inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sleep

Written By: Ripley on 05/22/17 at 4:36 pm

On this post I'm going to go over a few different things regarding the topic of Sleep. I know that we have talked, at least briefly, about some of this stuff. But I'm curious about everyone else's sleep patterns, preferences, thoughts, opinions and experiences. This is not for a research stuff but I am rather curious. I started to think of this this after waking up from a long period of sleep, unusual for me.

*Hours of Sleep Per Night/Day

How many hours do you typically get and how many do you prefer? For me, it's anywhere from 4 to 10 hours. It depends on the circumstances. Though my preference is around 8 hours.

*Hours Slept in a Row

How many hours do you sleep in a row without being disturbed? Whether it be via your bladder, a noise or simply just waking up? And what are your thoughts on this? This is where I'm not like most people. There have been times where I have slept for 10 hours in a row and I woke up surprised, and not in and exciting way. Today it was 8 hours. While most people would welcome the idea of sleeping for several hours in a row, if I sleep anymore than 6 in a row I start feeling all weird, sort of freaked out. I have to wake up at least once during my sleep. Even if it's just for a few seconds. Then I go back and get the rest of my sleep. It is rare for me to sleep more than 3 interrupted. Perhaps I am just so used to that and it is the reason I wake up slightly disturbed. I just start thinking of sleeping and never waking up again. There is nothing wrong with my brain, I just have deep thoughts on most things, including this. But if you have thoughts on sleeping for long periods of time please share them.

*Light Sleeper Vs. Heavy Sleeper

Are you a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Or maybe you're like me and in between? With light sleeping there is the problem of little noises waking you up. But for me, I can sleep with lights on most of the time. And I frequently sleep with the TV on or music. However, with heavy sleeping there is the problem of not being able to wake up easily if an emergency happens. Such as weather sirens. One time when I was little, I don't think my sister was even born yet, there was a tornado warning. The sirens didn't wake my dad up and neither could my mom. Fortunately one never came. Well I can easily be woken up by a loud noise or my mom talking in my ear. But she can take a shower and I won't wake to the sound. I like being in the middle.

*Sleepwalking etc.

Do any of you have any experiences with sleepwalking or doing other things in your sleep? I have done things in my sleep, just minor such as putting my phone on the side table when I fell asleep with it in my hands. But there was one instance where I did something that seems impossible. This was back in 2010. I fell asleep on the end of my bed, on my stomach, with no covers on while listening to a Dane Cook CD. I woke up on the end I slept on, under the covers, on my back. And the CD wasn't playing, big deal right? It turns out that I had gotten up, took the CD out of the stereo, put it back in it's case and put it away where the CDs go. Then gotten in bed. All while asleep! Fortunately this was my only experience and it was minor. But I know others have had worse situations or have a regular case of doing things beyond normal in their sleep. Please share your experiences.

*Sleep Paralysis and/or Seeing Your Own Spirit

There is a whole topic on Paralysis on the board. But I mainly want to know if you have ever seen your own self floating above you or standing beside your bed. In some cases what is seen in Paralysis is one's own self. Other times the person is not feeling as if they are being held down or can't breathe but they simply see themselves while they are asleep or not fully awake. So I guess technically it's not Paralysis in those cases.

Subject: Re: Sleep

Written By: Howard on 07/26/17 at 7:14 am

On my days off I get between 7-8 hours of sleep and on my work days I get between 6-7 hours.

Written By: annimal on 07/26/17 at 10:48 am

I usually get about 10 and usually all week.  I'd probably like a little less, but I have someone always telling me to be quiet  all the time.  I never done anything in my sleep, but sometimes I'll get the most crazy dreams and sometimes I'll get none. 

Written By: 2001 on 07/26/17 at 11:07 am

I sleep for 6-7 hours a day, sometimes 8. It annoys me sometimes how little sleep I need. Like, on the weekend, I went to bed at 1, and woke up at 7. I had nothing to be doing up that early, so I tried to go back to sleep, but nope: 6 hours was all I needed.  >:(

I'm a light sleeper, but I don't wake up for just any noise, only the important ones like a doorbell or someone walking into my room. For most my life, I didn't have my own room, so hearing people talk or laugh doesn't wake me up, and I can sleep with the lights on too.

I never sleep walked or sleep talked before.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/26/17 at 2:06 pm

I sleep for 6-7 hours a day, sometimes 8. It annoys me sometimes how little sleep I need. Like, on the weekend, I went to bed at 1, and woke up at 7. I had nothing to be doing up that early, so I tried to go back to sleep, but nope: 6 hours was all I needed.  >:(

I'm a light sleeper, but I don't wake up for just any noise, only the important ones like a doorbell or someone walking into my room. For most my life, I didn't have my own room, so hearing people talk or laugh doesn't wake me up, and I can sleep with the lights on too.

I never sleep walked or sleep talked before.

I just take these.....

http://www.helpguide.org/images/sleep/sleeping-pills-500.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/26/17 at 2:16 pm

I just take these.....

http://www.helpguide.org/images/sleep/sleeping-pills-500.jpg

just don't take too much of them. :o

Written By: 80sfan on 07/26/17 at 2:21 pm

just don't take too much of them. :o

That's a lesson too.  :o

Written By: Howard on 07/26/17 at 2:24 pm

That's a lesson too.  :o

take too much of it and you'll never wake up.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/17 at 4:47 pm

The light goes out anywhere from 12-12:30. I usually drag myself out of bed about 9. But, I only sleep about 2 hours at a time. I would love to sleep the whole night through. It has happened once or twice but VERY rarely.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/27/17 at 2:52 pm

The light goes out anywhere from 12-12:30. I usually drag myself out of bed about 9. But, I only sleep about 2 hours at a time. I would love to sleep the whole night through. It has happened once or twice but VERY rarely.

Cat

Why do you sleep so little Cat? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/17 at 6:22 pm

Why do you sleep so little Cat? ???

I wish I knew. I wake up just about every 2 hours-usually because a hot flash wakes me up. Then it takes me a while to fall back asleep again. This is why I am tired more days.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...