inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your most favorite school years?

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/21/18 at 7:35 pm

For me:

2012-2013: This was the absolute best period of my life. This school year ranks number #1 in terms of how good my personal life was. Made new friends, graduated elementary, last full year I felt like I was in my childhood, started making my own YouTube account and started browsing the Internet more. Had the absolute best summer in 2013.

2014-2015: This was the only good school year of middle school that I really liked, but it was arguably a good period of my life. Again, made new friends, had a really good last school day. Went to a lot of places with friends.

2016-2017: This school year was amazing for me personally. It was the second best school year of my life. I started high school, which was a fresh breath of air from middle school. I started having a crush on this guy that I worked on a project with. I went to fun places with my friends, like the carnival, movies, mall, etc. This school year was so amazing I already wish I could relive it despite only being last year, but I try to focus on the present and make it an enjoyable time.

Subject: Re: Your most favorite school years?

Written By: Wobo on 03/21/18 at 7:41 pm

2010-2011
I have some good memories from kindergarten and 1st grade and elementary friends also and being a child of the early 2010s with silly bands.

2012-2013
One of my favorite school years making 3 best friends it was nostalgic times and opa gangnam style being popular and always talking about video games with my friends and field day 2013 good times, 2013-2014 school year was basically when everything went downhill including that I had to move in 2014 and never see my friends again but I still talk to them online.

2014-2015
It was a pretty good school year 5th grade was fun and cool also and made some friends also. And in May of 2014 I made another best friend and also graduated elementary school that year also I remember on the last day of school or the day after I went to the pool with my friends.

2016-2017
Pretty decent school year not that bad,middle school hasn't been too kind with me but i'll cherish some good memories from 7th grade.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/21/18 at 8:10 pm

My favorite school years were my high school years (2007 - 2011).

The 2008-2009 school year was the best for me. We had so much fun and it was just a carefree time. We had so many school activities and different electives to chose from. There was music studio, drama class, photography, art, dance, theatre etc. One of my classmates made it onto "So You Think You Can Dance" and it was really fun watching him represent our city. Also our school talented show was the best that year. We modeled it after the BET awards so many of us got to dress up as celebrities and accept awards on stage lol. Lil Wayne, Lady Gaga, Keri Hilson, The Dream,  Kanye West among others all made an "appearance."
Later that year, the fashion was changing and I was happy with the bright colors and skinny jeans. Though I couldn't stand the pop/rap music that was becoming dominate, I liked the newer songs that didn't fit into that synth-electronic category. It was also the first year I didn't have to deal with a useless flip phone. I got myself a slider phone that I could do so much more with.

I really enjoyed all of high school. My entire high school career was basically all about dancing and fashion. And I got to be with my friends ALL day. Now we have to find the time to hang out given we have different schedules. If I could go back to the 2008-2009 school year for a week, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Written By: 2001 on 03/21/18 at 8:17 pm

My university years in general (2011-2016) are my favourite.

When it comes to grade school, it's got to be 2009-2010 (Grade 12), the 1998-2001 years (Grades 1-3) in general, and 2003-2004 (Grade 6).

Written By: unicornic on 03/22/18 at 9:01 am

2007-2008: Went to a new school, went on a trip to New York.

2009-2010: The year I became a JB fan and obsessed over him until 2014.

2012-2013: The year I met you rainbow  ;)

2015-2016: Made a lot of new friends. ;) Music was good this year.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/22/18 at 11:56 am

No order:

-2nd grade
-10th grade
-11th grade
-All college years

Worst: 6th grade without a doubt.

Cat

Written By: graciee on 03/22/18 at 2:24 pm

2011-2012

Written By: John Titor on 12/19/18 at 3:17 pm

1997-1998
2001-2002
2005-2006

At of all of them, 2001-2002 wins

Subject: Your most favorite school years?

Written By: Dude111 on 12/19/18 at 5:20 pm

My elementary years were my favourite...

I loved the food they served @ lunchtime

1) Pizza - MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM (I usually ordered doubles (Rectangles))

2) Hamburgers ----- Oh my,I loaded it with catchup and I loved em!!!!!

3) Fish sticks werent bad either................

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

And then later in middle school I absolutely LOVED thier cabbage salad....... I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANYTHING NEAR AS G00D SINCE...... :(

Written By: Howard on 12/20/18 at 7:25 am

I would say about 1988-1989 when I was in both Mainstream and Special Ed classes.

Written By: fusefan on 12/20/18 at 1:35 pm

2000-2001
2003-2004
2007-2008

Written By: Catherine91UK on 01/01/19 at 12:47 pm

1997-1998 (Year 1, age 5-6)
2000-2001 (Year 4, age 8-9)
2005-2006 (Year 9, age 13-14)

Written By: violet_shy on 01/04/19 at 7:51 am

1985 - 1986: Kindergarten. Because who doesn't love Kindergarten? I still remember my teacher's name and what she looked like her name was Mrs. Diaz. I remember my classmates as well.

1986 - 1989: Grades 1st to 4th.

1993 - 1994: 8th grade.

Written By: Elor on 01/05/19 at 1:55 pm

Elementary school. The only school years in which I was fully healthy. Everything then went south as time progressed and my own immune system decided to slowly destroy my thyroid gland without anybody noticing it. :\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/08/19 at 6:31 am

Junior year of high school, late '75 to mid '76.  Being a Junior was great, and my '76 graduating friends had not all disappeared yet.  Plus the bookend summers - '75 was decent but '76 was pretty awesome.

That was hands down my most fun school year.  :)

Written By: nally on 02/28/21 at 12:36 pm

I enjoyed several of them, to an extent.

My 3rd grade year (1988-1989) seemed enjoyable, having met lots of interesting kids and enjoying most of my academics.
My junior and senior years of high school were also enjoyable (1996-1997 and 1997-1998 respectively) for one reason or another.

As for least favorite, probably my 4th grade year (1989-1990). My teacher was a pain in the donkey (and seemed to take a disliking to me), and some of the kids in the class seemed kinda mean... but there were some positives about it too. For example, I learned about the California missions (and built a model of one) and the California Gold Rush.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/28/21 at 9:12 pm

Probably my senior year 93-94. Easy because it was a tiny school and there was nothing more to offer. Out of 7 classes, I had 3 study halls, independent shop, government, pre-calc, and computers. There was no such thing as leaving for work, college prep classes, etc. Just not much to do all day. I was the best TI-85 programmer in the school, so the math teacher would pull me out of boring government to write programs for his other classes. Computer class we would just play games. Pre-calc was 6 students, we collaborated and had fun and messed with the calculator for the most part. Independent shop was a class they made for just me because I already had 4 years of shop so I could just build without going through the safety training a 5th time. Otherwise I would have had 4 study halls.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/28/21 at 10:42 pm

Elementary school lunch was ok. But when I got to Jr. High the food was so much better because they actually cooked the meals themselves. My favorite was the pizza and the peanut butter cookies for dessert! I liked the brownies too.

Written By: nally on 02/28/21 at 10:48 pm

Elementary school lunch was ok. But when I got to Jr. High the food was so much better because they actually cooked the meals themselves. My favorite was the pizza and the peanut butter cookies for dessert! I liked the brownies too.

On that note, it was in the 4th grade when I started buying lunch from the cafeteria. (Before then, I always brought a sack lunch, usually consisting of a sandwich, some cookies, and a piece of fruit.)

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/01/21 at 9:50 am

Collage and Grad school for sure

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/01/21 at 11:54 am

I never once ate lunch at high school. I always went to my friends house, my grandmas house, or my moms restaurant, or to the store.

In elementary school I ate lunch there almost every day. Some stuff was really good and some not. For years they served soy burgers which I loved. Later they switched to these small gray slimy things. The pizza was gray and greasy but was good. So was their corn, it was large dark yellow kernels.

One day in 2nd grade we made these paper bodies with all the organs and the bladder was a dark red oval. That day they served plums and everybody said they were bladders. Except one girl who actually knew what they were but she was out voiced.

Then this time when one kid said it was gross when someone stirred their mashed potatoes and gravy. So they made a rule that you couldn’t do that. Stuff like that still goes on, in a small town if you’ve got the right last name it only takes one person to make a change no matter how silly, but if you don’t have a town name, you can get beat on every day and nobody does anything about it. I moved as soon as I became an adult and was able to do so.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/01/21 at 12:05 pm

I never once ate lunch at high school. I always went to my friends house, my grandmas house, or my moms restaurant, or to the store.

In elementary school I ate lunch there almost every day. Some stuff was really good and some not. For years they served soy burgers which I loved. Later they switched to these small gray slimy things. The pizza was gray and greasy but was good. So was their corn, it was large dark yellow kernels.

One day in 2nd grade we made these paper bodies with all the organs and the bladder was a dark red oval. That day they served plums and everybody said they were bladders. Except one girl who actually knew what they were but she was out voiced.

Then this time when one kid said it was gross when someone stirred their mashed potatoes and gravy. So they made a rule that you couldn’t do that. Stuff like that still goes on, in a small town if you’ve got the right last name it only takes one person to make a change no matter how silly, but if you don’t have a town name, you can get beat on every day and nobody does anything about it. I moved as soon as I became an adult and was able to do so.

Those are some bizarre stories, man.:o I can't believe they made a rule that said mashed potatoes and gravy could not be stirred together. This is part of the idiocy of the school system, small town or large.

Myself, I have no favorite school years. Even as a child I instinctively understood school wasn't too good for me. Yes, they taught me basic things like how to read and write (and I'm not even sure they do that effectively anymore), but other than that, everything of worth I have learned in life I learned on my own. Including all the books I read. I sought these out on my own and school had nothing to do with it. 

Written By: violet_shy on 03/01/21 at 12:13 pm

Elementary school lunches were always gross. When I was in 5th grade we would get chicken cutlets(patties) on Fridays. It was either that or pizza. Anyway, we would always find pieces of something inside the chicken. It was almost like cartilage or something...We called them Pattie's bones lol ;D. Then we I got to Jr. High the menu was so much better. And the food actually tasted good. 

Written By: nally on 03/01/21 at 12:37 pm

I never ate lunch from the cafeteria in high school either. This is because the school cafeteria had been damaged in the Northridge earthquake, which occurred in early 1994. And it was in that year when I transitioned from middle school to high school. Of course the school had suffered earthquake damage, to many buildings...including the school cafeteria... and it took several months (in some cases, at least a year) to repair any portions of buildings that suffered damage. And when the cafeteria finally got repaired, I was a senior...but it did not fully open yet! (So the Chatsworth class of '98 was totally deprived of the cafeteria!) All I could do was bring a sack lunch each day...and sit wherever.

That's another thing, because there was no open area for kids to sit while eating their lunches, they would gather anywhere they wanted to, all around campus (even indoors, on the floor of a hallway). And often times they were too lazy to clean up after themselves, and it was rather disgusting. :P

Written By: Howard on 03/01/21 at 2:58 pm

Elementary school lunches were always gross. When I was in 5th grade we would get chicken cutlets(patties) on Fridays. It was either that or pizza. Anyway, we would always find pieces of something inside the chicken. It was almost like cartilage or something...We called them Pattie's bones lol ;D. Then we I got to Jr. High the menu was so much better. And the food actually tasted good.

I didn't really like school lunches, it was always either pizza, hamburgers or meat patties.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/01/21 at 4:36 pm

We never had a dedicated lunchroom. We had tables and benches that folded flush into the wall. In the elementary school we ate in the gym. In the high school we ate in the library. Well I didn’t since I never had the high school food.

Written By: Ripley on 03/01/21 at 4:49 pm

Elementary School (Grade school as we call it here) Kindergarten - 5th Grade: I don’t think I had a favorite grade per say but I will say that in the fifth grade I had my first best friend. From the fall of 1994 until sometime in 1995. After that she didn’t hang out with me anymore. For the most I was made fun of a lot for a couple of years. So I had some good times, but for the most part I didn’t care for it. Food wise, I recall it was similar to all my future schools. The rectangle pizza was always great. But the best thing was the chili with a huge cinnamon roll!

Junior High (Middle School) 6th Grade - 8th Grade: My class was the first one to have the 6th grade in middle school instead of grade school in my small town. That previous summer they added on to the Junior and High School and separated the two except for 2 connected halls. A few rooms were now being shared but it was a huge update. At the start of it, in the 6th grade, I was still made fun of a lot. While some still did it to me in later years, I was thankful that for the most part people left me alone from the 7th grade on. Just like grade school I didn’t have a favorite year. Lunch was the same menu, although we had a little concession stand which was for when there were basketball games and stuff. They opened up at lunch and had some stuff there for us to buy. Plus vending machines. Though I don’t recall taking advantage of it until high school. The new addition included a nice big lunch room with a little outside area. It was between the lunchroom and a glass hall connecting the schools. The other connection hall was at the end of the lunchroom by the huge new high school/basketball game gym.

High School 9th Grade - 12th Grade: I liked 11th grade. That was a good year. I remember I had both awesome Art and Computer classes. Those two were the types I always enjoyed. I didn’t care for any other classes to be honest lol. I had a few friends but no one I was super close to. But in my senior year I became best friends with one of my friends. We ended up having an on again/off again friendship for several years. It’s been quite a few since we have talked. I could get in touch it’s just sad to even think about. I hung with unpopular kids. As far as the jocks and preps, and most others, I was an outcast. I have mixed thoughts about it thinking back. But at least I have a year I can call my favorite!

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/01/21 at 5:32 pm

I lived 5 miles outside a town of 400 people. My graduating class was 20, my sisters was 16. We had 4 school buses.

We had no pre school or middle school. The elementary was basically a one room schoolhouse with grades divided by wheeled chalkboards. 5th and 6th grade were in the same room. You could hear all the little kids singing every morning from the younger grades. Little Bunny Foo Foo, Kookaburra, Circle Round Valentine.... Some of the teachers were big animal lovers and would raise chickens and things in class. One time they had this spider habitat and the spiders got loose so they got in every room. OMG we were having wolf spiders crawling out of cubby holes for weeks.

We didn’t have much. For band you played wind instruments or nothing, so I stayed out. Never had much lung capacity anyway. If they had strings I’d have played. For sports you played basketball or nothing. Never was a sports fan. For the last couple years they struck a deal where kids who wanted to play football could play on the team in the neighboring town. No home ec. No auto mechanics or anything like that. They got rid of the wood shop shortly after I graduated.

9th grade was fun in a way. The principal also taught earth science. Shortly into the year he got called to Desert Storm and was out the entire school year. So they brought in this total doofus. He would let you take a test as many times as you wanted until you got the grade you wanted. We never did any work. We would often go for walks around town and the park, calling it an earth walk to make it valid. Led by him. My mom said he was “dense”. That year I was at my sickest before my 2nd surgery so thankfully I didn’t miss much.

Check for new replies or respond here...