inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: August 2020 monthly thread

Written By: nally on 08/01/20 at 12:50 am

Yes, folks, another new month is starting.

White rabbits! :) :D

Subject: Re: August 2020 monthly thread

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 11:54 am

Happy new month!

White Rabbit

Written By: karen on 08/01/20 at 2:32 pm

Had my hair cut this afternoon

Written By: nally on 08/01/20 at 10:57 pm

Did some more work in our backyard today. (Over the past week we had new plants put in.) And today we assembled an arbor bench we've been meaning to put together for years. Then we spent time in our pool.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/20 at 8:15 am

Tomorrow are My Parent's 51st anniversary.  :)

Written By: nally on 08/02/20 at 11:56 am

Happy early anniversary to them.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/20 at 2:04 pm

Happy early anniversary to them.

Thank You.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/20 at 5:53 am

Happy anniversary to your parents.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/20 at 6:10 am

After a weekend of negotiations with the family the refitting of my home may take longer than expected, but I can still reside here but jumping from room to room.

Written By: Howard on 08/03/20 at 8:02 am

Happy anniversary to your parents.

Thank You.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/20 at 8:04 am

Thank You.
O0

Written By: nally on 08/03/20 at 5:03 pm

Thank You.

I hope they are having a nice day today.

Speaking of anniversaries, a childhood friend of mine and his wife are celebrating their 18th anniversary today. :)

Written By: Sman12 on 08/05/20 at 10:18 am

Update: I'm on my 2,000 comment milestone!  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/20 at 10:19 am

O0

I have lost count on my milestones.

Written By: karen on 08/05/20 at 1:13 pm

Congrats. Does that mean you move up a penguin level?

Edited to add:

No, apparently you need another 3000 posts!

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=post;quote=1543915;topic=31031.0;last_msg=2860666

Written By: Howard on 08/05/20 at 2:55 pm

Congratulations. :)

Written By: Sman12 on 08/05/20 at 5:40 pm

Congrats. Does that mean you move up a penguin level?

Edited to add:

No, apparently you need another 3000 posts!

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=post;quote=1543915;topic=31031.0;last_msg=2860666

Damn it.  >:(  ;D

Written By: nally on 08/05/20 at 7:14 pm

Damn it.  >:(  ;D

I used to keep track of my milestone posts all the time when I was at that level.

Written By: nally on 08/05/20 at 7:30 pm

Anyways... Until further notice, I will be accessing this site from my Tablet only.

Why? Because my laptop, which I've had for 3 1/2 years, seems to have crashed itself. :\'(

This morning it started up normally, and I logged into my work from home without any problems, and I got my work done during the morning hours...and at lunchtime I left it on, hoping it would go into sleep mode... but when I came back to it, it had gone back into bluescreen error mode! >:( :\'( So then I called my boss on the phone to inform her of my situation, saying there's a chance I might not get back on today. Meanwhile, at home, my mom tried to help me get back on track with my PC... but the darned thing failed to get past "Repair" mode. So then my parents offered me their PC on which to do my work. That worked out successfully. However, I lost an hour of work time because of this agony. But when I got back into my work from my parents' laptop, I messaged my boss, telling her this, and she let me work an hour past my usual end time, to make up for the time I struggled with my own PC.

I am gonna have to drive to my office this Friday, when I return to work. Meanwhile, my mom and I researched new computers on Amazon Prime and found one that could replace my corrupted one. However, it won't arrive til sometime on Tuesday. So I'll likely need to use their PC on Monday to work from home.

Written By: karen on 08/06/20 at 2:19 am

Isn’t there a pc repair place you could take it to? We have one in town that is very good.

Written By: nally on 08/06/20 at 8:49 am

Isn’t there a pc repair place you could take it to? We have one in town that is very good.

Not locally. :-\\

We'll keep searching to see if we can find one that's not too far away.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/06/20 at 3:24 pm

Not a computer problem but a keyboard problem. I was going about my business and helping my sister on a project she is working on. I was TRYING to write some notes for her and things started messing up. Whenever I tried to type a number, it would type several letters. a "b" would come out "vb" or a "n" would come out "mn." I don't know what key I hit but the computer shut down on me.  What I THINK happened was this morning, I spilled a bit of tea. It was working fine but then I noticed a bit wasn't cleaned up, I tried to get it better and I THINK I hit something and it hasn't been the same since. I restarted. Nope. I unplugged the keyboard. Nope. Nothing seemed to work. OY VEY! So, I got one of my old keyboards. So far, so good. I just need to get used to using this one.

So, now back to helping my sister.

Cat

Written By: nally on 08/06/20 at 10:59 pm

I received a notification earlier today stating that my new computer has been shipped via Amazon Prime, and it is scheduled to arrive at my house on Tuesday.

Written By: nally on 08/10/20 at 9:56 pm

I received a notification earlier today stating that my new computer has been shipped via Amazon Prime, and it is scheduled to arrive at my house on Tuesday.

Surprise, it actually arrived at my house this afternoon! However, it was during my work hours. So after I got done with my work (from home) today, my parents helped me set it up. Hopefully it'll work out well for me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/11/20 at 1:09 am

All is fine, the workmen are busy working, and some days the wi-fi has to be switched off.

Written By: karen on 08/11/20 at 12:06 pm

Back in July I found a small lump in my breast. I went to hospital where they did a mammogram and an ultrasound. They took some cells from the lump and these showed precancerous changes. I then needed an MRI which showed another suspicious area. I had a further ultrasound and biopsy. I had spoken to a surgeon who discussed the possibility of what they call a lumpectomy, basically just removing part of the breast tissue.

I spoke to my surgeon yesterday morning. They found further pre-cancerous cells in the second biopsy that are in a more central region in the breast. As a result he feels that I need a mastectomy to be sure to remove all the cells. This operation is booked for 25th August.

I went in for a pre-op check up yesterday afternoon as I need to self isolate for two weeks before surgery. They checked my blood pressure, general health and I had an ECG.

I should only be in hospital overnight but will also need to isolate for two weeks afterwards. There still might be some follow up treatment as they will also remove some lymph nodes and examine these, but more on that when I know what is happening.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/11/20 at 12:41 pm

I've been looking for apartments. In the process of moving. I would like to move out west, but it isn't possible right now. That means I will still be living in Providence. Anyway, searching for the right apartment is always difficult. I'm sure I will find something though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/11/20 at 1:23 pm

Back in July I found a small lump in my breast. I went to hospital where they did a mammogram and an ultrasound. They took some cells from the lump and these showed precancerous changes. I then needed an MRI which showed another suspicious area. I had a further ultrasound and biopsy. I had spoken to a surgeon who discussed the possibility of what they call a lumpectomy, basically just removing part of the breast tissue.

I spoke to my surgeon yesterday morning. They found further pre-cancerous cells in the second biopsy that are in a more central region in the breast. As a result he feels that I need a mastectomy to be sure to remove all the cells. This operation is booked for 25th August.

I went in for a pre-op check up yesterday afternoon as I need to self isolate for two weeks before surgery. They checked my blood pressure, general health and I had an ECG.

I should only be in hospital overnight but will also need to isolate for two weeks afterwards. There still might be some follow up treatment as they will also remove some lymph nodes and examine these, but more on that when I know what is happening.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))

I am so sorry. My SIL had two bouts of breast cancer-one on each breast. The first one was last year and the second time this year. They just did the lumpectomy and then radiation for both of them. She said if there is another one-she is going to have them removed.

Both Carlos & I are sending good wishes your way.

Please keep us informed.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/11/20 at 1:34 pm

Sorry to hear this, please take good care and get well from it soon.

Written By: Howard on 08/11/20 at 2:28 pm

I've been looking for apartments. In the process of moving. I would like to move out west, but it isn't possible right now. That means I will still be living in Providence. Anyway, searching for the right apartment is always difficult. I'm sure I will find something though.

What kind of apartment are you searching for?

Written By: nally on 08/11/20 at 2:44 pm

Good luck with that! :) I wish you could move out west too.

Written By: nally on 08/11/20 at 5:47 pm

Anyway, I just got done installing apps on my new PC, but I had to make a payment for Office365, even though it seemed to be pre-installed. :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/20 at 6:51 am

Anyway, I just got done installing apps on my new PC, but I had to make a payment for Office365, even though it seemed to be pre-installed. :o
Already paid, see how far you can get with installing it?

Written By: nally on 08/12/20 at 4:57 pm

Already paid, see how far you can get with installing it?

I apparently have to pay an annual fee for it. >:(

Written By: karen on 08/13/20 at 5:16 am

(((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))

I am so sorry. My SIL had two bouts of breast cancer-one on each breast. The first one was last year and the second time this year. They just did the lumpectomy and then radiation for both of them. She said if there is another one-she is going to have them removed.

Both Carlos & I are sending good wishes your way.

Please keep us informed.

Cat

Sorry to hear this, please take good care and get well from it soon.

Thanks. No more news for another couple of weeks.

Written By: karen on 08/13/20 at 5:18 am

In other news James got his A Level results today. He was awarded A* in Latin and Greek and A in Spanish and Maths. This meets the requirements for his university place, so he is off to Cambridge in October to study Classics and Linguistics

Written By: nally on 08/13/20 at 12:54 pm

In other news James got his A Level results today. He was awarded A* in Latin and Greek and A in Spanish and Maths. This meets the requirements for his university place, so he is off to Cambridge in October to study Classics and Linguistics

Congrats to him! O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/20 at 6:15 am

Just to report, I will be offline for the next few days, due to the refitting.

Written By: nally on 08/17/20 at 8:13 pm

Needed to spend a good part of my working day at the actual office, due to transmission problems while working from home. I ran a "speed test" with my internet provider and it gave a low result. So while I drove to the office, my mom tried calling Spectrum, but had to wait an awfully long time to get a response from them. So, hopefully things'll be better come Wednesday.

Written By: nally on 08/19/20 at 11:44 pm

Again, I had a itty bitty problem this morning while working from home, similar to the problem I had on Monday. So I ran another "speed test" and got low results. But I was able to go back to the remote connection soon enough and do my work successfully. Best of all, I did NOT need to drive to the office.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/20 at 2:51 am

Just to report, I will be offline for the next few days, due to the refitting.
Back online for one day, with the availability of the computer.

All is fine, and my home is gradually taking shape.

Written By: nally on 08/20/20 at 11:21 am

Back online for one day, with the availability of the computer.

All is fine, and my home is gradually taking shape.

Good to know! O0

Written By: nally on 08/21/20 at 6:06 pm

Done with work from home for the week. Now I get to relax for another weekend... but I don't know if we're gonna get to enjoy our pool, since the air quality is kinda icky due to wildfire smoke that can be detected nearby. :P Let's hope that it can get cleared up.

Written By: karen on 08/22/20 at 2:20 am

Done with work from home for the week. Now I get to relax for another weekend... but I don't know if we're gonna get to enjoy our pool, since the air quality is kinda icky due to wildfire smoke that can be detected nearby. :P Let's hope that it can get cleared up.

How many separate fires are there in California? Jess and Rice have one in the mountains near them and are having problems with the air quality.

Written By: karen on 08/22/20 at 2:24 am

I have not done anything of note recently as I have been isolating at home before my operation next week. My dad has been in hospital again for a few days with kidney problems but is home now. My eldest brother and his wife have been looking after him.

We would usually go out for a meal for my birthday so this year Elizabeth and James are making afternoon tea for us all. There will be dainty sandwiches, cheese scones, chocolate eclairs, small decorated cupcakes and lemon meringue cookies, all served with a choice of teas, coffee or Prosecco

Written By: goodbants on 08/22/20 at 3:29 am

I have not done anything of note recently as I have been isolating at home before my operation next week. My dad has been in hospital again for a few days with kidney problems but is home now. My eldest brother and his wife have been looking after him.

We would usually go out for a meal for my birthday so this year Elizabeth and James are making afternoon tea for us all. There will be dainty sandwiches, cheese scones, chocolate eclairs, small decorated cupcakes and lemon meringue cookies, all served with a choice of teas, coffee or Prosecco

Best of luck to you and your dad!

Written By: nally on 08/22/20 at 11:50 am

How many separate fires are there in California? Jess and Rice have one in the mountains near them and are having problems with the air quality.

At least two or three; but then again the state is large in size. I count maybe two of them in the southern portion of the state; I'll have to look.

Written By: nally on 08/23/20 at 12:01 am

Well, we got the chance to enjoy our pool between 5:30 and 6 this evening anyways. That's because the air quality improved (it had been unhealthful, now it's moderate). O0

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/20 at 2:04 pm

For weeks now, I have been telling Carlos that we really need to change the batteries in the smoke detectors. I told him that I didn't want to be woken up about 2 in the morning by the chirping. (In case you don't know this, it is a law that they HAVE to start chirping about 2 in the morning.) Of course it has been put off.

Last night (or should I say this morning), about 3:30, the detectors started going OFF!  :o :o :o  Talk about a rude awakening. I was out of bed and had my hand on my robe by the time they shut off (maybe about 30 seconds or so). My heart was pounding and I was shaking like a leaf. Carlos made a moan, "Yeah, we have to change those batteries". I told him that they chirp when the battery is low. He was like, "Yeah, you're right."

This isn't the first time they had gone off in the middle of the night. My guess it was because of humidity levels. We opened a window hoping that would help it. But it took me more than 2 hours to fall back asleep. Hopefully, sometime today we can FINALLY change those batteries.

Cat

Written By: nally on 08/25/20 at 3:40 pm

For weeks now, I have been telling Carlos that we really need to change the batteries in the smoke detectors. I told him that I didn't want to be woken up about 2 in the morning by the chirping. (In case you don't know this, it is a law that they HAVE to start chirping about 2 in the morning.) Of course it has been put off.

No, I didn't know. Does that mean you have to stay up that late or else be rudely awakened?

Last night (or should I say this morning), about 3:30, the detectors started going OFF!  :o :o :o  Talk about a rude awakening. I was out of bed and had my hand on my robe by the time they shut off (maybe about 30 seconds or so). My heart was pounding and I was shaking like a leaf. Carlos made a moan, "Yeah, we have to change those batteries". I told him that they chirp when the battery is low. He was like, "Yeah, you're right."

This isn't the first time they had gone off in the middle of the night. My guess it was because of humidity levels. We opened a window hoping that would help it. But it took me more than 2 hours to fall back asleep. Hopefully, sometime today we can FINALLY change those batteries.

Cat

I hope you can change them too.

In our house, we have a smoke detector in each bedroom. And whenever they chirp, I know it's time to replace their batteries. But I can be anywhere in the house and hear a chirp, and it'll take me a while to pinpoint exactly which one it is. That's why, in recent years, I started keeping track of when we last changed each of the batteries; I write down the date that each one was changed in each room. Then I can determine/anticipate which one will need to be changed next, and approximately when it'll be (usually 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years).

Written By: nally on 08/25/20 at 3:46 pm

Anyway, I have a delivery coming tomorrow: a new bed. My parents had ordered a brand new one for me a while back, and it has taken several months for that order to finally come through, because the people delivering the bed need to make all the arrangements with us. They have to bring the new bed over (wearing gloves and face masks of course), take the old bed out, and give us a chance to examine the new bed before they leave, so that if it's at all defective, we can tell them about it and we won't be stuck with a defective product. My old bed, while it has been comfy for me, is several years old. The new bed is made by the Princess cruise line, and has been available for ordering since last year (don't believe me? Info is available at the Princess web site; plus, my parents got one last year for themselves).

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/20 at 6:04 am

Back online, with phone and tablet only. All is fine, and the refitting is taking ages.

Written By: nally on 08/26/20 at 10:22 am

Back online, with phone and tablet only. All is fine, and the refitting is taking ages.

Good to know. Thanks for keeping us posted! O0

Written By: karen on 08/27/20 at 10:20 am

I came home from hospital yesterday. Trying to find the right balance between rest and recovery and keeping my muscles moving so they don’t stiffen up.

I have been signed off from work for a couple of weeks for now, but I think it might be for longer than that.

Written By: nally on 08/27/20 at 11:36 am

I came home from hospital yesterday. Trying to find the right balance between rest and recovery and keeping my muscles moving so they don’t stiffen up.

I have been signed off from work for a couple of weeks for now, but I think it might be for longer than that.

Wishing you all the best.

Written By: nally on 08/27/20 at 11:38 am

Anyway, I have a delivery coming tomorrow: a new bed. My parents had ordered a brand new one for me a while back, and it has taken several months for that order to finally come through, because the people delivering the bed need to make all the arrangements with us. They have to bring the new bed over (wearing gloves and face masks of course), take the old bed out, and give us a chance to examine the new bed before they leave, so that if it's at all defective, we can tell them about it and we won't be stuck with a defective product. My old bed, while it has been comfy for me, is several years old. The new bed is made by the Princess cruise line, and has been available for ordering since last year (don't believe me? Info is available at the Princess web site; plus, my parents got one last year for themselves).

My bed was delivered yesterday afternoon. So I had the chance to sleep on it for the first time last night. It was very comfy! It reminded me of how well I slept on the ship. (Speaking of which, I will not be taking any cruises anytime in the foreseeable future, because the cruise line has cancelled all of its cruises for this year due to Covid, and most cruises in next year will also likely be cancelled/suspended until further notice. Currently we have a tentative booking for early 2022.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/20 at 6:20 am

Please take good care and I wish you well.

Written By: goodbants on 08/28/20 at 9:58 am

My sister has COVID  :-[ she seems to be doing ok and she’s only 19 so I’m not too worried. Her and her other 3 roommates all have it. I’ve heard stories where it gets worse as time goes on so hopefully that isn’t the case with her.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/20 at 10:00 am

My sister has COVID  :-[ she seems to be doing ok and she’s only 19 so I’m not too worried. Her and her other 3 roommates all have it. I’ve heard stories where it gets worse as time goes on so hopefully that isn’t the case with her.
I wish your sister (and her roommates) well.

Written By: Howard on 08/28/20 at 1:40 pm

Hope your sister gets well.

Written By: nally on 08/29/20 at 2:20 pm

so sorry to hear of this. I hope they all get treated for it, and that they come out ok. Wishing them all the best!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/20 at 3:16 pm

I am so sorry. I wish your sister and her roommates a speedy recovery.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/29/20 at 4:33 pm

Sorry to hear this.  :(  Best wishes for a speedy recovery to your sister.

Written By: karen on 08/30/20 at 4:29 am

Hope you sister and her roommates recover quickly.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/20 at 2:09 pm

The other day I pulled a muscle in my back. How I did that I haven't a clue. I only know that all of a sudden, I had a pain in my back. It got really bad and I would move a certain way and have a shooting pain on a scale of 1-10 was a 12! I have what I refer to as a "buzzsaw" which looks like this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS7Pc8i0QRycufsspve0R8VOBffpOiJ4_j2Lg&usqp=CAU

I used it before going to bed. The next day it felt better. I used the "buzzsaw" again before going to bed and it felt even better the following day...UNTIL I moved a certain way and that started the shooting pains all over again. Now I feel like I am back to square one. I am trying not to move in a way that would cause the shooting pain but I really don't know what that is. I figure if I don't move at all for about 3 days or so, I should be fine.

Man, I miss my massage therapist.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/20 at 2:15 pm

The other day I pulled a muscle in my back. How I did that I haven't a clue. I only know that all of a sudden, I had a pain in my back. It got really bad and I would move a certain way and have a shooting pain on a scale of 1-10 was a 12! I have what I refer to as a "buzzsaw" which looks like this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS7Pc8i0QRycufsspve0R8VOBffpOiJ4_j2Lg&usqp=CAU

I used it before going to bed. The next day it felt better. I used the "buzzsaw" again before going to bed and it felt even better the following day...UNTIL I moved a certain way and that started the shooting pains all over again. Now I feel like I am back to square one. I am trying not to move in a way that would cause the shooting pain but I really don't know what that is. I figure if I don't move at all for about 3 days or so, I should be fine.

Man, I miss my massage therapist.

Cat
Was the shooting pain down a leg called Sciatica?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/20 at 3:35 pm

Was the shooting pain down a leg called Sciatica?

No. I have had sciatica pain before this is not that. It was from the pulled muscle which is about in the middle of my back on my left side.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/20 at 3:43 pm

No. I have had sciatica pain before this is not that. It was from the pulled muscle which is about in the middle of my back on my left side.

Cat
Still very much ouch, I had sciatica when my back first went, and my rating was 12 out of 10 too. I hope you are feeling better now?

Written By: nally on 08/31/20 at 12:14 am

Cat

Sorry to hear you are in pain. Hope it goes away soon!

Written By: nally on 08/31/20 at 12:16 am

So tomorrow (Monday) is the last day of the month already; man this month has flown by!

I will need to actually go to my office (and bring my mask and other important things) and get everything done. Shouldn't be too hot; at least, not as hot as it was the last time I drove there (two weeks ago).

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/20 at 7:21 am

So tomorrow (Monday) is the last day of the month already; man this month has flown by!

I will need to actually go to my office (and bring my mask and other important things) and get everything done. Shouldn't be too hot; at least, not as hot as it was the last time I drove there (two weeks ago).
Take good care on your drive to work.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/31/20 at 1:37 pm

Back isn't 100% better today but I would say about 50% better. I am still getting the shooting pains if I move a certain way but that is happening less frequent and doesn't last as long. I'm hoping that I will be back to normal tomorrow.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/31/20 at 2:35 pm

Back isn't 100% better today but I would say about 50% better. I am still getting the shooting pains if I move a certain way but that is happening less frequent and doesn't last as long. I'm hoping that I will be back to normal tomorrow.

Cat

Hope you feel better Cat.

Written By: nally on 08/31/20 at 6:15 pm

Take good care on your drive to work.

Thanks, it was a very busy day. I had to work 15 extra minutes just to get everything done.

Written By: nally on 08/31/20 at 6:16 pm

Cat

Thanks for the update. Wishing you the best. O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/20 at 10:57 am

Bye Bye August!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...