inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: **October 2019 Monthly Thread**

Written By: nally on 10/01/19 at 12:04 am

I couldn't think of a good title this time around, so I just went with the basic wording.

Welcome to October 2019!!

What's everyone doing this month?

Subject: Re: **October 2019 Monthly Thread**

Written By: annimal on 10/01/19 at 10:58 am

noticing that you underlined the word this

Written By: Howard on 10/01/19 at 2:11 pm

Tomorrow is My Father's birthday.  :)

Written By: violet_shy on 10/01/19 at 4:16 pm

That's wonderful!

Written By: nally on 10/01/19 at 11:50 pm

Our pool is almost completed!!

Today was the day that the "floor" of it got finished, and this afternoon it got filled with water!!

However, we can't take a dip in it yet, because the water has to be suitable for swimming; that's gonna take a few more days.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/19 at 12:42 am

Belated wishes to your father!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/19 at 12:57 am

Our pool is almost completed!!

Today was the day that the "floor" of it got finished, and this afternoon it got filled with water!!

However, we can't take a dip in it yet, because the water has to be suitable for swimming; that's gonna take a few more days.
That is good news, quicker than I was expecting.

Does the pool water need the right chemical to be added, and let to stay for a while?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/19 at 1:27 am

I am gradually recovering, feeling better today, I saw my doctor yesterday, and I am on the correct medication now.

Written By: nally on 10/02/19 at 10:23 am

Does the pool water need the right chemical to be added, and let to stay for a while?

Yes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/19 at 11:44 am

Yes.
...and there will be a BBQ to honour the new pool?  :)

Written By: nally on 10/02/19 at 2:06 pm

...and there will be a BBQ to honour the new pool?  :)

Well, we do have plans to invite friends of ours to come over and see it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/19 at 2:13 pm

Well, we do have plans to invite friends of ours to come over and see it.
...just to see the pool?  ;D

I may have mentioned this before, do try and get a copy of the 1968 film "The Swimmer" which stars Burt Lancaster playing a fit and tanned middle-aged man in a bathing suit that visits his neighbours swimming pools.

The Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIegoQAayFs

Written By: Howard on 10/02/19 at 3:01 pm

Belated wishes to your father!

Thank You, we will have some cake later.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/02/19 at 3:02 pm

I am gradually recovering, feeling better today, I saw my doctor yesterday, and I am on the correct medication now.

wonderful news.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/19 at 3:23 pm

wonderful news.
Thank you, it was a combination of events and occurrences that lead to my condition, and now I have to be careful.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/02/19 at 8:02 pm

Happy you are feeling better, Philip. Are you still getting your flu vaccine for flu season?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/19 at 10:59 am

Happy you are feeling better, Philip. Are you still getting your flu vaccine for flu season?
thank you, I do feel better now, and a flu jab will be had as soon as possible.

Written By: nally on 10/04/19 at 4:25 pm

Good to know!

which reminds me, I still need to get mine as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/19 at 6:05 am

Good to know!

which reminds me, I still need to get mine as well.
I feel a bit rougher than yesterday, plan to rest more. Had to go for essential shopping which did not help my cause.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/19 at 7:23 am

I feel a bit rougher than yesterday, plan to rest more. Had to go for essential shopping which did not help my cause.
If I was much better today, I would now be sitting in a cinema now watching "Judy".

Written By: annimal on 10/05/19 at 1:26 pm

My computer cant update right and I dont understand why and think I'm through with computers

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/19 at 1:34 pm

My computer cant update right and I dont understand why and think I'm through with computers
Did it reconfigurate over night?

Written By: annimal on 10/05/19 at 6:27 pm

it said it was done FINALLY before I went to bed.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/05/19 at 10:15 pm

Everyone gets their flu shots in October. Which is the right thing to do.

Written By: nally on 10/05/19 at 10:42 pm

I actually did get mine in October on a number of occasions. Other times, it was November. But I will make an attempt to do so this month.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/19 at 1:57 am

I actually did get mine in October on a number of occasions. Other times, it was November. But I will make an attempt to do so this month.
My doctor is arranging the flu jab for me, right now I just have to be clear of my condition, the key of it all is I am getting the medical guidance on top of it. Flu jabs are available at pharmacists, but at the doctor's there is no charge.

Written By: nally on 10/07/19 at 10:07 am

And today we are going to get one more visit from the guy from the pool company, telling us how much longer we need to wait before we can go swimming. My guess: any day now.

Written By: nally on 10/07/19 at 11:19 pm

And today we are going to get one more visit from the guy from the pool company, telling us how much longer we need to wait before we can go swimming. My guess: any day now.

Great news: the guy said we could start using the pool this afternoon... and we decided to do so! :D

Written By: nally on 10/08/19 at 6:38 pm

Today I got some news at my work (both good and bad). The bad part is that one woman who had been working for the company for a long time was suddenly laid off last Friday, due to her position being made redundant (her title is being carried over to the parent company), so that was disappointing. The good part is that some of her duties, which she performed in the office, are being temporarily carried over to the rest of us... and it means that I will be getting more hours! So, starting this week, I will be working three days a week, instead of two, and learning how to do some new tasks. This is only a temporary situation; it will be like this until a new person can be hired as "administrative assistant."

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/19 at 12:18 am

Great news: the guy said we could start using the pool this afternoon... and we decided to do so! :D
Excellent!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/19 at 12:20 am

Today I got some news at my work (both good and bad). The bad part is that one woman who had been working for the company for a long time was suddenly laid off last Friday, due to her position being made redundant (her title is being carried over to the parent company), so that was disappointing. The good part is that some of her duties, which she performed in the office, are being temporarily carried over to the rest of us... and it means that I will be getting more hours! So, starting this week, I will be working three days a week, instead of two, and learning how to do some new tasks. This is only a temporary situation; it will be like this until a new person can be hired as "administrative assistant."
Double excellent!

More hours, more money, and more experience gained!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/19 at 12:21 am

Celebrate with a dip?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/19 at 6:33 am

Well done once again, and do you know which three days it will be, or is it too early to know yet?

Written By: nally on 10/09/19 at 5:40 pm

Well done once again, and do you know which three days it will be, or is it too early to know yet?

Oh, the new three-day schedule for me took effect today. I am now in on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, until further notice. My boss and I discussed this yesterday, and so I agreed to come in today.

Written By: nally on 10/11/19 at 6:16 pm

It's wildfire season again in southern California. :\'( :( :-[ :P

Last night, one sparked up in the northern San Fernando Valley, near the area where I lived as a kid...and the blaze forced mandatory evacuations in those areas. Thankfully I was not involved, but it did indirectly affect me because where I work, I could smell the smoke (but fortunately I was indoors the whole time); also, it affected my afternoon commute because the blaze shut down a certain highway, forcing motorists to use Highway 101 as a detour, and it crowded up.

Written By: exodus08 on 10/11/19 at 6:24 pm

It's wildfire season again in southern California. :\'( :( :-[ :P

Last night, one sparked up in the northern San Fernando Valley, near the area where I lived as a kid...and the blaze forced mandatory evacuations in those areas. Thankfully I was not involved, but it did indirectly affect me because where I work, I could smell the smoke (but fortunately I was indoors the whole time); also, it affected my afternoon commute because the blaze shut down a certain highway, forcing motorists to use Highway 101 as a detour, and it crowded up.

I'm from Simi Valley and I also have family in the Northridge area. Hope everyone's ok.

Written By: nally on 10/11/19 at 6:27 pm

I'm from Simi Valley and I also have family in the Northridge area. Hope everyone's ok.

I hope so too.

The east-west freeway that was shut down, btw, was CA Route 118, which I have traveled on hundreds (maybe thousands) of times; my two uncles live north of it in the Simi Valley area. I hope they're okay.

Written By: annimal on 10/11/19 at 7:02 pm

my parents were moving some things in the backyard and I had to clean and move my garden stuff.  dragonfly day    this is the is the second reason to keep the ground moist.  I finally found a little list of plants with rhizomes, put it doesn't mention the plumbago  I bought.

Written By: nally on 10/11/19 at 11:49 pm

A number of people I know on Facebook have marked themselves safe from the current So-Cal wildfires. O0

I am far enough away from them myself.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/19 at 5:06 am

A number of people I know on Facebook have marked themselves safe from the current So-Cal wildfires. O0

I am far enough away from them myself.
Good to hear you are safe.

Written By: annimal on 10/13/19 at 11:35 am

yesterday observed that there is no sun in my garden area until 10am and most of the garden area only gets 3 hours of sun now.  The very left edge still gets 6 or whatever

Written By: nally on 10/13/19 at 1:13 pm

Good to hear you are safe.

Thanks. Right now, I am checking on some headlines right now and there is more info on the "Saddleridge" Fire (in the northern San Fernando Valley). One indicates that the evacuees can start returning home, although the firefighters are still battling the blaze. The containment level stood at 41% last night.

Written By: annimal on 10/14/19 at 3:53 pm

the person I cook with had to reschedule our appointment.  I'm in a better mood today so that's cool. 

Written By: nally on 10/14/19 at 6:31 pm

Thanks. Right now, I am checking on some headlines right now and there is more info on the "Saddleridge" Fire (in the northern San Fernando Valley). One indicates that the evacuees can start returning home, although the firefighters are still battling the blaze. The containment level stood at 41% last night.

The containment must be a lot further along than this, because I didn't smell any smoke at all when I got to work this morning. (If I could smell it on Friday from outside my office, then it must've been pretty bad.)

Written By: nally on 10/17/19 at 3:14 pm

So we wanted to see about using our pool again this afternoon, but the guy who was supposed to come over and clean it yesterday never did so... therefore, we're waiting around to see if he'll show up today; still no sign of him. The reason he never showed up yesterday is that he had been backed up with other clients, especially those affected by the recent wildfires. So if he doesn't come today, maybe he will tomorrow.

Written By: annimal on 10/17/19 at 6:47 pm

I'm going out walking with my dad tonight

Written By: annimal on 10/18/19 at 10:49 pm

I'm having one of those days in which I think my brain is just not working at it's best.  Some things I could have done today that I didn't and the fact that I'm loosing every single one of the spider solitaire games i'm playing

Written By: nally on 10/19/19 at 10:41 am

Yesterday (Friday) was a busy day for me at the office; I seemed busier than ever, since I was learning another new task (which I think will be temporary, until our company hires a new person).

Written By: annimal on 10/19/19 at 2:01 pm

my eyes are just sore on me, I'll have to just sign off the computer and stay off it most of the day.  I oiled my ears and stuff so that should be good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/19 at 2:03 pm

my eyes are just sore on me, I'll have to just sign off the computer and stay off it most of the day.  I oiled my ears and stuff so that should be good.
I was the same this morning, but the computer was given me a headache.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/19/19 at 3:34 pm

My mom is finally out from the hospital. She is doing so much better! She has all this energy...I don't how she got it lol. I'm so thankful!

Written By: Howard on 10/19/19 at 3:43 pm

My mom is finally out from the hospital. She is doing so much better! She has all this energy...I don't how she got it lol. I'm so thankful!

that's wonderful news! O0

Written By: nally on 10/19/19 at 4:57 pm

That's great news!! I'm so happy for her. 8) :) O0

Written By: annimal on 10/19/19 at 8:12 pm

my eyes have been doing a lot of resting, I've been doing a lot of crying.  My dad is trying to explain what mom is saying in case I don't understand.  I do, then tells me I need to get over the past.  This is when I start crying instantly,  I have no control over myself and I think my dad sees this now that I have a mental problem if not more then one and need help.  I tried to write some things down on paper to tell him,but maybe now I can get some mental help.  Every time I have talked  to mom I'm attacking her or something 

Written By: annimal on 10/19/19 at 10:59 pm

I wasn't winning any spider solitaire games earlier, but now I one one of two.

Written By: nally on 10/20/19 at 12:04 am

I wasn't winning any spider solitaire games earlier, but now I one one of two.

Congratulations. O0 Way to go.

Yeah, that game can be tricky. Especially if you try to play it with more than one suit; I've never been able to win any such deal.

Written By: annimal on 10/20/19 at 12:08 am

I don't think I'll be doing 4 suits any time soon. just red and black is plenty good for me

Written By: annimal on 10/20/19 at 12:23 am

well,  seems my eye muscles have started to want to give me double vision again so good night

Written By: annimal on 10/21/19 at 9:33 pm

I've brought a plant home from the store and especially with a solder that has bursitis you'd expect it to act up.  it's my right lower leg, ankle that seems to be hurting me the most.  I dont know if some day I'll end up with a busted lower right leg, but I wouldn't mind being a peg leg pirate if I could.

Written By: nally on 10/21/19 at 11:07 pm

Well, I had a good day at work today. Having three days of work instead of two is definitely giving me more time to complete tasks, not just my usual duties but the new tasks I've learned (which are still kinda unfamiliar, but I'm making progress).

Written By: annimal on 10/23/19 at 10:50 am

I brought home that plant then noticed I needed some medicene the next day.  I was determened to get it myself and needed to ask mom a question so I did.  She once again said She doesn't want to deal with it.  I didn't ask her to do it for me.  How am I suppose to make progress If my mom cant even answer a question?

I'm cooking with the cooking lady today

Written By: annimal on 10/23/19 at 4:09 pm

ehe cooking called to come at 3 instead of 130.  Dad took me to the store to get my medicine.  Guess I'll plant my seeds tomorrow

Written By: annimal on 10/23/19 at 10:24 pm

planning on planting my other package of seeds tomorrow

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/24/19 at 7:04 am

I have a few wonderful days with my family, and spending the majority of the time being offline, except for movies on Netfilx.

Written By: nally on 10/24/19 at 4:47 pm

I have a few wonderful days with my family, and spending the majority of the time being offline, except for movies on Netfilx.

Hope you enjoyed the family time.

I have enjoyed a few afternoons in the pool this week with my family.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/25/19 at 4:45 am

Well, I had a good day at work today. Having three days of work instead of two is definitely giving me more time to complete tasks, not just my usual duties but the new tasks I've learned (which are still kinda unfamiliar, but I'm making progress).
...and today Friday, is the first Friday that is a part of of your now work routine, and not as an extra day as it was before.

Written By: annimal on 10/25/19 at 10:34 am

Last night my dream played a song in it.  I don't think it was modified for the dream.

I said hello girl ......  ........ And she said hi

Written By: karen on 10/25/19 at 11:18 am

Two weeks off school/work for us so we went down to my mother-in-laws for a few days.  We sorted out some of the garden and did one or two jobs round the house for her.  then we've been doing the same at home.  The wet weather has kept us in the house and Dai has been busy clearing out paperwork, books and DVDs etc.

Next week James and I are going to Cambridge to see Elizabeth one day and hoping for dry weather so we can help my dad with his garden.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/25/19 at 2:37 pm

Had a nice afternoon with Lee. We ate and talked, and are falling more in love with each other. More than before. Love is strange sometimes...but something has brought us closer. I just can't figure out what it is.

Written By: nally on 10/25/19 at 5:40 pm

Had my dental appointment today; I could conveniently go there from work. When the appointment was over I went back to the office and had lunch. All was well.

Written By: annimal on 10/25/19 at 5:50 pm

I have homework

Written By: Howard on 10/26/19 at 2:54 pm

Had a nice afternoon with Lee. We ate and talked, and are falling more in love with each other. More than before. Love is strange sometimes...but something has brought us closer. I just can't figure out what it is.

I thought you two broke up?

Written By: nally on 10/26/19 at 4:17 pm

I thought you two broke up?

They seem to be on and off again, from what I gather.

Written By: nally on 10/26/19 at 9:56 pm

...and I spent some time in the swimming pool this afternoon with my family.

Written By: annimal on 10/26/19 at 10:53 pm

The Monster Mash looks like me when I'm ready to trip.  I'm still trying to figure out how to do the Disco Duck

Written By: violet_shy on 10/27/19 at 2:21 pm

...and I spent some time in the swimming pool this afternoon with my family.

You must have good weather. It's raining here. No pool time for me  :\'(

Written By: nally on 10/27/19 at 2:23 pm

Yep, all last week it has been warmer than usual. The abnormal heat was caused by a Santa Ana Wind condition, but today the temperature has dropped considerably. Still, no chance for rain anytime soon.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/19 at 3:11 pm

It was raining here just a few hours ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/19 at 3:13 pm

Yep, all last week it has been warmer than usual. The abnormal heat was caused by a Santa Ana Wind condition, but today the temperature has dropped considerably. Still, no chance for rain anytime soon.
I just heard on the radio, there are wild fires again. I hope you are not close to them?

Written By: nally on 10/27/19 at 5:31 pm

I just heard on the radio, there are wild fires again. I hope you are not close to them?

There was one in Canyon Country, in the eastern part of the Santa Clarita area, dubbed the "Tick Fire"; it is far enough to the northeast of me so it does not affect me. However, I do know some people who live up there, including a childhood friend of mine; he recently marked himself "safe" on Facebook (although I'm pretty sure he had to evacuate).

Then of course, there are some in northern California. Clearly those won't affect southern Californians.

Written By: annimal on 10/27/19 at 11:13 pm

been working on something I started making in the past all day.

Found out that I cant hear the smoke detector.  Probably haven't been able to for awhile, but I told my parents that I don't want to go on a trip with them so some of these things are finally being thought of. 

Written By: nally on 10/28/19 at 6:24 pm

There was one in Canyon Country, in the eastern part of the Santa Clarita area, dubbed the "Tick Fire"; it is far enough to the northeast of me so it does not affect me. However, I do know some people who live up there, including a childhood friend of mine; he recently marked himself "safe" on Facebook (although I'm pretty sure he had to evacuate).

Then of course, there are some in northern California. Clearly those won't affect southern Californians.

And this morning another one sprouted up... near the Getty Museum area, hence the name "Getty Fire" for this one. :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/19 at 4:01 am

And this morning another one sprouted up... near the Getty Museum area, hence the name "Getty Fire" for this one. :o
Please take good care.

Written By: nally on 10/29/19 at 10:07 am

Please take good care.

News reports have stated that several homes have been lost, or at least damaged...but the Getty Museum remains intact. That's because the place has been built with fire-resistant material (which I also found out on the news last night).

Written By: violet_shy on 10/29/19 at 10:17 am

Stay safe!

Written By: nally on 10/29/19 at 10:18 am

Please take good care.

Stay safe!

Thank you both. Thankfully I am far enough away from it. And I don't have to go near the area at all.

Written By: annimal on 10/29/19 at 2:31 pm

a while ago John called and asked if we would like to meet and eat in Manteca.  That's cool to hear that he's in America again.

Written By: annimal on 10/29/19 at 6:44 pm

we had to pick him up at Ripon. He wanded mexican food so thats what we had.  He's back in America but is now going to be asked to drive to the other end of it.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/29/19 at 8:00 pm

a while ago John called and asked if we would like to meet and eat in Manteca.  That's cool to hear that he's in America again.

Oooo who's John? Someone you know/dating? More details, please!  :)

Written By: annimal on 10/29/19 at 10:45 pm

John is another brother of mine who let for Mexico to preach.  He then became a truck driver for his job.  We were wondering if he could stay and visit us for a while, but he is going to have to continue driving all over the place.

Written By: annimal on 10/30/19 at 1:11 pm

for some strange reason I got some toons in my head .  One goes  I want can  dy  and the other one goes  I want it all  and I want it now

Written By: nally on 10/31/19 at 9:06 am

Another wildfire sprouted up in Simi Valley yesterday morning: the 'Easy' Fire, which is somewhat close to me, but has not affected me.

Written By: annimal on 10/31/19 at 10:43 am

running exercise has been canceled for the night.  Im sure I'm going to be a candy passer outer for tonight but don't think I feel like being a joker.  Think Ill just be some sort of idiot

Written By: violet_shy on 10/31/19 at 3:04 pm

John is another brother of mine who let for Mexico to preach.  He then became a truck driver for his job.  We were wondering if he could stay and visit us for a while, but he is going to have to continue driving all over the place.

Oh, well it's nice that  you got to see him.  :)

Written By: annimal on 10/31/19 at 3:56 pm

yeah  and now I'm wondering if I;d like to start leaving comments on youtube or something.  It usually seems impossible to find good old band music.  the little deaf woman with recognition is the first name that came to mind, but perhaps a little more serious.

Written By: nally on 10/31/19 at 5:51 pm

Another wildfire sprouted up in Simi Valley yesterday morning: the 'Easy' Fire, which is somewhat close to me, but has not affected me.

Update: Progress has been made on this one; however, surrounding roadways in the area are still closed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/19 at 7:06 am

I saw footage of this on the news yesterday, fire and smoke the Ronald Reagan Archive and Library. It look saddening

Written By: annimal on 11/01/19 at 10:07 am

just a note to myself that the few times I have been real happy that I just end up doing things that can be real stupid and get me in trouble.  Nothing was probably a problem here, just if I could have planned a little more of a joke before submitting anything, but I have to be careful elsewhere.

Written By: nally on 11/01/19 at 10:34 am

I saw footage of this on the news yesterday, fire and smoke the Ronald Reagan Archive and Library. It look saddening

At least the place is still standing?

Anyway, I've gotta start the November thread now.

Written By: karen on 11/01/19 at 10:55 am

for some strange reason I got some toons in my head .  One goes  I want can  dy  and the other one goes  I want it all  and I want it now

That one is by Queen

Written By: karen on 11/01/19 at 10:58 am

Did you see the documentary last week about the California fire (Camp Fire?) from last year.  It was mainly about the town of Paradise and how poor communications lead to the town being too slow to start evacuating.

Written By: nally on 11/01/19 at 11:09 am

But last night a new blaze erupted, between Santa Paula and Somis, which is closer to me. I do know people who live nearby it, and hoping that they are safe.

Written By: annimal on 11/01/19 at 12:49 pm

That one is by Queen

the candy one?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/19 at 3:20 pm

Did you see the documentary last week about the California fire (Camp Fire?) from last year.  It was mainly about the town of Paradise and how poor communications lead to the town being too slow to start evacuating.
I missed that, when and where was it on?

Written By: nally on 11/01/19 at 11:35 pm

the candy one?

No. The one that Karen bolded in her reply to you. ("I want it all...")

Written By: annimal on 11/01/19 at 11:37 pm

oh okay

Check for new replies or respond here...