inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What were you afraid of as a kid?

Written By: violet_shy on 01/31/20 at 9:31 pm

I'm just curious. I was remembering some of my childhood fears...silly little things.

So what scared you as a kid? And do you still think about it today?

Subject: Re: What were you afraid of as a kid?

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/31/20 at 9:46 pm

Hardwood floors. I was deathly scared to set foot on them thinking I’d fall through. Up till like age six I’d have to have someone carry me. Thankfully I was tiny.

Most orchestral music. The music to mission impossible. The Sesame Street scene where the M is crumbling from a mountain.

The episode of Webster where he went behind the clock and climbed the ladder.

Flue covers on chimneys especially the decorative ones. Decorative metal plates on the gables of old houses. Old style furniture and architecture with the swoops. Boats and ships.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/31/20 at 9:53 pm

This is strange. But when I was a kid(5 or 6 years old) I was terrified to look inside my view master without the slides...lol, there was this dark object inside when I looked through it. It was always there, part of the mechanism I guess but I didn't know that.

Also, the first time I lost a tooth, this was when I was 5. I didn't want to lose anymore. Scared me!

Written By: nally on 02/01/20 at 10:00 pm

Going underwater in a swimming pool. Even as I got older that fear still stuck with me. In fact, I wanted to learn to swim so I could conquer that fear.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/20 at 12:22 pm

Japanese beetles. My sister used to get them to wave them in my face and I would scream.

Not too long ago, I was visiting said sister and we were talking to another sister on the phone. They were remarking how I used to be afraid of the beetles and how they used to tease me. I asked them if they knew WHY I was afraid of them. They didn't. I told them that one day I was at a friend's house who had a pool. I don't think their pool was cleaned out in a while because there were Japanese beetles all over the pool. I went under water and when I came up, there were a few in my hair and it totally freaked me out. That was when I became afraid of them. Of course today, I'm no longer afraid of them.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/02/20 at 3:22 pm

Roller-Coasters.

Written By: nally on 02/16/20 at 11:41 pm

Roller-Coasters.

I still kinda am. Especially the ones that go upside-down. I will NOT ride one of that nature.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/20 at 3:24 pm

I still kinda am. Especially the ones that go upside-down. I will NOT ride one of that nature.

I will not ride one at all.

Written By: nally on 02/17/20 at 4:59 pm

I will not ride one at all.

I have ridden rollercoasters that don't loop, mainly if they're not too fast or steep.

One time when I was 17, I went to Six Flags Magic Mountain with my classmates (it was a senior class event), one of them convinced me that one particular roller coaster there -- Colossus -- was one that I could handle; I decided to give it a try with them. I was a little scared at first, due to the first big drop, but then I remembered that it was shown at the beginning of the opening sequence of the sitcom Step By Step. I tried to have a good time on it during the rest of the course of the ride.

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/20 at 6:04 pm

I thought you took Physics courses in university ;D

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/17/20 at 9:38 pm

I won’t go on them. I’m not scared it’s just my body doesn’t like quick movements. Any rides. Riding with a fast driver. Water slides. Even the people mover train in Detroit made me feel iffy. Combine that with fear of heights and I think I’d rather die than get in an airplane.

Written By: nally on 02/17/20 at 9:44 pm

I thought you took Physics courses in university ;D

I did. That was 15 years ago. And I did learn why roller coasters stay on track when they loop. It has to do with the speed at which they travel.

Written By: nally on 02/17/20 at 9:45 pm

I won’t go on them. I’m not scared it’s just my body doesn’t like quick movements. Any rides. Riding with a fast driver. Water slides. Even the people mover train in Detroit made me feel iffy. Combine that with fear of heights and I think I’d rather die than get in an airplane.

I was afraid of heights as a child. I wouldn't even go on a ferris wheel until I was 9. (But the first time I went on one, I was amazed at the view.)

Written By: Howard on 02/18/20 at 8:02 am

I have ridden rollercoasters that don't loop, mainly if they're not too fast or steep.

One time when I was 17, I went to Six Flags Magic Mountain with my classmates (it was a senior class event), one of them convinced me that one particular roller coaster there -- Colossus -- was one that I could handle; I decided to give it a try with them. I was a little scared at first, due to the first big drop, but then I remembered that it was shown at the beginning of the opening sequence of the sitcom Step By Step. I tried to have a good time on it during the rest of the course of the ride.

Maybe I'll get on easy rides such as The Teacup.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/18/20 at 8:44 am

When I was a kid, oriental rugs use to give me the creeps. One time when I was 13 my family went to a carpet store. I hated that they hung their rugs for display. I wanted to run out if there lol. It was the patterns I think.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/20 at 8:48 am

When I was a kid, oriental rugs use to give me the creeps. One time when I was 13 my family went to a carpet store. I hated that they hung their rugs for display. I wanted to run out if there lol. It was the patterns I think.
Even those with animals, especially tigers, on them?

I never liked them too.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/18/20 at 8:56 am

Even those with animals, especially tigers, on them?

I never liked them too.

The zebra patterns were the worst! Too much and the rugs were so big it was overbearing. Scared me! Lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/20 at 9:10 am

The zebra patterns were the worst! Too much and the rugs were so big it was overbearing. Scared me! Lol.
For me, zebras are fine, they eat grass, tigers are carnivorous.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/18/20 at 9:19 am

For me, zebras are fine, they eat grass, tigers are carnivorous.

;D I thought we we discussing the rug patterns.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/20 at 9:30 am

;D I thought we we discussing the rug patterns.
...you know what I mean...?

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/18/20 at 9:42 am

I don’t know why, but I used to be afraid of Cheez Its ;D I thought that if I ate one they’d get in my hair.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/18/20 at 9:59 am

Intruders coming in my house, robbing our items, and killing me and my family.  :(

Written By: nally on 02/18/20 at 10:13 am

Maybe I'll get on easy rides such as The Teacup.

Disneyland has a "teacups" ride, which doesn't bother me at all.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/18/20 at 12:03 pm

Patterns can be scary when your mind sees certain things in them. My old light fixture at my dads looked like a lion and it was scary. It’s still there. A lot of those Rorschach’s test results were scary. And patterns on moth wings. Actually to this day when a big moth gets in the house at night and stars flying into stuff and banging around it scares me.

Horses scared me too. Especially their mouths.

And people who had really bony faces.

Oh there was this one time I was hunting with my dad (don’t do it anymore) but this fuzzy thing on a bush kept blowing in the breeze. I couldn’t quite place it at the time but I realized it reminded me of Henrietta pussycat from mister Rogers and it was freaking me out.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/18/20 at 12:36 pm

I can definitely see why a horse can be scary to a child. But when I was in my teens it was manta rays that scared me!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/20 at 12:46 pm

I can definitely see why a horse can be scary to a child. But when I was in my teens it was manta rays that scared me!
At a young age I was told by an uncle of mine that never walk to the rear of a horse for they can give a nasty injuring kick, so I have never ever approached or ridden a horse. The funny thing is that Philip (my real first name) means 'lover of horses'.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/18/20 at 12:56 pm

At a young age I was told by an uncle of mine that never walk to the rear of a horse for they can give a nasty injuring kick, so I have never ever approached or ridden a horse. The funny thing is that Philip (my real first name) means 'lover of horses'.

I didn't know horses did that. I've never ridden a horse...and I don't think I will anytime soon. It isn't scary to me, it's because the next farm is too far from here. Wish I could though.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/20 at 3:09 pm

That scared you?

Written By: Howard on 02/18/20 at 3:10 pm

I don’t know why, but I used to be afraid of Cheez Its ;D I thought that if I ate one they’d get in my hair.

LOL!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/18/20 at 3:12 pm

Intruders coming in my house, robbing our items, and killing me and my family.  :(

When I grew up, I always locked the door after I got into the house to keep ourselves away from intruders.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/20 at 3:19 pm

Is that Cheez as in the cheese spread?

Written By: violet_shy on 02/18/20 at 3:21 pm

That scared you?

YES. It did. Silly but true.

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/20 at 5:12 pm

A lot of stuff that scared me as a kid still scare me as an adult. Things like ketchup and spiders.

Edit: Oh I just remembered, I was scared of ladybugs for no reason.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/20 at 5:07 am

A lot of stuff that scared me as a kid still scare me as an adult. Things like ketchup and spiders.

Edit: Oh I just remembered, I was scared of ladybugs for no reason.

Could ketchup remind you of real blood, maybe that's why it scared you as a kid?

Written By: 2001 on 02/19/20 at 5:46 am

Could ketchup remind you of real blood, maybe that's why it scared you as a kid?

No, it's because it's gross. Smells bad, looks bad, tastes bad etc. :P

If someone asks me to pass the ketchup, I get queasy. Sometimes I take a tissue paper and hold the ketchup bottle with that before handing it to someone, or I might push it over with my elbow.  :-[

Written By: Sman12 on 02/19/20 at 5:56 pm

When I grew up, I always locked the door after I got into the house to keep ourselves away from intruders.

My dad usually checks the front and back doors as well. We live in a low-crime neighborhood, so we don't have a security system, but I'm still concerned.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/19/20 at 7:19 pm

If someone asks me to pass the ketchup, I get queasy. Sometimes I take a tissue paper and hold the ketchup bottle with that before handing it to someone, or I might push it over with my elbow.  :-[

It doesn’t scare me but I agree totally. But I think Ranch is worse. To me it smells like old school house paint. Like how strong it was before today’s low voc stuff. Though that’s no picnic either.  I don’t even like being in the same room with ranch but I deal because most people like it. But someone eating ranch chips in a car... I’m like nope.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/19/20 at 10:52 pm

But how could it? It doesn't look like blood. Unless you thin it out with corn syrup..

Written By: Howard on 02/20/20 at 7:59 am

C'mon Slow, you such a wuss, get over your fear!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/20/20 at 8:00 am

My dad usually checks the front and back doors as well. We live in a low-crime neighborhood, so we don't have a security system, but I'm still concerned.

We live in a pretty peaceful neighborhood for the past 40+ years.

Written By: Ripley on 03/05/20 at 6:15 pm

Spiders, it’s always been spiders. My whole lie it’s been spiders!

Written By: 2001 on 03/05/20 at 10:43 pm

Spiders, it’s always been spiders. My whole lie it’s been spiders!

I'm saving that for the "What are you afraid of as an adult?" thread.

Written By: nally on 03/06/20 at 12:19 am

I didn't know horses did that. I've never ridden a horse...and I don't think I will anytime soon. It isn't scary to me, it's because the next farm is too far from here. Wish I could though.

I did ride a horse for the first time at age 11. This was at a summer camp. But I couldn't just get on the horse; each kid had to be helped on (and off) by the person in charge.

Check for new replies or respond here...