inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: October 2020 monthly thread

Written By: nally on 10/01/20 at 10:53 am

We're already several hours into the day, and there was no thread here yet.

Well, you know the drill... White rabbits!

Subject: Re: October 2020 monthly thread

Written By: Howard on 10/01/20 at 3:32 pm

In just 3 weeks I will be celebrating 10 years of working in that neighborhood doing carts.  :)

Written By: karen on 10/01/20 at 4:12 pm

Dai and I took James to university today. He has a nice room in a modern block in his college. Lectures start next week, they will be mostly on line. He will have some small group face to face teaching.

James is at the same university as Elizabeth so we all met up for dinner.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/01/20 at 4:39 pm

Going to spend all month recovering from stomach surgery. Will probably go back to work in a couple weeks but we are slow there, hour cuts and layoffs. Hopefully my doctor approves me to stay home longer.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/20 at 4:57 pm

Dai and I took James to university today. He has a nice room in a modern block in his college. Lectures start next week, they will be mostly on line. He will have some small group face to face teaching.

James is at the same university as Elizabeth so we all met up for dinner.

Cambridge?

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 10/01/20 at 5:05 pm

Happy first of October, everyone! I hope we all have a wonderful new month. Remember to stay safe, wear your masks.  :)

Written By: karen on 10/02/20 at 12:46 am

Cambridge?

Cat

Yes. Elizabeth is doing another year to get her Masters in Chemistry. James is going to be studying Classics (that is Latin and Greek) possibly with some linguistics.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/20 at 5:14 am

With the fitters and workmen in for the last few days, the rooms other than one are finished now. We just need new furniture now.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/20 at 8:13 am

Going to spend all month recovering from stomach surgery. Will probably go back to work in a couple weeks but we are slow there, hour cuts and layoffs. Hopefully my doctor approves me to stay home longer.

Hope you feel better soon.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/20 at 8:14 am

Happy first of October, everyone! I hope we all have a wonderful new month. Remember to stay safe, wear your masks.  :)

and wash your hands.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/02/20 at 2:46 pm

Yes. Elizabeth is doing another year to get her Masters in Chemistry. James is going to be studying Classics (that is Latin and Greek) possibly with some linguistics.

I am VERY impressed-with both of them. You should be very proud. (I know I don't have to tell you that.)

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/03/20 at 4:36 pm

That is impressive; I send them well wishes. :)

Written By: nally on 10/03/20 at 4:39 pm

Anyway, I finished up a very busy work week yesterday, so today I'm taking it easy. Hopefully I can go into the pool later on while the weather still warm.

Written By: nally on 10/04/20 at 12:56 am

Anyway, I finished up a very busy work week yesterday, so today I'm taking it easy. Hopefully I can go into the pool later on while the weather still warm.

No pool today!

Maybe tomorrow; we'll see.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/04/20 at 1:15 pm

I voted today.  :)  Our ballots will be taken to the town office tomorrow.

And I wrote Carlos in for Justice of the Peace.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D  We pretty much ALWAYS write him or myself in for something.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/20 at 4:27 pm

From September

Had my Blood Test and Flu Job this morning, in one arm and out of the other.

The good news is on my blood test I am all clear.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/20 at 5:06 pm

From September

YAY! I guess it was ok that you didn't study for it.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/05/20 at 5:08 pm

YAY! I guess it was ok that you didn't study for it.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

;)

On a related note, I finally have a flu shot (aka "flu jab" in some parts of the world) scheduled for later this week. I did not put it off this year!

Written By: violet_shy on 10/05/20 at 8:23 pm

;)

On a related note, I finally have a flu shot (aka "flu jab" in some parts of the world) scheduled for later this week. I did not put it off this year!

I went to get mine on Saturday.  :)

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/05/20 at 8:29 pm

I got mine on Labor Day.

Last years didn’t help me much but hopefully this year will be better. I guess nothing says I can’t go in for a booster around the first of the year.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/05/20 at 8:34 pm

I got mine on Labor Day.

Last years didn’t help me much but hopefully this year will be better. I guess nothing says I can’t go in for a booster around the first of the year.

A lot people get their side effects from the flu shot. I never do thankfully. But my arm was sore for a day...and that was it.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/05/20 at 9:41 pm

A lot people get their side effects from the flu shot. I never do thankfully. But my arm was sore for a day...and that was it.

My arm was sore for maybe an hour. No side effects. Just out $41 because my insurance doesn’t cover them.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/05/20 at 10:04 pm

My arm was sore for maybe an hour. No side effects. Just out $41 because my insurance doesn’t cover them.

There's lots of places that give them for free or for next to nothing. CVS even. Nobody does that in your area? $41 for a flu shot is an absolute outrage.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/05/20 at 10:27 pm

There's lots of places that give them for free or for next to nothing. CVS even. Nobody does that in your area? $41 for a flu shot is an absolute outrage.

They all say “free” with fine print. The fine print says “covered under most insurance plans”.

We don’t have CVS around here. I’ve gone to Walmart and to Walgreens various years and both are the same price.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/05/20 at 11:25 pm

Yup I got mine for free. And my insurance did cover it thankfully. I hear the flu shots can be a bit pricey depending on the area you live in.

Written By: nally on 10/06/20 at 12:21 am

That's good. I will get mine on Friday afternoon this week. (I called my physician's office last week to schedule an appointment, and Friday the 9th was the earliest day they had open.)

I don't get any side effects whenever I have one either. Just a little soreness, which subsides after a short while.

Last year I got mine at a drugstore (Walgreen's) and had to pay $25 for it. And it was later in the year. This year I contacted my doctor's office and there's no charge for one there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/20 at 5:50 am

They all say “free” with fine print. The fine print says “covered under most insurance plans”.

We don’t have CVS around here. I’ve gone to Walmart and to Walgreens various years and both are the same price.
In the UK, flu jabs are free at your doctor's surgery with the vulnerable and the high risk having priority this year due to Covid-19. Flu jabs are available at pharmacies for a charge.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/20 at 7:53 am

;)

I had mine at a local CVS.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/20 at 7:54 am

Last time I got the flu was so many years ago.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/20 at 7:54 am

From September

That's good news.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/20 at 7:55 am

Did you use Medicare or Medicaid?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/20 at 7:57 am

In the UK, flu jabs are free at your doctor's surgery with the vulnerable and the high risk having priority this year due to Covid-19. Flu jabs are available at pharmacies for a charge.

A few years back I was told by my doctor because I am fit and healthy and in employment I was told to go elsewhere for my flu jab.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/06/20 at 8:02 am

I think he's still way to young for Medicare!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/20 at 8:04 am

I have the NHS

Written By: Howard on 10/06/20 at 8:14 am

I have the NHS

I have Medicaid.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/20 at 8:58 am

That's good news.
O0

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/06/20 at 9:52 am

I have an insurance plan through my work. Which is kinda weird what it covers. They don’t cover vaccines or anything injectable. Nothing related to cancer or if it can be used for cancer. But you can get an outpatient surgery done for $75. So I figure paying for my own flu shots, taking care of my own blood clots, etc is a fair trade off. I’ve used the outpatient thing for getting my esophagus stretched and scoped several times.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/06/20 at 11:09 am

I have the NHS

I'm guessing it's like Medicaid?

Written By: nally on 10/06/20 at 12:26 pm

Yes, the drugstores usually give them, but there is often a charge.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/06/20 at 12:30 pm

Yes, the drugstores usually give them, but there is often a charge.

People's places of employment sometimes offer them for free (or for under $5) also, regardless of insurance. A previous employer of mine did.

Written By: nally on 10/06/20 at 12:32 pm

People's places of employment sometimes offer them for free (or for under $5) also, regardless of insurance. A previous employer of mine did.

That's nice. I guess it depends on your health insurance provider or similar factors, such as whether your employment offers them for free (or at least a discount). Not so much with mine.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/20 at 12:47 pm

My flu shot was free because I go to the V.A. My arm was sore for a few days. Even though it wasn't too bad going in, I had a bit of a bruise where the needle went in.

Cat

Written By: karen on 10/06/20 at 3:14 pm

I get mine for free from work. I work in a school and they have decided it is worth the cost of all staff having a vaccine against potentially having to close if too many staff were off work with flu.

In a previous job at a local university they offered the vaccine to staff some years if a flu epidemic was predicted

Written By: violet_shy on 10/06/20 at 6:33 pm

I was sure busy today...three loads of laundry! And the washer and dryer aren't even in my apartment. There's a separate laundry room, so I have to go up and down the stairs to and from the laundry room. Carrying laundry bags, liquid detergent and my laundry card. It's exhausting! But I'm super woman lol and I did it all!  ;D Thankfully I won't have to think about doing laundry for a little while.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/20 at 3:55 pm

I was sure busy today...three loads of laundry! And the washer and dryer aren't even in my apartment. There's a separate laundry room, so I have to go up and down the stairs to and from the laundry room. Carrying laundry bags, liquid detergent and my laundry card. It's exhausting! But I'm super woman lol and I did it all!  ;D Thankfully I won't have to think about doing laundry for a little while.

I just did my wash.

Written By: nally on 10/08/20 at 12:21 pm

I just did my wash.

I had two full loads of laundry to wash yesterday. And I got 'em done.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/09/20 at 9:20 am

I am having a great morning!

Hayden Christensen sent me a DM!!!!!!!! Yes, THE Hayden Christensen!!! From the Star Wars movies. I am beyond excited!! I replied of course, I didn't know what to say so I said hello and told him he is an amazing actor!

I will come back and give updates! Hope everyone has a good morning!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/20 at 9:30 am

I am having a great morning!

Hayden Christensen sent me a DM!!!!!!!! Yes, THE Hayden Christensen!!! From the Star Wars movies. I am beyond excited!! I replied of course, I didn't know what to say so I said hello and told him he is an amazing actor!

I will come back and give updates! Hope everyone has a good morning!
Forgive me from asking, but what is a DM?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/09/20 at 9:33 am

It's a recipe for egg scramble with jelly!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/20 at 9:38 am

discreet manger ?

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/09/20 at 5:01 pm

My last remaining grandparent died yesterday. On her 92nd birthday. She’s been in a home so couldn’t see her most of this year. Service will be towards the end of the month so by then I should be good to go.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/09/20 at 5:27 pm

My last remaining grandparent died yesterday. On her 92nd birthday. She’s been in a home so couldn’t see her most of this year. Service will be towards the end of the month so by then I should be good to go.

(((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 10/09/20 at 6:09 pm

It is another term for private message. Actually an abbreviation.

Umm..... ;D

I'm so deeply sorry for your loss.  :-[

Written By: nally on 10/09/20 at 11:28 pm

So sorry for your loss. :\'( Always sad when a person dies. Especially on their b'day.

I lost my last remaining grandparent on my birthday just four years ago, namely my dad's dad. Then we had to spend the next several months cleaning out his house and putting it up for sale.

Written By: nally on 10/09/20 at 11:30 pm

So I got my flu shot this afternoon. I had to drive up to a certain location to get it (in a parking lot, outside a medical building). And I didn't have to wait in line at all because I had an appointment. And it was free, no cost! So I was in and out of there in just a few minutes' time.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/09/20 at 11:54 pm

So sorry for your loss. :\'( Always sad when a person dies. Especially on their b'day.

I lost my last remaining grandparent on my birthday just four years ago, namely my dad's dad. Then we had to spend the next several months cleaning out his house and putting it up for sale.

Thanks all. Been a long time coming but she was the one I was closest to. My daughter will miss her dearly too, as I took her there when I was working till she was 5. My mom and I drove past her old house yesterday too, not knowing she was on her last breaths.

Odd how that works sometimes. My ex wife’s grandma died on her 89th birthday. And it was my ex housemate’s birthday when she lost her mom.

Written By: nally on 10/10/20 at 12:00 am

Thanks all. Been a long time coming but she was the one I was closest to. My daughter will miss her dearly too, as I took her there when I was working till she was 5. My mom and I drove past her old house yesterday too, not knowing she was on her last breaths.

Odd how that works sometimes. My ex wife’s grandma died on her 89th birthday. And it was my ex housemate’s birthday when she lost her mom.

Yeah, I remember it well. On the day before my 36th birthday, my dad talked with his dad on the phone; somewhere in the conversation my grandpa said he was gonna call me sometime the next day to wish me a happy b'day, but we never heard from him at all that day. Finally we called the local police department in the city where he lived, asking them to go check to see if he was okay...and then they called us back to report that he'd passed on. :\'( He'd had an aortic aneurysm in the months prior to his death, so it was a matter of time before it burst and terminated his life.

Unfortunately there was no service for him, because he was registered with the Neptune Society, meaning that as soon as he died, he got cremated and his ashes scattered at sea without any service (and I think that part was lousy, because I feel that a family member deserves a service).

Written By: karen on 10/10/20 at 3:11 am

Sorry to hear this. Thinking of you

Written By: Howard on 10/10/20 at 4:20 am

Sorry for your loss, My last grandparent died a few years ago and she was 100.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/10/20 at 11:14 am

So I got my flu shot this afternoon. I had to drive up to a certain location to get it (in a parking lot, outside a medical building). And I didn't have to wait in line at all because I had an appointment. And it was free, no cost! So I was in and out of there in just a few minutes' time.

Good you finally got your flu shot! Our clinics are giving them out for free as well.

Written By: nally on 10/10/20 at 11:15 am

Good you finally got your flu shot! Our clinics are giving them out for free as well.

Thank you. That's good to know. :)

Written By: violet_shy on 10/10/20 at 11:19 am

Staying home today. Catching up on things: family, music, housework. Saturdays are usually very busy for me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/10/20 at 1:29 pm

So, our little Luna (Tic) has tendency of stopping right in front of us. I'm always afraid that she will do that when we are on the stairs. Being legally blind is even more worrisome. So, this morning I am in the kitchen and didn't see her under my feet. I went flying and my hand met the refridge's door handle. I thought I heard & felt a crack and my first thought was that I broke my pinky finger. Luckily, I didn't. It wasn't even my finger but my hand below the finger. I put ice on it. Man, it really &@$&*% hurts!  Naturally I keep hitting it or moving it in such a way. I am now reduced to typing with one hand. (Luckily is was my left hand because I am right handed.)

Cat

Written By: karen on 10/10/20 at 3:34 pm

So, our little Luna (Tic) has tendency of stopping right in front of us. I'm always afraid that she will do that when we are on the stairs. Being legally blind is even more worrisome. So, this morning I am in the kitchen and didn't see her under my feet. I went flying and my hand met the refridge's door handle. I thought I heard & felt a crack and my first thought was that I broke my pinky finger. Luckily, I didn't. It wasn't even my finger but my hand below the finger. I put ice on it. Man, it really &@$&*% hurts!  Naturally I keep hitting it or moving it in such a way. I am now reduced to typing with one hand. (Luckily is was my left hand because I am right handed.)

Cat

Ouch

It might still be worth getting it checked out. You could have cracked a bone in your hand.

Written By: karen on 10/10/20 at 3:39 pm

I have making more masks  for us to wear. Elizabeth messaged and asked for some more and I am also making some for my dad and also for me to wear at work.

I am going back to work next week. I will be in for half days to learn the new routines in cleaning etc. Then it is two weeks off for school holidays and then I hope to be back full time.

Today Dai and I went to an orienteering event. I haven’t orienteered for months so I was glad it was a relatively straightforward area

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/10/20 at 3:43 pm

Ouch

It might still be worth getting it checked out. You could have cracked a bone in your hand.

I thought of that.  I have my annual visit with my doc this Thursday (by phone this year). I will talk to him about it. (This is through the V.A. so he could give me a referral if need be and I won't have to pay for it.)

Cat

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/11/20 at 1:34 am

Thanks for the wishes everyone.

Myself, I’m getting around a little better and going to try going back to work next Tuesday. That’s when my short term disability runs out. My boss called me and said we got a bunch of work in and could use me whenever I feel up to it.

Written By: nally on 10/11/20 at 1:22 pm

Thanks for the wishes everyone.

Myself, I’m getting around a little better and going to try going back to work next Tuesday. That’s when my short term disability runs out. My boss called me and said we got a bunch of work in and could use me whenever I feel up to it.

Glad to hear you're making progress.

Are you able to work from home?

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/11/20 at 1:44 pm

Glad to hear you're making progress.

Are you able to work from home?

No they still haven’t installed my internet so I can’t work from home.

Written By: nally on 10/11/20 at 1:47 pm

No they still haven’t installed my internet so I can’t work from home.

Aw, bummer.

I've been working mostly from home since late March, only going into my office when my boss wants me there. In fact, this Wednesday I'll be going in. Of course I bring my face mask and social-distance whenever I'm inside the office suite.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/20 at 2:47 pm

Hand update:  It is still swollen and my palm is bruised. I can move all my fingers but I can't put pressure on my pinky (like when I type) because it uses the muscle that is bruised. I'm sure I will be back to normal in a day or two.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/11/20 at 2:59 pm

Hand update:  It is still swollen and my palm is bruised. I can move all my fingers but I can't put pressure on my pinky (like when I type) because it uses the muscle that is bruised. I'm sure I will be back to normal in a day or two.

Cat

Hope you feel better Cat, take care of your hand.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/12/20 at 8:14 am

Cat
Please take good care.

Written By: nally on 10/12/20 at 5:09 pm

Cat

Please take care; sending healing thoughts your way.

Written By: nally on 10/12/20 at 5:10 pm

Aw, bummer.

I've been working mostly from home since late March, only going into my office when my boss wants me there. In fact, this Wednesday I'll be going in. Of course I bring my face mask and social-distance whenever I'm inside the office suite.

Change of plans, I will be going to the office on Thursday of this week, working that day in lieu of Friday.

by the way, last week I realized that it was a whole year since my work schedule changed from two days per week to three days per week.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/13/20 at 5:36 pm

Tried going to work today. I did ok for the first couple hours but after that kept feeling worse and worse. I went home at lunchtime. They understand completely. I’ll try again tomorrow but might just have to do half days for awhile or skip some days. Thankfully I’ve got plenty of vacation left.

Written By: nally on 10/14/20 at 12:26 am

Tried going to work today. I did ok for the first couple hours but after that kept feeling worse and worse. I went home at lunchtime. They understand completely. I’ll try again tomorrow but might just have to do half days for awhile or skip some days. Thankfully I’ve got plenty of vacation left.

What about sick time?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/20 at 3:02 am

Please take good care and be safe.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/14/20 at 7:33 am

What about sick time?

Still not feeling good, not going in today. We don’t have sick time. Just vacation time no matter what you use it for.

Written By: nally on 10/14/20 at 10:28 am

Still not feeling good, not going in today. We don’t have sick time. Just vacation time no matter what you use it for.

Got it.

In many workplaces, they offer sick time. I've had to take some on a few occasions (most recently last November when I got the flu, but only for one day).

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/20 at 12:38 pm

I hope whichever choice of situation you choose or given, I hope it is the safest one for you. Can you work from home?

Please, please take good care.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/14/20 at 1:31 pm

((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))

Take care of your self and I hope you feel better soon.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/14/20 at 1:34 pm

Sorry to hear.  Take good care of yourself!

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/14/20 at 3:29 pm

I hope whichever choice of situation you choose or given, I hope it is the safest one for you. Can you work from home?

Please, please take good care.

No internet yet so I can’t work from home.

I was doing better after the surgery but it’s like I had a relapse and I feel about as sick as when I first got home. Eventually I’ll get better but I’ve got work to do too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/20 at 3:32 pm

I was doing better after the surgery but it’s like I had a relapse and I feel about as sick as when I first got home. Eventually I’ll get better but I’ve got work to do too.
I do not know how the health system works in the USA, you must can take your time to recover well. Take good care of yourself!

Written By: Howard on 10/14/20 at 3:37 pm

Take good care of yourself. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/14/20 at 4:18 pm

You were probably pushing yourself too fast, too soon.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 10/14/20 at 9:35 pm

Please feel better soon. Keeping you in my prayers.

Written By: nally on 10/16/20 at 11:30 am

Not working today because I worked yesterday instead (so that I could complete middle-of-the-month duties). It wasn't so bad driving to and from the office, even though I had to deal with heat. I will also be going back to the office again on Monday.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/16/20 at 12:18 pm

Thank you everyone. This morning finally felt like I could function. Went to work for a half day in my pj pants with a heating pad on my belly. I felt I reached my limit but didn’t exceed it. A full day would have messed me up again. Now off for the weekend.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/20 at 12:21 pm

Thank you everyone. This morning finally felt like I could function. Went to work for a half day in my pj pants with a heating pad on my belly. I felt I reached my limit but didn’t exceed it. A full day would have messed me up again. Now off for the weekend.
It is good that you attempted to get back into the routine of work, and you know your bodily limits. Once again, please take good care and be safe.

Written By: Howard on 10/16/20 at 2:41 pm

Glad to hear you feel a bit better.

Written By: nally on 10/16/20 at 3:14 pm

Glad you are improving. O0

Written By: violet_shy on 10/16/20 at 5:42 pm

I'm so happy to read this. Glad you are feeling a little better.  :)

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/16/20 at 6:43 pm

Thank you everyone <3

Written By: nally on 10/19/20 at 6:25 pm

Drove to the office today because I was asked to work in the office. Over the weekend I had devised a plan to better budget my time...and it worked out well! I got everything done.

My next day of work will be Thursday of this week (not Wednesday) because my schedule has been rearranged this week. That's okay, I'm flexible (and have nothin' else going on).

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/19/20 at 6:43 pm

I accomplished a full day at work today. Same plan as Friday, pj pants and heating pad but hey it really helps. Today was also the first day since before surgery that I didn’t feel queasy. Hope it continues.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/20 at 3:59 am

I accomplished a full day at work today. Same plan as Friday, pj pants and heating pad but hey it really helps. Today was also the first day since before surgery that I didn’t feel queasy. Hope it continues.
Excellent news, but please do not exert yourself beyond your limits.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/20 at 8:44 am

My extended weekend was spent with my family bubble going round various stores for bedroom furniture, and a visit to a bathroom store for ideas for a new bathroom. The stored were busy, lots of people with or without masks, we had our masks on, so we did not stay long at the stores.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/20/20 at 10:01 am

Excellent news, but please do not exert yourself beyond your limits.

Thanks. I’m free to go home any time I feel it’s too much.

Written By: nally on 10/20/20 at 10:17 am

My extended weekend was spent with my family bubble going round various stores for bedroom furniture, and a visit to a bathroom store for ideas for a new bathroom. The stored were busy, lots of people with or without masks, we had our masks on, so we did not stay long at the stores.

I hope there was social distancing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/20 at 10:18 am

Thanks. I’m free to go home any time I feel it’s too much.
Good news for you. Take good care.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/20 at 10:37 am

I hope there was social distancing.
We certainly kept our distance, but others would brush by dangerously close. It will probably be my last visit to such a store for a while.

Written By: nally on 10/20/20 at 10:39 am

We certainly kept our distance, but others would brush by dangerously close. It will probably be my last visit to such a store for a while.

All the more reason I am not in any rush whatsoever to visit any stores myself in the foreseeable future.

Written By: nally on 10/20/20 at 10:41 am

Anyway, our carpet is being cleaned this morning, and that is expected to take hours. Every 18 months it needs to get maintained this way. So after this it will not need such service again until April of 2022.

Written By: Howard on 10/20/20 at 3:38 pm

Anyway, our carpet is being cleaned this morning, and that is expected to take hours. Every 18 months it needs to get maintained this way. So after this it will not need such service again until April of 2022.

I think I may need my bedroom carpet cleaned.

Written By: nally on 10/20/20 at 3:40 pm

I think I may need my bedroom carpet cleaned.

Well, the cleaning process took about 2 hours, so now we're letting it dry, which will take the rest of the day.

Written By: karen on 10/22/20 at 11:59 am

Due to lockdown, furlough etc I have been at home in my slippers more than usual. Back in August I spotted that I had worn a hole in the toe area of one. Plus the cushioning has gone out of them.

Dai said he would buy me a new pair for my birthday. When they came they were a size too small. He returned them, but I don’t think he ordered replacements straightaway. A parcel arrived this morning with my new slippers in. They have cute penguins on them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/20 at 12:04 pm

Due to lockdown, furlough etc I have been at home in my slippers more than usual. Back in August I spotted that I had worn a hole in the toe area of one. Plus the cushioning has gone out of them.

Dai said he would buy me a new pair for my birthday. When they came they were a size too small. He returned them, but I don’t think he ordered replacements straightaway. A parcel arrived this morning with my new slippers in. They have cute penguins on them.
Ten guesses what need a new pair of?

Written By: nally on 10/22/20 at 5:06 pm

Drove to the office today because I was asked to work in the office. Over the weekend I had devised a plan to better budget my time...and it worked out well! I got everything done.

My next day of work will be Thursday of this week (not Wednesday) because my schedule has been rearranged this week. That's okay, I'm flexible (and have nothin' else going on).

And today I worked from home, getting done everything that I needed to do. :) I go back on Monday, and will work three other days next week for a total of four days.

Written By: nally on 10/24/20 at 4:03 pm

Parents & I are home all day today as they celebrate their 44th wedding anniversary. (We plan to have a nice meal together later on.)

Written By: violet_shy on 10/24/20 at 4:07 pm

Parents & I are home all day today as they celebrate their 44th wedding anniversary. (We plan to have a nice meal together later on.)

Happy anniversary to your parents!

Written By: karen on 10/25/20 at 4:14 pm

We redecorated our bedroom last week (well I say we, I mean my husband mainly). It was last painted and papered twenty years ago.  We kept the curtains and chose a paint for the walls to match. Dai also touched up the varnish on the skirting and other woodwork.

Written By: nally on 10/25/20 at 10:52 pm

Happy anniversary to your parents!

Many thanks!

Written By: nally on 10/26/20 at 4:36 pm

Worked from home again today. Just found out that I'll be driving to the office on Wednesday and Friday this week.

Written By: karen on 10/29/20 at 9:15 am

I had a nice day yesterday. I drove to Cambridge to see Elizabeth and James.

I met Elizabeth for brunch and we had a nice chat before she had to go to her chemistry lab. She is doing a research project this year and spends a lot of time working on this.

I then had a walk around the shops (the indoor shopping centre was very busy) before meeting James for lunch. I had tea and scones. Unfortunately James had to meet his tutor at 2.00 instead of 3.00 so we had less than an hour to chat. He seems to be getting on ok living away from home. His lectures are online but he still has face to face small group meetings a few times a week. He has tried rowing a couple of times and also joined the college climbing group. There is an indoor climbing centre in the town.

Written By: karen on 10/30/20 at 6:57 am

Locally we have moved up a Covid alert level from medium to high. This means not getting together with people from outside your immediate family bubble indoors in any setting (homes, cafes, pubs etc), outdoors it must be 6 people maximum. Most hospitality venues must shut between 10pm and 5am. Some can stay open only as click and collect or drive through. You must pre order this food, no walk ups.

Written By: nally on 10/31/20 at 11:48 pm

Drove up the coast this morning to a place where we like to get apples. Of course social distancing/mask wearing was required when entering the place, and it all worked out well. And it was good to be able to go out somewhere, after being at home all the time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/02/20 at 1:48 am

Bye Bye October!

Check for new replies or respond here...