inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Linguistic profiling

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/26/19 at 9:40 pm

This thread might be a little politically incorrect, but it's something that I've always thought about for quite some time.

If you don't know what linguistic profiling is, it's basically just guessing someone's race or ethnicity based on the sound of their voice (or guessing a subgroup based on their speech). I know there are often stereotypes about how black and white people talk. Like black people talking slang and whites talking all proper. And I'm not saying this stereotype is true, but I do feel as if the voice of a white person is often easily distinguishable from that of a black person.

Take a look at this video and try to guess the sound of the people's voices. It's mainly black and white people with a couple other races.
ALsYzSZkeec

This video right here is an inthe00s podcast. You don't need to watch the whole thing obviously, but if you were to close your eyes and listen to the different voices, you would probably be able to tell who is white and who is black just by hearing them.
16chGa2G2YU

I hope I'm making a little bit of sense. I know there are other factors that play in as well. Like upbringing and how you grew up. And do keep in mind that this is American-centric. I don't know if it's similar in other countries.

Subject: Re: Linguistic profiling

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/19 at 11:30 am

When someone says "y'all" online I assume they are black or southern. I would sound stupid if I said it aloud in my accent ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 05/27/19 at 5:51 pm

When someone says "y'all" online I assume they are black or southern. I would sound stupid if I said it aloud in my accent ;D

And actually, people do say that in the south. Just not all the time.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/28/19 at 6:31 am

Yeah a lot of black people say that especially in the south.

Written By: aja675 on 05/30/19 at 6:54 am

I use it in writing because it's a convenient way of saying that it's more than one person you're referring to.

Written By: 2001 on 05/30/19 at 7:11 am

Wow Captain does sound super white

I use it in writing because it's a convenient way of saying that it's more than one person you're referring to.

Most people say "you guys" or just you.

Check for new replies or respond here...