inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Term "Young Adult"

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/07/18 at 12:09 pm

It seems that every time I hear this word, there are lots of spans ranging from 18-21, 18-24/25, 18-29/30, 18-34/35 and even 18-40. The problem is that I haven't genuinely heard this word at all in person, but more particularly online. The only time anyone ever referred me to that term was when I was in high school where one of my teachers told my class and I that we were all young Adults. Since then, I have only been referred to as an adult whether it's my parents, colleagues, teachers, mentors and other figures. Besides, the word itself is indeed another synonym for a teenager rather than a grown-up, so I don't understand why it is applied to those who are college age and above, and not those who are adolescents. Tell me your thoughts, please? Have you heard the word "young adult" be used outside of the online world?

Subject: Re: The Term "Young Adult"

Written By: violet_shy on 01/07/18 at 12:26 pm

I have heard it. Anyone from 18 to 24 years old is a young adult. And then after 25 you are an adult. If you look it up in the dictionary, it says it is a person in their late teens and early 20s. 40 is way too old to be a young adult, 40 is just OLD. Lol.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/07/18 at 12:44 pm

I have heard it. Anyone from 18 to 24 years old is a young adult. And then after 25 you are an adult. If you look it up in the dictionary, it says it is a person in their late teens and early 20s. 40 is way too old to be a young adult, 40 is just OLD. Lol.

I don't think anybody  24 should be referred to as a "young adult" ever. After 21, you are an "adult" pure and simple. And even 21 is pushing it to be called a "young adult". Even though the term "young adult" sounds like, well, a YOUNG adult, it's actually a euphemism for a mid-late teen. And maybe it's just my opinion, but I sometimes think there's a bit of a sinister connotation lurking in the shadows there somewhere, as if the person using the term is trying to get those being addressed to "shape up". As in "you're young adults now", or "what a fine group of young adults this is".  It's a bit patronizing.

As for the question of whether the term exists elsewhere besides online, I have heard the term "young adult" for as long as I can remember, so it's been around at least as far back as the 60s and 70s when there was no online. I remember one of the early places I remember it in use was the library, where there was always a "young adult" section, which was basically all teenager stuff.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/07/18 at 2:19 pm

I don't think anybody 24 should be referred to as a "young adult" ever. After 21, you are an "adult" pure and simple. And even 21 is pushing it to be called a "young adult." Even though the term "young adult" sounds like, well, a YOUNG adult, it's a euphemism for a mid-late teen. And maybe it's just my opinion, but I sometimes think there's a bit of a sinister connotation lurking in the shadows there somewhere as if the person using the term is trying to get those being addressed to "shape up." As in "you're young adults now," or "what a fine group of young adults this is."  It's a bit patronizing.

As for the question of whether the term exists elsewhere besides online, I had heard the word "young adult" for as long as I can remember, so it's been around at least as far back as the 60s and 70s when there was no online. I remember one of the first places I remember it in use was the library, where there was always a "young adult" section, which was all teenager stuff.
I agree with everything you said. I think a lot of people exaggerate on the term making it more confusing. There's just no way that people can still refer others to that word past the adolescent stage. Even the dictionary explains that "Young Adult" is another word for a teenager.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/07/18 at 2:31 pm

18 to 25 is good enough for me. Personally, I think that our generation has a good number still
living at home until they're 30. I think it's the technology, a culture obsessed with youth, and a little bit of too much of a sense of entitlement.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/07/18 at 2:46 pm

18 to 25 is good enough for me. Personally, I think that our generation has a good number still
living at home until they're 30. I think it's the technology, a culture obsessed with youth, and a little bit of too much of a sense of entitlement.
I think these are a few of the reasons too, and it has greatly escalated to the point where the term compose those under 35 or 40 when that shouldn't be the case.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/18 at 3:11 pm

But anything over 40 would be considered very old.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/07/18 at 4:51 pm

I think there are two different things being confused here. I agree with your point that " I think it's the technology, a culture obsessed with youth, and a little bit of too much of a sense of entitlement." In fact, this "extended adolescence" that goes on now is the reason I was SO emphatic in my original post that nobody over 21 should ever be called a "young adult". Just because someone is living at home until they are 30 and acting rather adolescent, this does not mean that they ARE a "young adult". They are just ACTING like one. So I can't agree with the "18 to 25"  BEING a "young adult".  It's not a relative term. It's a specific one.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/07/18 at 6:40 pm

I think there are two different things being confused here. I agree with your point that " I think it's the technology, a culture obsessed with youth, and a little bit of too much of a sense of entitlement." In fact, this "extended adolescence" that goes on now is the reason I was SO emphatic in my original post that nobody over 21 should ever be called a "young adult". Just because someone is living at home until they are 30 and acting rather adolescent, this does not mean that they ARE a "young adult". They are just ACTING like one. So I can't agree with the "18 to 25"  BEING a "young adult".  It's not a relative term. It's a specific one.

Back in the old days, 14 Year old girls got married.  :o

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/07/18 at 7:20 pm

But back in those days life spans were a LOT shorter. One got married and had babies while one could. The concept of the teenager or adolescent as a sort of bridge, or separate stage, between childhood and adulthood only emerged with the industrial revolution.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/18 at 5:28 am

that's crazy!  :o

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/08/18 at 10:52 am

I guess that makes me ANCIENT.  Thanks a lot

;)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/08/18 at 11:07 am

that's crazy!  :o

Nothing crazy about it when you consider people barely lived to 40 years old.

Written By: karen on 01/08/18 at 11:24 am

Our local library uses young adult to label books aimed at teens. There is a separate section for them.

Written By: annimal on 01/08/18 at 11:37 am

I'm 35 years old so i'm ?

I don't know anything like working, how to cook, other stuff.  That makes me?

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/08/18 at 3:03 pm

40 isn't old, but it's not young adult by any stretch of the imagination. Neither is being over 30.

I don't think anybody  24 should be referred to as a "young adult" ever. After 21, you are an "adult" pure and simple. And even 21 is pushing it to be called a "young adult". Even though the term "young adult" sounds like, well, a YOUNG adult, it's actually a euphemism for a mid-late teen. And maybe it's just my opinion, but I sometimes think there's a bit of a sinister connotation lurking in the shadows there somewhere, as if the person using the term is trying to get those being addressed to "shape up". As in "you're young adults now", or "what a fine group of young adults this is".  It's a bit patronizing.

As for the question of whether the term exists elsewhere besides online, I have heard the term "young adult" for as long as I can remember, so it's been around at least as far back as the 60s and 70s when there was no online. I remember one of the early places I remember it in use was the library, where there was always a "young adult" section, which was basically all teenager stuff.

I most often hear of it when talking about a category in a bookstore or library. Stories geared towards teens and early 20 somethings.

I'm 35 years old so i'm ?

I don't know anything like working, how to cook, other stuff.  That makes me?

Why don't you cook? It's easy. Just start with something simple like a packaged dinner you fry in a pan or some ramen and experiment from there with spices and ingredients.

Written By: annimal on 01/08/18 at 6:44 pm

In the past I've heard my mom yell at me that I do everything wrong and that has lead me in the past to stop trying to do anything because I'm just going told I'm doing it wrong if not yelled at.  This is why I chose a food prep.  I'd learn a al little about cooking.  Someone busy yelling about things did not help me learn much in the past

Written By: Howard on 01/09/18 at 7:41 am

Nothing crazy about it when you consider people barely lived to 40 years old.

they did? :o

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/09/18 at 5:57 pm

In the past I've heard my mom yell at me that I do everything wrong and that has lead me in the past to stop trying to do anything because I'm just going told I'm doing it wrong if not yelled at.  This is why I chose a food prep.  I'd learn a al little about cooking.  Someone busy yelling about things did not help me learn much in the past

Just go in the kitchen anyway, follow instructions on the back of a package, and fry something up in a pan. If you do it wrong, you learn from your mistakes which by the way, are not the end of the world. But what if you don't fail? I don't know why she expects you to, she's not a very nice person if she can't be encouraging of her own daughter. If I screw something up when cooking it, my mistake is all on me especially if I bought the ingredients.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/12/18 at 2:04 pm

I think two different things are being confused here. I agree with your point that " I think it's the technology, a culture obsessed with youth, and a little bit of too much of a sense of entitlement." In fact, this "extended adolescence" that goes on now is the reason I was SO emphatic in my original post that nobody over 21 should ever be called a "young adult." Just because someone is living at home until they are 30 and acting rather adolescent, this does not mean that they ARE a "young adult." They are just ACTING like one. So I can't agree with the "18 to 25"  BEING a "young adult."  It's not a relative term. It's a specific one.
This! That's also what some folks don't recognize. People shouldn't be considered "young adults" just because they live at home with parents. In fact, in some parts of the world, it's normal for people to live with family until they have money to afford their housing. It never had anything to do with age.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/18 at 3:48 pm

This! That's also what some folks don't recognize. People shouldn't be considered "young adults" just because they live at home with parents. In fact, in some parts of the world, it's normal for people to live with family until they have money to afford their housing. It never had anything to do with age.

I'm in my mid 40's and I still live with My Parents, would that make me an "older adult"?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/12/18 at 4:33 pm

I'm in my mid 40's and I still live with My Parents, would that make me an "older adult"?
No. Not at all. It's actually normal for people to live in multi generational households. The only region that stigmatizes this is here.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/12/18 at 6:20 pm

No. Not at all. It's actually normal for people to live in multi generational households. The only region that stigmatizes this is here.

And that's bullcrap too. You don't know what's going on in a person's life and what's more it's nobodies business.

Written By: annimal on 01/12/18 at 7:40 pm

Just go in the kitchen anyway, follow instructions on the back of a package, and fry something up in a pan. If you do it wrong, you learn from your mistakes which by the way, are not the end of the world. But what if you don't fail? I don't know why she expects you to, she's not a very nice person if she can't be encouraging of her own daughter. If I screw something up when cooking it, my mistake is all on me especially if I bought the ingredients.

exactly, we make mistakes to learn from and the plane is not going to crash and make everyone die.  Recently Joel did or forgot to do something, therefore, I'm going to do whatever.  Mistakes to her do seem to be the end of the world for some reason.  I cant wait to start living somewhere else so I can actually see how much I can do myself or even sort of vises how many times I've been yelled at or told I'm doing it wrong.  Am I? or is it just not your royal way?  Like some feedback from someone else for a change.  I got my bus pass for this month, maybe I ought to ride all the routes all over.  Great idea for a project Ann, you're going to need to get to know how to get everywhere anyway.  I can tell mom that I'm too busy to come home if I tell her anything.

Written By: annimal on 01/12/18 at 9:48 pm

Think I'll reply to myself.  there will be some bus changes, something about having to swipe a card or something.  (mom) You mind if I try a time or two to figure it out or do I have to be trained?  Yeah I know I have to take the bus to work and you can get me trainers through this program.  I will need to, when the buses have there changes ready,  need to sneak a ride or two before I start working. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/18 at 3:40 am

Our local library uses young adult to label books aimed at teens. There is a separate section for them.
The book and movie "The Fault in Our Stars" was aimed at young adults, the film version had a certificate of 12A which means 12 years old or over, therefore a young adult is at the youngest age of 12, at least.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/13/18 at 1:59 pm

And that's bullcrap too. You don't know what's going on in a person's life and what's more it's nobodies business.
That's true for the second statement, but i read that in other regions, it's standard for people to live with family even if they are over a certain age. Not everyone can afford to live on their own and there sources behind that.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/18 at 2:41 pm

My Mother thinks I should've been out the house 25 years ago but all I have is a part time job now being a cart attendant.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/18 at 2:42 pm

That's true for the second statement, but i read that in other regions, it's standard for people to live with family even if they are over a certain age. Not everyone can afford to live on their own and there sources behind that.

I don't have enough income to be on my own.

Written By: annimal on 01/13/18 at 9:54 pm

My mom is getting old and says she cant take care of me.  Buy the way, I think a good year for a young adult is 18

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/19/18 at 2:14 pm

The problem with the term "young adult" is no one can agree on a definition. So for all intents and purposes, the term can be fairly subjective. For example to a 60 year old, someone in their 30s would still be a young adult. However, to someone in their teens, those in their 30s are fully grown adults. Personally, I don't understand why "young adult" and "adolescence" are used synonymously. I was always under the impression that young adulthood BEGAN at around 18, when people are officially legal adults. I've said this in a previous post (on another thread), but I still consider myself a young adult at 24. You do NOT necessarily have to be an adolescent to be a young adult. People really need to understand this.

Check for new replies or respond here...