inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: February is here! What are you doing THIS month?

Written By: nally on 01/31/18 at 10:34 pm

Can you believe it, the second month of 2018 is upon us now. Time for a new monthly thread.

White rabbits!  :)

Subject: Re: February is here! What are you doing THIS month?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/18 at 11:18 pm

White rabbit!

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/01/18 at 3:31 am

Well, it's gonna be a cold one so more staying indoors, only now I can stock up on Valentine's and Easter chocolates!

Written By: annimal on 02/01/18 at 11:05 am

I'll be working in the kitchen    how long I cant say

I'll be working in the kitchen    just part time to start my way

Written By: 80sfan on 02/01/18 at 11:42 am

I'll be working in the kitchen    how long I cant say

I'll be working in the kitchen    just part time to start my way

What you cooking?

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/18 at 12:30 pm

Olympics month!

Written By: nally on 02/01/18 at 5:39 pm

Well, it's gonna be a cold one so more staying indoors, only now I can stock up on Valentine's and Easter chocolates!

Good for you!!

I just purchased my valentines chocolates the other day, so now I'm all set.

In fact, I plan on handing out one of them at some point today!

Written By: nally on 02/02/18 at 6:50 pm

So, today we rented a car for the weekend. See, this family that my parents met while cruising across the Atlantic a few years back, is flying into L.A. for a few hours tomorrow, and we're gonna spend some time with them before they get on their next plane to Australia. And the reason we needed to rent a car is so that we can take them out to dinner and then back to the airport.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/02/18 at 6:51 pm

So, today we rented a car for the weekend. See, this family that my parents met while cruising across the Atlantic a few years back, is flying into L.A. for a few hours tomorrow, and we're gonna spend some time with them before they get on their next plane to Australia. And the reason we needed to rent a car is so that we can take them out to dinner and then back to the airport.

Sounds warm and fun!  :)

Written By: nally on 02/02/18 at 7:01 pm

Sounds warm and fun!  :)

Thanks! :)

This family, by the way, lives on the East Coast. Consists of a retired couple with a daughter who is two years older than me. My parents first met them in October of 2013 when they went on their first transatlantic cruise. And they played some trivia games together on the ship. (The daughter is apparently very good at music trivia games, just like I am!) Two years later, in September of 2015, my parents cruised with this family again on another transatlantic cruise! And again the following year.

This year, the family is going to cruise in Australia, which is why they're flying there. We were originally going to join them, but it's just not doable for us (due to our work situations and stuff). That's why tomorrow, when they have their layover at LAX (they get in at 3pm Pacific time, and are scheduled to get on the next plane just after 10pm -- a span of 7 hours), we're going to spend some time with them. And I haven't met them yet...but tomorrow afternoon I will! They are apparently quite friendly people, so I am excited about meeting them for the first time.

Written By: annimal on 02/02/18 at 7:16 pm

What you cooking?

chopping onions

Written By: 80sfan on 02/02/18 at 9:21 pm

Thanks! :)

This family, by the way, lives on the East Coast. Consists of a retired couple with a daughter who is two years older than me. My parents first met them in October of 2013 when they went on their first transatlantic cruise. And they played some trivia games together on the ship. (The daughter is apparently very good at music trivia games, just like I am!) Two years later, in September of 2015, my parents cruised with this family again on another transatlantic cruise! And again the following year.

This year, the family is going to cruise in Australia, which is why they're flying there. We were originally going to join them, but it's just not doable for us (due to our work situations and stuff). That's why tomorrow, when they have their layover at LAX (they get in at 3pm Pacific time, and are scheduled to get on the next plane just after 10pm -- a span of 7 hours), we're going to spend some time with them. And I haven't met them yet...but tomorrow afternoon I will! They are apparently quite friendly people, so I am excited about meeting them for the first time.

Nice that your family made some friends.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/02/18 at 9:22 pm

chopping onions

I have tears in my eyes.  :D

Written By: nally on 02/03/18 at 1:41 am

Nice that your family made some friends.  8)

Yes, and I'll finally get to meet said people tomorrow afternoon. I can hardly wait. :D They'll be excited to meet me, too.

I'd also like to add that the car we rented is a van, so that we can transport them from the airport to the restaurant tomorrow and back. (There'll be six of us altogether.)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/03/18 at 4:00 am

This month I will be starting my first year at University :)

Written By: Howard on 02/03/18 at 7:37 am

congratulations. :)

Written By: nally on 02/03/18 at 11:00 am

Good luck with that.

Written By: 2001 on 02/03/18 at 11:53 am

Congrats! You're gonna have the time of your life during first year :D What are you studying?

Written By: nally on 02/03/18 at 12:44 pm

Yes, and I'll finally get to meet said people tomorrow afternoon. I can hardly wait. :D They'll be excited to meet me, too.

I'd also like to add that the car we rented is a van, so that we can transport them from the airport to the restaurant tomorrow and back. (There'll be six of us altogether.)

My mom received a text from them an hour ago, saying that their plane had just taken off from Washington DC!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/03/18 at 2:56 pm

February is a fun month for me - lots of celebrating.  My birthday is today.  Later this month is my wedding anniversary.  Fun February!  :D

Written By: Howard on 02/03/18 at 5:57 pm

February is a fun month for me - lots of celebrating.  My birthday is today.  Later this month is my wedding anniversary.  Fun February!  :D

Wow, Happy Anniversary! :)

Written By: nally on 02/04/18 at 1:04 am

Wow, you certainly have a lot of exciting things going on this month! O0

Written By: nally on 02/04/18 at 1:05 am

Anyways... my family and I had a great time with their friends from the East Coast. I enjoyed meeting them; they were great to hang around with. Likewise, they enjoyed meeting me.

Now, said family are on their way to Australia. They are probably airborne right now. I hope they are having a safe flight!

Written By: nally on 02/04/18 at 4:11 pm

Anyways... my family and I had a great time with their friends from the East Coast. I enjoyed meeting them; they were great to hang around with. Likewise, they enjoyed meeting me.

Now, said family are on their way to Australia. They are probably airborne right now. I hope they are having a safe flight!

They probably landed just a little while ago. (It was supposed to be a 15 hour flight.)

Written By: nally on 02/07/18 at 12:23 pm

Wow...this thread has been too quiet the last couple days. :o ???

Today I'm at home; spent a couple hours this morning cleaning up the house because someone is coming over.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/18 at 12:55 pm

Tomorrow I am looking forward to my family visiting me again, that means more wonderful time with my granddaughter.

Written By: nally on 02/07/18 at 12:56 pm

Tomorrow I am looking forward to my family visiting me again, that means more wonderful time with my granddaughter.

Enjoy!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/18 at 2:07 pm

Enjoy!
Will do!

Written By: Howard on 02/07/18 at 2:41 pm

Enjoy! :)

Written By: annimal on 02/07/18 at 5:49 pm

so far being a dishwasher.

dont know how I did it but tripped and fell on the ground before work.  Got through my work ok and made it home.  My left leg has fully recovered but my right leg doesn't want to bend. 

Written By: nally on 02/07/18 at 7:48 pm

so far being a dishwasher.

dont know how I did it but tripped and fell on the ground before work.  Got through my work ok and made it home.  My left leg has fully recovered but my right leg doesn't want to bend.

Sorry you got hurt, Ann. Wishing you a well recovery.

Written By: annimal on 02/07/18 at 8:05 pm

well so far so good good.  My left leg works just fine now even  standing on it.  My right leg fill bend now if I'm sitting.  I know that if I get both my arms sore from doing a bunch of garden work or something, my right arm always needs a day more then the left arm.  I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case with my legs and I ought to ask my mom to drop me off at work tomorrow.  But it is getting better.  I like peg leg pirates don't you?

Written By: annimal on 02/08/18 at 10:14 pm

oh man, I lost my leg at work. Then the ambulance crashed. after that I don't know but I'm in the hospital now using my phony

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/18 at 8:27 am

My family had to go back home, thus leaving me...

Written By: karen on 02/09/18 at 3:00 pm

oh man, I lost my leg at work. Then the ambulance crashed. after that I don't know but I'm in the hospital now using my phony

Anne

Never sure how serious you are as your posts are often strange.  However taking your post at face value I hope you are ok, and out of hospital now.

Written By: nally on 02/09/18 at 6:55 pm

My family had to go back home, thus leaving me...

Well I certainly hope you had a nice visit with them ;)

Written By: annimal on 02/09/18 at 8:17 pm

Anne

Never sure how serious you are as your posts are often strange.  However taking your post at face value I hope you are ok, and out of hospital now.

made it through my first week of work.  standing for 14 hours as well and getting to and from work and banging my knees hasn't killed me.  May find it hard to believe that I've been sitting ever scene I got home.

Written By: nally on 02/10/18 at 3:53 pm

Today has been a good day for me thus far. I went to the library to do volunteering; while I was there I handed out chocolate Valentine hearts to two nice young women who work there (one per lady)... and then a lady friend of mine who used to work there showed up as a patron, so I talked with her and gave her a chocolate heart too. :)

Written By: annimal on 02/11/18 at 10:27 am

think I'll be sitting most of this day too, but will want to visit my garden.  I know I was hungry before my legs started going crazy.  Might have to take home bigger food samples from work.  That would be horrible .

Written By: nally on 02/11/18 at 11:55 pm

Had a really good day today, mostly @ church. Saw my dear friend (whose picture I recently posted in the "pictures of friends" thread), so I gave her a nice valentine card and two chocolate hearts.

Written By: annimal on 02/12/18 at 3:45 pm

my work trainer wants me to see if I can work an extra hour each day  so I'm going to try it and see if I don't get worn out.  I'm sick of not seeing any new flowers blooming or growing.  Like I said though if there are going to be so may not burnt in late spring and summer then I guess it's worth the wait.

Written By: nally on 02/12/18 at 10:57 pm

^ good luck with your work.

Mine is still going well, after 2+ years. Still seeking additional employment.

Written By: nally on 02/13/18 at 5:55 pm

Anyway, today has been a good day for me. http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/valentine/cool.gif

Written By: annimal on 02/13/18 at 5:57 pm

got through the day without getting tired or wetting my pants.

Written By: 2001 on 02/13/18 at 6:07 pm

got through the day without getting tired or wetting my pants.

What's your secret?

Anyway, today has been a good day for me. http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/valentine/cool.gif

Did you use the Valentine emoticon for a reason? :P

Written By: nally on 02/13/18 at 6:11 pm

What's your secret?

Did you use the Valentine emoticon for a reason? :P

Yes.

On the way home from work, I stopped by a certain place where one of my lady friends works. (A staffing agency, which I've been signed up with for almost three years.) I had a little chat with my lady friend and gave her a chocolate heart; she gave me a big hug.

Written By: meesa on 02/13/18 at 6:38 pm

After 15 years of working for the same company, I am looking for other opportunities. It's scary but at the same time exciting, the idea of reinventing myself and starting Something New. Gonna see if this old dog can do some new tricks!  :)

Written By: karen on 02/14/18 at 4:26 am

After 15 years of working for the same company, I am looking for other opportunities. It's scary but at the same time exciting, the idea of reinventing myself and starting Something New. Gonna see if this old dog can do some new tricks!  :)

Sure you can.  I've done it a couple of times.  I worked in a university for 20+ years as a research technician. (though I changed departments after 12) and then moved to the US and became a stay at home mum for a few years, then moved back to the UK and worked as a receptionist. Now I work in a school as a science technician.

My husband worked for the same company for 25 years before moving on, and he is about to change again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/18 at 5:01 am

Good luck with that.

I had six different positions in my life career, each change was down to personal circumstances.

Written By: nally on 02/14/18 at 9:17 am

Good luck Meesa!

Good luck with that.

I had six different positions in my life career, each change was down to personal circumstances.

Yes, many people do that sort of thing with their work... going to different job positions. It shows diversity in one's skills. O0

Written By: Howard on 02/14/18 at 2:43 pm

Good Luck. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/14/18 at 4:32 pm

It is scary & exciting. I wish you all the luck. My advice, find something that you love and don't settle.

Cat

Written By: nally on 02/14/18 at 6:03 pm

Today has been a good day for me thus far. I went to the library to do volunteering; while I was there I handed out chocolate Valentine hearts to two nice young women who work there (one per lady)... and then a lady friend of mine who used to work there showed up as a patron, so I talked with her and gave her a chocolate heart too. :)

And today I went to the library to volunteer again, since I had no other plans for the day. Had a good time. :)

Written By: 2001 on 02/15/18 at 10:44 am

Just my luck, I caught the flu just before my birthday and my long weekend vacation  >:(

Good luck on your search! :)

Written By: nally on 02/15/18 at 5:40 pm

Just my luck, I caught the flu just before my birthday and my long weekend vacation  >:(

Sorry to hear of this. :-\\ Sending well wishes your way.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/15/18 at 5:43 pm

And today I went to the library to volunteer again, since I had no other plans for the day. Had a good time. :)

Yay!  :D

Written By: nally on 02/15/18 at 6:16 pm

Yay!  :D

Yep, I have been volunteering at this library for over 5 years. Everything I do there is helpful in many ways, and appreciated by the staff.

Written By: annimal on 02/15/18 at 6:41 pm

I did some stuff in my garden

Written By: Howard on 02/16/18 at 8:04 am

Good luck on your search! :)

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/18 at 11:20 am

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/896062506.jpg?w=748&h=561&crop=1

Written By: nally on 02/16/18 at 12:45 pm

So, my parents got a new bed delivered this morning. I helped 'em disassemble the old one, and assemble the new frame, before the new bed arrived.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/16/18 at 3:54 pm

So glad to be back at least for today! I hope everyone is doing wonderful. :)

Written By: annimal on 02/16/18 at 4:56 pm

I was noticing these little orange things in the flower holder thing my sunflower had grown.  They're coming.  Okay, Orange ball tree butterfly bush, plant in a pot wont survive in hot space in garden.  Amaranths,  Ann ual no wonder I like it.  Should be getting my Mexican native milkweed soon.     

Written By: nally on 02/16/18 at 6:06 pm

We are doing well... and I hope you are too!

Written By: Howard on 02/17/18 at 5:50 am

Welcome Back Jessica. :)

Written By: annimal on 02/17/18 at 1:24 pm

I was noticing these little orange things in the flower holder thing my sunflower had grown.  They're coming.  Okay, Orange ball tree butterfly bush, plant in a pot wont survive in hot space in garden.  Amaranths,  Ann ual no wonder I like it.  Should be getting my Mexican native milkweed soon.   

no blooms anywhere yet

Written By: nally on 02/17/18 at 9:58 pm

Year Of The Dog!

Written By: 80sfan on 02/17/18 at 10:01 pm

Happy New Year, Philip Eno!  8)  8)  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/17/18 at 10:02 pm

Year Of The Dog!

Yes, it is! Next year will be The Year of the Boar!  8)  8)  8)

Written By: karen on 02/18/18 at 10:14 am

I went to London yesterday with my Morris dancing group. We performed at the Academic Archers conference (discussing issues raised in the radio 4 radio drama The Archers). A former dancer was presenting a paper on Morris dancing in the Archers village and we had prepared a dance to the theme tune.  We also taught some people a bit of the dance.

Written By: nally on 02/20/18 at 12:12 am

I went to London yesterday with my Morris dancing group. We performed at the Academic Archers conference (discussing issues raised in the radio 4 radio drama The Archers). A former dancer was presenting a paper on Morris dancing in the Archers village and we had prepared a dance to the theme tune.  We also taught some people a bit of the dance.

Sounds quite interesting! Hope you had a good time with that.

Written By: nally on 02/20/18 at 12:13 am

So...today I was inside at home all day. Not only was it a holiday (Presidents Day), but it was just too cold to go out anywhere in the wind. I needed some "down" time anyways.

Written By: karen on 02/20/18 at 11:09 am

Sounds quite interesting! Hope you had a good time with that.

It was fun.  And the video of us dancing that has appeared on a BBC Facebook page has had tons of views.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/18 at 11:10 am

It was fun.  And the video of us dancing that has appeared on a BBC Facebook page has had tons of views.

O0

I think that the comments have to be checked out?

Written By: nally on 02/20/18 at 5:55 pm

Excellent O0

Written By: nally on 02/21/18 at 3:57 pm

Not a whole lot going on for me today; just spending the day at home, gettin' things done around the house.

Written By: nally on 02/23/18 at 11:35 am

I have a dental appointment at 11am (Pacific time), so I'll be going there shortly.

Written By: annimal on 02/23/18 at 4:04 pm

^ are you back now?

Written By: nally on 02/23/18 at 6:15 pm

^ are you back now?

Oh yes, thanks for asking. My teeth were in excellent shape! No cavities. :)

Written By: annimal on 02/23/18 at 7:18 pm

that's good  hopefully now that I bought myself some more toothpaste yesterday, I wont get any cavities either

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/24/18 at 11:10 am

Since we're almost finished with February, this month was pretty boring and half depressing for the most part. Valentine's Day was the worst day for me in this month, not only because my crush liked someone else, but because of that shooting in Parkland Florida.

Written By: nally on 02/24/18 at 11:25 am

^ Sorry about that. :-[

It was a good day for me, though... and hopefully today will also be good.

Written By: annimal on 02/24/18 at 12:15 pm

37 this morning.  This is why I started my load of laundry in the freezing cold garage and plan on just throwing on some clothes to go in my garden and take a shower after that to warm myself up.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/18 at 3:28 pm

Since we're almost finished with February, this month was pretty boring and half depressing for the most part. Valentine's Day was the worst day for me in this month, not only because my crush liked someone else, but because of that shooting in Parkland Florida.

sorry to hear that. :(

Written By: nally on 02/24/18 at 3:29 pm

37 this morning.  This is why I started my load of laundry in the freezing cold garage and plan on just throwing on some clothes to go in my garden and take a shower after that to warm myself up.

Obviously it got really cold where you live. It is sorta like that in southern California during the night. There was even a "frost advisory" for some regions, and a "cold weather advisory" for others.

Written By: annimal on 02/24/18 at 7:04 pm

my mom said it use to get cold like this a long time ago before I was around.  Well it wasn't so cold a little while ago when I planted some seeds in some pots.  Now it's grey and cloudy.

I was glad to see that Funny Or Die still had my video.  I didn't want them to think they couldn't use it any more.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/25/18 at 11:50 pm

Just wrapped up a celebration getaway weekend with hubby - our 20th anniversary  :)

Written By: nally on 02/26/18 at 12:39 am

Just wrapped up a celebration getaway weekend with hubby - our 20th anniversary  :)

ooh that sounds nice! Happy anniversary to you!! O0 8) :)

Written By: Howard on 02/26/18 at 5:46 am

Happy Anniversary. :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/26/18 at 7:39 am

ooh that sounds nice! Happy anniversary to you!! O0 8) :)

Happy Anniversary. :)

Thanks!  It was a fun weekend!  We stayed at Holiday Inn, we went to a Blackhawks game on Friday, visited (chilly) Millennium Park on Saturday afternoon and saw Riverdance on Saturday night!  Plus lots of good eating.  Fun!  :)

Written By: nally on 02/26/18 at 10:38 am

Thanks!  It was a fun weekend!  We stayed at Holiday Inn, we went to a Blackhawks game on Friday, visited (chilly) Millennium Park on Saturday afternoon and saw Riverdance on Saturday night!  Plus lots of good eating.  Fun!  :)

Awesome. O0

Written By: nally on 02/26/18 at 6:04 pm

Did some food shopping this afternoon; I'm helping to plan my family meals a little more proactively. (That's one decision I've actually had a hard time making, but lately I'm becoming better at it.)

Written By: Howard on 02/27/18 at 8:09 am

That's wonderful. :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/27/18 at 5:13 pm

Did some food shopping this afternoon; I'm helping to plan my family meals a little more proactively. (That's one decision I've actually had a hard time making, but lately I'm becoming better at it.)

Nice!  :)

Written By: nally on 02/27/18 at 5:39 pm

Nice!  :)

Thanks. Yeah, so tonight I'm gonna help make chicken marsala, using a recipe that I've helped make twice. (See the Food thread for more details.)

Written By: nally on 02/27/18 at 5:39 pm

Also, today was a busy day for me at work, given that tomorrow is the end of the month and I won't be in the office then. So I got everything important done today. O0

Written By: annimal on 02/27/18 at 6:54 pm

I'm jealous

Written By: nally on 02/27/18 at 11:50 pm

Thanks. Yeah, so tonight I'm gonna help make chicken marsala, using a recipe that I've helped make twice. (See the Food thread for more details.)

And this time I think it came out better than the last time I made it. O0 I feel more confident at cooking certain foods now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/18 at 1:19 am

For the past few days we have had snow, and it is expected to stay on the ground for a long time, and more is expected to fall.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/18 at 2:52 pm

For the past few days we have had snow, and it is expected to stay on the ground for a long time, and more is expected to fall.

How many inches are expected? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/18 at 2:53 pm

How many inches are expected? ???
Few inches in London, deeper in Scotland

Written By: karen on 02/28/18 at 4:07 pm

At work I have been doing a two day course on First Aid in the outdoors. We didn't do any outdoor practice because of the snow. When I did the course 3 years ago we had the same problem.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/18 at 4:08 pm

At work I have been doing a two day course on First Aid in the outdoors. We didn't do any outdoor practice because of the snow. When I did the course 3 years ago we had the same problem.

How to treat frostbite?

Written By: karen on 03/01/18 at 2:27 pm

How to treat frostbite?

And hypothermia (plus heat stroke, snake bites, anaphylactic shock, etc)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/18 at 2:28 pm

And hypothermia (plus heat stroke, snake bites, anaphylactic shock, etc)
O0

Written By: annimal on 03/01/18 at 5:33 pm

I get to get ready to report my first work checkcheck

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/01/18 at 6:40 pm

February went by too fast..

Written By: annimal on 03/02/18 at 5:12 pm

It's gone?

Check for new replies or respond here...