inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "What Happened To My Toys?"

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/19 at 1:59 pm

When you were young, you played with toys, and when you grew up, the toys were put away, but were did they go?

Stow in the attic?
Hand-Me-Down to other children, cousins or friends?
Sold off by parents?
You kept them for your own children?
Or, you sold them off yourself?

What happened to your toys?

Subject: Re: "What Happened To My Toys?"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/17/19 at 2:33 pm

Many disappeared from the many moves. Most of my stuff animals/dolls are in a box in the attic. A few special ones are sitting on my dresser-they are old, dirty, and had been sewn many, many times but still very much loved. I have two Madam Alexandra dolls that are on permanent loan to my sister.

I still have a few games. I WAS going to sell them so they were included in our "inventory room" of the crap stuff to be sold but for some reason, I just can't part with them.

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 05/17/19 at 4:14 pm

Donated. I still have some of them–I should probably donate them too.

Written By: robby76 on 05/18/19 at 4:23 am

It was summer 1988 and the family (except my Dad) were all going back to the UK for a holiday. I packed all my toys in the toy cupboards, but I left out about 10 of my favourite GI Joe action figures to play with last minute. When I came back home, I realised that my cousins had been round to the house and my Dad had given them my favourite Joes - he thought I was getting too old for them at age 12. :(  I think my childhood ended that day lol. There was no way I could re-collect all those GI Joes. I think that's why I avidly collect 80s toys as an adult.

My mother was constantly giving away my old toys to the local kindergarten or to charities. I wish she'd kept them all.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/19 at 2:35 pm

A lot of my toys became broken or gave them away, most of them during the mid to late 1980's especially the ones I used to have that would include a 2-XL, Teddy Ruxpin my brother had one, he won it from a radio station. I think one that I have in my closet, it's called a Copycat sort of like a Simon but a mini version of it from 1988 still have it but needs batteries.

https://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tiger/Tiger-Copycat1.jpg

Written By: nally on 05/18/19 at 4:10 pm

Most of them, we designated for assignment. That is, we donated them. (Took them to a place like the Salvation Army or a Goodwill store.) Others, I might have given to other families/households (with children).

Some of them, I actually still have... but they are of course packed away in boxes. I just can't bring myself to part with them, especially if they have sentimental value.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/22/19 at 9:15 am

They were lost when we were moving from New Brunswick to Providence. Or stolen?

Written By: Howard on 05/22/19 at 3:03 pm

I still have my Gameboy, it hasn't worked in many years but someday I plan to put batteries in them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/19 at 3:08 pm

They were lost when we were moving from New Brunswick to Providence. Or stolen?
Politely putting, is that what your parents told you, or you know for sure?

Written By: violet_shy on 05/22/19 at 3:21 pm

Politely putting, is that what your parents told you, or you know for sure?

Well, my mom told me that. But I don't think she is sure. It's a mystery!

Check for new replies or respond here...