inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hotel California Revisited.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/22/19 at 7:27 pm

I made a thread about this song years ago but the argument came up again yesterday at work.
This isn't necessarily about what the lyrics are but rather what you hear. The lyric in question is,
Mirrors on the ceiling, what do you hear next. The pink champagne on ice or Depict champagne
on ice

According to songfacts.com this is the lyric:
Mirrors on the ceiling
The pink champagne on ice
And she said, 'we are all just prisoners here, of our own device
And in the master's chambers
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives
But they just can't kill the beast

I hear depict and for arguments sake I say it makes more sense. One, they already stated they haven't had
that spirit here since 1969 but I think the more compelling argument has to do with grammar. Mirrors on the
ceiling is a dependent clause as is the pink champagne on ice but neither clause describes the other. Also the
definite article in the second clause is unnecessary, adding it makes it sound muddled. Now, if you replace the
pink with depict both clauses make sense because the the mirrors could be cut into the shape of champagne
bottles and glasses.

Again, this isn't really about what the correct lyric is but rather what you hear. I hear depict, and then I formulated
an argument as to why I hear it.

Subject: Re: Hotel California Revisited.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/22/19 at 7:57 pm

Although I always heard the literal "the pink champagne on ice", the fact that it could be heard/interpreted as "depict champagne on ice" is valid, considering another lyric in the song "she got the Mercedes bends". That is the official lyric as written and printed, but of course it is heard as "She got the Mercedes Benz". So the song invites this blurring of hearing and literal lyric. As if everything is reflected in mirrors.  And I wouldn't necessarily say that the mirrors on the ceiling would be cut into the shape of champagne bottles and glasses, but that they are reflecting the champagne bottles below the mirror.  And, of course, "mirrors on the ceiling" always seems to imply a sexual connotation.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/23/19 at 12:41 pm

I always heard it as "Pink champagne on ice."

I was just telling my SIL this story the other day. When my cousin got married out in L.A. several years ago (I didn't go), my brother was so excited because he was going to be staying at the Hotel California. He told me when he told our dad that, Dad just said, "So?" My brother said, "Different generation."

Cat

Subject: Hotel California Revisited.

Written By: Dude111 on 06/23/19 at 1:58 pm

Although I always heard the literal "the pink champagne on ice"......

Yes me as well..... How could 1 hear it as something different??????

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/23/19 at 2:08 pm

I always heard it as "Pink champagne on ice."

I was just telling my SIL this story the other day. When my cousin got married out in L.A. several years ago (I didn't go), my brother was so excited because he was going to be staying at the Hotel California. He told me when he told our dad that, Dad just said, "So?" My brother said, "Different generation."

Cat

There's a real Hotel California? There certainly wasn't when the song was written. Must have gone up since, for the tourists. In the song it was meant to be a metaphysical place. There are theories what it was based on. Likely the Chateau Marmont (where John Belushi later died, by the way), or possibly the Hyatt House on Sunset, a favorite haunt for rock stars of the era, and referred to as the "Riot House".

Written By: Howard on 06/23/19 at 2:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqSKl7sdUa8

I posted the song so you'd hear it again.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/23/19 at 2:31 pm

There's a real Hotel California? There certainly wasn't when the song was written. Must have gone up since, for the tourists. In the song it was meant to be a metaphysical place. There are theories what it was based on. Likely the Chateau Marmont (where John Belushi later died, by the way), or possibly the Hyatt House on Sunset, a favorite haunt for rock stars of the era, and referred to as the "Riot House".

http://pah.community/properties/hotel-california/

https://palmspringshotelcalifornia.com/

There are a few more.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 07/24/19 at 7:12 pm

I have another one...Painted Black...The Rolling Stones.

This is one of my favorite Stones songs. I've probably heard thousands of times over the years
and I hear the lyrics one specific way but songfacts.com and a youtube lyric video have something
completely different. The lyric in question:

songfacts/youtube:

I want to see your face painted black, black as night, black as coal
Don't want to see the sun, flying high in the sky
I want to see it painted, painted, painted, painted black, yea

What I hear:

I want to see it painted, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I want to see the sun blotted out from the sky
I want to see it painted, painted, painted, painted black, yea

Written By: annimal on 07/24/19 at 10:33 pm

I cant recall this song,  cannot understand why

Check for new replies or respond here...