inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 8th grade

Written By: John Titor on 11/12/18 at 8:46 pm

What school year was 8th grade for you ? Share your 8th grade 2000s experiences.
I know not many of you were in middle school during the 2000s.

I think the whole board knows my story and year lol

Subject: Re: 8th grade

Written By: mqg96 on 11/12/18 at 9:03 pm

2009-2010, which was a huge year pop culturally when it came to the beginning of 2010's culture and the end of the 2000's in every expect. 8th grade was my favorite grade of middle school (or least worst really). Had a lot of good memories and bad memories but more good ones tho.  8)

Written By: John Titor on 11/12/18 at 9:13 pm

2009-2010, which was a huge year pop culturally when it came to the beginning of 2010's culture and the end of the 2000's in every expect. 8th grade was my favorite grade of middle school (or least worst really). Had a lot of good memories and bad memories but more good ones tho.  8)

That must have been quite the experience, you were n 8th grade for the beginning of the 2010s    2009-2010
and I was in the 8th grade for the start of the 2000s        2001-2002

What was the 09-2010 year like for you?

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/13/18 at 1:38 am

2005-2006

It was an okay year. It was at least miles better than 7th grade.

I was really into Degrassi and Family Guy that year. MTV reality shows like Yo Momma were getting huge that year. A lot of boys wore big, baggy white t-shirts with baggy pants. I think its popularity was influenced by that hip-hop song In My White Tee. Anyway, my school banned those shirts before long.  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/18 at 9:54 am

What are the age ranges for 8th grade at school in the US?

Written By: 2001 on 11/13/18 at 11:39 am

What are the age ranges for 8th grade at school in the US?

8th Grade in the US = Year 9 in the UK. Not sure about the age ranges. I think you go in 13 but turn 14 during the school year or you are 14 during the entire school year.

Anyway, I was in Grade 8 in 2005-06 school year. Dark times :P

Written By: 2001 on 11/13/18 at 11:41 am

2005-2006

It was an okay year. It was at least miles better than 7th grade.

I was really into Degrassi and Family Guy that year. MTV reality shows like Yo Momma were getting huge that year. A lot of boys wore big, baggy white t-shirts with baggy pants. I think its popularity was influenced by that hip-hop song In My White Tee. Anyway, my school banned those shirts before long.  :P

Yeesh! Like I said, dark times. Those t shirts went down past the knees ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/18 at 11:48 am

8th Grade in the US = Year 9 in the UK. Not sure about the age ranges. I think you go in 13 but turn 14 during the school year or you are 14 during the entire school year.

Thanks for the info.

Back in my younger days, it was never called this, that period of time for me was 2nd Year (I think).

Written By: John Titor on 11/13/18 at 12:07 pm

2001-2002 year 8th grade recap
Wrote this in another thread but its relevant to the topic

- That school year felt BRAND NEW, not just because of 9/11
- the school year felt very adult, everyone was obsessed with sex
- GTA 3 was THE GAME to have, it was on commercials, newscasts everything
- Got my first kiss in early 2002 and my first relationship, that also added towards my " brand new era feeling"
- HEAVY Nintendo backlash due to  Gamecube, everyone hated it and you would be clowned for having that system.
- Teen Pop was 100% dead, the only really y2k sounding songs came from Jessica Simpson & The Remaining songs on NSYNCS last album (which was Neptunes produced mostly)
- Britney Spears "Adult Image"
- MTV 2 is added to most cable systems, and gives more freedom over watching Music Videos in the morning.
- WWF popularity takes a nosedive but becomes popular again in early 2002 when Hulk Hogan comes back, then its popularity dips few months later.
- Little American Flags EVERYWHERE, due to 9/11
- Toonami fades off around December 2001, last few episodes I remember during this time were the Pikkon episodes.
- My interest in Fox Kids this time is at an all time low
- Starting in October everyone is obsessed with Spongebob, it was everywhere !
- Yugioh tried to be the next Pokemon and fails.
- There was an explosion of teens using Wet Naps as weapons this year, we would twist the wet naps to make it a squirt gun.
- Sex Ed class, Like I stated before this was the school year obsessed with sex, this was also the first year I had taken part in a sex ed class.
- DVDS DVDS DVDS, dvd was the cool buzzword back then, Blockbuster was capitalizing on this so much with a huge D  V  D sign in the front of the store.
- Halo did not take off the jump, in late 2001 Halo came out, I played it but it was NEVER the powerhouse it would become in 2004.
- I noticed around this time music videos took on this cold grey blue look, It was a welcomed breath of fresh air from the y2k metallic look preceding it.
- The Ozzy Osborne comeback due to the Osborunes tv show on MTV.
- Frosted tips kind of fall off around October 2001
- Party lines come back, There was this number called The New York Raven, it was pretty much myspace in phone form.
- Shakira's Whenever Wherever seemed to have lasted the entire school year, It would not go away.
- Interesting Winter we had in early 2002, it snowed, but it was walkable, in the New Jersey era.
- Heavy influx of illegal driving due to Fast & The Furious
- Dreamcast games were still being sold in late 2001, but they were all the way in the corner of the store almost hidden
- Final Fantasy X was unreal, I remember people still haven't beat it as late as December 2001.
- Tramp stamps become big around this time, heavy influx of lower back tribal tattoos that one week in January 2002.
- Air Force One's Pop off around December 01- January 2002
- Web Tv is still popular this school year
- Dial up is the way most people used the internet
- Game Boy Color loses popularity fast
- Smoking becomes a thing for teens in this grade

Written By: John Titor on 11/13/18 at 12:08 pm

the XXL era

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/13/18 at 1:44 pm

Luckily they phased out by the end of the decade and were replaced by smaller, more form-fitting tees.  ;)

Written By: bchris02 on 11/13/18 at 3:36 pm

As somebody who graduated high school in 2004 and spent most of the mid '00s in college, I always thought that style died in the Y2K era along with JNCOs and other skater-inspired fashion. Did it last longer for younger kids?

And speaking of the Y2K era, my 8th grade year was the 1999-2000 school year.  That was also the year I ditched my JNCOs and XXL t-shirts and switched to more preppy A&F and American Eagle clothes.

Written By: John Titor on 11/13/18 at 4:57 pm

As somebody who graduated high school in 2004 and spent most of the mid '00s in college, I always thought that style died in the Y2K era along with JNCOs and other skater-inspired fashion. Did it last longer for younger kids?

And speaking of the Y2K era, my 8th grade year was the 1999-2000 school year.  That was also the year I ditched my JNCOs and XXL t-shirts and switched to more preppy A&F and American Eagle clothes.

XXL t's  lasted into 2008

Written By: piecesof93 on 11/13/18 at 5:38 pm

I was in 8th grade during the 2006-2007 school year.

Written By: 2001 on 11/13/18 at 6:31 pm

XXL t's  lasted into 2008

Yep, I remember my mom embarassingly asking my friend around spring/summer 2008 if long shirts are what the fashionable kids are wearing these days ;D (Not me, I wore those long-sleeve short shirts instead that exposed my white double hole and studded belts  :-[)

Written By: mc98 on 11/14/18 at 8:32 am

2012-2013

It was pretty fine.

Written By: Howard on 11/14/18 at 3:15 pm

1988-1989

Written By: John Titor on 11/14/18 at 3:57 pm

1988-1989
:D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/18 at 5:49 pm

Thanks for the info.

Back in my younger days, it was never called this, that period of time for me was 2nd Year (I think).
One thing I found enjoyable was making new friends from my classmates.

Written By: karen on 11/15/18 at 1:26 am

Not an enjoyable time for me at school. Stand up rows in the form room. I have no clue what they were about but I managed on two separate occasions to fall out big time with people I had previously been friends with.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/15/18 at 2:04 am

Not an enjoyable time for me at school. Stand up rows in the form room. I have no clue what they were about but I managed on two separate occasions to fall out big time with people I had previously been friends with.
I read your words as: ...stand up in rows in the form room.

Written By: Howard on 11/15/18 at 7:47 am

:D

I was in both Mainstream and Special Ed classes back then plus I was on the Honor Roll back in 1989.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/15/18 at 12:38 pm

It was a transitional year for me. I spent the first couple of months in a school in Conn. that I attended since 6th grade that I HATED! I was living with my mother. My mother & I headed south close to Washington D.C. where my dad lived. She enrolled me in a school in Virginia but I never attended. I was actually out of school for a few months before I moved in with my dad. I than enrolled in one in Maryland just outside of Washington D.C. The next year I moved out to Oklahoma and lived with my grandmother for 9th grade before moving back with my mother & step-father in New York State for high school. 

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/17/18 at 11:43 pm

What school year was 8th grade for you ?...

Years 1972-73.  A year of awesome pop culture.  Eighth grade was personally rough - I spent the whole year obsessed over one boy, only to learn later that he had a steady girlfriend.  Woe is me!    :-[  Plus it was painful in other ways, too.

(Luckily, 9th grade - a year that was a lot of fun - was on its way...)

Written By: nally on 11/18/18 at 12:34 am

It has been 25 years since I was there. Amazing, but true! :o

Written By: Contigo on 11/08/21 at 1:08 pm

Yes,

51 years ago.

It was a great year for music and TV shows.

Written By: kr37 on 11/08/21 at 3:02 pm

8th grade was 10 years ago for me, 2011-2012. I generally liked elementary school and high school more than middle school, but I've felt more nostalgic for middle school now that it feels like a longer time ago. I remember our middle school graduation and class trip at the end of the year.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/08/21 at 3:20 pm

For me 8th grade was in 1993 to 1994. It was my best school year!

Written By: whistledog on 11/08/21 at 4:31 pm

Grade 8 was 1990 for me.  I didn't enjoy it because I got bullied a lot.  Back in the day, bullies didn't really get major punishments and if someone getting bullied told someone of authority, he would only get a worse beating for squealing

Written By: Ripley on 11/08/21 at 4:47 pm

For me it was 1998-1999. I didn’t like it cause kids were a holes.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/09/21 at 9:12 am

"58-'59 for me. A new school so I was the new kid.  For a short time all the girls wanted to be my girlfriend so it was cool

Check for new replies or respond here...