inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: inthe00s "Cultural" Eras

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/24/17 at 2:43 am

I thought this would be good for something fun.  ;D We talk in numerous threads about how cultural eras change and what the defining factors were. However, how would you define the retrospective "eras" of inthe00s? What was each era defined by and what factored in the transitions? Here's my take on it: :P

1995-1998: Early Origins

According to the archive on this forum (which is found in the menu), the origins of this website date back to as early as 1995. Although, the archive itself states that it stretches back to 1998, so this era can probably be defined by the very early beginnings of inthe00s and the other boards respectively.

1998-2002: Y2K Period

I named this period after Y2K, because I couldn't think of a better name to describe this era of the inthe00s forums. :P Please feel free to come up with a better name! This era can be defined by the complete establishment of the inthe70s, 80s, 90s & 00s boards, which were completely independent of each other at that point in time. Those boards were relatively active, with each board having numerous topics created by the small community of members. While the majority of members who contributed during this time have since left for good, Indy Gent still contributes to the forums on a regular basis.

2003-2005: Consolidation Era

By this point in time, the boards had become well established and apart from a few minor things, there were no further changes. There are a fair few members (who either joined or contributed during this period of time) who are still active today, such as nally, Howard, Phillip Eno and mach!ne_head. :)

2006-2007: The Shift

It was around this period of time when decadeology began to become a regular topic on the inthe00s forums. It can also be marked by Donnie Darko's presence on the forums. There appears to have been a significant demographic shift during this era. A lot of the earlier members (those born in the '60s & '70s) seemed to have left by this point and '80s babies began to contribute regularly to the forums.

2008-2013: Stability Era

This era commenced with the greater crackdown on decadeology, which began to occur during the first half of 2008. The end of the era can be marked by the ceasing of inthe70s, inthe80s & inthe90s as independent boards/forums.

2014-Mid 2016: Silver Age

This era isn't too dissimilar to now. A fair proportion of members who are active today, were also active during this period of time as well. Another demographic shift occurred around the start of this era, with more Early-Mid '90s babies beginning to contribute to the forums. Decadeology seemed to have a bit of a resurgence during this time as well.

Late 2016-present: New Golden Era

The "New Golden Era" commenced in Late 2016, when another demographic shift occurred on the forums. It was around this time that many Late '90s babies began to join the forums, such as ReignMan, T-Rex, DesiredUsernamedWasTaken, MrSteamer and 1999 Baby 2000's Kid. For the first time in the forums history, 00's babies began to have an active presence on the forums, with Longaotian00, temaichi and HugMePlz joining this year. This era can also be defined by the widespread backlash of decadeology and generationology, as well as an increase in spam accounts.

What do you think? :) I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the topic as well!

Subject: Re: inthe00s "Cultural" Eras

Written By: 2001 on 08/30/17 at 12:26 pm

I wish I was here in that 2006-2012 period. Everyone sounded really casual and nice! :D

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/30/17 at 1:21 pm

I wish I didn't miss the 2004-2006 period. This site must have been really sick at that time.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/30/17 at 2:34 pm

I thought this would be good for something fun.  ;D We talk in numerous threads about how cultural eras change and what the defining factors were. However, how would you define the retrospective "eras" of inthe00s? What was each era defined by and what factored in the transitions? Here's my take on it: :P

1995-1998: Early Origins

According to the archive on this forum (which is found in the menu), the origins of this website date back to as early as 1995. Although, the archive itself states that it stretches back to 1998, so this era can probably be defined by the very early beginnings of inthe00s and the other boards respectively.

1998-2002: Y2K Period

I named this period after Y2K, because I couldn't think of a better name to describe this era of the inthe00s forums. :P Please feel free to come up with a better name! This era can be defined by the complete establishment of the inthe70s, 80s, 90s & 00s boards, which were completely independent of each other at that point in time. Those boards were relatively active, with each board having numerous topics created by the small community of members. While the majority of members who contributed during this time have since left for good, Indy Gent still contributes to the forums on a regular basis.

2003-2005: Consolidation Era

By this point in time, the boards had become well established and apart from a few minor things, there were no further changes. There are a fair few members (who either joined or contributed during this period of time) who are still active today, such as nally, Howard, Phillip Eno and mach!ne_head. :)

2006-2007: The Shift

It was around this period of time when decadeology began to become a regular topic on the inthe00s forums. It can also be marked by Donnie Darko's presence on the forums. There appears to have been a significant demographic shift during this era. A lot of the earlier members (those born in the '60s & '70s) seemed to have left by this point and '80s babies began to contribute regularly to the forums.

2008-2013: Stability Era

This era commenced with the greater crackdown on decadeology, which began to occur during the first half of 2008. The end of the era can be marked by the ceasing of inthe70s, inthe80s & inthe90s as independent boards/forums.

2014-Mid 2016: Silver Age

This era isn't too dissimilar to now. A fair proportion of members who are active today, were also active during this period of time as well. Another demographic shift occurred around the start of this era, with more Early-Mid '90s babies beginning to contribute to the forums. Decadeology seemed to have a bit of a resurgence during this time as well.

Late 2016-present: New Golden Era

The "New Golden Era" commenced in Late 2016, when another demographic shift occurred on the forums. It was around this time that many Late '90s babies began to join the forums, such as ReignMan, T-Rex, DesiredUsernamedWasTaken, MrSteamer and 1999 Baby 2000's Kid. For the first time in the forums history, 00's babies began to have an active presence on the forums, with Longaotian00, temaichi and HugMePlz joining this year. This era can also be defined by the widespread backlash of decadeology and generationology, as well as an increase in spam accounts.

What do you think? :) I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the topic as well!

I am in total agreement with this :).

Written By: 80sfan on 08/30/17 at 5:15 pm

The website was never perfect, but by 2009/2010, you could see cracks!  :(  :(  :(  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/17 at 5:34 pm

I can't remember exactly when it was, 2004(?), there were a few long-time board members were banned, and one guy, who started his own board had a major falling out with Chucky. The two were basically unrelated but happened simultaneously-which caused a mad exodus from the board. They went over to that other board. Many of the people who left, came back for a bit.

Also, in 2004, the entire board was revamped-it was off line for a few days before it came back up and all stats were lost but Chucky archived everything but everyone had to join again. That is why you will not find anyone who joined before April 2004.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=2.0

When Donnie Darko made his appearance, things here were pretty active. The issue with Donnie was the fact that he flooded the boards with all of his threads. If he only kept it one or two threads, there wouldn't have been a problem. But, because people were annoyed with it, Chucky went the opposite way and basically banned "decadology" from the board entirely. Yes, he banned Donnie but he was like a zombie that just wouldn't die and kept coming back over and over and over again. And that led to the mistrust of new members. Is this Donnie?

We had one major "convention" if you can call it that in March 2009 in Philadelphia.  http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=36402.0

Things started getting tense. In fact, we joked that the new motto should be "We know drama." Many people where starting to leave and went to Facebook. The ones who stayed were basically bickering. They thought that the golden era of the board had passed and this place wasn't as much fun as it used to be. Many people were b!tching that the place was toxic yet, they were making it toxic. There was still that mistrust of newbies and people who would sign up, never really felt comfortable and would leave. And then these people who would chase the new people off, b!tched that there weren't any new members.

Many of those people are still members but rarely come around. They will pop in from time to time but others have left for good.

For the past year or so, I have seen a new batch of active members. I would say that we are in a new era. I am glad that many of you think that this is a "new golden era." I don't know if I could call it "golden" or not but as a long time member, eras are as only good as its members.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 08/30/17 at 5:41 pm

I can't remember exactly when it was, 2004(?), there were a few long-time board members were banned, and one guy, who started his own board had a major falling out with Chucky. The two were basically unrelated but happened simultaneously-which caused a mad exodus from the board. They went over to that other board. Many of the people who left, came back for a bit.

Also, in 2004, the entire board was revamped-it was off line for a few days before it came back up and all stats were lost but Chucky archived everything but everyone had to join again. That is why you will not find anyone who joined before April 2004.

When Donnie Darko made his appearance, things here were pretty active. The issue with Donnie was the fact that he flooded the boards with all of his threads. If he only kept it one or two threads, there wouldn't have been a problem. But, because people were annoyed with it, Chucky went the opposite way and basically banned "decadology" from the board entirely. Yes, he banned Donnie but he was like a zombie that just wouldn't die and kept coming back over and over and over again. And that led to the mistrust of new members. Is this Donnie?

We had one major "convention" if you can call it that in March 2009 in Philadelphia.  http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=36402.0

Things started getting tense. In fact, we joked that the new motto should be "We know drama." Many people where starting to leave and went to Facebook. The ones who stayed were basically bickering. They thought that the golden era of the board had passed and this place wasn't as much fun as it used to be. Many people were b!tching that the place was toxic yet, they were making it toxic. There was still that mistrust of newbies and people who would sign up, never really felt comfortable and would leave. And then these people who would chase the new people off, b!tched that there weren't any new members.

Many of those people are still members but rarely come around. They will pop in from time to time but others have left for good.

For the past year or so, I have seen a new batch of active members. I would say that we are in a new era. I am glad that many of you think that this is a "new golden era." I don't know if I could call it "golden" or not but as a long time member, eras are as only good as its members.

Cat

Wow, there was already drama in 2004? Only three years into this site's history? That's not always a good omen.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/17 at 5:55 pm

Wow, there was already drama in 2004? Only three years into this site's history? That's not always a good omen.  ;D  ;D  ;D

It actually started in 1998. I came aboard in 2002.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 08/30/17 at 6:08 pm

Cat

Oh.  :o

Written By: 2001 on 08/30/17 at 6:52 pm

Cat

Wow, that's a very interesting and detailed history of the site's drama :o

I think it's a good thing that people now aren't suspicious of new members. It's always a shame when long time users leave, though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/17 at 6:57 pm

Wow, that's a very interesting and detailed history of the site's drama :o

I think it's a good thing that people now aren't suspicious of new members. It's always a shame when long time users leave, though.

I agree. There are some who I miss a lot-others, well, to tell you the truth, I'm glad they are no longer around.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/31/17 at 7:51 am

Cat

I came aboard in 2001.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/31/17 at 2:20 pm

I came aboard in 2001.

I remembered you came on not too long before I did.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/31/17 at 2:50 pm

I remembered you came on not too long before I did.

Cat

I do remember the good old days of when us all together had so much fun and when there were a whole lot of people on the board at the same time.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/31/17 at 5:15 pm

I do remember the good old days of when us all together had so much fun and when there were a whole lot of people on the board at the same time.

There are 14 people on-line right now.

I do see this board getting new life. And maybe the "good old days" are ahead of us.

Cat

Written By: Longaotian00 on 08/31/17 at 5:25 pm

I came aboard in 2001.

You've been on here since I was 1!?! :o

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/01/17 at 5:16 pm

They've been on here before I existed  :o

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/01/17 at 5:19 pm

For the first time in the forums history, 00's babies began to have an active presence on the forums, with Longaotian00, temaichi and HugMePlz joining this year.

Yep and me as well

Written By: Howard on 09/01/17 at 5:30 pm

Yes, about 16, 17 years. :)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/02/17 at 8:02 am

Yep and me as well

I would have included you in the post as well, but I made the post before you created an account on here. :P

Check for new replies or respond here...