inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It must be MAY! Whatcha doin' today?

Written By: nally on 05/01/21 at 12:37 am

A new month is upon us now (well, in most time zones), so it's time to start the new monthly thread.

Happy May 2021, everyone! http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/easter/smiley.gif

Subject: Re: It must be MAY! Whatcha doin' today?

Written By: violet_shy on 05/01/21 at 2:08 am

Happy first on the month, everyone!

Written By: Howard on 05/01/21 at 8:02 am

Happy Mayday!  :)

Written By: Wink-182 on 05/01/21 at 10:29 am

Workin' On the Weekend, I've got an eight hour shift coming up in half an hour, wish me luck! I guess this May will be quite prosperous for me on my part-time job  :P

Written By: nally on 05/01/21 at 10:32 am

^ Good for you! O0

On a related note, I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be full time in my work. I was told last month it would be on a temporary basis (and yesterday I finished my second fulltime week). It all depends on how well I catch on in my "administrative" tasks which I inherited from the Admin Assistant, who left in the middle of last month. If, by the middle of the month, I'm doing well with them, I'll stay full time; otherwise, a new Admin Assistant will be hired, and I may go back to part time (but I'm not sure of how many hours).

But I'm not going to worry too much about it right now. After all, it's the weekend; time to relax.

Written By: Howard on 05/01/21 at 2:11 pm

Workin' On the Weekend, I've got an eight hour shift coming up in half an hour, wish me luck! I guess this May will be quite prosperous for me on my part-time job  :P

Good Luck.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/21 at 2:44 pm

I read in the obits today about a guy I used to volunteer with.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  He wasn't too much older than I am but he was a really nice guy. The last time we saw him a few years ago at one of my yard sales.

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/01/21 at 11:10 pm

I read in the obits today about a guy I used to volunteer with.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  He wasn't too much older than I am but he was a really nice guy. The last time we saw him a few years ago at one of my yard sales.

Cat

Sorry to hear that he has passed on. :\'(

Written By: Howard on 05/02/21 at 7:42 am

Cat

Sorry to hear he passed away.  :\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/02/21 at 11:12 am

Cat

Sorry to hear this, Cat

Written By: karen on 05/02/21 at 2:06 pm

Cat

Sorry to hear this Cat.

Written By: karen on 05/02/21 at 2:18 pm

Yesterday afternoon I was helping at the vaccine centre. My friend Jo was helping in the morning session. I hadn’t seen her for a long time, so I was really glad to see her. About this time last year I saw her husband who told me their eldest son had had a reoccurrence of his brain tumour (his third time). I texted a couple of times but always wished I had tried harder to contact her. Embarrassed to admit I was worried the longer I didn’t speak to her that maybe her son had passed away and I didn’t know how to talk to her about this. Thankfully that hasn’t happened, her son is still receiving treatment. I could have been a better friend though.

I also saw my cousin Patricia, who was bringing my uncle Ken in for his second vaccine. It was fairly early in the session so I was able to have a quick catch up with the, both, which was nice.

Dai and I went for a walk this morning up to some local woodland to enjoy the bluebells in the sunshine. There were quite a lot of families enjoying the nice weather. Tomorrow is a holiday in the U.K., but it is supposed to be wet and windy.

This afternoon we met friends for a cuppa and a slice of cake at a cafe in town. We are still on outdoor seating only here so were glad it was a dry day. We had a nice catch up and went to the town park for a short walk before splitting up to head home.

James has his last uni exam for the year tomorrow. Then he has a couple of days before term starts. We are taking him back to Cambridge next weekend and will see Elizabeth for lunch when we drop him off.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/21 at 10:22 am

Back online, but tablet only for today.

Spent the Bank Holiday Weekend with the family bubble, and visited in cold windy weather, an Abbey city north of London.

Written By: Ripley on 05/04/21 at 12:54 pm

Going to get my second shot tomorrow.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/21 at 1:17 pm

Yay!!!

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/21 at 1:24 pm

I'm gonna have a massage this evening-first one in over a year. Not my regular massage therapist who is not ready to emerge out into the world yet. I have had couple of recommendations for this woman-including from my chiropractor. She definitely has her work cut out for her. My back feels like it is one solid knot.

Cat 

Written By: Howard on 05/04/21 at 2:12 pm

Good Luck. :)

Written By: nally on 05/04/21 at 10:55 pm

Lucky you!

Mine will come on Friday.

I have already made plans to leave the office early that day so that I can drive home, get what I need, and then go to my appointment and get it done.

Written By: nally on 05/04/21 at 10:56 pm

Back online, but tablet only for today.

Spent the Bank Holiday Weekend with the family bubble, and visited in cold windy weather, an Abbey city north of London.

O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/21 at 12:52 am

Hopefully back to normality today, nothing else happening.

Written By: nally on 05/05/21 at 11:12 pm

So, this is my third week of fulltime work in my current job (which as a whole, I've held onto for 5+ years). So far it's going pretty well, although I'm getting the hang of some of my new tasks. However, I think I may have mastered one or two such tasks. (I'm still retaining my accounting duties.)

Written By: karen on 05/07/21 at 2:21 pm

Today was non-uniform day at school. It was suggested that we could wear Indian influenced clothing as the purpose was to raise money for Action Aid India - to buy essential medical supplies.

I went into town on Wednesday to a charity shop I know often has Indian (and other non-British) clothing. I got a long line  top, paired it with my own leggings, sandals, bright scarf, and some Indian earrings I have.

Tomorrow we are taking James back to uni for the summer term. We are meeting Elizabeth for lunch. Fingers crossed the weather holds - there is rain predicted during the day and the current rules prevent indoor dining.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/21 at 2:29 pm

Today was non-uniform day at school. It was suggested that we could wear Indian influenced clothing as the purpose was to raise money for Action Aid India - to buy essential medical supplies.

I went into town on Wednesday to a charity shop I know often has Indian (and other non-British) clothing. I got a long line  top, paired it with my own leggings, sandals, bright scarf, and some Indian earrings I have.

Tomorrow we are taking James back to uni for the summer term. We are meeting Elizabeth for lunch. Fingers crossed the weather holds - there is rain predicted during the day and the current rules prevent indoor dining.

Pic?

Cat

Written By: karen on 05/07/21 at 2:36 pm

Pic?

Cat

No one took one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/21 at 2:38 pm

No one took one.
Sari, no photos... ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/21 at 3:09 pm

Sari, no photos... ;D

Boo, hiss.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/07/21 at 6:33 pm

Got my 2nd covid shot this afternoon!! So far I haven't felt any side effects yet (of course, it's been just over an hour).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/21 at 6:52 pm

Got my 2nd covid shot this afternoon!! So far I haven't felt any side effects yet (of course, it's been just over an hour).

YAY!!!!  Welcome to the herd.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/08/21 at 8:39 am

Good For You. :)

Written By: karen on 05/08/21 at 8:51 am

James had his yesterday. He said his arm felt a bit sore this morning when he stretched it up.

Written By: karen on 05/08/21 at 10:12 am

Pic?

Cat

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=25106.msg4027390#msg4027390

I took a selfie

Written By: karen on 05/08/21 at 11:00 am

The restaurant phoned a couple of hours before our table was booked to say they weren’t opening because of the weather. It wasn’t actually raining at the time we should have been seated but it was showery.

Anyway we were able to see Elizabeth briefly. She says her life is currently consists of revising for her finals and coxing the college men’s rowing team. Thankfully her boyfriend is in the team otherwise they probably wouldn’t really see each other.

We tried to encourage James to get out and about when he is allowed so he can make a few more friends and contacts on his course and in college. Hoping for a good term for him.

Written By: nally on 05/08/21 at 3:53 pm

James had his yesterday. He said his arm felt a bit sore this morning when he stretched it up.

My arm is a bit sore right now as well. But I was kinda expecting that.

Written By: nally on 05/09/21 at 11:16 am

My arm is a bit sore right now as well. But I was kinda expecting that.

Also, I did experience some side effects, especially fever. But I took two tylenols and that helped.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/09/21 at 12:07 pm

Sunny and 50f. About time after all the cold and rain. Working on some touch up paint on my wagon. Taking it to a show in June.

Written By: nally on 05/09/21 at 12:09 pm

Gonna take my mom out for Mother's Day. It'll be the first time in 14 months that we'll be setting foot in a restaurant for dine-in.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/21 at 1:20 pm

Gonna take my mom out for Mother's Day. It'll be the first time in 14 months that we'll be setting foot in a restaurant for dine-in.

Enjoy your Mother's Day with your Mom.  :)

Written By: nally on 05/09/21 at 11:44 pm

Enjoy your Mother's Day with your Mom.  :)

Thanks! She has enjoyed her day very much. O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/21 at 12:25 am

We had Mother's Day in the UK back in March.

Due to restrictions restaurants are open, but for the eating outdoors or takeaway only.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/21 at 12:26 am

Excellent!

Written By: Howard on 05/10/21 at 8:12 am

Thanks! She has enjoyed her day very much. O0

Wonderful. :)

Written By: nally on 05/11/21 at 12:07 am

And today (Monday) was a productive day at work. I'm sure tomorrow will also be.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/21 at 9:20 am

A peaceful at home being safe.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/21 at 1:58 pm

My Father And I are still waiting from a call from my Union Rep to make an appointment with Human Resources, hopefully either Thursday Or Friday.

Written By: karen on 05/11/21 at 2:16 pm

My Father And I are still waiting from a call from my Union Rep to make an appointment with Human Resources, hopefully either Thursday Or Friday.

I don’t get why it is taking so long

Written By: Howard on 05/12/21 at 8:28 am

I don’t get why it is taking so long

Either the guy must've forgotten to call back, I think My Father might need to follow up, see what's going on with Human Resources.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/21 at 9:31 am

Either the guy must've forgotten to call back, I think My Father might need to follow up, see what's going on with Human Resources.
Are you chasing them up?

Written By: Howard on 05/12/21 at 2:36 pm

Are you chasing them up?

My Father will have to follow up again either he can e-mail or give him a call to leave him a message which I probably think that he won't get back to us soon.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/12/21 at 2:56 pm

My Father will have to follow up again either he can e-mail or give him a call to leave him a message which I probably think that he won't get back to us soon.

Are you still working?

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/13/21 at 7:55 am

Are you still working?

Cat

Nope Cat, I'm still unemployed, I have no money coming in unless this stimulus is coming soon to build up my bank account, but right now I have money to pay bills at the moment but what would actually happen when it goes down further.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/13/21 at 1:18 pm

Nope Cat, I'm still unemployed, I have no money coming in unless this stimulus is coming soon to build up my bank account, but right now I have money to pay bills  at the moment but what would actually happen when it goes down further.

So they fired you? Or are you on "administration leave" until they decide?

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/13/21 at 2:26 pm

So they fired you? Or are you on "administration leave" until they decide?

Cat

When My Father was in that meeting that morning along with my Union Rep, the manager said that I was "terminated" in front of My Father and after that they had to review the meeting, look at the camera footage and My Union Rep had to see what the next step will be for me, The next step is to have a meeting with Human Resources and to receive Unemployment checks but My Father is a bit worried that he won't call and so am I, You really can't trust anyone to call you back these days, I understand people are busy and all but at least give us a call to let us know when they'll set up a meeting, this waiting is getting ridiculous, you know what I mean, Cat?

Written By: Elor on 05/14/21 at 2:38 pm

My advice would be to apply for new jobs now. If you're really terminated you're losing time right now waiting for the result. If your not terminated you can always cancel any job interview or even new job.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/21 at 3:13 pm

I had a bunch of (antique) books that are not really worth too much. Several months ago, I put 7 boxes outside (along with 3 old suitcases) with a sign that said "Free." 3 boxes (and 3 suitcases) came back. Last month, I put out 3 boxes and 3 suitcases. 2 boxes and 3 suitcases came back.

I had been waiting for a stretch of nice weather. I don't want to put books out if it is going to rain. Today it looked nice so I put out 2 boxes (not just books but also old kitchenware that I want to get rid of) and 3 suitcases. I told Carlos that I don't know why I was going to put out those suitcases because no one wants them. I have tried to get him to take them to the dump I don't know how many times. I figured I would put them out anyway. They were out there for maybe an hour or so when I looked out and there was only ONE box and NO suitcases!  :o :o :o  SOMEONE TOOK THEM!!! YAY!!!!  But, then it started to sprinkle a little so the last box of books is on the porch. I don't know when I can put it back out and hopefully that will go away, too.

LESS CRAP STUFF IN MY HOUSE!!! YAY!!!!!!

Now, I'm debating whether to have a yard sale this month or not. The only time I can do it will be Memorial Day weekend. But, who knows about the weather. I hate to start getting ready and then not have it because of the weather. If I can't have it that weekend, I wouldn't be able to have it until at least August. I am just itching to have a yard sale since I didn't have one last year. I just want to get rid of crap stuff. It is going down but I still have WAY too much. This is mostly inventory of our "buy junk & sell antiques" business that we are no longer doing. So, yard sales are the only way for me to get rid of it all. When we moved in here 7 years ago, we couldn't even get into the garage. Now, you can walk to the back wall. It still is a work in progress.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/14/21 at 3:25 pm

When My Father was in that meeting that morning along with my Union Rep, the manager said that I was "terminated" in front of My Father and after that they had to review the meeting, look at the camera footage and My Union Rep had to see what the next step will be for me, The next step is to have a meeting with Human Resources and to receive Unemployment checks but My Father is a bit worried that he won't call and so am I, You really can't trust anyone to call you back these days, I understand people are busy and all but at least give us a call to let us know when they'll set up a meeting, this waiting is getting ridiculous, you know what I mean, Cat?

I'm confused. The human resources departments of companies don't give unemployment checks, the state does. You need to apply for it. If I were you I'd do that now. The federal government is still giving that Covid aid of $300 on top of whatever you would be getting from unemployment anyway.  But I don't know for how much longer. Perhaps what the human resources department will give you is a one time severance check. (Or sometimes severance checks are strung out across several checks like a salary). But you should still apply for unemployment.

Written By: nally on 05/14/21 at 8:10 pm

My advice would be to apply for new jobs now. If you're really terminated you're losing time right now waiting for the result. If your not terminated you can always cancel any job interview or even new job.

Good advice. O0

About 5 1/2 years ago I was terminated in a bookkeeping position after only a month and a half in it, due to things not working out as planned. (To make a long story short, it wasn't the right fit for me.) However, not long after that door closed, a new one opened when one of the applications I made resulted in an interview opportunity. And that worked out well.

Written By: nally on 05/14/21 at 8:12 pm

I had a bunch of (antique) books that are not really worth too much. Several months ago, I put 7 boxes outside (along with 3 old suitcases) with a sign that said "Free." 3 boxes (and 3 suitcases) came back. Last month, I put out 3 boxes and 3 suitcases. 2 boxes and 3 suitcases came back.

I had been waiting for a stretch of nice weather. I don't want to put books out if it is going to rain. Today it looked nice so I put out 2 boxes (not just books but also old kitchenware that I want to get rid of) and 3 suitcases. I told Carlos that I don't know why I was going to put out those suitcases because no one wants them. I have tried to get him to take them to the dump I don't know how many times. I figured I would put them out anyway. They were out there for maybe an hour or so when I looked out and there was only ONE box and NO suitcases!  :o :o :o  SOMEONE TOOK THEM!!! YAY!!!!  But, then it started to sprinkle a little so the last box of books is on the porch. I don't know when I can put it back out and hopefully that will go away, too.

LESS CRAP STUFF IN MY HOUSE!!! YAY!!!!!!

Now, I'm debating whether to have a yard sale this month or not. The only time I can do it will be Memorial Day weekend. But, who knows about the weather. I hate to start getting ready and then not have it because of the weather. If I can't have it that weekend, I wouldn't be able to have it until at least August. I am just itching to have a yard sale since I didn't have one last year. I just want to get rid of crap stuff. It is going down but I still have WAY too much. This is mostly inventory of our "buy junk & sell antiques" business that we are no longer doing. So, yard sales are the only way for me to get rid of it all. When we moved in here 7 years ago, we couldn't even get into the garage. Now, you can walk to the back wall. It still is a work in progress.

Cat

Awesome!! O0

We have crap stuff in our home (especially in the garage) that we want to get rid of, but we don't know how we're gonna go about doing so as of yet.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/15/21 at 7:27 am

Awesome!! O0

We have crap stuff in our home (especially in the garage) that we want to get rid of, but we don't know how we're gonna go about doing so as of yet.

We have the yearly spring cleanup (free roadside junk removal) in a month or so. So I’ve been working at sorting out some stuff in the garage.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/21 at 7:46 am

But then what happens with The Union Rep?  ???

Written By: Howard on 05/15/21 at 7:48 am

I'm confused. The human resources departments of companies don't give unemployment checks, the state does. You need to apply for it. If I were you I'd do that now. The federal government is still giving that Covid aid of $300 on top of whatever you would be getting from unemployment anyway.  But I don't know for how much longer. Perhaps what the human resources department will give you is a one time severance check. (Or sometimes severance checks are strung out across several checks like a salary). But you should still apply for unemployment.

I will look into that.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/15/21 at 8:09 am

You keep your appointments with the union rep while at the same time looking for a new job.  If you get a new job you don't need the union rep anymore. In the meanwhile, apply for unemployment through your local unemployment office. (The process starts online). When seeking a new job, one must do all things at once. One of them will pan out.

Written By: Elor on 05/15/21 at 9:52 am

What about him? If he finds a job for you great. If you find one before him even better. Main thing is to get you into a job ASAP. Don't just rely on others finding something for you. It also looks better to a potential new employer if you try to get hired on your own initiative and not just because the union rep dragged you there.

Written By: karen on 05/15/21 at 11:04 am

I think unions must be run differently in the US.

In the U.K. my union rep would support me in a dispute at work (even if my workplace didn’t recognise the union for pay negotiations etc). But if I was legitimately terminated then I would be on my own in terms of claiming unemployment benefit or getting another job. Plus if I was sacked it would be at least 13 weeks before I could claim any benefits.

Written By: karen on 05/15/21 at 11:07 am

Dai has gone up north for the week, partly to check on the house (and we thought to sort out the kitchen) and partly to help at a couple of orienteering coaching things.

I have just got back from an orienteering event here in a large park on the edge of a nearby city.

Tomorrow I am helping out with a school walking activity. Year 9 are doing some training for their Bronze Duke of Edinburgh award.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/15/21 at 2:07 pm

Awesome!! O0

Two words: Yard Sale!

For help with that, I would suggest reading this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1530067219/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1530067219&linkCode=as2&tag=toysofanother-20&linkId=807d6c7cdc2d1796d22f789b34daa36a

A lot of helpful hints. It helped me a lot.

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/15/21 at 2:24 pm

Two words: Yard Sale!

For help with that, I would suggest reading this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1530067219/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1530067219&linkCode=as2&tag=toysofanother-20&linkId=807d6c7cdc2d1796d22f789b34daa36a

A lot of helpful hints. It helped me a lot.

Cat

Thanks, that might be helpful. O0

On the other hand, some of our things we want to get rid of, may or may not be sellable. I suppose it also may depend on what time of year we finally get around to doing it.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/21 at 2:28 pm

You keep your appointments with the union rep while at the same time looking for a new job.  If you get a new job you don't need the union rep anymore. In the meanwhile, apply for unemployment through your local unemployment office. (The process starts online). When seeking a new job, one must do all things at once. One of them will pan out.

Thanks, I will look into that.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/21 at 2:31 pm

What about him? If he finds a job for you great. If you find one before him even better. Main thing is to get you into a job ASAP. Don't just rely on others finding something for you. It also looks better to a potential new employer if you try to get hired on your own initiative and not just because the union rep dragged you there.

I've been relying on others for a long time, it's like putting my life into other's hands.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/15/21 at 2:49 pm

Thanks, that might be helpful. O0

On the other hand, some of our things we want to get rid of, may or may not be sellable. I suppose it also may depend on what time of year we finally get around to doing it.

You never know. A lot also depends on the price. If you try to overprice something, it's not gonna sell. I have done that more times than I can say. I have also made the mistake of underpricing some things because I just wanted to get rid of them. I always try to price things just a little over what I am willing to accept. That way there is some bargaining room and people think they are getting a good price. But not to go TOO high because then people will just walk away. (I have seen that.)

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/16/21 at 4:40 pm

I've been relying on others for a long time, it's like putting my life into other's hands.

I'm sure you could learn to do certain things independently. Yes, we all need help at times, but there comes a point in time where we gotta take our own initiative.

Heck, I've relied on others for a good part of my life, but I've been able to do certain things on my own. In fact, I've taken care of the house on my own on occasions when my parents have been away for over a week. This has helped me to gain independence skills.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/21 at 7:33 am

I'm sure you could learn to do certain things independently. Yes, we all need help at times, but there comes a point in time where we gotta take our own initiative.

Heck, I've relied on others for a good part of my life, but I've been able to do certain things on my own. In fact, I've taken care of the house on my own on occasions when my parents have been away for over a week. This has helped me to gain independence skills.

Now that My Parents are older I've been trying to take care of some chores around the house such as watering the lawn, mopping the floor, taking care of the trash and some other stuff that needs to be tended to.

Written By: nally on 05/17/21 at 7:40 pm

Now that My Parents are older I've been trying to take care of some chores around the house such as watering the lawn, mopping the floor, taking care of the trash and some other stuff that needs to be tended to.

I've been doing those things for most of my adult life.

Written By: nally on 05/17/21 at 7:41 pm

So, I've been fulltime for just about a month now. It is going well, although it does have its challenges. But I am good at budgeting my time so I get things done.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/21 at 7:20 am

Just when I was thinking of going out again,
I noticed that it has started to rain.
Now stay indoors, be safe and dry,
Have a cup of tea, a good reason why.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/21 at 8:11 am

This may be good news or not, I have an appointment at a King Kullen supermarket on Thursday at 1130am, this may or may not be good news but we'll have to see what happens, That King Kullen used to be Pathmark before it went bankrupt in 2010 then The Union moved me to Pathmark which is now a Stop N Shop since 2015 on Atlantic Avenue.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/18/21 at 8:32 am

This may be good news or not, I have an appointment at a King Kullen supermarket on Thursday at 1130am, this may or may not be good news but we'll have to see what happens, That King Kullen used to be Pathmark before it went bankrupt in 2010 then The Union moved me to Pathmark which is now a Stop N Shop since 2015 on Atlantic Avenue.

This is indeed good news. It's always a smart move for a job seeker to go on all the job interviews they can.

By the way, a great tip for people looking for a job is go on any interview that presents itself. Even if you're not interested in the job or it's an interview for a job you're certain you won't get. It's great practice so you'll be on top of your game for the interview with the job you DO want.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/21 at 8:36 am

Hopefully good news indeed.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/21 at 1:53 pm

This is indeed good news. It's always a smart move for a job seeker to go on all the job interviews they can.

By the way, a great tip for people looking for a job is go on any interview that presents itself. Even if you're not interested in the job or it's an interview for a job you're certain you won't get. It's great practice so you'll be on top of your game for the interview with the job you DO want.

The Union Guy called yesterday and he told My Father on the phone that there is a meeting most likely with the manager of King Kullen on Thursday at 1130am so we'll see what happens. I was suspended for a month and My Father And I were waiting patiently for a phone call from Human Resources or The Union Guy to set up a meeting with the both of them but I guess that didn't happen so maybe this is good news, not sure what to expect but I may be pleasantly surprised.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/21 at 1:54 pm

Hopefully good news indeed.

Thanks. :)

Written By: Ripley on 05/18/21 at 5:09 pm

Good look Howard!

Written By: nally on 05/18/21 at 8:03 pm

That definitely seems like a step in the right direction. O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/21 at 2:45 am

The clouds are grey,
Will it be a day,
For seeing friends and talking.
My face in a frown,
With rain pouring down,
It is not a day for walking!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/19/21 at 8:07 am

Howard, I hope this goes well!  Keep us posted.  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/19/21 at 8:18 am

Good look Howard!

Thanks Ripley. :)

Written By: Howard on 05/19/21 at 8:19 am

Howard, I hope this goes well!  Keep us posted.  :)

Thank You AG, I hope it turns out well.  :)

Written By: karen on 05/19/21 at 11:16 am

First aid for outdoor activity leaders today at work.

A bit tricky putting a sling on yourself after bandaging your hand. We also did new procedures for CPR if you don’t have any PPE available to you.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/21 at 2:04 pm

Tomorrow's the day, I will let you guys know what happens then. :)

Written By: nally on 05/19/21 at 8:03 pm

Good luck!

Written By: nally on 05/19/21 at 8:04 pm

Tomorrow I'll be having a partial day at work. This is because I have an appointment for skin surgery at 4pm PDT, to remove a growth on the top of my head that was determined to be a cyst. The procedure is expected to take less than a half-hour.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/19/21 at 10:34 pm

Tomorrow I'll be having a partial day at work. This is because I have an appointment for skin surgery at 4pm PDT, to remove a growth on the top of my head that was determined to be a cyst. The procedure is expected to take less than a half-hour.

Hope the procedure goes well, Jeffrey!  :)

Written By: nally on 05/19/21 at 10:52 pm

Hope the procedure goes well, Jeffrey!  :)

thank you. I sorta discovered it last year, and hadn't been able to make an appointment to visit a doctor about it for a while because of the covid pandemic. But I finally made an in-person visit a couple months ago; the doctor looked at it, and then referred me to a general surgeon...who in turn examined it last month. At first I thought it was just a bump...but when it wouldn't go away I realized I needed to have it looked at.

So, tomorrow at this time it'll be all gone.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/21 at 7:36 am

Good luck.

If any thing has still to be said, have you rehearsed what you are going to say?

Written By: Howard on 05/20/21 at 7:48 am

Good luck!

Thanks.  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/20/21 at 7:50 am

Good luck.

If any thing has still to be said, have you rehearsed what you are going to say?

Yes, I have it in my head and plus I will bring a notebook just in case I want to write down some things that he/she might say that could be important.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/21 at 7:51 am

Good Luck.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/21 at 2:58 pm

This wasn't good news but hopefully it will turn out to be good soon, met the Union Rep at The Stop N Shop to fill out a letter of resignation from the company and told the guy what I did and then I told him that it was my fault, I hold all responsibility for what I committed and after that I told him that I didn't want to into The Shame Room to review the evidence with him cause it's too embarrassing so that was that, The Union Rep told me that I can go and fill out an application to King Kullen and file for Unemployment for the time being so ends my nearly 15 years with the company.    :(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/20/21 at 3:37 pm

This wasn't good news but hopefully it will turn out to be good soon, met the Union Rep at The Stop N Shop to fill out a letter of resignation from the company and told the guy what I did and then I told him that it was my fault, I hold all responsibility for what I committed and after that I told him that I didn't want to into The Shame Room to review the evidence with him cause it's too embarrassing so that was that, The Union Rep told me that I can go and fill out an application to King Kullen and file for Unemployment for the time being so ends my nearly 15 years with the company.    :(

Well at least that's over and you can move ahead decisively. File for unemployment immediately. For the time being that extra $300 benefit due to Covid is still in place, but I don't know for how long.

A new chapter in your life has begun! I'm sure it feels funny now (it usually does when somebody loses a job of long standing) but you will feel better in the long run. View this as an adventure.

Written By: nally on 05/20/21 at 5:26 pm

Yes, I have it in my head and plus I will bring a notebook just in case I want to write down some things that he/she might say that could be important.

Good planning. O0

Well, there you go. At least you know where to go now.

Written By: nally on 05/20/21 at 5:28 pm

Good Luck.

Thanks. I left the office an hour ago, drove home, got freshened up a bit...and in just a few minutes time I'll be leaving the house again to go get the operation done. I have confidence it'll go well.

After it's done, hopefully I'll get instructions as to what I need to do next (maybe avoid getting my head wet too soon).

Written By: nally on 05/21/21 at 12:27 am

Thanks. I left the office an hour ago, drove home, got freshened up a bit...and in just a few minutes time I'll be leaving the house again to go get the operation done. I have confidence it'll go well.

After it's done, hopefully I'll get instructions as to what I need to do next (maybe avoid getting my head wet too soon).

It went successfully.

I arrived at the doctor's office a good 10 minutes before my appointment so I could check in. But the surgeon didn't actually start the procedure until a quarter after 4. He numbed the area where the cyst was, then did what needed to be done in order to remove it. Twenty minutes later, the removal was done; then he put a sealer on top so that it wouldn't bleed. He said it was okay to get it wet (because I will need to shower in the morning). Then I needed to schedule a followup appointment for removal of the stitches; that will be done in two weeks' time.

Right now, I still feel a little bit of swelling, but that's to be expected after a surgery, even an outpatient operation (as this was). I should be fine to go to work in the morning.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/21 at 5:39 am

It went successfully.

I arrived at the doctor's office a good 10 minutes before my appointment so I could check in. But the surgeon didn't actually start the procedure until a quarter after 4. He numbed the area where the cyst was, then did what needed to be done in order to remove it. Twenty minutes later, the removal was done; then he put a sealer on top so that it wouldn't bleed. He said it was okay to get it wet (because I will need to shower in the morning). Then I needed to schedule a followup appointment for removal of the stitches; that will be done in two weeks' time.

Right now, I still feel a little bit of swelling, but that's to be expected after a surgery, even an outpatient operation (as this was). I should be fine to go to work in the morning.
Good to hear, and take good care.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/21 at 8:28 am

Well at least that's over and you can move ahead decisively. File for unemployment immediately. For the time being that extra $300 benefit due to Covid is still in place, but I don't know for how long.

A new chapter in your life has begun! I'm sure it feels funny now (it usually does when somebody loses a job of long standing) but you will feel better in the long run. View this as an adventure.

Thanks Voice, my mind feels a bit crazy right now just being around the house for the time being after losing my job for something stupid I did, I want to try to move on and get back into the swing of things like they always say, I also want to see if I can fill out applications to supermarkets as a cart handler cause that's an easy job that I know how to do, I will try King Kullen and/or maybe a few others but I doubt that I'm going to get hired after what I did in Stop N Shop.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/21 at 8:29 am

It went successfully.

Good to hear. :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/21/21 at 8:39 am

Thanks Voice, my mind feels a bit crazy right now just being around the house for the time being after losing my job for something stupid I did, I want to try to move on and get back into the swing of things like they always say, I also want to see if I can fill out applications to supermarkets as a cart handler cause that's an easy job that I know how to do, I will try King Kullen and/or maybe a few others but I doubt that I'm going to get hired after what I did in Stop N Shop.

You don't TELL them what you did at Stop & Shop for heaven's sake, and neither will Stop & Shop if your potential employer calls for a reference. Previous employers are only required by law to confirm dates of employment. And unless they are REAL jerks, they are not going to give you a bad reference. At best they'll give a noncommittal one. When they ask you at interviews why you left Stop & Shop you say "it was time to move on, I'd gone as far as I could go there". If they counter with "well, it's the same job here" you say "I wanted something new, someplace I could grow". It's a big game and the interviewer knows it's a big game. There are plenty of websites and resources of what to say in interviews if your parting from your last job was less than great. You had the same job for fifteen years, that's a great track record in this day and age and that's what you want to emphasize in interviews.

By the way, what on Earth is the "Shame Room"? If you ask me, you're lucky to be out of that place.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/21 at 1:38 pm

Bragging time:

Our granddaughter is a finalist in the High Tide Student Film Festival that is sponsored by the Aquarium of the Pacific. She made an animated film (that she HAND DREW) and she narrated it with a poem she wrote.

Needless to say, her grandparents are super proud of her.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/21 at 1:41 pm

Bragging time:

Our granddaughter is a finalist in the High Tide Student Film Festival that is sponsored by the Aquarium of the Pacific. She made an animated film (that she HAND DREW) and she narrated it with a poem she wrote.

Needless to say, her grandparents are super proud of her.

Cat
Potential Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/21 at 1:42 pm

Potential Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film?

Who knows.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/21/21 at 2:37 pm

You don't TELL them what you did at Stop & Shop for heaven's sake, and neither will Stop & Shop if your potential employer calls for a reference. Previous employers are only required by law to confirm dates of employment. And unless they are REAL jerks, they are not going to give you a bad reference. At best they'll give a noncommittal one. When they ask you at interviews why you left Stop & Shop you say "it was time to move on, I'd gone as far as I could go there". If they counter with "well, it's the same job here" you say "I wanted something new, someplace I could grow". It's a big game and the interviewer knows it's a big game. There are plenty of websites and resources of what to say in interviews if your parting from your last job was less than great. You had the same job for fifteen years, that's a great track record in this day and age and that's what you want to emphasize in interviews.

By the way, what on Earth is the "Shame Room"? If you ask me, you're lucky to be out of that place.

Thanks Voice, I will try King Kullen and other supermarkets around me and if one of them says no then I will keep on trying, I don't want to stay home and vegetate, I'm nearing 50 years of age and I don't mind being a cart handler doing the same job, doesn't bother me at all, I want to work and make money that's what I want to do, the transportation at the other place was horrible but King Kullen by bus is much better when I was there before it was Pathmark took less time.

I think A "Shame Room" is a small room where they take you to and you can decline to watch or engage (it's your decision) in your embarrassing situation and I said No, Thank You cause I don't want to watch myself on television.

Written By: nally on 05/21/21 at 10:00 pm

Good to hear, and take good care.

Good to hear. :)

Thanks guys. O0

I went to work this morning and carried out my duties normally. My boss even asked how my operation went, and I told her that it went very well; she was glad to hear that everything was good. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/22/21 at 6:36 am

Remember to file for unemployment if you haven’t already.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/21 at 7:07 am

Remember to file for unemployment if you haven’t already.

My Father did it for me but I will still try many different supermarkets associated with Local 1500 and we'll see what happens.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/22/21 at 8:29 am

My Father did it for me but I will still try many different supermarkets associated with Local 1500 and we'll see what happens.

Good. You are doing all the right things. And remember, not a word to potential employers about why you left your previous employer. Emphasize your years of service to them and that "it was time to move on to new opportunities". If a job you apply for is closer to where you live than your previous one you could also say "I was looking for something closer to lessen my commute". Be creative!

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/22/21 at 9:48 am

Good. You are doing all the right things. And remember, not a word to potential employers about why you left your previous employer. Emphasize your years of service to them and that "it was time to move on to new opportunities". If a job you apply for is closer to where you live than your previous one you could also say "I was looking for something closer to lessen my commute". Be creative!

Good advice.  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/21 at 1:39 pm

There was a house fire around the corner from us yesterday. A family with 3 young kids are ok but they lost EVERYTHING-including 5 dogs and a cat. They just bought the house 2 years ago. Our handyman lives next door. We heard that his house was involved but we don't know as to the extent of the damage. Don't know if he can still stay in the house or not. The sad part was that he just lost his mother a few weeks ago-and now this.

There is a gofundme for the family.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/22/21 at 2:29 pm

Thank You Voice, Just this morning I went to King Kullen to apply for a job as a cart handler and asked for a job application, I will fill it out and see what happens.

So what if they want to check up on the previous employer, would they say that?  ???

Then if I can't get a job then I will wind up back on disability which I don't to be on. :(

Written By: nally on 05/22/21 at 3:00 pm

There was a house fire around the corner from us yesterday. A family with 3 young kids are ok but they lost EVERYTHING-including 5 dogs and a cat. They just bought the house 2 years ago. Our handyman lives next door. We heard that his house was involved but we don't know as to the extent of the damage. Don't know if he can still stay in the house or not. The sad part was that he just lost his mother a few weeks ago-and now this.

Cat

Wow. Very sad. :\'( Sorry to hear of this.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/22/21 at 3:38 pm

Thank You Voice, Just this morning I went to King Kullen to apply for a job as a cart handler and asked for a job application, I will fill it out and see what happens.

So what if they want to check up on the previous employer, would they say that?  ???

Then if I can't get a job then I will wind up back on disability which I don't to be on. :(

Everybody is having a hard time finding people lately, so that will help.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/22/21 at 10:46 pm

Working on my Jeep now that winter is over, it can have some downtime. The water pump was essential, it had been clattering. But it’s like while I got it apart I might as well fix other things.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/21 at 6:56 am

Everybody is having a hard time finding people lately, so that will help.

I just want to work and make money.

Written By: karen on 05/23/21 at 10:40 am

Cat

Wow. Hope they all get fixed up with accommodation quickly

Written By: karen on 05/23/21 at 10:42 am

They might contact your previous employer. I hope that Stop and Shop will just confirm your work dates. I think you said they let you resign, so I take that as a positive sign they want to help you move on.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/21 at 1:50 pm

They might contact your previous employer. I hope that Stop and Shop will just confirm your work dates. I think you said they let you resign, so I take that as a positive sign they want to help you move on.

Yes, I was with the Union Rep just a few days ago to write a "letter of resignation" and that was that. I went to King Kullen yesterday to ask to fill out an application and this morning I went to Key Food but he didn't have any openings for cart retrieval and no job applications so I left him with my name, email and cell number so he can contact me if something happens to come up in the near future.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/21 at 7:51 am

Tomorrow I will try Fairway Supermarket and see what happens, altogether I have tried 2 supermarkets associated with The Local 1500 and tomorrow will make it 3, after that I will take a chance to see who will call me first.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/24/21 at 11:54 am

We called our painter/friend yesterday. He lives across the street from the house that burned down and our handyman works with him. He told us that the handyman is pissed at the guy who just lost his house-blaming the damage to his house on him. The painter is trying to convince the handyman that the guy lost EVERYTHING and the handyman is ok as well as much of his house.

The painter also told us that he was the one who called 911 as he saw it happen. He also saw the dogs in the window and tried to get to them but it was too late.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  He also told us that the heat was intense and his hedges protected his house.

We donated to the gofundme. The painter told us that he gave the guy some cash that day for a motel. It is amazing how my little town is coming together for a family. I'm sure that many people who have donated (including us) don't even know the family. It is just the right thing to do.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/24/21 at 6:55 pm

Tomorrow I will try Fairway Supermarket and see what happens, altogether I have tried 2 supermarkets associated with The Local 1500 and tomorrow will make it 3, after that I will take a chance to see who will call me first.

Keep working your hustle, Howard.  8)

Written By: nally on 05/24/21 at 10:17 pm

I am officially full-time in my current job now!! :) :D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/24/21 at 10:45 pm

Cat

Very sad to hear this  :\'(

Written By: kr37 on 05/24/21 at 10:46 pm

Congratulations!  :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/24/21 at 10:46 pm

Great news!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/24/21 at 10:47 pm

O0 We're all pulling for you, Howard!

Written By: nally on 05/24/21 at 11:49 pm

Congratulations!  :)

Great news!

Thank you both.

Now let me elaborate. Even though I started a full-time stint five weeks ago, that was a trial run. I was going to be reevaluated at the end of one month. And this morning I was reevaluated. My boss is pleased with how I'm handling the administrative tasks. She asked me if I'd like to stick with them on a long-term basis (while preserving my original accounting duties, some of which have expanded over time)...and I wasn't sure at first, so I said take some time I'd think about it. I eventually decided in favor of doing so, since it has helped me learn new skills, and what's more, I'd get benefits for being full time. Besides, I've been working for this company for 5+ years now. Furthermore, my goal was to eventually get full time work.

So now I will get benefits, which will include paid holidays and vacation time.

Written By: Elor on 05/25/21 at 5:29 am

You don't get vacation time when working part time in the US? :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/21 at 5:34 am

Thank you both.

Now let me elaborate. Even though I started a full-time stint five weeks ago, that was a trial run. I was going to be reevaluated at the end of one month. And this morning I was reevaluated. My boss is pleased with how I'm handling the administrative tasks. She asked me if I'd like to stick with them on a long-term basis (while preserving my original accounting duties, some of which have expanded over time)...and I wasn't sure at first, so I said take some time I'd think about it. I eventually decided in favor of doing so, since it has helped me learn new skills, and what's more, I'd get benefits for being full time. Besides, I've been working for this company for 5+ years now. Furthermore, my goal was to eventually get full time work.

So now I will get benefits, which will include paid holidays and vacation time.
Congrats!

Written By: Howard on 05/25/21 at 8:02 am

Keep working your hustle, Howard.  8)

Thanks LB I will put getting the job application on hold for a day or two so as I can get my medications for my gum surgery that I had yesterday.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/21 at 8:02 am

Congratulations. :)

Written By: Howard on 05/25/21 at 8:05 am

O0 We're all pulling for you, Howard!

Thanks I'm really trying to get myself back to work, don't want to keep getting unemployment benefits for much too long, I tried King Kullen, Key Food and maybe tomorrow I will try Fairway.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/21 at 8:06 am

When I was working I got 20 hours paid vacation time.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/25/21 at 10:45 am

It depends 100% on the employer's terms - sometimes yes, sometimes no.  There is a degree of govt. regulation in regards to full time workers, but not so much for part time.  (I know b/c I spent several years working part time - I worked enough hours according to my company to qualify for benefits, vacation time etc.; had I dropped below 20 hours per week then no benefits for me - that's even assuming the company would allow me to work a schedule like that in my position.)

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/25/21 at 11:22 am

My ex has worked full time plus OT for McDonald’s for 9 years and counting. Zero vacation time.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/21 at 2:04 pm

It depends 100% on the employer's terms - sometimes yes, sometimes no.  There is a degree of govt. regulation in regards to full time workers, but not so much for part time.  (I know b/c I spent several years working part time - I worked enough hours according to my company to qualify for benefits, vacation time etc.; had I dropped below 20 hours per week then no benefits for me - that's even assuming the company would allow me to work a schedule like that in my position.)

When I was working I worked between 20-25 hours a week and I got 20 hours paid vacation which is about 2 weeks so we'd schedule our vacation after your anniversary of being there.

Written By: nally on 05/25/21 at 8:07 pm

I don't get paid vacation time, that's all. In all the times when I took a vacay, I had to make up the time on days that I wasn't scheduled to work.

Written By: nally on 05/25/21 at 10:53 pm

Yeah, I was under 20 hours per week for my first 5 years at this company. I started out with 2 days per week, at 5 1/2 hours a day, then it expanded to 3 days per week with the same number of hours per day. Now it's a whole week!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/21 at 12:36 am

With the rising cases (in London borough) of the Indian variant, with my shopping done for  a few days, and a good walk yesterday, I will stay in and be safe.

Written By: karen on 05/26/21 at 1:20 am

I don't get paid vacation time, that's all. In all the times when I took a vacay, I had to make up the time on days that I wasn't scheduled to work.

Elor’s point is that in Europe if you are contracted to work regular hours, even part time hours, you would get some paid time off.

Written By: nally on 05/26/21 at 1:34 am

Elor’s point is that in Europe if you are contracted to work regular hours, even part time hours, you would get some paid time off.

I understand that. It's just different across the Pond.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/21 at 6:50 am

I'm going to try Food Bazaar and then maybe take a break cause so far I tried King Kullen, Key Food and now Food Bazaar Supermarkets.

Written By: karen on 05/26/21 at 7:33 am

I understand that. It's just different across the Pond.

But do you think it should be that way or would you prefer paid time off if possible?

Written By: karen on 05/26/21 at 7:36 am

I'm going to try Fairway and then maybe take a break cause so far I tried King Kullen, Key Food and now Fairway Supermarkets.

Did you just apply to one branch of King Kullen and Key Food or a more general application to work in any of their branches.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/21 at 1:57 pm

Did you just apply to one branch of King Kullen and Key Food or a more general application to work in any of their branches.

I'd rather work in a area close by and not have to travel so far where I used to work and it took me nearly 80 minutes and with the new ones I sent my job application to, there's less time travel back and forth, that's good for me.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/26/21 at 3:33 pm

I'm going to try Food Bazaar and then maybe take a break cause so far I tried King Kullen, Key Food and now Food Bazaar Supermarkets.

How about WalMart ? ???

Written By: nally on 05/26/21 at 10:40 pm

But do you think it should be that way or would you prefer paid time off if possible?

I would prefer paid time off.

And now that I'm full time, I'm gonna get some! (When the occasion comes, that is.) For example, this upcoming Monday is Memorial Day, a U.S. holiday which will be my first paid holiday.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/21 at 7:23 am

How about WalMart ? ???

I don't think so, it would have to be someplace closeby LB and it would have to be UFCW Local 1500, it would have to be with a union.

Written By: Elor on 05/27/21 at 10:04 am

My ex has worked full time plus OT for McDonald’s for 9 years and counting. Zero vacation time.
Wow. That would be so illegal here. If you work full time in Germany you get at least 24 days of paid vacation. :o

Written By: karen on 05/27/21 at 1:56 pm

Dai and I have been working on a jigsaw for a little while. It has some vague areas and occasionally we have had a piece in the wrong place. For the past week I have being trying all the pieces in turn in one space. I even dismantled part of the puzzle and tried again. Dai finished the jigsaw after work today and found the missing piece. It was under the sofa

Written By: Howard on 05/28/21 at 7:45 am

I may have to go back to the periodontist before my appointment on Wednesday, just had gum surgery a few days ago and I saw some blood as I was brushing on my other side, it's really hard to eat soft foods as I get hungry later on in the afternoon and towards the evening before dinner starts but I do what I need to do before Wednesday.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/28/21 at 11:12 am

I may have to go back to the periodontist before my appointment on Wednesday, just had gum surgery a few days ago and I saw some blood as I was brushing on my other side, it's really hard to eat soft foods as I get hungry later on in the afternoon and towards the evening before dinner starts but I do what I need to do before Wednesday.

I just had my first dentist visit in 1.5 years. They did one side. Needed the cavities fixed on the other side. Then I had all the medical visits, surgery, and limited availability with Covid. They have to IV sedate me for anything, I gag horribly and it doesn’t take much. Nitrous doesn’t work. I have to be full out.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/28/21 at 1:27 pm

I seriously need to get my teeth cleaned. I have not been to the dentist in a year and a half and have an appointment for NOVEMBER!  That is the earliest they could get us in. Our dentist closed up shop so we have to go to a new dentist-who is taking all the people the old dentist took care of. Plus the fact that hardly anyone went to the dentist in the last year, they are now trying to catch up. Meanwhile, my teeth are VERY dingy thanks to all the tea I drink. I just hope that I don't have any cavities.

Cat

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/28/21 at 1:39 pm

I seriously need to get my teeth cleaned. I have not been to the dentist in a year and a half and have an appointment for NOVEMBER!  That is the earliest they could get us in. Our dentist closed up shop so we have to go to a new dentist-who is taking all the people the old dentist took care of. Plus the fact that hardly anyone went to the dentist in the last year, they are now trying to catch up. Meanwhile, my teeth are VERY dingy thanks to all the tea I drink. I just hope that I don't have any cavities.

Cat

Yes I went in to have them re-evaluated. Soonest they can start working on them is the end of July. But that’s nothing new around here. There’s never enough services to go around. A few years ago I had to wait 3 months to get one pulled that was broken off. I stayed loaded up on painkillers, heating pad when possible, dumping clove oil into it, packing it with turmeric, popping abscesses as they formed. I was told there was a year long wait for the skin doctors and that was before the pandemic. And they wonder why we have the highest rates in the state for skin cancer. Because nobody can get in to have suspicious spots treated.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/28/21 at 1:57 pm

Yes I went in to have them re-evaluated. Soonest they can start working on them is the end of July. But that’s nothing new around here. There’s never enough services to go around. A few years ago I had to wait 3 months to get one pulled that was broken off. I stayed loaded up on painkillers, heating pad when possible, dumping clove oil into it, packing it with turmeric, popping abscesses as they formed. I was told there was a year long wait for the skin doctors and that was before the pandemic. And they wonder why we have the highest rates in the state for skin cancer. Because nobody can get in to have suspicious spots treated.

That is too bad. They were able to get Carlos in-not for a cleaning but for some "emergency" work which included pulling a tooth and replacing it.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/28/21 at 1:59 pm

I just had my first dentist visit in 1.5 years. They did one side. Needed the cavities fixed on the other side. Then I had all the medical visits, surgery, and limited availability with Covid. They have to IV sedate me for anything, I gag horribly and it doesn’t take much. Nitrous doesn’t work. I have to be full out.

Wagon, so far I've had braces and retainers to correct my teeth in 1984 because growing up from 1974-1984 I sucked my thumb and my two front teeth became "buck" I wound up talking with a lisp and after that I had 8 cavities, after that years later I needed my wisdom teeth to be taken out in 2016 then don't forget the gum surgery.

Written By: karen on 05/28/21 at 2:19 pm

Last day for our year 13 students so they had a day of celebration. All week we have done fun lessons for them and various farewell tea parties and things.

We joined them after work for some Prosecco and strawberries, scones, shortbread and profiteroles. After a couple of speeches by the director of sixth form and the school head the girls all sang the school song. “One family unbroken” is the line they all love.

Written By: karen on 05/28/21 at 2:22 pm

Dai and I are going to the dentist in early July. I haven’t been since April 2019 and I can’t remember when Dai last went.

More excitingly I am getting my hair cut on Tuesday. It has been ten months since I had it cut.

Written By: Elor on 05/29/21 at 6:25 am

My goodness your health care system is odd.  ???
Over here doctors must make time for emergencies. You want a normal appointment you might have to wait for weeks but if an emergency like your tooth happens and you are in pain you get directed to the waiting room and get seen when there is time. You might have to wait for hours but you will be seen by a doctor/dentist on that day.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/21 at 2:16 pm

My goodness you health care system is odd. ???
Over here doctors must make time for emergencies. You want a normal appointment you might have to wait for weeks but if an emergency like your tooth happens and you are in pain you get directed to the waiting room and get seen when there is time. You might have to wait for hours but you will be seen by a doctor/dentist on that day.

What health care system? We are lucky if we have sick care. There is a long battle going on in this country on health care. I think we are inching toward having a REAL health care system in this country but who knows if it will happen in my lifetime.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/30/21 at 7:15 am

I can't wait to get this stuff from my mouth after my gum surgery, I've been eating like a toddler all last week and it was hard trying to get my food to go towards the other side, after eating slow and small, I still feel hungry.  :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/30/21 at 7:37 am

I can't wait to get this stuff from my mouth after my gum surgery, I've been eating like a toddler all last week and it was hard trying to get my food to go towards the other side, after eating slow and small, I still feel hungry.  :(

What sort of foods have you been able to eat?  ???

Written By: Howard on 05/30/21 at 2:23 pm

What sort of foods have you been able to eat?  ???

Soft foods such as oatmeal, scrambled eggs maybe applesauce or cottage cheese and either water or juice to drink, nothing much to do except wait for Wednesday when I head back to the periodontist for him to check up on my gums, The first gum graft cost me $400, I was bleeding the first few days but then after that, it had stopped, all I want to do is to go back and have a sandwich or something, I don't feel full when you eat light and slow and I'm tired of eating like a toddler.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/30/21 at 8:47 pm

Soft foods such as oatmeal, scrambled eggs maybe applesauce or cottage cheese and either water or juice to drink, nothing much to do except wait for Wednesday when I head back to the periodontist for him to check up on my gums, The first gum graft cost me $400, I was bleeding the first few days but then after the next day it had stopped, all I want to do is to go back and have a sandwich or something, I don't feel full when you eat light and slow and I'm tired of eating like a toddler.

UGH - no fun, Howard!  I've been there.  Hopefully it won't take too long to start eating normal again.

Written By: nally on 05/30/21 at 8:50 pm

Soft foods such as oatmeal, scrambled eggs maybe applesauce or cottage cheese and either water or juice to drink, nothing much to do except wait for Wednesday when I head back to the periodontist for him to check up on my gums, The first gum graft cost me $400, I was bleeding the first few days but then after the next day it had stopped, all I want to do is to go back and have a sandwich or something, I don't feel full when you eat light and slow and I'm tired of eating like a toddler.

UGH - no fun, Howard!  I've been there.  Hopefully it won't take too long to start eating normal again.

I agree, it is no fun, for sure. :-\\ I've been there too; for a period of time I've had a restricted diet due to my mouth being operated on.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/30/21 at 9:26 pm

I agree, it is no fun, for sure. :-\\ I've been there too; for a period of time I've had a restricted diet due to my mouth being operated on.

All of you consider yourselves lucky that it’s only temporary. I have to permanently eat that way due to my defective esophagus.

Today was sunny so I put on a bunch of sunscreen and mowed the big part of my yard in shorts and plastic sandals. Maybe I can get some color to me eventually without being burned to a crisp.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/30/21 at 9:45 pm

All of you consider yourselves lucky that it’s only temporary. I have to permanently eat that way due to my defective esophagus.

Sorry to hear this, wagonman.  :(

Written By: Howard on 05/31/21 at 7:41 am

It isn't fun, I have to eat warm to lukewarm foods and not too hot, I have to eat on the other side of my mouth where there's no surgery done, I got to cut up my foods into small pieces but then after a while I still feel hungry, I don't get that full feeling after you've eaten a big meal, But The good thing is I'm not bleeding anymore.

Written By: Howard on 05/31/21 at 7:43 am

Today was sunny so I put on a bunch of sunscreen and mowed the big part of my yard in shorts and plastic sandals. Maybe I can get some color to me eventually without being burned to a crisp.

What "soft foods" have you been eating?

Written By: karen on 05/31/21 at 9:16 am

Yesterday Dai and I drove across to the Welsh borders for an orienteering event. It was a lovely sunny day, just a shade too warm for me. When I finished I was 22nd out of everyone on my course, but 1st in my age class. I fully expect to be mid-table by the end, but the results aren’t out yet.

Dai managed to completely destroy a pair of shoes. The soles came away from the uppers while he was out racing. He had to adjust his shoe laces to wrap around the soles to keep them vaguely in place.

Today we went out on the tandem for a little ride. I haven’t ridden it for years so I was a little nervous. I ride at the back so have limited view of the road and no ability to steer or brake or anything. I settled down into it after a while but didn’t want to go too far.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/31/21 at 9:27 am

What "soft foods" have you been eating?

Soup, but sometimes that needs to go through the grinder too if it has chunks. Ground up chicken and cheese paste. Surprisingly scrambled eggs don’t go half the time, same with finger jello, they’re too slippery and can’t get traction. Turkey meatballs are one of the best things I’ve had lately. Cream of wheat. Cereal bars. Basically if you can easily smash it with a spoon and it doesn’t spring back, it’s probably ok. Mashed potatoes is like the miracle food and sometimes I can hide other stuff in it, use it as a vehicle to carry other stuff down. Then I have to feel for each bite to make sure it goes all the way. Eating takes a lot of time and consideration and I don’t like going to restaurants.

Only difference from your current situation is I can eat dry things that fall apart easily. Like chips, crackers, and cereal. So I eat a lot of junk food. Normal food goes cold or bad when I have to come back to it hours later. Junk food doesn’t go bad.

Written By: nally on 05/31/21 at 11:30 am

Yeah, that's a different story. When that part of the body is not so good, of course certain restrictions have to be taken.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/31/21 at 11:34 am

Yesterday Dai and I drove across to the Welsh borders for an orienteering event. It was a lovely sunny day, just a shade too warm for me. When I finished I was 22nd out of everyone on my course, but 1st in my age class. I fully expect to be mid-table by the end, but the results aren’t out yet.

Dai managed to completely destroy a pair of shoes. The soles came away from the uppers while he was out racing. He had to adjust his shoe laces to wrap around the soles to keep them vaguely in place.

Today we went out on the tandem for a little ride. I haven’t ridden it for years so I was a little nervous. I ride at the back so have limited view of the road and no ability to steer or brake or anything. I settled down into it after a while but didn’t want to go too far.

Congrats on doing so well with the orienteering!  :)  It's nice getting outside like that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/21 at 11:56 am

Well done!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/21 at 12:38 pm

Family gone, I'm all alone,
Now a day of all a sundry.
Getting on with household chores,
A good day to be doing the laundry

Written By: Howard on 05/31/21 at 3:13 pm

Got some very good news, just got a call from King Kullen about Quarter To 3 and that must've been the manager I had met at the place, he asked me "Are you still looking for work" and I said to him "Yes I am" then I told him I worked for nearly 15 years altogether as a cart handler at Pathmark which is now a Stop N Shop, he also asked me "They couldn't find anything closer for you", I told him "No, they had nothing except Brooklyn which I was there for 10 years" so he will send my job application in and we'll see what happens if I get an interview or not.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/21 at 3:23 pm

Got some very good news, just got a call from King Kullen about Quarter To 3 and that must've been the manager I had met at the place, he asked me "Are you still looking for work" and I said to him "Yes I am" then I told him I worked for nearly 15 years altogether as a cart handler at Pathmark which is now a Stop N Shop, he also asked me "They couldn't find anything closer for you", I told him "No, they had nothing except Brooklyn which I was there for 10 years" so he will send my job application in and we'll see what happens if I get an interview or not.  :)
Sounds like good news?

Written By: Ripley on 05/31/21 at 4:05 pm

Excellent news!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/31/21 at 4:14 pm

Great!  Hope this leads to your next position, Howard!  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/31/21 at 4:29 pm

NICE.  8)

Written By: nally on 05/31/21 at 4:31 pm

That's really great! O0 I hope this leads to something good for ya.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/01/21 at 2:24 am

Congrats Howard, hope it all works out.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/21 at 7:24 am

Sounds like good news?

Sure is, I'm so happy they called, I can finally get back to work but My Father will have to cancel unemployment checks for me If I do return back to work.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/21 at 7:26 am

Great!  Hope this leads to your next position, Howard!  :)

I sure hope so, it's going be to carts since that's what I signed up for but I can also do throwbacks and baskets collection too as well.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/21 at 7:27 am

Congrats Howard, hope it all works out.

Thank You, I feel so relieved.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/01/21 at 6:07 pm

I sure hope so, it's going be to carts since that's what I signed up for but I can also do throwbacks and baskets collection too as well.

What are throwbacks? ???

Written By: Howard on 06/02/21 at 7:56 am

What are throwbacks? ???

Throwbacks are groceries that customers don't want so your job is to get them and put them back on the shelf or if they're expired, you bring them to a different place.

Check for new replies or respond here...