inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Happy Thanksgiving!

Written By: violet_shy on 11/22/18 at 7:29 am

Have a wonderful, beautiful, and blessed day!  :)

Subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/18 at 7:30 am

Enjoy the day!

Written By: Howard on 11/22/18 at 8:17 am

Have a wonderful, beautiful, and blessed day!  :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/22/18 at 9:22 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you all! :)

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/22/18 at 10:43 am

I ate that good sh!t.

Written By: meesa on 11/22/18 at 11:52 am

Enjoy the day!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/18 at 1:51 am

All out for the shops today?

Written By: Howard on 11/23/18 at 7:40 am

They're out for the Black Friday sales.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/18 at 7:48 am

It will probably be quiet here today?

Written By: Dude111 on 11/24/18 at 7:37 pm

I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving :)

I had all organic stuff and it was delicious....

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/25/18 at 2:09 am

We have ours today around noon.

Written By: nally on 11/25/18 at 7:29 pm

Something that my family & I ALWAYS avoid. I don't like to fight crowds if I don't have to, or waste time in traffic/long lines if I don't have to. Especially if I don't need to buy something that's on sale right away.

Written By: nally on 11/25/18 at 7:30 pm

I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving :)

Mine was good in that we were together as a family and sat down/enjoyed our meal... but on the down side I wasn't feeling good physically. (It was my first time being sick on Thanksgiving Day.)

Written By: Dude111 on 11/27/18 at 4:47 pm

Ahhhh im sorry buddy...... I hope ya feel ok now http://i59.tinypic.com/72tuzr.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/22 at 4:28 am

Remind me please, what is the traditional fare for Thanksgiving Day Dinner?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/22 at 8:33 am

Remind me please, what is the traditional fare for Thanksgiving Day Dinner?

Turkey, stuffing, mash potatoes, cranberry sauce, yams, pumpkin pie, apple pie, and usually some kind of vegetable dish-brussle sprouts, a bean dish. I know some people have mac & cheese but we don't. Most families will have their own special dishes they will add.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/22 at 9:02 am

Turkey, stuffing, mash potatoes, cranberry sauce, yams, pumpkin pie, apple pie, and usually some kind of vegetable dish-brussle sprouts, a bean dish. I know some people have mac & cheese but we don't. Most families will have their own special dishes they will add.

Cat
http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/thanksgiving/smiley.gif Thank you http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/thanksgiving/smiley.gif

..and the leftovers eaten in many numerous forms on Black Friday?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/22 at 10:17 am

Cat
Will there still be the pardoned this year, and will President Joe Biden be back in time for the ceremony?

Written By: nally on 11/19/22 at 11:04 am

Will there still be the pardoned this year, and will President Joe Biden be back in time for the ceremony?

That I'm not sure.

But I do know that he will turn 80 tomorrow!!

Written By: nally on 11/19/22 at 11:07 am

Cat

That is so true; in fact, my family often adds something Italian to the feast.

In fact, this year, my parents & I are going up to a distant relative's place in Paso Robles, just like we did last year. This relative is a second cousin of my mother. (His mother, who is still alive at 89 years of age but has dementia, was a first cousin of my late maternal grandmother, who was fully Italian. Those ladies' respective mothers were sisters.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/22 at 12:17 pm

That I'm not sure.

But I do know that he will turn 80 tomorrow!!
I thought he was younger than that.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/22 at 2:26 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/thanksgiving/smiley.gif Thank you http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/thanksgiving/smiley.gif

..and the leftovers eaten in many numerous forms on Black Friday?

If a person makes too much of one dish you can have leftovers for the next day.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/22 at 2:29 pm

What's the need for a pardon, you're gonna wind up eating the bird anyhow.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/22 at 2:30 pm

What's the need for a pardon, you're gonna wind up eating the bird anyhow.
I understand that one turkey each year is 'saved' from the slaughter by the US President, therefore not eaten.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/22 at 2:41 pm

I understand that one turkey each year is 'saved' from the slaughter by the US President, therefore not eaten.

Why does The President have to do it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/22 at 2:44 pm

The National Thanksgiving Turkey Presentation is a ceremony that takes place at the White House every year shortly before Thanksgiving. The president of the United States is presented with a live domestic turkey by the National Turkey Federation (NTF), usually males of the Broad Breasted White variety. The early years also included a joint presentation with the Poultry and Egg National Board. The ceremony dates back to the 1940s; these turkeys were usually slaughtered and eaten (with some exceptions) prior to the 1970s, when it became standard practice to spare the turkey. During the Presidency of George H. W. Bush, it became a tradition (since carried on by all of Bush's successors) for the president to issue a ceremonial "pardon" to the turkey. It is a tradition that the turkeys be picked from the chairperson of the NTF's home state, occasionally from the chair's own farm.

Turkeys had been donated to the President as gifts from private citizens. Horace Vose, a Rhode Island turkey farmer, presented a dressed turkey to the President each year from 1873 until his death in 1913. In 1913, South Trimble, a Kentucky farmer and Clerk of the United States House of Representatives, presented a turkey to then-President Woodrow Wilson that year, convinced that his red pepper-fed but smaller turkey tasted better than Vose's; no record survives of which turkey Wilson chose. This, along with Vose's death that December, set off a free-for-all in which numerous farmers tried to be the one to supply the annual holiday turkeys to the President. The rivalry escalated in the Roaring Twenties, with a group of women Warren G. Harding supporters from Chicago sending Harding turkeys (including in 1920 when he was still President-Elect and at the Panama Canal Zone; the turkey was delivered by train), while Cuero, Texas also sent Wilson and Harding turkeys. The Cuero turkeys were notable for being the first to be sent while still alive; the Wilson administration slaughtered and ate the bird. Calvin Coolidge, alarmed at the number of turkeys being offered to the President at the time, briefly stopped the tradition upon assuming office in 1923 and chose to buy his own turkey; he relented in 1925 and was soon bombarded with an unusual array of animals to eat, including Rebecca, a live raccoon that Coolidge received in 1926 and, unwilling to eat it, designated as a White House pet.

The official presentation of a turkey to the President each year began in 1947 under President Harry S. Truman.

etc, etc, etc...

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/22 at 2:46 pm

Have you seen "Free Birds" the 2013 American computer-animated science fiction comedy film.

Written By: Howard on 11/20/22 at 2:56 am

Have you seen "Free Birds" the 2013 American computer-animated science fiction comedy film.

No I haven't but I'll try to take a peek of it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/20/22 at 2:32 pm

If a person makes too much of one dish you can have leftovers for the next day.

And the day after that. And the day after that, etc. etc.

-Turkey sandwiches (either hot or cold)
-Turkey potpie
-Turkey hash
-Turkey stew
-Turkey soup

And by the following week everyone is so sick of turkey that they probably won't have it again for another year (until NEXT Thanksgiving).

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/20/22 at 3:44 pm

-Turkey potpie
-Turkey hash
-Turkey stew
-Turkey soup

And by the following week everyone is so sick of turkey that they probably won't have it again for another year (until NEXT Thanksgiving).

Cat

Or turkey omelettes.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/20/22 at 3:48 pm

Or turkey omelettes.

That, too.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/22 at 5:39 am

-Turkey potpie
-Turkey hash
-Turkey stew
-Turkey soup

Cat

Just like Christmas Dinners?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/22 at 3:06 pm

Just like Christmas Dinners?

Yup. My family had turkey for Christmas, too. Carlos' family does not. They usually have a Puerto Rican dinner-pork roast with rice & beans. ONE time we had turkey and two of his daughters did nothing but b!tch the entire way through dinner. They kept saying that turkey was for Thanksgiving not Christmas. I said that my family had turkey for Christmas and they didn't say anything. But, Carlos' son (their brother) also requested turkey.

Turkey and all the trimmings is my second favorite meal (lobster is #1). Because we no longer have turkey for Christmas, and we usually go to one of Carlos' kids' house for Thanksgiving, I RARELY have my own turkey with all the trimmings and leftovers that go with it. But, my "chef" made me a turkey about a month ago and then we hosted Thanksgiving this year (the first time in I don't know how many years), I have so much turkey and I am LOVING IT!!!

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/22 at 3:21 pm

Yup. My family had turkey for Christmas, too. Carlos' family does not. They usually have a Puerto Rican dinner-pork roast with rice & beans. ONE time we had turkey and two of his daughters did nothing but b!tch the entire way through dinner. They kept saying that turkey was for Thanksgiving not Christmas. I said that my family had turkey for Christmas and they didn't say anything. But, Carlos' son (their brother) also requested turkey.

Turkey and all the trimmings is my second favorite meal (lobster is #1). Because we no longer have turkey for Christmas, and we usually go to one of Carlos' kids' house for Thanksgiving, I RARELY have my own turkey with all the trimmings and leftovers that go with it. But, my "chef" made me a turkey about a month ago and then we hosted Thanksgiving this year (the first time in I don't know how many years), I have so much turkey and I am LOVING IT!!!

Cat
Through the years, I have always preferred chicken than turkey, for the latter is too dry in texture.

Written By: Ripley on 11/21/22 at 6:58 pm

Gobble gobble gobble

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/23/22 at 9:39 am

Through the years, I have always preferred chicken than turkey, for the latter is too dry in texture.

Depends on how you cook it.  I start with the oven at about 450, pop in the bird and reduce the heat to 350.  I baste it at least once/hour with pan drippings. Unstuffed it takes 15 min / lb.  If stuffed add 5 min/lb.  It is usually nice and moist

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/22 at 10:21 am

Depends on how you cook it.  I start with the oven at about 450, pop in the bird and reduce the heat to 350.  I baste it at least once/hour with pan drippings. Unstuffed it takes 15 min / lb.  If stuffed add 5 min/lb.  It is usually nice and moist
Nowadays my family do the cooking, all I know is the bird goes in the oven.

Written By: Howard on 11/23/22 at 3:59 pm

What do you stuff it with?

Written By: Ripley on 11/23/22 at 4:05 pm

We have a big turkey for just us two. But lots of leftovers.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/22 at 2:42 am

Happy Thanksgiving!

To you all!

Written By: Howard on 11/24/22 at 3:02 am

Happy Thanksgiving!

To you all!

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Phil, enjoy your day. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/22 at 8:13 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Phil, enjoy your day. :)
I could find the turkey I need for today, so I chose chicken instead.

Written By: nally on 11/24/22 at 10:19 am

Just like last year, this year I’m celebrating the holiday with a certain branch of the family.

Written By: Howard on 11/24/22 at 1:29 pm

I could find the turkey I need for today, so I chose chicken instead.

And what about your side dishes?

Written By: Howard on 11/24/22 at 1:29 pm

Our Family brought in White Castle.

Written By: Ripley on 11/24/22 at 1:31 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!

To you all!

Thank you!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/22 at 2:32 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone. For those of you who are traveling, safe travels. For those of you who are hosting, hope you have a GREAT get-together. Those of you who are spending a quiet day, GOOD FOR YOU! Hope EVERYONE is having a great time no matter which way they chose to celebrate a day of eating or reflection.

BTW, for those in other parts of the world where this is not a day they celebrate, this is the TRUE meaning of Thanksgiving. The myth is that it is supposed to commemorate the first harvest after the Pilgrims landed in Plymouth, Mass in 1621 and invited the Natives to join. That meal DID happen but it wasn't all wonderful with all of them singing Kumbyah and such. It lasted for 3 days and the Pilgrims were not happy about it because the Natives basically ate all of the food they had stored away for the winter. But, the Natives did supply food, too. They brought venison, lobster (this was Massachusetts after all) and other foods. The meal itself wasn't a big deal at the time. It happened and afterward, both groups went on their merry way and almost forgotten.

There were several days of Thanksgiving throughout U.S. history. The Second Continental Congress declared a Day of Thanksgiving after the Battle of Saratoga during the Revolutionary War. President George Washington also declared a Day of Thanksgiving at the end of November during his tenure.

It wasn't until maybe a couple of centuries later that the history of the first meal was discovered by the diaries kept by the Pilgrims. It was then Lincoln who declared the last Thursday in November a Day of Thanksgiving during the Civil War. 

In 1870 Congress made it a National Holiday.

It wasn't until FDR in 1941 that the 3rd Thursday of November was designated as Thanksgiving Day. Part of this was in hope there would be a jump on Christmas shopping to stir the economy still hurting by the Depression.

Today, most people think it is supposed to celebrate a meal that took place in 1621 and the harvest which is why the table is full of late season foods-potatoes, pumpkins, squash, etc. etc. But, the REAL and MOST IMPORTANT reason for the day is to celebrate family-something most people are grateful for. It is why the day before is the most traveled day. Yeah, the food is great. It is nice to watch the parades and games (well, for some, not for me). But the true meaning of the day is to give thanks to and for our families.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/25/22 at 10:03 am

What do you stuff it with?

Commercial stuffing mix + chopped carrots, celery and onions and herbs like parsley, cilantro, savory etc

Written By: Howard on 11/25/22 at 1:27 pm

Commercial stuffing mix + chopped carrots, celery and onions and herbs like parsley, cilantro, savory etc

Sounds delicious. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/25/22 at 2:03 pm

Sounds delicious. :)

Just about everything my personal chef makes is delicious. That's why my weight is up.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/26/22 at 6:53 am

Just about everything my personal chef makes is delicious. That's why my weight is up.  :-\\

Cat

Do you have a favorite dish from Thanksgiving?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/22 at 2:20 pm

Do you have a favorite dish from Thanksgiving?

Turkey.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/22 at 5:41 am

-Turkey potpie
-Turkey hash
-Turkey stew
-Turkey soup

Cat

So definitely not turkey for Christmas?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/22 at 7:59 am

-Turkey potpie
-Turkey hash
-Turkey stew
-Turkey soup

Cat

Lobster thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce garnished with truffle pâté, brandy and with a fried egg on top and turkey?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/28/22 at 2:09 pm

I forgot to mention to our friends across the pond that Thanksgiving is also known as "Turkey Day." You can guess why.

As for me, after having turkey everyday for the past week and a half, I think it is safe to say that I am a bit turkeyed out and we STILL have some. The "chef" put most of it in the freezer but there is still some in the fridge for lunches.

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 11/28/22 at 2:53 pm

I forgot to mention to our friends across the pond that Thanksgiving is also known as "Turkey Day." You can guess why.

As for me, after having turkey everyday for the past week and a half, I think it is safe to say that I am a bit turkeyed out and we STILL have some. The "chef" put most of it in the freezer but there is still some in the fridge for lunches.

Cat

This is how I get. I looooovvvvee turkey but I do get tired of it after 3 or 4 days in a row.  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/28/22 at 2:58 pm

This is how I get. I looooovvvvee turkey but I do get tired of it after 3 or 4 days in a row.  :D

It took me about 9 days in a row to get tired of it (either lunch or dinner or both). I could have gone for #10 but opted for cereal for my lunch today and the chef is planning pasta for dinner.

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 11/28/22 at 3:03 pm

It took me about 9 days in a row to get tired of it (either lunch or dinner or both). I could have gone for #10 but opted for cereal for my lunch today and the chef is planning pasta for dinner.

Cat

We have a some in the freezer for next time too. Today however is ham & beans.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/22 at 3:15 pm

Turkey.

Cat

My favorite would have to be the dessert (pumpkin pie)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/22 at 3:17 pm

My favorite would have to be the dessert (pumpkin pie)
Any cream or sauce poured over it?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/28/22 at 3:33 pm

I like to have a little pumpkin pie with my whipped cream.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/28/22 at 3:34 pm

Yes a lot of whipped cream.

Written By: Ripley on 11/28/22 at 4:04 pm

I put a ton of whipped cream on my pie

Written By: nally on 11/28/22 at 8:10 pm

I like to have a little pumpkin pie with my whipped cream.

Cat

Heehee; sometimes I do too. ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/29/22 at 3:18 am

I put a ton of whipped cream on my pie

And after a few slices, along with a cuppa coffee I'm pretty much full.

Written By: Dude111 on 12/01/22 at 11:52 pm

I hope everyones day was g00d!!

Check for new replies or respond here...