inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tell us something surprising about yourself

Written By: Dude111 on 06/27/21 at 6:43 pm

Heres a thread where we can relax a little and talk to our fellow humans, nstead of bickering with our political rivals.

Quite a lot of us have been here for some time. But what do we really know about each other? Sure we have our opinions and perceptions of individuals on here,but every one of them is wrong. This is an opportunity to correct the record of your inthe00s persona a little bit,if you'd like :)

The idea is to tell everyone something about yourself that they wouldn't have guessed,based on the discussions you enter and positions you take in them. I think that most of us stick to discussing certain topics and leave others alone for lots of valid reasons,but it does leave a hole in other peoples' perceptions of the people we are.

Anyway..... I am very loving and caring to people (Or I try to be (Even if they are mean to me))

Some surprising stuff about me might be: I prefer Analogue over digital as to me Analogue is much nicer looking and sounding....

I like VHS for the same reason and I hate it when a movie has been "Digitally mastered" or anything Digital.... If I wanted Digital,I would watch or listen to a CD!!

Those are a couple things about me..... I think this is a nice idea for a thread,it lets us see some of the softer spots of all and we need that now :)

Peace and love to you all.......

Subject: Re: Tell us something surprising about yourself

Written By: violet_shy on 06/28/21 at 12:21 pm

You're sweet!  :)

Something surprising about me?

I too am caring and nice to EVERYONE. Also, in order for me to sing at my fullest and at my best my hair has to be down...if I wear my hair up in a chignon or something tight, then I can't sing.  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/28/21 at 12:26 pm

Heres a thread where we can relax a little and talk to our fellow humans, nstead of bickering with our political rivals.

Some surprising stuff about me might be: I prefer Analogue over digital as to me Analogue is much nicer looking and sounding....

Oh, I too VASTLY prefer analog over digital. Even cassettes sound demonstratively better than CDs or streaming. But, alas, people went for the convenience and not the sound. Pity.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/28/21 at 7:46 pm

Not sure what would be surprising about me. I’ve pretty much said everything at some point or another.

Written By: nally on 06/28/21 at 7:46 pm

You're sweet!  :)

I too am caring and nice to EVERYONE.

I can relate! O0

Also, we have a thread just like this at: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=1140.0

Written By: violet_shy on 06/28/21 at 8:29 pm

Not sure what would be surprising about me. I’ve pretty much said everything at some point or another.

I have way too many things that would surprise people. Lol. I'm spontaneous!

Written By: violet_shy on 06/28/21 at 9:48 pm

This might sound strange to some people...maybe everyone.

Once in a while when it gets really warm out during Summer, if there's humidity I get all sticky. Anyway, the only way I can tell I've been over exposed to heat is by licking my arms. Not all over but slightly. I can taste the saltiness and that's when I find ways to keep cool. People go by how they feel, not me. If my arms are super salty then it's time to cool down asap! And no I don't lick other people's arms. Just my own.

I know, I know. It's strange and kinda gross. Sorry....hahaha ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: nally on 06/28/21 at 11:36 pm

I'm an only child. Also, I ended up being the only grandchild on either side of the family!

Written By: violet_shy on 06/29/21 at 12:34 am

I'm an only child. Also, I ended up being the only grandchild on either side of the family!

That's sweet!

I'll be your sister! :) If you would allow me to be. Like fraternal twins. Because we are cohorts. That way you won't miss out and you'll know what it's like having siblings. Brothers and sisters keep in touch often so you can expect some messages coming your way! Lol.

Written By: nally on 06/29/21 at 12:35 am

That's sweet!

I'll be your sister! :) If you would allow me to be. Like fraternal twins. Because we are cohorts. That way you won't miss out and you'll know what it's like having siblings. Brothers and sisters keep in touch often so you can expect some messages coming your way! Lol.

I would love that! 8)

Written By: philbo on 06/29/21 at 6:50 am

I have seven cats, and enjoy making furniture for them and sticking it on the walls :-)

Written By: Howard on 06/29/21 at 7:17 am

This might sound strange to some people...maybe everyone.

Once in a while when it gets really warm out during Summer, if there's humidity I get all sticky. Anyway, the only way I can tell I've been over exposed to heat is by licking my arms. Not all over but slightly. I can taste the saltiness and that's when I find ways to keep cool. People go by how they feel, not me. If my arms are super salty then it's time to cool down asap! And no I don't lick other people's arms. Just my own.

I know, I know. It's strange and kinda gross. Sorry....hahaha ;D ;D ;D ;D

Why would even do that?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/29/21 at 7:22 am

I like reminiscing about vintage everything whether it be discussing old shows, music, current events and just about anything you like I'm up for that.  :)

Written By: violet_shy on 06/29/21 at 8:20 am

Why would even do that?  ;D

When a person is over exposed to heat it comes out the pores on the skin. Most people complain about feeling fatigued or weak when they have been exposed to Summer heatwaves too long. Before that even happens to me, I lick my arms slightly.... ;D

That way I'll know ahead of time and I can cool down just in time! Sorry it's so weird :o

And off topic but, theres going to be a heatwave today in our area...

Written By: karen on 06/29/21 at 11:28 am

I have seven cats, and enjoy making furniture for them and sticking it on the walls :-)

Never had you down as a cat guy

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/29/21 at 12:58 pm

Surprising - I graduated High School at age 17, off to a good start - but then it took me 8 1/2 years to earn my 4-year college degree!  ;D

I will qualify, that's 8 1/2 continuous years that elapsed, and there were some school-less gaps (some school-sanctioned) - but still...

(Even so, the degree was 100% worth it.)

Subject: Tell us something surprising about yourself

Written By: Dude111 on 06/29/21 at 5:49 pm

Also, we have a thread just like this at: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=1140.0

Oops im sorry Nally,I didnt realise..... I just saw this on city-data on the political base and wanted to share it on some other sites Im on....

If ya wanna merge them go ahead please!!

Ah man!!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/29/21 at 8:34 pm

...I prefer Analogue over digital...

Not too many of us are "surprised" by that, Dude  ;)

Oh, I too VASTLY prefer analog over digital...

For any youngsters out there who might be unaware, it's important to realize this:  human ears hear in analog.  Technology does not change that (with the possible exception of new technology for those unable to hear, perhaps).  Thus, in order for humans to hear music or any other sound signal, it has to be analog.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/29/21 at 8:45 pm

For any youngsters out there who might be unaware, it's important to realize this:  human ears hear in analog.  Technology does not change that (with the possible exception of new technology for those unable to hear, perhaps).  Thus, in order for humans to hear music or any other sound signal, it has to be analog.

Correct! Digital is actually an approximation of the sound. Like a Xerox copy of the sound, if you will. It's like looking at a photocopy of the Mona Lisa or other famous painting rather than the real thing.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/29/21 at 9:11 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6791.0;attach=33010

I’ve posted this before. Photo is January 1999 so it was well used by then. But I designed and built this bass from scratch during my first year of college and the next summer. I wanted a 6 string fretless like I saw Glenn Worf holding in a magazine, no way I could afford one. So I researched and designed nearly everything over the winter while going to college full time at 18. I made the bridge and my own design of a truss rod using the college machine shop. The neck attachment was my own design too, which I have seen on later basses. The only things I bought were the electronics (but I wired it my own way), tuning keys, strings and nut, and fasteners. And of course the wood. I didn’t have any real tools so I did everything with a router, I made jigs to jack up all the pieces and ran the router over them on my dad’s garage floor. Carved out lots of it by hand. Had to use the metal bandsaw at work to cut out the body. Believe it or not I used bright electric blue stain, but the cherry wood turned it green with brown highlights. Over the summer I turned 19 and I finished it just before going back for my second year. The thing sounded and played great. One college mate from Detroit said it would be worth about $2000 down there. I built it for about $225. I played it exclusively for 14 years until it started needing some work. Didn’t have facilities for a long time. Now I do and I’d like to do the work it needs.

I did a lot of things early, graduated at 17, got my college degree at 20, bought a house at 22.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/29/21 at 9:24 pm

I’ve posted this before. Photo is January 1999 so it was well used by then. But I designed and built this bass from scratch during my first year of college and the next summer. I wanted a 6 string fretless like I saw Glenn Worf holding in a magazine, no way I could afford one. So I researched and designed nearly everything over the winter while going to college full time at 18. I made the bridge and my own design of a truss rod using the college machine shop. The neck attachment was my own design too, which I have seen on later basses. The only things I bought were the electronics (but I wired it my own way), tuning keys, strings and nut, and fasteners. And of course the wood. I didn’t have any real tools so I did everything with a router, I made jigs to jack up all the pieces and ran the router over them on my dad’s garage floor. Carved out lots of it by hand. Had to use the metal bandsaw at work to cut out the body. Believe it or not I used bright electric blue stain, but the cherry wood turned it green with brown highlights. Over the summer I turned 19 and I finished it just before going back for my second year. The thing sounded and played great. One college mate from Detroit said it would be worth about $2000 down there. I built it for about $225. I played it exclusively for 14 years until it started needing some work. Didn’t have facilities for a long time. Now I do and I’d like to do the work it needs.

I did a lot of things early, graduated at 17, got my college degree at 20, bought a house at 22.

O0 Really cool!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/29/21 at 9:35 pm

You might have had a career as a luthier.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/29/21 at 10:01 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6791.0;attach=33010

That's impressive! I like that so much. And you're really good at playing the bass!

Written By: philbo on 06/30/21 at 2:41 am

Never had you down as a cat guy

Ah, so it was a surprising thing about me :-)

I think this has FB privacy set to "Public": https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10157612688726120&type=3

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/21 at 3:00 am

Ah, so it was a surprising thing about me :-)

I think this has FB privacy set to "Public": https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10157612688726120&type=3
You are right it cannot be viewed.

Written By: philbo on 06/30/21 at 5:57 am

Ah, well, here's a few pix (and a kind of fun video.. but Sirocco has grown quite a bit since then): https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjBAcZm_BhU83UmsoB2w_StsBPEa?e=5B7bfc

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/21 at 6:04 am

Ah, well, here's a few pix (and a kind of fun video.. but Sirocco has grown quite a bit since then): https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjBAcZm_BhU83UmsoB2w_StsBPEa?e=5B7bfc
;D

Featuring Tomcat Cruise?

Written By: philbo on 06/30/21 at 6:34 am

Featuring Tomcat Cruise?

:D
He does have a certain swagger.. the difference is that Sirocco is *big* :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/21 at 6:53 am

:D
He does have a certain swagger.. the difference is that Sirocco is *big* :)
Giving out a few good meows?

Written By: violet_shy on 06/30/21 at 9:02 pm

Sometimes I speak in third-person. Like if I'm speaking about myself, I will say she, her, herself. I don't know why I do that. But I love doing it!

Written By: nally on 07/03/21 at 12:35 pm

Sometimes I speak in third-person. Like if I'm speaking about myself, I will say she, her, herself. I don't know why I do that. But I love doing it!

Occasionally I will do that too.

Jeffrey is thinking about what else he wants to write before he clicks the Post button.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/21 at 3:38 pm

I used to crack almost every bone in my body.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/03/21 at 8:10 pm

Sometimes, I determine all and everything I do on how the objects in my home are placed. It might be a little bit superstitious. I only do this sometimes when it gets tough in life.

Like if I'm trying to decide what to do the next day, then I place my hairbrush facing the mirror. That tells me I should write another song. Or if I happen to find my hairbrush facing the mirror to the left, that means tomorrow won't be any different than today. If my hairbrush is on the right side, then something great will happen tomorrow! ...yeah, I'm normal.  ;D ;D

Again I only do this when I'm bored or when life gets rough.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/03/21 at 8:42 pm

Sometimes, I determine all and everything I do on how the objects in my home are placed. It might be a little bit superstitious. I only do this sometimes when it gets tough in life.

Like if I'm trying to decide what to do the next day, then I place my hairbrush facing the mirror. That tells me I should write another song. Or if I happen to find my hairbrush facing the mirror to the left, that means tomorrow won't be any different than today. If my hairbrush is on the right side, then something great will happen tomorrow! ...yeah, I'm normal.  ;D ;D

Again I only do this when I'm bored or when life gets rough.

Is this more a Feng-Shui thing or an OCD thing?

Written By: violet_shy on 07/04/21 at 6:59 pm

Is this more a Feng-Shui thing or an OCD thing?

Lol. It's not OCD. Because I don't do that everyday. I'm just weird. :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/04/21 at 7:36 pm

Lol. It's not OCD. Because I don't do that everyday. I'm just weird. :)

I noticed.

Written By: nally on 09/26/21 at 3:42 pm

I like reminiscing about vintage everything whether it be discussing old shows, music, current events and just about anything you like I'm up for that.  :)

Then you and I could have a lively chat together about such things! I enjoy it too. Talking about it helps me retain such memories.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/21 at 4:22 pm

When I was in First Grade, I went to NYC with my mother to interview with a talent agency. They wanted to sign me up that day but my mother said that she had to speak to my father first. After talking to my First Grade teacher who said, "If anyone could come through this, it would be 'Cat'." That scared my mother and she declined. I was mad at her for years with the "I could have been a contendah" attitude. But, as an adult and seeing what child stars go through (Dana Plato, Mackenzie Phillips to name just a few), I think my mother made the right decision.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 09/26/21 at 8:17 pm

3 fun facts about me:

1. I write my own songs.
2. When I was in my 20s, I wanted to be a nun.
3. I have one dimple on each cheek.

Written By: Howard on 09/27/21 at 4:37 am

Then you and I could have a lively chat together about such things! I enjoy it too. Talking about it helps me retain such memories.

Maybe one day.

Written By: Howard on 09/27/21 at 4:38 am

I used to have an obsession about Michael Jackson.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/27/21 at 1:50 pm

3 fun facts about me:

1. I write my own songs.
2. When I was in my 20s, I wanted to be a nun.
3. I have one dimple on each cheek.

Really? I thought you were redoing Broken Wings and the Hedgehog song as well as others.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 09/27/21 at 2:09 pm

Really? I thought you were redoing Broken Wings and the Hedgehog song as well as others.

Cat

Yes. But I wrote the songs on Spotify.  :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/27/21 at 2:15 pm

Yes. But I wrote the songs on Spotify.  :)

Do you generally write on guitar or piano? I know musicians who do both. Now that some pandemic restrictions have been lifted you can do solo shows and open mike nights in coffeehouses. People like that sort of thing.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/27/21 at 2:34 pm

Do you generally write on guitar or piano? I know musicians who do both. Now that some pandemic restrictions have been lifted you can do solo shows and open mike nights in coffeehouses. People like that sort of thing.

I do things differently. First I arrange the music, then I write the lyrics and arrange the lyrics with the music. I find it works best for me. I do that with all of my songs.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/27/21 at 2:41 pm

I do things differently. First I arrange the music, then I write the lyrics and arrange the lyrics with the music. I find it works best for me. I do that with all of my songs.

I'm still not getting a clear picture. What do you mean you "arrange the music"? Where does the music come from in the first place to "arrange"? You have to write it on something.  This doesn't sound like what the musicians I know do. What do you write the chords on?  Do you do notation or sight read? Do you actually play a musical  instrument at all? Do you go the modern route with software such as Garageband? Or maybe use ProTools? The latter is kind of pricey.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/21 at 12:47 am

How do you go about composing the music, on a piano, guitar, or another instrument?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/21 at 7:50 am

Will the Hedgehog song be your own song, or one supplied to you?

Written By: violet_shy on 10/09/21 at 7:17 pm

This isn't really surprising...but I can create an up do in less than 30 seconds! I use only a hair clip.

yuYGAa9avjY                         

Check for new replies or respond here...