inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do these people write articles about something they so obviously hate?

Written By: Dude111 on 08/29/20 at 3:09 pm

It doesnt make sense to me,how about you??

www.smh.com.au/culture/music/it-s-time-we-pressed-pause-on-the-cassette-tape-craze-20200821-p55nzv.html

The article made me laugh really.......

Subject: Re: Why do these people write articles about something they so obviously hate?

Written By: fusefan on 10/01/20 at 10:04 pm

I could give a rip what some random dude thinks. I’m gonna collect em. The only random dude that matters is fellow vintage audio collector Dude111!

I think I found a picture of the writer...
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/822/899/129.png

Subject: Re: Why do these people write articles about something they so obviously hate?

Written By: violet_shy on 10/01/20 at 10:19 pm

I still have my cassettes from the late 80s to the 90s. I will never part with them I don't care what century this is. I'm old school so. Cassettes were my format of choice back in the day. The author doesn't appreciate them because he's probably use to mp3s or streaming music.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/01/20 at 10:30 pm

I still have my cassettes from the late 80s to the 90s. I will never part with them I don't care what century this is. I'm old school so. Cassettes were my format of choice back in the day. The author doesn't appreciate them because he's probably use to mp3s or streaming music.

Same here I still have my 800 or so tapes I collected up until maybe 5 years ago. No they’re not the greatest format but at the time they were the best portable format compared to finicky CD players, and were much cheaper. Also I have stuff that probably never made it to CD.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/20 at 8:15 am

I still have mine and they're so old, I forget what's on them. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/02/20 at 9:42 am

I still have quite a few cassettes. Many are rare items. I never understood why people IMMEDIATELY, and I mean IMMEDIATELY, dump all old technology of this sort the SECOND, and I mean the SECOND, something new comes along. I was there in the 80s when absolutely EVERYBODY dumped their albums because CDs were the newest thing. Now, to a person, each one of those people is sorry and wishes they had those albums back. CDs are now basically obsolete and those got dumped even faster than albums. You can get them for under a dollar at thrift shops, and even there they are rapidly vanishing. So just think, if I had taken all the time and effort to digitize my cassettes to CDs when CDs were still a thing I'd be stuck with two kinds of old technology! So it wasn't worth the bother. I just keep the cassettes and keep my CDs. And, of course, I still have my vinyl I've been accumulating since the 1960s. Technology becoming outdated is the collector's dilemma! What to do, what to do?

Written By: fusefan on 10/02/20 at 10:58 am

I still have quite a few cassettes. Many are rare items. I never understood why people IMMEDIATELY, and I mean IMMEDIATELY, dump all old technology of this sort the SECOND, and I mean the SECOND, something new comes along. I was there in the 80s when absolutely EVERYBODY dumped their albums because CDs were the newest thing. Now, to a person, each one of those people is sorry and wishes they had those albums back. CDs are now basically obsolete and those got dumped even faster than albums. You can get them for under a dollar at thrift shops, and even there they are rapidly vanishing. So just think, if I had taken all the time and effort to digitize my cassettes to CDs when CDs were still a thing I'd be stuck with two kinds of old technology! So it wasn't worth the bother. I just keep the cassettes and keep my CDs. And, of course, I still have my vinyl I've been accumulating since the 1960s. Technology becoming outdated is the collector's dilemma! What to do, what to do?

I have cassettes and reel to reels with people’s voices form the 1960s and 70s on them! I have a WIRE recording with voices from the 1940s on it!  :o

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/02/20 at 11:09 am

I always keep the original. Every time you transfer to another format there is a loss of something.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/02/20 at 11:13 am

I have cassettes and reel to reels with people’s voices form the 1960s and 70s on them! I have a WIRE recording with voices from the 1940s on it!  :o

That is valuable stuff! I had a fantastic cassette that my friend found on the ground in the early 1980s of a man with an English accent giving a 90 minute tarot card reading to a young man who identified himself as 19 years old on the tape. I loved listening to that tape because the guy doing the reading was so eloquent and so entertaining to listen to, even though I had no idea who any of these people were. Eventually the tape broke (it was a cheap cassette). I brought it to someone I worked with who said she knew how to fix those things, but the next day a bunch of people got unexpectedly laid off and I never saw that co-worker (or my tape) again.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/20 at 2:04 pm

Do you know what's on your cassettes?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/02/20 at 2:09 pm

Do you know what's on your cassettes?

Absolutely. They are impeccably labeled.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/20 at 2:14 pm

Absolutely. They are impeccably labeled.

mine are in a closet, probably dusty by now. ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 10/03/20 at 4:26 pm

mine are in a closet, probably dusty by now. ;D

I keep mine in neat boxes. They are a bit dusty but I always keep them in order and neat condition. I love my cassettes.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/03/20 at 4:34 pm

Mine are on racks and in cases in the basement. But it’s dry and temperate down there.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/20 at 2:02 pm

I keep mine in neat boxes. They are a bit dusty but I always keep them in order and neat condition. I love my cassettes.

I remember when our radio and cassette player was working and I'd tape music stations from the radio and I'd record the music and save the tapes afterwards, I have a box full, it's been maybe 20 years since I taped from the radio.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/20 at 2:04 pm

Mine are on racks and in cases in the basement. But it’s dry and temperate down there.

My Father used to collect music himself, he probably doesn't even know what's on them by now.

Check for new replies or respond here...