start nearing 30. But once you get there you realize it's nothing but another number, just a 3 instead of a 2 in front. As far as mentality wise there is much difference between a 27 y/o and 32 y/o, of course that depends in the person. Some people like they're 18 at 40, some act 40 at 21. But it's like that when you approach any decade I guess. It's probably going to be the same when we approach 40, then 50, and so on.

The biggest difference between 20 and 30 for me is how view 40 year olds. I honestly used to think 40 was "older" when I was 20. Now I think of a 40 year old and they're a bit older than me but still quite young. 50's not that bad either, heck even 60 isn't really that bad (60 is still middle aged imo, but 70 isn't anymore), 70 does seem kinda scary though (my mom turns 70 in a few years that scares me a bit). But...70 is still A LOT younger than 90 at least, God it's really all relative isn't it?  ;D

Written By: annimal on 05/07/17 at 7:49 pm

I'm still?  um?  not grown up. 

Written By: Brian06 on 05/07/17 at 7:55 pm

I'm still?  um?  not grown up.

Grown ups are all just big kids in general, we mature some sure over time but we're still the same people whether we're 10 years old or 90 years old.

Written By: Setemstraight on 05/07/17 at 8:20 pm

The biggest difference between 20 and 30 for me is how view 40 year olds. I honestly used to think 40 was "older" when I was 20. Now I think of a 40 year old and they're a bit older than me but still quite young. 50's not that bad either, heck even 60 isn't really that bad (60 is still middle aged imo, but 70 isn't anymore), 70 does seem kinda scary though (my mom turns 70 in a few years that scares me a bit). But...70 is still A LOT younger than 90 at least, God it's really all relative isn't it?  ;D

It is. I meant to say in my op there isn't much difference between 27 and 32 mentality wise. I type way to fast sometimes  ;D

Written By: annimal on 05/07/17 at 8:57 pm

Grown ups are all just big kids in general, we mature some sure over time but we're still the same people whether we're 10 years old or 90 years old.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/07/17 at 10:59 pm

What I noticed after I hit my 30's is that my co-workers who were in their 40's and 50's stopped looking down on me as being a kid and began respecting me more as an equal.

And once I got into my 30's I realized that a lot of people in their 40's and 50's are still big kids at heart and age stopped mattering so much and I could joke around and be friends with them on an equal footing. It seems a lot of people in their 20's try too hard to act like mature adults or know-it-alls  but once you get older you just don't care as much.  ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 05/07/17 at 11:05 pm

What I noticed after I hit my 30's is that my co-workers who were in their 40's and 50's stopped looking down on me as being a kid and began respecting me more as an equal.

And once I got into my 30's I realized that a lot of people in their 40's and 50's are still big kids at heart and age stopped mattering so much and I could joke around and be friends with them on an equal footing. It seems a lot of people in their 20's try too hard to act like mature adults or know-it-alls  but once you get older you just don't care as much.  ;D

Yeah I think it goes both ways in your 30s you realize people in their 40s and 50s are not old (like you used to think in your 20s) and they realize you're not a kid. The truth is we're ultimately all just trying to make it and put food on the table no matter how old we are.

Written By: Setemstraight on 05/07/17 at 11:58 pm

That's typical agism ignorance imo. I've none a lot of people who were in their 20s and wise and I knew people in their 40s who were dumb as s#!+.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/08/17 at 12:09 am

That's typical agism ignorance imo. I've none a lot of people who were in their 20s and wise and I knew people in their 40s who were dumb as s#!+.

I know that, I was just referring to my own personal experience.

Also, you should at least have a basic grasp of the English language before you go around accusing people of being ignorant.  It's "ageism," not "agism." Plus, I believe the word you were looking for was "known," and not "none. "  ::) ::) ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 05/08/17 at 12:14 am

Ehh it's just perspective, I mean someone who's 25 years old was only a teenager what 6-10 years ago of course when you're 45 that seems barely more than kid, as you get into your 30s and you truly get distant from your teens and well into adulthood then that changes over time. I mean someone who's 20 year old seems like a "kid" to me now because I mean they're BARELY legal, when I was that age I thought I was a hot shot but geez that's like a baby!  :D It used to annoy me when I was 18-25 years old but I get it now more. It's not neccessarily ageism, it's more just that 20s is VERY young that's all.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/08/17 at 12:48 am

I know. I see it sometimes, too.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/08/17 at 1:02 am

Also, you should at least have a basic grasp of the English language before you go around accusing people of being ignorant.  It's "ageism," not "agism." Plus, I believe the word you were looking for was "known," and not "none. "  ::) ::) ::)

Setemstraight could have been more sensitive with his/her comment, some of those people are probably your friends and acquaintances.

Written By: Setemstraight on 05/08/17 at 1:24 am

You need to chill out buddy. I wasn't talking to about you. I was talking about people who are older. You need to check yourself before you attack people on here.

Written By: Setemstraight on 05/08/17 at 1:26 am

Setemstraight could have been more sensitive with his/her comment, some of those people are probably your friends and acquaintances.

I was talking older people in general. This guy just made an a$$ out of his self for no reason

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/08/17 at 2:02 am

(Sorry about this, Brian.)

You need to chill out buddy. I wasn't talking to about you. I was talking about people who are older. You need to check yourself before you attack people on here.

Actually, you kind of were. All I said was this:

There is absolutely nothing malicious or condescending in that statement, again all I was doing was sharing my own personal experience. Yet you had to jump in and say "TYPICAL AGIST IGNORANCE!!1!" Please explain to me what is ageist or ignorant about that statement.

Written By: Setemstraight on 05/08/17 at 2:25 am

(Sorry about this, Brian.)

Actually, you kind of were. All I said was this:

There is absolutely nothing malicious or condescending in that statement, again all I was doing was sharing my own personal experience. Yet you had to jump in and say "TYPICAL AGIST IGNORANCE!!1!" Please explain to me what is ageist or ignorant about that statement.

Well you said since you been in your 30s people in their 40s and 50s stop looking down on you as a kid and started looking at you as an equal. To me what's ageist about it is because you were in your 20s they assume you were just a dumbass "kid". My point was just because someone is in they're 20s doesn't always mean they don't know much or aren't very wise. Then you have some people who are older who arent very wise for their age and still act like kids. Some people are forced to grow up at an early age. Maybe "ageist" wasn't the right word to use, stereotyping is better way of putting it.

I didn't say anywhere in my comment that YOU were being ageist, I was talking about older people, like the ones you mentioned. I don't how you would even confuse that as an attack on you.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/08/17 at 12:47 pm

Well you said since you been in your 30s people in their 40s and 50s stop looking down on you as a kid and started looking at you as an equal. To me what's ageist about it is because you were in your 20s they assume you were just a dumbass "kid". My point was just because someone is in they're 20s doesn't always mean they don't know much or aren't very wise. Then you have some people who are older who arent very wise for their age and still act like kids. Some people are forced to grow up at an early age. Maybe "ageist" wasn't the right word to use, stereotyping is better way of putting it.

I didn't say anywhere in my comment that YOU were being ageist, I was talking about older people, like the ones you mentioned. I don't how you would even confuse that as an attack on you.

I was not trying to make any kind of dig at people in their 20s. Perhaps you may have misinterpreted my remark as such, just as I misinterpreted your reply as being more personal than it actually was. I was simply trying to reassure Brian that your thirties are a stage in your life that you should look forward to and not dread.

Also I want to apologize for insulting you earlier. It was unnecessary and I should have handled that better. I just felt that your remark about ageist ignorance also seemed unnecessary (in this thread anyway) and it rubbed me the wrong way.

Hopefully we can move past this and get this thread back on a positive track.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/08/17 at 1:00 pm

My 30th birthday is in two months. I plan on celebrating it by getting very drunk. Of course, that wont be much different than my previous birthdays. ;D

Written By: Setemstraight on 05/08/17 at 1:49 pm

I was not trying to make any kind of dig at people in their 20s. Perhaps you may have misinterpreted my remark as such, just as I misinterpreted your reply as being more personal than it actually was. I was simply trying to reassure Brian that your thirties are a stage in your life that you should look forward to and not dread.

Also I want to apologize for insulting you earlier. It was unnecessary and I should have handled that better. I just felt that your remark about ageist ignorance also seemed unnecessary (in this thread anyway) and it rubbed me the wrong way.

Hopefully we can move past this and get this thread back on a positive track.

👍👍 sounds good

Written By: Howard on 05/08/17 at 5:20 pm

My 30th birthday is in two months. I plan on celebrating it by getting very drunk. Of course, that wont be much different than my previous birthdays. ;D

What's your choice of alcoholic beverage?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/08/17 at 5:27 pm

Sometimes when I read a comment, or comments, at night, my eyes play tricks on me (my brain), probably from being tired. It's easy to take things out of context when your mind sees things. Also, it was between 12:00 and 1:00 AM, so people were tired and cranky.

That's why I avoid long paragraphs, comments, or replies, after like 11:00 PM.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/14/17 at 4:14 pm

I just ate out for lunch and had a good time with my mother and some friends.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/14/17 at 7:50 pm

Well I marked the last day of my 20s with beef stew and red wine. Now having champagne LOL.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/17 at 8:18 pm

Well I marked the last day of my 20s with beef stew and red wine. Now having champagne LOL.  ;D
O0

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/01/17 at 5:37 pm

For my 30th, I wanted flowers. I didn't care what kind of flowers or from whom. So, you know what the guy I was with gave me? A male stripper.  ::)  I would have been much happier with flowers.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...