inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How many characters will your browser let you enter into the address bar?

Written By: Dude111 on 11/07/18 at 12:57 am

I was just fooling about and wondered if there was a limit to how many characters you could enter in the address bar field...

I tried it in MyIE2 and it let me enter 24,155 characters before beeping I was @ the end!!! (I put the whole string in notepad after and of course you know notepad tells you how many characters there are)

I havent tried it in IE6 yet.....

24,155??? -- Wow no one would EVER use that amount of characters!!

EDIT:

IE6 only lets me enter 2048 characters ;D

Subject: Re: How many characters will your browser let you enter into the address bar?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/18 at 1:14 am

I was just fooling about and wondered if there was a limit to how many characters you could enter in the address bar field...

I tried it in MyIE2 and it let me enter 24,155 characters before beeping I was @ the end!!! (I put the whole string in notepad after and of course you know notepad tells you how many characters there are)

I havent tried it in IE6 yet.....

24,155??? -- Wow no one would EVER use that amount of characters!!

EDIT:

IE6 only lets me enter 2048 characters ;D
I have seen very long URL addresses, but never had the need to count the characters.

Subject: Re: How many characters will your browser let you enter into the address bar?

Written By: karen on 11/07/18 at 11:25 am

Are you bored?  I've got a house that needs cleaning if you're looking for something to do!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/18 at 11:48 am

Are you bored?  I've got a house that needs cleaning if you're looking for something to do!
...my cleaning has been done!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/18 at 12:34 pm

I was thinking someone has WAY too much time on their hands.

Cat

Written By: nally on 11/07/18 at 12:36 pm

I have seen very long URL addresses, but never had the need to count the characters.

Me neither. It hasn't mattered to me in the least bit.

Excellent idea!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/18 at 3:56 pm

Me neither. It hasn't mattered to me in the least bit.

Did it bother Tim Berners-Lee?

Subject: How many characters will your browser let you enter into the address bar?

Written By: Dude111 on 11/07/18 at 9:15 pm

I was thinking someone has WAY too much time on their hands.

Im sorry Cat,just something interesting I thought of.... If you wanna delete my thread ya can :) (Click REMOVE TOPIC at the bottom)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/08/18 at 2:56 pm

Im sorry Cat,just something interesting I thought of.... If you wanna delete my thread ya can :) (Click REMOVE TOPIC at the bottom)

Some people may think it is interesting and some people don't. I'm not going to delete this thread because I happen to think the topic is not interesting. If I did that-there would probably be very few threads on this board.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/08/18 at 3:05 pm

Is there a limit? ???

Written By: Dude111 on 11/08/18 at 6:50 pm

I didnt ever think of it until I tried and it beeped @ 24155!!

Totally insane it would allow that much......

Written By: nally on 11/09/18 at 1:18 pm

Some people may think it is interesting and some people don't. I'm not going to delete this thread because I happen to think the topic is not interesting. If I did that-there would probably be very few threads on this board.

Cat

That's right; everyone has their own set of interests.  :) That said, some people certainly may find it interesting in one way or another, like you said.

Written By: karen on 11/09/18 at 2:17 pm

I didnt ever think of it until I tried and it beeped @ 24155!!

Totally insane it would allow that much......

My son wonders if you used a variety of characters? Would it allow more if you only used something small like a lower case i and fewer if you only typed in capital W's?

Written By: Howard on 11/09/18 at 3:09 pm

I tried it with mine and mine doesn't seem to have a limit. ???

Check for new replies or respond here...