inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Year, New Monthly Thread: January 2021

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/20 at 6:05 pm

Here is it. A new year. Hopefully this year will be better than the last.

Cat

Subject: Re: New Year, New Monthly Thread: January 2021

Written By: nally on 12/31/20 at 6:06 pm

Here is it. A new year. Hopefully this year will be better than the last.

Cat

I agree. O0

Written By: karen on 12/31/20 at 6:08 pm

Happy new year.

It is seven minutes past midnight here in the U.K. I can hear fireworks going off across the street

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/31/20 at 11:25 pm

Happy New Year!!!    :D

Written By: kr37 on 01/01/21 at 2:35 am

Happy New Year!  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/01/21 at 3:36 pm

Happy New Year, did everyone get their stimulus checks?

Written By: karen on 01/01/21 at 3:47 pm

No, is it in the post?

Written By: nally on 01/01/21 at 10:57 pm

Happy new year.

It is seven minutes past midnight here in the U.K. I can hear fireworks going off across the street

There were some near to us as well at that hour. It almost sounded like being in a war zone. I mean, often times we'd hear them when the new year starts, but in some years it's been more intense than others.

Written By: Howard on 01/02/21 at 4:51 am

No, is it in the post?

It went straight to my bank account.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/02/21 at 10:52 am

Happy New Year everyone!  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/03/21 at 3:41 pm

Happy New Year everyone!  :)

Hey Black Panther. :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/03/21 at 9:59 pm

Hey Black Panther. :)

Hello! 8)

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/03/21 at 10:14 pm

Mine is pending in the bank account.

So far hopefully this year will be good. First year I will ever have high speed internet in my life. Just installed a couple weeks ago. Still getting used to it and getting things set up. Got my phone updated, computer updated. Got a Roku and am getting used to it. I can actually watch videos now and they don’t lag or quit. Got a cable run to the garage so I can have signal out there. I want to set up a WiFi camera and relay bank so I can monitor and control my pellet stove remotely.

My surgery was a short lived success, I have just as much problems eating again as I used to. I can live with it though. The stimulus check will help pay for the surgery. It was good while it lasted. I just watched the movie “At First Sight”. It’s kinda like that but instead of being able to see it’s being able to eat.

Written By: karen on 01/04/21 at 4:41 am

We went up to the other house for a couple of days to do some minor repairs. On the drive up the Prime Minister announced that most of the country would move to tier four (basically a stay at home level) the next day. We did a quick supermarket trip and then stayed in the house apart from a walk in the hills when we were on our way home.

Still waiting to here whether the school I work in will reopen completely next week. Also waiting to hear whether Elizabeth and James are going back to uni or not. James can probably study remotely, but Elizabeth is in the middle of a lab based biochemistry project.

In other news our dishwasher stopped working yesterday. A repairman is coming tomorrow to take a look. It may be cheaper to buy a new one, as this washer is more than 15 years old

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/21 at 10:03 am

Happy New Year!

I'm back and all is fine.

It looks like I have a lot to catch up on.

Take good care and be safe.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/21 at 2:38 pm

This morning I was reading the Washington Post on my tablet while sitting in my "throne" (recliner/rocker/swivel) and drinking my tea in the living room like I do every morning. Then I proceed to pour tea all over myself. Great. Then, I swiveled the chair (I get up that way all the time because it easier to get to the kitchen) and I hit my tea cup and it went flying. Tea all over the floor. I let out a few "choice" words. Carlos was in the kitchen and asked what happened. I said that I spilled my tea-FOR THE SECOND TIME TODAY! I put the tea cup back on the slate coaster as I went to get some paper towels to mop up what landed on the floor. When I went to pick up the cup-which was wet on the bottom, the coaster stuck to the bottom of the cup and then dropped to the floor and broke into 3 pieces. Again, I let out a few choice words. Carlos looked at me and asked if he could help. I said that he could glue the coaster back. He said that he could do that.

Yup! I was having a Monday! Oy vey!

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/04/21 at 3:41 pm

Happy New Year!

I'm back and all is fine.

It looks like I have a lot to catch up on.

Take good care and be safe.

Welcome Back Phil. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/21 at 3:42 pm

Welcome Back Phil. :)
Many thanks, and I am glad I am back.

Written By: nally on 01/04/21 at 10:57 pm

Many thanks, and I am glad I am back.

I'm glad you are back as well. O0

Written By: nally on 01/04/21 at 10:58 pm

So, today was my first day of work in the new year; I worked from home (and figure to be doing so all this week). The 19th of this month will be my 5-year anniversary of employment in my company. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/21 at 6:19 am

It is a good day to stay in, it is raining!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/21 at 3:34 pm

Had a video call with our 8 year old grandson. He said that he wanted to send us a rag doll of him so we could hug it when we can't see him. I asked him if he got the idea from a commercial. He said he did. Every time we saw that commercial, I told Carlos that the boy reminded me of our grandson. He said that maybe he can get his mom to make it for my birthday. I told him that hopefully, we can see him by then. Then he said that he still wanted to get it for us.

My heart is melting.

Cat

Written By: karen on 01/06/21 at 5:36 am

Had a video call with our 8 year old grandson. He said that he wanted to send us a rag doll of him so we could hug it when we can't see him. I asked him if he got the idea from a commercial. He said he did. Every time we saw that commercial, I told Carlos that the boy reminded me of our grandson. He said that maybe he can get his mom to make it for my birthday. I told him that hopefully, we can see him by then. Then he said that he still wanted to get it for us.

My heart is melting.

Cat

Cute. Is he going to make the rag doll?

Written By: karen on 01/06/21 at 5:41 am

This morning I was reading the Washington Post on my tablet while sitting in my "throne" (recliner/rocker/swivel) and drinking my tea in the living room like I do every morning. Then I proceed to pour tea all over myself. Great. Then, I swiveled the chair (I get up that way all the time because it easier to get to the kitchen) and I hit my tea cup and it went flying. Tea all over the floor. I let out a few "choice" words. Carlos was in the kitchen and asked what happened. I said that I spilled my tea-FOR THE SECOND TIME TODAY! I put the tea cup back on the slate coaster as I went to get some paper towels to mop up what landed on the floor. When I went to pick up the cup-which was wet on the bottom, the coaster stuck to the bottom of the cup and then dropped to the floor and broke into 3 pieces. Again, I let out a few choice words. Carlos looked at me and asked if he could help. I said that he could glue the coaster back. He said that he could do that.

Yup! I was having a Monday! Oy vey!

Cat

I hope your Tuesday was better?

I have a new year’s resolution to try and get this thread back to how it used to be. Remember how we used to comment things people said rather than just report in?

I was searching for the January 2009 thread to look at what I had been doing then (cryptic Facebook memory about life needing to return to normal). We posted 61 pages just in January, discussing life, joking with each other, etc. This board felt way more supportive then.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=35480.0 to see what I am talking about.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/06/21 at 1:51 pm

Cute. Is he going to make the rag doll?

I doubt it. He was saying that he hoped that his mother would make one-and I really doubt she will make one.

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/06/21 at 11:29 pm

My heart is melting.

Cat

Aww... how nice. :)

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/07/21 at 12:50 am

Found out my daughter got COVID. From her boyfriends mom. She doesn’t go anywhere but work and home. She’s almost 20 so hopefully she gets through it with little difficulty. She lives over 3 hours downstate in the city.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/21 at 12:54 am

Found out my daughter got COVID. From her boyfriends mom. She doesn’t go anywhere but work and home. She’s almost 20 so hopefully she gets through it with little difficulty. She lives over 3 hours downstate in the city.
I wish her well.

Written By: karen on 01/07/21 at 2:21 am

Wishing her a speedy recovery

Written By: Howard on 01/07/21 at 7:23 am

Wish her a quick recovery.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/21 at 1:27 pm

Well wishes to her and a speedy recovery.

Cat

Written By: karen on 01/07/21 at 3:49 pm

Every year around this time I take part in a wassail. That is I sing round some fruit trees and then make lots of noise to scare away the demons and put cider soaked bread in the branches. This is all in aid of getting a good apple harvest later in the year. I do this with the Morris side I dance with and another side based in the nearby city.

This year we did it via Zoom. I am currently sat in my kitchen in full kit, complete with green face paint, having just finished the meeting. We had sent in a couple of our dance videos beforehand to share and we also did one dance. We also sang the wassail song and someone recited a poem and we gave the apple tree pruning (and random indoor plants) three cheers.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/21 at 4:07 pm

Every year around this time I take part in a wassail. That is I sing round some fruit trees and then make lots of noise to scare away the demons and put cider soaked bread in the branches. This is all in aid of getting a good apple harvest later in the year. I do this with the Morris side I dance with and another side based in the nearby city.

This year we did it via Zoom. I am currently sat in my kitchen in full kit, complete with green face paint, having just finished the meeting. We had sent in a couple of our dance videos beforehand to share and we also did one dance. We also sang the wassail song and someone recited a poem and we gave the apple tree pruning (and random indoor plants) three cheers.

I love rituals like this-even if it was via Zoom.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/21 at 4:10 pm

My heart is melting.

Cat

BTW, this was the commercial my grandson was inspired by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o4eMcIe4NA

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/07/21 at 5:08 pm

I love rituals like this-even if it was via Zoom.

Cat

I just ordered a sage smudge kit to cleanse and purify the vibes of my house. Last weekend I saw a bundle of sage at a local bookstore for less money, but it didn't come with the decorative abalone shell, which is along the lines of an incense burner, that the kit does.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/21 at 5:40 pm

I just ordered a sage smudge kit to cleanse and purify the vibes of my house. Last weekend I saw a bundle of sage at a local bookstore for less money, but it didn't come with the decorative abalone shell, which is along the lines of an incense burner, that the kit does.

Our old house was a 2-family house. After having tenant after tenant who didn't pay rent, at first we were going to sell the house and move but after looking around, we realized that we weren't going to get as much house for what we were paying. So, we kicked the tenants out and turned the 2-family house into a 1-family house but just opening up one wall that led into the front stairwell leading to the upstairs' apartment.

When we first went up there after they left, I could really feel the negative vibes to the place. We used to live in the upstairs' apartment before moving downstairs and it didn't have that vibe. Being the good witch that I am, I took out the sage and smudged the place. After that, no more negative vibes.

I did the same thing with our house in Puerto Rico. I didn't do it this house. When I first walked into this house, I felt two vibes-negative on top but under that, I felt love. I had been planning on smudging the place before we moved in but about a year later-after the renovations were complete, I no longer felt those negative vibes. I also learned that we were supposed to have a resident ghost and I didn't want to banish her because I heard good things about her. So, I didn't smudge the place. But, after almost 7 years, I have not seen nor heard anything of "The Lady" but every now and again, I feel her and others have too.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/07/21 at 7:05 pm

Sorry to hear - I hope she recovers quickly.

Written By: nally on 01/07/21 at 10:52 pm

So, tomorrow (Friday) after I'm done with work I gotta go to the dentist to have a filling put in. 8-P Not lookin' forward to it.

When I had my routine visit a couple months ago, he said I'm gonna need one because he found a cavity, and Jan. 8 was the earliest it could be scheduled.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/07/21 at 11:00 pm

So, tomorrow (Friday) after I'm done with work I gotta go to the dentist to have a filling put in. 8-P Not lookin' forward to it.

When I had my routine visit a couple months ago, he said I'm gonna need one because he found a cavity, and Jan. 8 was the earliest it could be scheduled.

Dental work - UGH!  Hopefully it goes smooth and easy.

Written By: nally on 01/07/21 at 11:01 pm

Thanks AG; honestly I can say that I had only one other cavity in my life, and it was when I was in my twenties. I wanna say in 2007.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/21 at 3:59 am

During the years I've been to the dentist, I've had braces, cavities and both wisdom teeth taken out.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/21 at 4:00 am

Today is the day My Mother finally comes home from The hospital. :)

Written By: karen on 01/08/21 at 5:56 am

Great news Howard.

I expect she will still need you and your father to look after her for a little while yet.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/21 at 1:48 pm

We normally go twice a year but we haven't been in over a year (you can guess why). I can't say that I am looking forward to our next trip but I will say that I think we really NEED to go. We are going to wait a bit-at least until we get our vaccines. I have a tooth that I am hoping will hold out until then. The last time I went in, they did say that it was something to keep an eye on.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/21 at 1:48 pm

YAY!!!!

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/08/21 at 2:05 pm

Excellent news! O0

Written By: nally on 01/08/21 at 8:40 pm

So it took almost an hour for the tooth filling procedure to get completed; right about now the numbness is wearing off.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/21 at 7:46 am

Great news Howard.

I expect she will still need you and your father to look after her for a little while yet.

Yes I believe so, she still has a lingering cough here and there but overall she feels much better than where she was a month or so ago.

Written By: nally on 01/09/21 at 11:49 am

Yes I believe so, she still has a lingering cough here and there but overall she feels much better than where she was a month or so ago.

That's good to hear. O0

Written By: karen on 01/09/21 at 2:24 pm

Elizabeth is going back to university tomorrow. Her lectures will be online, but she is hoping she will be allowed into the labs soon to continue her project. The university is currently negotiating with the government to be allowed to do this for certain students.

James is going to be staying here as all his courses will be online for the time being.

I have been contacted by the school head where I work about going on some form of flexible furlough. I will be paid throughout, but when I am not in work the school can claim 80% of my salary from the government. The plan is for me to film core practical experiments so the teachers can use them in their online lessons. Although many National exams have already been cancelled the science exams our students sit have not been cancelled so we need to make sure all the work has been covered.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/09/21 at 3:33 pm

That's good news, Howard!  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/10/21 at 8:29 am

That's good news, Howard!  :)

She's feeling a bit better, coughing here and there and trying to get her strength back but overall, she's doing good.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/21 at 3:44 am

She's feeling a bit better, coughing here and there and trying to get her strength back but overall, she's doing good.  :)
Good to hear she is back home, and hope she is better soon.

Written By: Howard on 01/11/21 at 7:53 am

Good to hear she is back home, and hope she is better soon.

It will take a while to get over this.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/21 at 7:54 am

It will take a while to get over this.
Rest and good isolation?

Written By: Howard on 01/11/21 at 8:11 am

Rest and good isolation?

She's definitely getting much better rest and not going out as much.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/21 at 6:20 pm

One year ago, today.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49400525227_9b69c37d57.jpg

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/11/21 at 8:24 pm

Cat

Sad anniversary - sorry to hear  :\'(

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/11/21 at 9:03 pm

Sad anniversary - sorry to hear  :\'(

Sorry to hear. I’m highly allergic but wow it’s a pretty kitty.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/21 at 9:17 am

Cat

Sorry to hear.  :\'(

Written By: nally on 01/12/21 at 4:41 pm

Cat

I agree with the others... sad anniversary but she looks like a lovely animal. :\'(

On a related note, in August of this year it'll be 10 years since we said goodbye to our dog Chloe. :\'(

Written By: nally on 01/12/21 at 4:43 pm

Anyway, I just got done with working (from home), which I will do again tomorrow but not sure about Friday. (I worked today in lieu of yesterday because there was repair work being done at the office.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/21 at 5:31 pm

Thanks, everyone. I don't think I am too bias to say that she was probably one of the most beautiful cats in the world.

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/14/21 at 2:27 pm

Anyway, I just got done with working (from home), which I will do again tomorrow but not sure about Friday. (I worked today in lieu of yesterday because there was repair work being done at the office.)

Yesterday it was confirmed that I will be driving to my office tomorrow.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/14/21 at 7:25 pm

Thanks for the wishes. My daughter is coming along but had it rough with Covid. Chest pains, bad headaches every day even still, body aches, so fatigued she spent pretty much the first week in bed, no sense of smell. Shortness of breath when she tries to do stuff like laundry. She’s been taking aspirin because of covids record of blood clots. Zinc hurts her stomach. Other than that her mom is basically a connoisseur of herbal medicine so I’m sure she’s tried other things. I hope she overcomes it and it doesn’t come back with more symptoms like some people have.

My sister’s daughter had it months ago and they’re about the same age. She only had a sniffle and lost her smell, and that was it.

Not funny but it’s like Covid is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get. Except these days you do because chocolate boxes have maps now.

Written By: nally on 01/15/21 at 11:54 pm

^ Sorry to hear of this. I hope she can pull through it all.

Written By: karen on 01/17/21 at 11:39 am

The new dishwasher arrived on Friday. Dai and James fitted it (we could have paid extra for this).  First run through without the dishwasher in its final location just in case something needed to be tightened, but all seems good.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/22/21 at 5:33 am

^ Sorry to hear of this. I hope she can pull through it all.

She said last night that she is feeling better and mostly back to normal. Only thing is the sense of smell and taste are still screwed up. She said a lot of foods and drinks she avoids because they now taste like chemicals. Including soft drinks and mint which was her favorite. And every time she goes outside she gets a whiff of a fish smell.

Written By: karen on 01/22/21 at 6:29 am

She said last night that she is feeling better and mostly back to normal. Only thing is the sense of smell and taste are still screwed up. She said a lot of foods and drinks she avoids because they now taste like chemicals. Including soft drinks and mint which was her favorite. And every time she goes outside she gets a whiff of a fish smell.

I recently read an article that had some people saying this effect unfortunately lasted for a few months after they had Covid.  I just did a little research on this and found a report by Columbia University recommending a way to reset your olfactory nerve. It was only tested on people who had had other related coronavirus infections, but they say there is no reason why it shouldn't work. If she wants to try it, your daughter should get 3 or 4 essential oils (or maybe perfume or whatever) that have strong memories for her. She should smell each one for 15-20 seconds, while concentrating on the memories it evokes. A few cycles of scent smelling and breathing normally are recommended, repeated two or three times a day.

Written By: Ripley on 01/22/21 at 4:34 pm

So, today was my first day of work in the new year; I worked from home (and figure to be doing so all this week). The 19th of this month will be my 5-year anniversary of employment in my company. :)

Wow! I remember when you first started there! Congrats!!!

Written By: nally on 01/22/21 at 4:37 pm

Wow! I remember when you first started there! Congrats!!!

Yep...that's the longest I've ever been employed in any paid position. And I still love it there. :)

Written By: Ripley on 01/22/21 at 4:48 pm

Cat

I am so sorry Cat 😢 I still miss our Buddy so much and I can tell our other pets do too. 😔

Written By: Ripley on 01/22/21 at 4:52 pm

Yep...that's the longest I've ever been employed in any paid position. And I still love it there. :)

That’s good! 8)

Written By: nally on 01/22/21 at 4:54 pm

That’s good! 8)

O0

And lately (for the most part) I've been working from home, which saves me long drives out there on a regular basis. (Today was one of those days.) I do have to go there next Friday to do end-of-the-month tasks.

Written By: nally on 01/22/21 at 4:57 pm

I am so sorry Cat . I still miss our Buddy so much and I can tell our other pets do too.

very true. And this August it'll be 10 years since my most recent pet went to heaven :\'(

Written By: Ripley on 01/22/21 at 4:57 pm

O0

And lately (for the most part) I've been working from home, which saves me long drives out there on a regular basis. (Today was one of those days.) I do have to go there next Friday to do end-of-the-month tasks.

You can save a lot of money on not using all that gas! 😁

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/22/21 at 10:11 pm

I recently read an article that had some people saying this effect unfortunately lasted for a few months after they had Covid.  I just did a little research on this and found a report by Columbia University recommending a way to reset your olfactory nerve. It was only tested on people who had had other related coronavirus infections, but they say there is no reason why it shouldn't work. If she wants to try it, your daughter should get 3 or 4 essential oils (or maybe perfume or whatever) that have strong memories for her. She should smell each one for 15-20 seconds, while concentrating on the memories it evokes. A few cycles of scent smelling and breathing normally are recommended, repeated two or three times a day.

Thanks. I’ll see what she says. I found the article and it’s good info.

Written By: nally on 01/22/21 at 10:22 pm

You can save a lot of money on not using all that gas!

I have definitely been doing so!

That is one good thing that has come out of the situation we've been in for the past 9 to 10 months.

Written By: Ripley on 01/23/21 at 9:19 am

Out of curiosity, how many people here work at a grocery store/retail? I’m just wondering who all has to deal with rude customers 🤣. Howard do you still work at the same store?

Today hasn’t been a bad day. I get off work in less than 2 hours. Getting up early is worth it to get my afternoons off. It’s a lot better for me. I hope everyone is having a good or at least decent day.

Written By: karen on 01/23/21 at 9:38 am

I took my dad for his Covid vaccine on Thursday evening. He was there for less than half an hour, not bad given he had to wait 15 minutes after the injection to check for any immediate side effects. I thought I would drop him at the door and have time to do a quick supermarket run. He was standing in the street waiting for me when I got back.

We had a couple of flurries of snow this morning. None of it stuck though. I can’t decide if I want it to snow or not. We like to go sledging (sledding) when we get a decent fall, but probably not a good idea this year.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/21 at 1:34 pm

I am so sorry Cat 😢 I still miss our Buddy so much and I can tell our other pets do too. 😔

Thanks.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/23/21 at 2:38 pm

Out of curiosity, how many people here work at a grocery store/retail? I’m just wondering who all has to deal with rude customers 🤣. Howard do you still work at the same store?

Today hasn’t been a bad day. I get off work in less than 2 hours. Getting up early is worth it to get my afternoons off. It’s a lot better for me. I hope everyone is having a good or at least decent day.

Yes, I still work at the same store for 10 years but altogether this upcoming April will make it 14 years pushing carts and being a cart attendant, that company is so lazy they can't afford a cart caddy to bring up the wagons but instead we use our man power to bring them up.

Written By: Ripley on 01/23/21 at 2:53 pm

Yes, I still work at the same store for 10 years but altogether this upcoming April will make it 14 years pushing carts and being a cart attendant, that company is so lazy they can't afford a cart caddy to bring up the wagons but instead we use our man power to bring them up.

At my store it’s a small one so maintenance does both carts and cleaning. We don’t have anything to pull the carts in either.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/21 at 2:58 pm

At my store it’s a small one so maintenance does both carts and cleaning. We don’t have anything to pull the carts in either.

Our store has a pulley and a cart key.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/23/21 at 4:20 pm

I don’t but my mom does. Still has rude people take off their masks thinking it will get them better service.

Only store I can think of with a cart caddy is Walmart. I think of the time I saw this worker trying to move a big line of carts in the snow. The caddy just spun its tires and the worker was swearing up a storm.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/21 at 7:48 am

I don’t but my mom does. Still has rude people take off their masks thinking it will get them better service.

Only store I can think of with a cart caddy is Walmart. I think of the time I saw this worker trying to move a big line of carts in the snow. The caddy just spun its tires and the worker was swearing up a storm.

So why is it that a billion dollar business such as Stop N Shop cannot afford a cart caddy to bring up carts but we have to use our man power? Is it that hard to at least spend some money or is it because of the huge amounts of people and car traffic?  ???

Written By: karen on 01/24/21 at 9:45 am

More snow today. It has been snowing for a few hours now. Not much depth yet as the flakes are very small.

James, Dai and I have just been for a walk around the local open space. Charnwood Water is a flooded clay pit that is now a sort of nature reserve.

Written By: Elor on 01/24/21 at 12:21 pm

So why is it that a billion dollar business such as Stop N Shop cannot afford a cart caddy to bring up carts but we have to use our man power? Is it that hard to at least spend some money or is it because of the huge amounts of people and car traffic?  ???
Wouldn't that make you or your colleagues redundant? Maybe you should be glad they don't have a caddy. ???

Written By: Howard on 01/24/21 at 2:25 pm

Wouldn't that make you or your colleagues redundant? Maybe you should be glad they don't have a caddy. ???

We wouldn't be redundant, we'd be the one pushing the caddy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/21 at 3:41 am

More snow today. It has been snowing for a few hours now. Not much depth yet as the flakes are very small.

Snow fell heavily in London yesterday as well, but did not stay on the ground for long. We just stayed in and watched it fall through the window.

Written By: karen on 01/25/21 at 4:22 am

Snow fell heavily in London yesterday as well, but did not stay on the ground for long. We just stayed in and watched it fall through the window.

Still snowy here. The roads have not been gritted or anything

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/21 at 4:25 am

Still snowy here. The roads have not been gritted or anything
Stay at home for two good reasons now?

Written By: karen on 01/25/21 at 5:49 am

Stay at home for two good reasons now?

I have to walk into town soon as I am volunteering at the vaccine centre, and need to pick up a prescription for a neighbour. The sun is out and the snow is melting a little.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/21 at 5:51 am

I have to walk into town soon as I am volunteering at the vaccine centre, and need to pick up a prescription for a neighbour. The sun is out and the snow is melting a little.
Please take good care.

Written By: Elor on 01/25/21 at 8:32 am

We wouldn't be redundant, we'd be the one pushing the caddy.
Can't one guy with a caddy do more work than 2 cart men without one? If so some of you would be redundant.

Written By: Ripley on 01/25/21 at 11:42 am

I work for one of the Walmart market stores. I don’t know about the other small ones but we don’t get anything at all to help him. Also, I actually prefer working for the bigger store where I worked 8 years (long story why I’m not there anymore). Holiday time there is crazy yeah but there are obviously going to be both positives and negatives to both types. I find managers get onto us more since they have less associates and less departments to deal with. It’s bad enough to deal with rude customers as well.

Those people who take off their mask are a pain. I leave it to management to deal with, it’s not worth the threats they give. But we get that all the time so I know what she has to deal with. 😔

Written By: Ripley on 01/25/21 at 11:44 am

Because they spend that billion on their upper management and executives just like my company does. Or other useless crap. Sadly they care less about us associates than they did back in the day.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/25/21 at 1:43 pm

This morning as I was in the living room reading the Washington Post, I was thinking that I may get a surprise in the mail. Of course when the mail came, there was no surprise.

Naturally, on one of the coldest day of the year, we have heating system issues. We had it set for 72 but it would only go up to maybe 71 and run and run and run and run. I upped it a bit-first 73 but the temp would only go up to 71 and run and run and... I finally set it on 74 and right now the temp is hovering somewhere between 69 & 70. I told Carlos that it is time to call someone. I think it is the thermostat but what do I know?

So he called and was told that they would call him back.

When the phone rang and the caller ID said "Cell Phone MA," Carlos answered it thinking it was the people calling him back about the heating system. (We usually don't answer the phone if we don't know the # because we get so many bogus calls.) He answered it up here in the office while I was downstairs doing the dishes in the kitchen. He came downstairs and said, "One of your old boyfriends is on the phone." WHAT??!!! HOLY CRAP! Someone who I haven't heard from in DECADES! He said that he wasn't going to talk and wanted my address and he would write to me to tell me what is going on with him. I gave it to him. So, my premonition this morning was close. (There is my E.S.P. again.) 

So now I am in total shock! And my guess is he is going to ask me for some $$$.

And we are STILL waiting for the heating people to call back.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/25/21 at 3:16 pm

Can't one guy with a caddy do more work than 2 cart men without one? If so some of you would be redundant.

The caddy would help us to bring up the wagons and park them.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/21 at 3:19 pm

Because they spend that billion on their upper management and executives just like my company does. Or other useless crap. Sadly they care less about us associates than they did back in the day.

They also cannot afford tables and chairs in our breakroom since someone broke the last chair and now the room is left with us sitting on boxes and crates, that company is just a complete mess. ::)

Written By: nally on 01/25/21 at 3:33 pm

So, today I am not working (like I normally would be doing on Mondays) because I have a different working schedule this week. I will work (from home) tomorrow in lieu of today.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/25/21 at 5:15 pm

Today I got my Covid pre-op test so I can go downstate again for another esophagus exam and stretch later this week. My surgery lasted until the Sunday after thanksgiving, then it started closing back up again. I hadn’t even paid the $2000 bill yet.

Kinda defeats the purpose when to get a test, you gotta sit in a crowded hospital waiting room full of sick people for an hour. They had a drive through tent but weren’t using it. But up here you take what you can get.

Same thing as last time. I won’t know unless it’s positive. If I wait long enough and don’t hear anything I can assume negative. I just hope they don’t wait to say anything until I’ve traveled with my mom 4 hours downstate and paid for the hotel room.

But I did just get a cheap little device that will monitor the temperature in my house, and allow me to control the pellet stove when I am away. A nice little peace of mind, plus be able to save money in the spring and fall.

Written By: Ripley on 01/27/21 at 5:13 pm

This morning as I was in the living room reading the Washington Post, I was thinking that I may get a surprise in the mail. Of course when the mail came, there was no surprise.

Naturally, on one of the coldest day of the year, we have heating system issues. We had it set for 72 but it would only go up to maybe 71 and run and run and run and run. I upped it a bit-first 73 but the temp would only go up to 71 and run and run and... I finally set it on 74 and right now the temp is hovering somewhere between 69 & 70. I told Carlos that it is time to call someone. I think it is the thermostat but what do I know?

So he called and was told that they would call him back.

When the phone rang and the caller ID said "Cell Phone MA," Carlos answered it thinking it was the people calling him back about the heating system. (We usually don't answer the phone if we don't know the # because we get so many bogus calls.) He answered it up here in the office while I was downstairs doing the dishes in the kitchen. He came downstairs and said, "One of your old boyfriends is on the phone." WHAT??!!! HOLY CRAP! Someone who I haven't heard from in DECADES! He said that he wasn't going to talk and wanted my address and he would write to me to tell me what is going on with him. I gave it to him. So, my premonition this morning was close. (There is my E.S.P. again.) 

So now I am in total shock! And my guess is he is going to ask me for some $$$.

And we are STILL waiting for the heating people to call back.

Cat

It’s so cold here in Kansas too! I hope your heat gets fixed soon!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/27/21 at 5:17 pm

It’s so cold here in Kansas too! I hope your heat gets fixed soon!

Today it is still going and going and going but at least it is warm and we have heat. But, I'm afraid how much this is costing us in terms of electricity. (The blower runs on electric.) The guy was supposed to call us back today but he didn't.  >:( 

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/27/21 at 6:13 pm

Today it is still going and going and going but at least it is warm and we have heat. But, I'm afraid how much this is costing us in terms of electricity. (The blower runs on electric.) The guy was supposed to call us back today but he didn't.  >:( 

Cat

Well, I hope he gets back to you eventually.

'Tis cold in California as well (with more rain on the way in the next two days), but at least our heater is in good working condition.

Written By: nally on 01/27/21 at 6:14 pm

Btw, today (Wednesday) was not a work day for me because my work schedule for this week has been rearranged; I will work tomorrow instead. This is so that come Friday, when I have to do end-of-the-month duties (at the office) I will not get too swamped.

Written By: Ripley on 01/28/21 at 10:08 am

January is coming to a close after this weekend, already! 😁

Written By: karen on 01/28/21 at 10:22 am

My son James turns 19 today. I am cooking his choice of lemon meringue pie for dessert tonight. We are getting waffles delivered tomorrow night from Dolcino, a local waffle place. We would normally go out for a meal, but all restaurants are currently closed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/21 at 11:10 am

My son James turns 19 today. I am cooking his choice of lemon meringue pie for dessert tonight. We are getting waffles delivered tomorrow night from Dolcino, a local waffle place. We would normally go out for a meal, but all restaurants are currently closed.
Happy to James! The food sounds yummy. Will they be a film watched tonight, or all night karaoke, within your family bubble?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/28/21 at 1:36 pm

Happy Birthday, James. Of course, in my eyes he will ALWAYS be 9 years old.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/29/21 at 3:56 am

January is coming to a close after this weekend, already! 😁

This month has gone by quickly.  :o

Written By: karen on 01/29/21 at 10:23 am

Just got back from a long walk across town. I pick up prescriptions for a couple of people and I had one to drop off. Dai suggested walking across so the three of us went. It took an hour and a half in total.

Getting waffles and things for dinner tonight to continue James’s birthday celebration.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/29/21 at 10:38 am

Just got back from a long walk across town. I pick up prescriptions for a couple of people and I had one to drop off. Dai suggested walking across so the three of us went. It took an hour and a half in total.

Getting waffles and things for dinner tonight to continue James’s birthday celebration.

Very good. I encourage walking. Get yourself a pedometer (many phones, watches, etc have them now, or you can buy an analog one that clips onto a belt from Amazon, etc) to count your steps. Every 2000 steps is a mile.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/29/21 at 10:49 am

Happy Birthday to your son James!  :)

Written By: karen on 01/29/21 at 12:13 pm

Not doing this now as they will only do their sweet waffles via Deliveroo/Uber Eats. The full menu given online was when they were allowed to do click and collect.

We have found a nearby burger place instead, Dai is placing the order as I type

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/29/21 at 12:18 pm

Back home from U of M hospital. The hiatal hernia repair tore out. Probably around Thanksgiving. The scar tissue in the esophagus is too strong, the hernia repair can’t hold it open.

A proper esophagectomy in my case has 50% chance of failure and then being on a feeding tube for the rest of my life. So it was worth a try but I’m probably just going to have to deal with it closing up and not being able to eat. Thankfully I can go for days and not even feel hungry, must be the hunger nerve has been long since destroyed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/21 at 1:42 pm

The other day I said, "at least we have heat." Well, not so much today. The downstairs is set between 72-74 and when we got up this morning at the living room was only 65. It did go up ONE degree-66 but it is still cold. Up here, we turn on the heat and it blows out COLD air. It is warmer when the heat isn't turn on. And the repair guy is MIA. OY VEY!  (Maybe I should have posted this in the rant thread.)

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/29/21 at 7:18 pm

What a busy day at work I had today. I left the house earlier than I normally would, to give myself ample time due to potential rain...but there wasn't as much rain as I anticipated there'd be, plus the traffic situation wasn't bad.

So I got to the office at 8:15 (15 minutes before I normally start work); my boss was there, and she let me get started with work a little early. And that helped, because there was a LOT of it to do. So much that I had to stay for extra time. It was almost a quarter after 3 when I left the office... and not quite 4 when I got home.

So now I can relax for the weekend.

Written By: nally on 01/30/21 at 7:28 pm

January is coming to a close after this weekend, already!

In one sense, it seems to have flown by quickly. Why, I can remember New Years Day as if it were less than a week ago!

Written By: karen on 01/31/21 at 12:01 pm

Happy to James! The food sounds yummy. Will they be a film watched tonight, or all night karaoke, within your family bubble?

We watched The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Not exactly a fun film,  but a good watch.

Written By: karen on 01/31/21 at 12:11 pm

Very good. I encourage walking. Get yourself a pedometer (many phones, watches, etc have them now, or you can buy an analog one that clips onto a belt from Amazon, etc) to count your steps. Every 2000 steps is a mile.

We walk as much as possible. One good thing about living in the U.K. is that in a town everywhere has pavements (sidewalks). So if we don’t have any heavy things to buy we often walk into town on market days. Where we lived in the USA there were only short sections of pavement on our road so, although there was a shop, and friends living nearby, we drove everywhere.

This afternoon we went along the canal for a couple of miles and then back along the main road.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/31/21 at 12:55 pm

Back home from U of M hospital. The hiatal hernia repair tore out. Probably around Thanksgiving. The scar tissue in the esophagus is too strong, the hernia repair can’t hold it open.

A proper esophagectomy in my case has 50% chance of failure and then being on a feeding tube for the rest of my life. So it was worth a try but I’m probably just going to have to deal with it closing up and not being able to eat. Thankfully I can go for days and not even feel hungry, must be the hunger nerve has been long since destroyed.

Oh my!  :\'(  Best wishes my friend, that sounds serious.

Check for new replies or respond here...