inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which pill would you choose?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/07/18 at 8:01 pm

Choose wisely:

http://i.imgur.com/ZdqaEIL.jpg

Subject: Re: Which pill would you choose?

Written By: 2001 on 03/07/18 at 8:04 pm

Shouldn't this be in the politics section?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/07/18 at 8:13 pm

Shouldn't this be in the politics section?

What's political about this? ???

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/07/18 at 8:31 pm

I'd take the blue pill. I wouldn't want to skip that many years of my life, even for $10 million.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/07/18 at 8:32 pm

If I take the blue pill, can I also take a few notes back with me?  ;)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/07/18 at 8:37 pm

If I take the blue pill, can I also take a few notes back with me?  ;)

I don't know but I guess so since it says "all the knowledge you have now".

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/07/18 at 8:40 pm

I don't know but I guess so since it says "all the knowledge you have now".

I'd probably need some notes, because don't think I could memorize the names of all the 9/11 hijackers.  :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/07/18 at 8:47 pm

I'd probably need some notes, because don't think I could memorize the names of all the 9/11 hijackers.  :o

What would you do if you could memorize their names? :o

Written By: meesa on 03/07/18 at 9:16 pm

Blue.
Get ready, my future fifth grade teachers. And you thought the first time around was bad.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/07/18 at 9:28 pm

I'm not sure I'm supposed to answer this since I''m already past 50. But assuming I was the target age group for this question I would pick the blue pill. Who wants to fast forward their life? Money isn't everything. And whose to say one wouldn't attain that amount of money without fast forwarding one's life? But being 10 years old with the knowledge I have now (or at whatever age I would be) would make me the world's oddest 10 year old. And living my teens and 20s with what I know now would take the edge off of it, as I would see everything was, in fact, not the matter of life and death I thought it was then. But who wants to live their teens and 20s without that sense of everything being a matter of life and death? One wouldn't be fully alive. I still look back with a sense of wonder about how I felt back then. It might also be stultifying to be that young and fully know what it's like to be older. One would essentially cancel oneself out. So this is in effect an impossible question. Interesting, but impossible.

Written By: 2001 on 03/07/18 at 9:40 pm

What's political about this? ???

Lol you haven't heard of red pill? ;D

Anyway, I chose blue pill. Actually, I'd wait until I was 50 and then take the blue pill. Being in your teens/20s is so confusing  :-\\

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/07/18 at 9:43 pm

Lol you haven't heard of red pill? ;D

Yes but this is not related to that :P.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/18 at 6:02 am

Th red pill, I'm not too far from 50 so I could use the 10 million.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/08/18 at 12:42 pm

If I chose the red-would I go backwards?  ;)  :D :D ;D ;D

What this doesn't say is if you chose the blue, would you go back in time to the year you were 10 or would be 10 in 2018.

Well, since I would have all the knowledge I have now, I would definitely chose the blue. 

I also noticed that the hands are holding the other color pill as to the one stated above it.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/08/18 at 12:45 pm

What would you do if you could memorize their names? :o

Actually, scratch that.  One one hand, it would be great to go back and start over and "do things right," but I'd also have foreknowledge of tragic events and be powerless to stop them from happening. I'd have to go to school every day for the next 8 years with the nice, pretty girl in my class and see her every day knowing that she would be killed by a drunk driver not long after she graduated. I'd see that cool guy that was 2 years older than me who was one of the toughest, most gifted athletes in the school but was nice to everyone regardless of whether they were a jock or a nerd, who was voted homecoming king and who was liked by everybody, and I'd have to see him every day knowing that he was going to inexplicably take his own life a few months before graduating and break the heart of the entire school.

I'd have to watch my childhood friends get scarred as their parents went through messy divorces. I'd have to attend the weddings of friends and relatives, knowing that they as well would end in bitter, messy divorces. And yes, I'd have to spend the next 21 years knowing that 9/11 was going to happen.

And I probably couldn't stop any of these things from happening. Or worse I could try to stop them and probably fail. And it would tear me apart.

Also I'd be constantly thinking about all the good friends I've accumulated over the years in this lifetime but whom I'd never cross paths with because the course of my new life would almost certainly be drastically different.

If I had no choice than to pick one or the other then the red pill is the obvious choice. It would be pretty sweet if I could take a magic pill that would just zonk me out for the next two and a half years and I'd wake up with 10 million dollars in the bank and then retire.  But even that is not without its downsides. A lot of the people I love and care about are getting older as well and it's possible that some of them might not still be around when I wake up. Then again, they might be.

Red pill for me.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/08/18 at 1:00 pm

Actually, scratch that.  One one hand, it would be great to go back and start over and "do things right," but I'd also have foreknowledge of tragic events and be powerless to stop them from happening. I'd have to go to school every day for the next 8 years with the nice, pretty girl in my class and see her every day knowing that she would be killed by a drunk driver not long after she graduated. I'd see that cool guy that was 2 years older than me who was one of the toughest, most gifted athletes in the school but was nice to everyone regardless of whether they were a jock or a nerd, who was voted homecoming king and who was liked by everybody, and I'd have to see him every day knowing that he was going to inexplicably take his own life a few months before graduating and break the heart of the entire school.

I'd have to watch my childhood friends get scarred as their parents went through messy divorces. I'd have to attend the weddings of friends and relatives, knowing that they as well would end in bitter, messy divorces. And yes, I'd have to spend the next 21 years knowing that 9/11 was going to happen.

And I probably couldn't stop any of these things from happening. Or worse I could try to stop them and probably fail. And it would tear me apart.

If I had no choice than to pick one or the other then the red pill is the obvious choice. It would be pretty sweet if I could take a magic pill that would just zonk me out for the next two and a half years and I'd wake up with 10 million dollars in the bank and then retire.  But even that is not without its downsides. A lot of the people I love and care about are getting older as well and it's possible that some of them might not still be around when I wake up. Then again, they might be.

Red pill for me.

Well....damn. That's sad AF :(.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/08/18 at 1:02 pm

If I chose the red-would I go backwards?  ;)  :D :D ;D ;D

What this doesn't say is if you chose the blue, would you go back in time to the year you were 10 or would be 10 in 2018.

Well, since I would have all the knowledge I have now, I would definitely chose the blue. 

I also noticed that the hands are holding the other color pill as to the one stated above it.

Cat

It says "restart your life", so that would mean that you go back to the year that you turned 10 (whichever year that is).

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/08/18 at 1:14 pm

Well....damn. That's sad AF :(.

Sorry if I was being kind of a Debbie Downer but I found this topic to be quite fascinating and I spent a fair amount of time the other day weighing the pros and cons of this.

It's interesting too how the answer to this question depends upon the age of the person responding. If I was under 40 then I'd certainly be more inclined to take the blue pill, because I don't think sacrificing my youth would be worth $10 million. But since I'm almost 50 anyway then what's a couple more years?  ;)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/08/18 at 1:18 pm

Sorry if I was being kind of a Debbie Downer but I found this topic to be quite fascinating and I spent a fair amount of time the other day weighing the pros and cons of this.

It's interesting too how the answer to this question depends upon the age of the person responding. If I was under 40 then I'd certainly be more inclined to take the blue pill, because I don't think sacrificing my youth would be worth $10 million. But since I'm almost 50 anyway then what's a couple more years?  ;)

Yes, that makes sense ;).

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/09/18 at 11:25 pm

I liked your answer and would answer about the same for me.

When I was 20, I'd have gone blue pill.  Somewhere around 30-40, I realized I'd mostly gotten my life where I wanted it to be when I was 20, and I had 10-20 years of perspective to look at all the little things that could have gone life-alteringly badly. 

http://slideplayer.com/slide/8925524/27/images/4/What+is+the+Butterfly+Effect.jpg

The flapping of a butterfly's wings can cause a hurricane thousands of miles away.

Every time you pass an auto wreck -- and especially every time you have a near miss yourself -- consider that a few milliseconds faster or slower reaction time, jerked the steering wheel a few degrees further --- or not as far -- to the right or the left.  Do you walk away unscathed, do you die in a fire, do you spend the rest of your life horribly maimed and in agony?

Do you say hello to that cute member of the appropriate sex or did you decide to just walk on by?  Did the person who could have made your life complete wake up in a bad mood that morning?  Was the person who would have been delighted to ruin your life in divorce proceedings feeling randy that evening?  And how would you ever know?

https://i2.wp.com/www.elblogdeyes.com/wp-content/uploads/efecto-mariposa.jpg?resize=660%2C360

There are timelines where it's better to go back and start over.  Mine was far from perfect, but I count myself as really lucky that mine wasn't one of the ones where I'd want to hit the reset button and start over.  If you are here and reading this, you are descended from the survivors of 3,600,000,000 years of lucky dice rolls.  Even with that luck behind them, there are plenty of people (I mean, statistically, at least half of them!) who'd probably be at least as well off if they could reroll and play again.  But I'm glad I was lucky enough that I'd decline the chance to reroll. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/10/18 at 12:03 pm

There are a lot of valid points about NOT taking the blue.

I have to say that all the heartache and bad times I have had over the years has brought me to the place I am today. I am in a VERY good place and really wouldn't want to change anything (well, maybe a little  ;) ). I like the person I am today and I wouldn't be that person if I didn't go through everything I have gone through. Going back in time with all the knowledge I have now and starting over COULD be a good thing. I wouldn't make the same mistakes I made before because I have already learned those lessons. But, will I eventually get to where I am today? I don't know.  If I don't end up here, I don't want to take the blue because I fought too hard to get where I am now and I don't want to lose it.

Cat

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/10/18 at 12:31 pm

There are a lot of valid points about NOT taking the blue.

I have to say that all the heartache and bad times I have had over the years has brought me to the place I am today. I am in a VERY good place and really wouldn't want to change anything (well, maybe a little  ;) ). I like the person I am today and I wouldn't be that person if I didn't go through everything I have gone through. Going back in time with all the knowledge I have now and starting over COULD be a good thing. I wouldn't make the same mistakes I made before because I have already learned those lessons. But, will I eventually get to where I am today? I don't know.  If I don't end up here, I don't want to take the blue because I fought too hard to get where I am now and I don't want to lose it.

Cat

You got philosophical. Nice!

King T'Shalla

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/10/18 at 6:08 pm

The blue pill. All I need.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/10/18 at 6:39 pm

The red pill takes me back 20 some years, and there is something to say for that, and 10 mil sounds very nice.  But $$ isn't everything and although I could find ways to get rid of most of it in paying it forward I really don't need it or even really want to be that rich.  I also agree with Cat that I wouldn't want to be in a different place than I am right now. 

By the way, there was a TV program in the '50s called, I think, The Millionaire about a rich guy who gave people a mil just to see what it would do to their life.  Here's a link

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047758/

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/10/18 at 6:43 pm

The red pill takes me back 20 some years, and there is something to say for that, and 10 mil sounds very nice.  But $$ isn't everything and although I could find ways to get rid of most of it in paying it forward I really don't need it or even really want to be that rich.  I also agree with Cat that I wouldn't want to be in a different place than I am right now. 

By the way, there was a TV program in the '50s called, I think, The Millionaire about a rich guy who gave people a mil just to see what it would do to their life.  Here's a link

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047758/

Interesting answer! :)

Written By: violet_shy on 03/20/18 at 7:50 pm

Blue pill. Knowledgable at 10....what could be better than that!? Plus, I would love to start over again.

Check for new replies or respond here...