inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Awesome August monthly thread for 2021

Written By: nally on 08/01/21 at 12:04 am

Looks like I'll be starting the monthly thread yet again...

Welcome to August 2021!

White Rabbits!!

Subject: Re: Awesome August monthly thread for 2021

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/21 at 2:49 am

White rabbit!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/21 at 2:50 am

Last week, there was a chance to be online,
But that day I did not feel fine,
Not being well, all kinda queasy,
So spent the day taking it easy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/21 at 2:53 am

Were the boards down a little while back, for I kept getting this board was not accessible?

Written By: Howard on 08/01/21 at 7:43 am

Tuesday marks My Parent's 52nd anniversary.  :)

Written By: nally on 08/01/21 at 11:20 am

Were the boards down a little while back, for I kept getting this board was not accessible?

Not that I know of. Maybe you had a connection issue? Who knows?

Written By: violet_shy on 08/01/21 at 12:42 pm

It was such a long night last night. I had to call the paramedics to take my mother to the ER. She wasn't feeling well all day yesterday. Turned out her potassium level is very low along with her electrolytes. Thankfully they are helping her and she feels better. But, they have to keep her over night to make sure they give her enough potassium.

Please send us prayers and good thoughts, everyone! I really need them. Thanks all! ❤

Written By: Howard on 08/01/21 at 2:32 pm

It was such a long night last night. I had to call the paramedics to take my mother to the ER. She wasn't feeling well all day yesterday. Turned out her potassium level is very low along with her electrolytes. Thankfully they are helping her and she feels better. But, they have to keep her over night to make sure they give her enough potassium.

Please send us prayers and good thoughts, everyone! I really need them. Thanks all! ❤

prayers to your Mother.  :)

Written By: nally on 08/01/21 at 2:36 pm

Oh dear!! :o :o

I am definitely sending good thoughts to you and your mother. I hope she improves! ❤❤

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/01/21 at 2:48 pm

Congrats to your folks!

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/01/21 at 2:53 pm

Hope it’s just something simple and she feels better. Mine has always been low, along with other things. Before my childhood surgeries they would have me drink a bunch of potassium mixed with orange juice. Nasty bitter stuff. Nowadays they probably just give an IV.

Written By: nally on 08/01/21 at 2:55 pm

Happy early anniversary to them. :)

Written By: violet_shy on 08/01/21 at 3:35 pm

prayers to your Mother.  :)

Oh dear!! :o :o

I am definitely sending good thoughts to you and your mother. I hope she improves! ❤❤

Hope it’s just something simple and she feels better. Mine has always been low, along with other things. Before my childhood surgeries they would have me drink a bunch of potassium mixed with orange juice. Nasty bitter stuff. Nowadays they probably just give an IV.

Thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers! She's feeling better. But staying at the hospital over night.

Written By: karen on 08/01/21 at 3:48 pm

James has gone to Italy for three weeks. He will be working at an archaeological site as part of his university course.

Written By: nally on 08/01/21 at 8:46 pm

Thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers! She's feeling better. But staying at the hospital over night.

Still sending my prayers.

Written By: nally on 08/02/21 at 1:21 am

So...tomorrow starts a new week (and a new month) at the office for me. Gotta go to bed soon so that I rest well and will be ready for working in the morning.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/02/21 at 2:45 am

Yesterday my mom and I went to look at a car that I had been eying a 06 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate.  They don't even make the Mercury cars anymore.  It has a bit of front fender damage and a flat tire but I think I can make do with it.  They want $3,900 for it.  It's in good shape for the year it was built.  It's what I want and I'd rather buy used than spend multi-millions of dollars on a brand new car and have to trade it in in a couple of years from now.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/21 at 4:42 am

Congrats to your folks!

Thank You.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/21 at 4:43 am

That's good. :)

Written By: violet_shy on 08/03/21 at 2:23 pm

My mother was released from the hospital yesterday. I'm making sure that she has plenty of potassium, water, and that she eats healthy.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/03/21 at 2:59 pm

I miss this post.

My mother was released from the hospital yesterday. I'm making sure that she has plenty of potassium, water, and that she eats healthy.  :)

I hope she is feeling better.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 08/03/21 at 7:51 pm

I miss this post.

I hope she is feeling better.

Cat

Thank you, Cat. She is doing so much better!

Written By: nally on 08/03/21 at 8:32 pm

Thank you, Cat. She is doing so much better!

Excellent news! I am so so glad to hear that! :) O0

Written By: Howard on 08/04/21 at 4:33 am

That's wonderful news, glad to hear that. :)

Written By: violet_shy on 08/04/21 at 12:44 pm

Excellent news! I am so so glad to hear that! :) O0

That's wonderful news, glad to hear that. :)

Yes. Earlier today, she wanted to have sweets...but I made sure and said no because if her diabetes. Later this week, I will make her a sugar free cake with sugar free icing to treat her. And it's better for her. That way she won't feel deprived about having any sweets.  :)

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/04/21 at 8:02 pm

Yes. Earlier today, she wanted to have sweets...but I made sure and said no because if her diabetes. Later this week, I will make her a sugar free cake with sugar free icing to treat her. And it's better for her. That way she won't feel deprived about having any sweets.  :)

There ya go. Thankfully we got lots of alternatives to sugar and some of it is just as good.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/04/21 at 9:29 pm

There ya go. Thankfully we got lots of alternatives to sugar and some of it is just as good.

Yup! There are even food products for diabetics.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/04/21 at 10:07 pm

Happy Anniversary to your parents!  :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/04/21 at 10:10 pm

Sorry your Mom had this health scare - glad to hear she's better now    :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/04/21 at 10:33 pm

Recently returned from a wonderful week and a half car trip.  Headed east from Chicagoland to our first stop Ohio for the weekend (had to see the grandkids), then on eastward to two locations in New Jersey (hubby's siblings etc.).  Fun times!  We didn't do a lot of real touristy stuff - mostly visiting.  But visiting was great, and we got to meet the three new babies, heart-stealers every one of them (plus re-connect with the older kids and young adults).  We did try out a new spot on the Jersey Shore, really nice and fun on the boardwalk, plus we took in a Phillies game - big fun too, and hubby caught a foul ball!  :D

Everything went smooth except on our return trip home, while we were in a construction zone on the westbound Ohio turnpike, it seems there was a bad accident in front of us that closed down all westbound traffic, suddenly rendering our location a parking lot, as we were in one lane traffic with concrete barriers on each side.  For FIVE AND A HALF HOURS!!!  The worst part (besides the lack of bathrooms) was that no one attempted to communicate with us stuck-ees whatsoever    >:(  So instead of getting home around 8:00pm as planned, we got home at 1:30 the next morning.  Still recovering.

Written By: nally on 08/04/21 at 11:48 pm

Excellent compromise! O0

Written By: nally on 08/04/21 at 11:51 pm

Recently returned from a wonderful week and a half car trip.  Headed east from Chicagoland to our first stop Ohio for the weekend (had to see the grandkids), then on eastward to two locations in New Jersey (hubby's siblings etc.).  Fun times!  We didn't do a lot of real touristy stuff - mostly visiting.  But visiting was great, and we got to meet the three new babies, heart-stealers every one of them (plus re-connect with the older kids and young adults).  We did try out a new spot on the Jersey Shore, really nice and fun on the boardwalk, plus we took in a Phillies game - big fun too, and hubby caught a foul ball!  :D

Awesome!!

I still have yet to see a game at a stadium other than Dodger Stadium.

Everything went smooth except on our return trip home, while we were in a construction zone on the westbound Ohio turnpike, it seems there was a bad accident in front of us that closed down all westbound traffic, suddenly rendering our location a parking lot, as we were in one lane traffic with concrete barriers on each side.  For FIVE AND A HALF HOURS!!!  The worst part (besides the lack of bathrooms) was that no one attempted to communicate with us stuck-ees whatsoever    >:(  So instead of getting home around 8:00pm as planned, we got home at 1:30 the next morning.  Still recovering.

At least you made it home safely.

A thousand days ago, on November 8th 2018, I had a helluva time getting home from work due to wildfires shutting down a key portion of US Hwy 101 and having to detour, fighting traffic in the process.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/21 at 7:43 am

Good to see you back AG. :)

Written By: karen on 08/05/21 at 9:04 am

Sounds like a great trip, except for the last part.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/05/21 at 2:02 pm

Glad you had a good time (except the traffic). That is the nice thing about traveling in a campervan/RV-you ALWAYS have a bathroom with you. At one point on our trip, traffic stopped and yeah, I had to go. So, I quickly unbuckled, went in back and did my thing. I was buckled back up before traffic started moving again.

Cat

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/05/21 at 6:07 pm

Good thing you didn’t have any vehicle problems. Never drove the turnpike but last time I saw traffic like that I was coming back from the 2017 eclipse. Didn’t make it too far as my clutch kept seizing up. I guess they eventually just closed the freeway entrances for the day as getting on was hopeless. That was one time I wished I had a phone or GPS, I’d have just taken the back roads. Like I did many times downstate when the freeway was closed due to bad weather and pileups. But for that I just knew the way.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/06/21 at 7:10 pm

Glad it was a fun for you. I just love car trips!

Written By: nally on 08/06/21 at 11:19 pm

Good thing you didn’t have any vehicle problems. Never drove the turnpike but last time I saw traffic like that I was coming back from the 2017 eclipse. Didn’t make it too far as my clutch kept seizing up. I guess they eventually just closed the freeway entrances for the day as getting on was hopeless. That was one time I wished I had a phone or GPS, I’d have just taken the back roads. Like I did many times downstate when the freeway was closed due to bad weather and pileups. But for that I just knew the way.

Such conditions occasionally transpire on the West Coast as well. A big traffic hazard will close down part of an arterial road, and as a result there'll be a ginormous backup/detour. What a pain.

Written By: karen on 08/08/21 at 1:51 pm

Dai and I drove down to his mums yesterday. I went to see her in hospital in the afternoon, and Dai went this afternoon, before we drove home again

She is bored with just sitting in the hospital. She feels quite well, though her leg hasn’t healed completely. Dai tried to speak to one of the medical staff today. Not entirely sure we have the full picture, but I think that medically she could come home, but they don’t think she could manage physically on her own. So we are waiting for the physio and occupational therapy to decide when she can come home and what support she will be given.

Talking to the neighbours, she hasn’t really been managing completely on her own for quite a while. She didn’t want to worry us, but now it has become an urgent thing to decide whether she stays in her own home, moves up to us, or moves to a care home of some kind, instead of it being a slower discussion about what she wants to do.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/08/21 at 2:15 pm

Had a nice visit with Carlos' youngest daughter yesterday and her kids. She just left her husband (YAY) and is dealing with that mess. She showed up the night before (just her) so she was able to give us all the gory details. She is now staying at Carlos' ex's until she can get a place of her own. Then yesterday, she went to help with the kids at a function that her husband was involved it (the Shriners) and after, he and our grandson (who is 8  ) stayed to watch a football game while she came with the girls (12 & 4) to our house. Then he came to the house where I got to see our grandson (who is such a sweetheart). Then he took the kids and she left shortly after they did.

We live on a pretty busy street. There are trucks that go past the house all the time. I couldn't believe that he was going to let our grandson cross that street by himself. I was about to cross the street to help the boy. But, then he finally realized that he needed to be the adult. ::) And once across the street, my grandson came running into my arms.  :) :) :)

Today, we are going to be celebrating our oldest granddaughter's 18th. (OMG! Do I feel old!)

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/21 at 1:50 pm

We missed the birthday party last night because of two stupid mistakes on my part. 1. I got the wrong restaurant and 2. I forgot to bring our cell phone with us.  :-[ :-[ :-[

We will be meeting up with granddaughter & her mother for dinner on Thursday. But, the other kids won't be there.  :\'(

Cat

Written By: nally on 08/09/21 at 8:05 pm

We missed the birthday party last night because of two stupid mistakes on my part. 1. I got the wrong restaurant and 2. I forgot to bring our cell phone with us.  :-[ :-[ :-[

We will be meeting up with granddaughter & her mother for dinner on Thursday. But, the other kids won't be there.  :\'(

Cat

Still, happy birthday to her. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/21 at 2:29 am

On the last day I was online, my guests that would be for the weekend arrived on that Thursday, and left last night.

Now I am still feeling rough for flu, no COVID I am not coughing with it.

So, here today, but on and off.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/21 at 7:30 am

On the last day I was online, my guests that would be for the weekend arrived on that Thursday, and left last night.

Now I am still feeling rough for flu, no COVID I am not coughing with it.

So, here today, but on and off.

Feel better Phil. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/21 at 7:50 am

Feel better Phil. :)
Thank you.

All I wish to do is take a good walk, I will have to wait a few days for it now.

Written By: karen on 08/13/21 at 4:59 pm

Just got back from Trent Bridge cricket ground. There is a new cricket competition for this year called The Hundred. It is each side facing one hundred five-ball overs. We went to see Trent Rockets play Birmingham Phoenix. Unfortunately both the women’s and the men’s Rockets teams lost their matches.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/14/21 at 12:47 pm

Another warm Summer day!

Did some much needed grocery shopping. It's nice and cool in the store, so it wasn't that bad. Need to catch up on my music and song writing asap! Thinking of auditioning for acting in the Fall. But with this Covid variant who knows. Still, I'm excited!

Written By: nally on 08/14/21 at 1:31 pm

Another warm Summer day!

Did some much needed grocery shopping. It's nice and cool in the store, so it wasn't that bad. Need to catch up on my music and song writing asap! Thinking of auditioning for acting in the Fall. But with this Covid variant who knows. Still, I'm excited!

That's great! O0

I have been getting out a little more in the past month or two as well, but the Covid variant has been sparking new cases in CA. :o And that said, I've been thinking of ordering groceries through InstaCart again, like we were doing for much of last year.

Anyhoo, I wish you the best of luck in your adventures my friend! :) 8)

Written By: violet_shy on 08/14/21 at 1:38 pm

That's great! O0

I have been getting out a little more in the past month or two as well, but the Covid variant has been sparking new cases in CA. :o And that said, I've been thinking of ordering groceries through InstaCart again, like we were doing for much of last year.

Anyhoo, I wish you the best of luck in your adventures my friend! :) 8)

I too was using Instacart last year. Maybe I will again later.  :)

Written By: nally on 08/14/21 at 1:58 pm

I too was using Instacart last year. Maybe I will again later.  :)

Great minds think alike. O0

Written By: Howard on 08/15/21 at 7:22 am

Another warm Summer day!

Good Luck with your song writing.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/16/21 at 4:39 pm

Good Luck with your song writing.

Thanks Howard.

So earlier today, I had a nice brunch with my brother and my mother. We have beautiful weather and there's lots of sunshine! We are planning a family get together/picnic on the last Sunday of August which is the 29th I think. It should be nice! I hate saying goodbye to the Summertime though. It is my favorite season. And I can't believe how fast it went by! Hope everyone's day has been great. :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/16/21 at 4:57 pm

Thanks Howard.

So earlier today, I had a nice brunch with my brother and my mother. We have beautiful weather and there's lots of sunshine! We are planning a family get together/picnic on the last Sunday of August which is the 29th I think. It should be nice! I hate saying goodbye to the Summertime though. It is my favorite season. And I can't believe how fast it went by! Hope everyone's day has been great. :)

August 29 is not goodbye to Summer. Technically Summer ends on September 22. It's funny how nobody considers almost the entire month of September as Summer, but it is. And, at least on the East Coast of the USA where you are, summerlike hot weather often stretches straight through October.

Somehow, some way, Labor Day came to be considered the official "end of Summer", thus wasting an entire Summer month.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/16/21 at 5:01 pm

August 29 is not goodbye to Summer. Technically Summer ends on September 22. It's funny how nobody considers almost the entire month of September as Summer, but it is. And, at least on the East Coast of the USA where you are, summerlike hot weather often stretches straight through October.

Somehow, some way, Labor Day came to be considered the official "end of Summer", thus wasting an entire Summer month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nSaxXh6J_o
(Jerry Orbach)

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/16/21 at 5:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nSaxXh6J_o
(Jerry Orbach)

Cat

Yes, September does seem to have it's own "netherworld" kind of feel, between Summer and Fall. I like the Kingston Trio's version of "Try To Remember" from "The Fantasticks" a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ENxjFvm7Q

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/16/21 at 6:57 pm

Yes, September does seem to have it's own "netherworld" kind of feel, between Summer and Fall. I like the Kingston Trio's version of "Try To Remember" from "The Fantasticks" a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ENxjFvm7Q

I love the Fantasticks but Try to Remember is actually one of my least favorite from it.

Cat

Written By: nally on 08/16/21 at 8:36 pm

Thanks Howard.

Yep, it's the 29th. :) (Don't worry, the summer season doesn't actually end until the Autumnal Equinox.) I hope you enjoy your get-together! I miss having such events.

Written By: Howard on 08/17/21 at 7:34 am

Thanks Howard.

I know Summer is almost over.  :o

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/17/21 at 8:45 am

I know Summer is almost over.  :o

As posted above, Summer does not end until Sept. 22. You've got over a month left.  :)

Written By: Ripley on 08/17/21 at 2:55 pm

Am I the only one here who actually hates summer lol 😁Fall is the best for not only the cooler weather but the way it looks outside. The leaves and pumpkins. It gets me excited for Halloween! 🎃 The humidity is really bad for me and my mom so we’re not fans of summer.

Anyway… We’re taking a much needed 4 day weekend from work the last four days of the month. The only thing for sure planned is to go to the movies.

Written By: Howard on 08/17/21 at 3:03 pm

This Thursday on my day off I am going to the walk in clinic in the morning to see if this loss of sense of smell is COVID related, I hope when I get the free check-up it doesn't come back as positive for the results, most likely this thing will hopefully go away and I will get my sense of smell back.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/17/21 at 3:23 pm

Am I the only one here who actually hates summer lol 😁Fall is the best for not only the cooler weather but the way it looks outside. The leaves and pumpkins. It gets me excited for Halloween! 🎃 The humidity is really bad for me and my mom so we’re not fans of summer.

Anyway… We’re taking a much needed 4 day weekend from work the last four days of the month. The only thing for sure planned is to go to the movies.

Summer is my least favorite season.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/17/21 at 3:50 pm

Cat

Same here!

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/17/21 at 5:46 pm

I like summer as most of the time I don’t have to bundle up. I can get things done outside that require moderate temperatures like painting etc. I like mowing, camping, etc. In that regard I wish it was longer, I had frost the first day of summer and guarantee I will before the equinox. I keep an ice scraper in my car year round because I’ve needed it every month of the year at some time or another.

What I don’t like is this area gets completely overrun by tourists in the summer. That’s why summer is considered from Memorial Day to Labor Day. But who knows anymore, the only reason people went home is work, and kids had to go back to school. With remote learning and work, they can stay here indefinitely. But the brutal/long winter usually makes them say never again haha. Last winter was mild but still long, maybe this one will be a doozy. I got my pellets, snowblower, Jeep…

I like fall when it is dry. It is the prettiest season. Only thing is lake effect rain, it can rain for 3 weeks straight until it turns to snow. I’ve chipped ice in August. I had leaves changing behind my house 2 weeks ago. September is fall. October starts snow. November is a crapshoot, have had snowstorms the entire month, and have had a 70f Thanksgiving. December is guaranteed full on winter. Fall is a resurgence of tourists, which peaks at peak color season, after that I can hope we got a bit of good weather left. Only difference is while the summer ones drive like speed demons, the fall ones drive like they’re drunk or half asleep. Traffic jams on rural roads. It doesn’t help that all these magazines keep touting our area as a tourist destination.

Spring is my least favorite season. If you can even call it that. No blooming flowers or anything pretty. Just mud and dirty snow, in layers as it keeps snowing and melting like a yo yo. You think it’s over, but if you’re a long time resident you don’t get your hopes up because you know better, it keeps coming back till about Mother’s Day. Just learn to give up till then. A joke that’s been around forever is Michigan has 4 seasons. Almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction. Or whatever you choose that you can only do 3 months out of the year.

Written By: nally on 08/17/21 at 7:53 pm

Am I the only one here who actually hates summer lol Fall is the best for not only the cooler weather but the way it looks outside. The leaves and pumpkins. It gets me excited for Halloween!  The humidity is really bad for me and my mom so we’re not fans of summer.

Personally, I like all the seasons; that is, I find things to enjoy about all of them. Yeah, summer does tend to get very hot (and in some cases, unbearable depending on where you live), but I have always enjoyed it since I was a kid. Especially since my birthday is in it.

Good luck with that!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/17/21 at 8:50 pm

This Thursday on my day off I am going to the walk in clinic in the morning to see if this loss of sense of smell is COVID related, I hope when I get the free check-up it doesn't come back as positive for the results, most likely this thing will hopefully go away and I will get my sense of smell back.

Oh no Howard, take good care!  Hoping the test is negative.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/17/21 at 9:01 pm

I hope the check up comes back negative for Covid. Please take care.

Written By: nally on 08/17/21 at 11:03 pm

I still haven't been tested for it yet myself.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/21 at 4:32 am

Cat

I just don't like when it gets too hot.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/21 at 4:34 am

Oh no Howard, take good care!  Hoping the test is negative.

It's probably nothing so we'll see when I get there.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/21 at 4:34 am

Thanks. :)

Written By: karen on 08/18/21 at 5:47 am

Howard, if you think you might have Covid I think you should prioritise getting tested. Otherwise you could be walking around passing on the disease to people. And potentially putting your parents at risk of getting it from you.

Written By: Ripley on 08/18/21 at 10:47 am

Cat

✋ high five

Written By: Howard on 08/18/21 at 3:17 pm

Howard, if you think you might have Covid I think you should prioritise getting tested. Otherwise you could be walking around passing on the disease to people. And potentially putting your parents at risk of getting it from you.

I meant I hope it comes back negative, that's what I meant to say.

Written By: karen on 08/18/21 at 3:41 pm

I meant I hope it comes back negative, that's what I meant to say.

I am saying you shouldn’t have waited to go to the walk in clinic. If you think you have Covid you should get tested ASAP not wait till it is convenient

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/18/21 at 6:11 pm

I am saying you shouldn’t have waited to go to the walk in clinic. If you think you have Covid you should get tested ASAP not wait till it is convenient

I’m sure my dad had Covid in January and so is he. But I think he waited too long because by the time he went in, he tested negative 3 times. Once by himself and twice in the hospital where it messed him up pretty good for awhile. Took him a couple months to get feeling ok again.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/21 at 12:20 am

It's possible I'm on the Aspergers spectrum! This isn't an excuse to be loud and crass, or blunt and crude! But, it played a part in my meltdowns on here!
I remember my meltdown towards Karen and Snozberries! Looking back, those were possible Autistic meltdowns, add in that my parents aren't the most understanding people of mental health and Autism, in general!

Karen was graceful and nice enough to forgive me, even though I was a pompous ass towards her! Aspergers isn't an excuse, but it played a fraction of a big part! It's an explanation, not an excuse!

I will slowly fade away from this website the next three years, or so! But, I just wanted to let people know what was happening in my life to lead me to be so crass a few years ago!

Written By: Howard on 08/19/21 at 6:16 am

I’m sure my dad had Covid in January and so is he. But I think he waited too long because by the time he went in, he tested negative 3 times. Once by himself and twice in the hospital where it messed him up pretty good for awhile. Took him a couple months to get feeling ok again.

My Parents had a bit of COVID last year, My Father had to go the hospital as well as My Mother too and they were messed up but it took them months to recover from it.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/21 at 1:37 pm

Good news everyone, I got the results from the test this morning and I'm negative, they did the cotton swab up my nose and I got the results in my email hours later so it probably turned out to be clogged up nose, that's probably why I can't smell certain things right now, so I have nothing to worry about, everything is good to go.  :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/19/21 at 2:48 pm

Good news everyone, I got the results from the test this morning and I'm negative, they did the cotton swab up my nose and I got the results in my email hours later so it probably turned out to be clogged up nose, that's probably why I can't smell certain things right now, so I have nothing to worry about, everything is good to go.  :)

O0 Good news indeed!  Glad to hear it.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/19/21 at 6:09 pm

Good!  :)

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/19/21 at 10:45 pm

Good to hear! I wish Michigan would actually give results. They just say if you don’t hear anything in a few days then assume you’re negative, they won’t actually give you a negative result. I thought it was a rural up north thing until U of M told me they do it the same way.

Written By: nally on 08/19/21 at 11:01 pm

That's great! I'm glad it went successfully. O0

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/19/21 at 11:51 pm

Good news everyone, I got the results from the test this morning and I'm negative, they did the cotton swab up my nose and I got the results in my email hours later so it probably turned out to be a clogged up nose, that's probably why I can't smell certain things right now, so I have nothing to worry about, everything is good to go.  :)

It pays to take your health seriously.  Congrats Howard!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/19/21 at 11:57 pm

I got my first haircut in over a year.  The hairstylist joked that I had "a lot of hair" and I said, "I haven't had a haircut in over a year!"!  We were having a lot of fun while the lady was cutting my hair.  Oh, it felt so good to not feel like Cousin It.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/21 at 4:36 am

O0 Good news indeed!  Glad to hear it.

My Father thinks it could've been a side effect from the virus, I hope to get back my sense of smell soon.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/20/21 at 8:31 am

My Father thinks it could've been a side effect from the virus, I hope to get back my sense of smell soon.

How can it be a side effect of the virus when you were told you didn't have the virus??  ???  ???  ???

Written By: karen on 08/20/21 at 9:02 am

How can it be a side effect of the virus when you were told you didn't have the virus??  ???  ???  ???

From when he had it before probably

Written By: Howard on 08/20/21 at 3:21 pm

My Parents both had a bit of the virus and that put them in the hospital last year and I had to quarantine myself for 10 days upstairs in my room until that time period was over, I could resume what I was doing.

I'd like to know myself as to why it was a side effect when I didn't have the virus. ???

Written By: Howard on 08/20/21 at 3:21 pm

From when he had it before probably

The only thing I can remember is that I just had a slight cold.

Written By: karen on 08/20/21 at 4:00 pm

My Parents both had a bit of the virus and that put them in the hospital last year and I had to quarantine myself for 10 days upstairs in my room until that time period was over, I could resume what I was doing.

I'd like to know myself as to why it was a side effect when I didn't have the virus. ???

Did you have a test then when your parents were ill?

Is that when you noticed you had lost your sense of smell or was it more recent?

Written By: Howard on 08/21/21 at 4:35 am

Did you have a test then when your parents were ill?

Is that when you noticed you had lost your sense of smell or was it more recent?

Yes I got the test when they both got sick last year, that's when I went to the walk-in clinic.

I think I caught just a slight cold from what I can remember but it had nothing to do with COVID.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/21/21 at 2:30 pm

I am worried. Henri is heading right for 2 of my sisters.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 08/21/21 at 6:09 pm

I am worried. Henri is heading right for 2 of my sisters.

Cat

It was a tropical storm and now it is a hurricane cat.1. I live in Rhode Island and it is heading this way. I just hope it won't be a cat.2 or 3.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/21/21 at 6:30 pm

It was a tropical storm and now it is a hurricane cat.1. I live in Rhode Island and it is heading this way. I just hope it won't be a cat.2 or 3.

I forgot that you are also in its path (along with Danoota & Max). 

Please stay safe.

Cat

Written By: nally on 08/21/21 at 7:41 pm

I hope it doesn't either. I am praying that you stay safe from it.

Written By: kr37 on 08/21/21 at 7:53 pm

Yes, please stay safe, and everyone else who lives near where the hurricane will be too. I've heard it could be a big storm.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/21/21 at 7:55 pm

I forgot that you are also in its path (along with Danoota & Max). 

Please stay safe.

Cat

I hope it doesn't either. I am praying that you stay safe from it.

Yes, please stay safe, and everyone else who lives near where the hurricane will be too. I've heard it could be a big storm.

Thanks. It is still a hurricane which isn't good at all.  :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/21/21 at 10:04 pm

With the approach of Henri, wishing and praying safety for all our East Coast peeps in its potential path...

Written By: Howard on 08/22/21 at 7:34 am

New York has a Category 1 hurricane and it will mostly be out of here by mid afternoon.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/21 at 7:35 am

With the approach of Henri, wishing and praying safety for all our East Coast peeps in its potential path...

Thanks.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/22/21 at 9:54 am

New York has a Category 1 hurricane and it will mostly be out of here by mid afternoon.

It caused the cancellation after only an hour or so of the big concert in Central Park last night that was supposed to celebrate the "re-opening of New York" or whatever the hell it was, feature Bruce Springsteen and numerous other superstars. Talk about fate! I thought it was the dumbest, most idiotic idea ever to have that concert, with the virus still raging like wildfire. Granted, everybody who went was supposed to show proof of vaccination and all that, but COME ON. People can get around that in a second. Plus, as we are seeing, it is possible for vaccinated people to still get the virus. A giant super-spreader event like a Bruce Springsteen concert in Central Park in New York is simply idiotic at this time. What kind of nitwits are running that place? It took an "act of God" to shut the thing down. Somebody should take the hint.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/22/21 at 2:30 pm

I had been waiting for my nieces to stop by all day. When I finally decided to come up to the office and turn on the computer, there was a message saying that they will be here NEXT week! Tomorrow, I was planning on bringing boxes up from the basement to go through and start getting ready for my yard sale next month. I put it off until now because I wanted the house to look half way decent for them since they haven't seen the house yet. I really don't want to wait another week to start that because I don't know how long it will take me and I want to get most of it done BEFORE the sale. So, next week, either the house is going to look like a tornado came through or I will manage to get things somewhat organized before they come.

(Oh, and now we have a bowl of fresh fruit sitting on the coffee table that we will have to eat. Of course that is not a hardship for us.)

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/21 at 5:03 am

Family crisis (non-Covid) nearly over, now stuck at home (alone).

There must be plenty to catch up on?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/21 at 5:08 am

Please, all our east coast members please take good care with the hurricane.

Written By: nally on 08/24/21 at 12:11 am

Glad you are back. Hope you are doing fine. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/21 at 4:35 am

Glad you are back. Hope you are doing fine. :)
Thank you

All is fine, and happy to be back.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/21 at 7:21 am

Welcome Back. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/21 at 7:23 am

Welcome Back. :)
Thank you.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/24/21 at 4:31 pm

It's nice to see you back, Philip. :)

Written By: violet_shy on 08/24/21 at 8:31 pm

I just love getting together with old friends. Just recently I was contacted by a friend of mine who I had not seen in months. I was super happy to hear from her again. We texted for a while which was nice. I am planning a nice get together with her and do some catching up over tea and pastries! There is so much to chat about. Hopefully we will get together in the coming week ahead. Should be super fun.

Written By: nally on 08/25/21 at 12:06 am

I just love getting together with old friends. Just recently I was contacted by a friend of mine who I had not seen in months. I was super happy to hear from her again. We texted for a while which was nice. I am planning a nice get together with her and do some catching up over tea and pastries! There is so much to chat about. Hopefully we will get together in the coming week ahead. Should be super fun.

Sounds great - I hope it works out for ya! :)

Written By: Howard on 08/25/21 at 4:32 am

Enjoy your get-together.

Written By: karen on 08/26/21 at 4:39 pm

Nearly the end of August. Back to work for me next week.

Normally we would be going away for this holiday weekend. There is normally an orienteering competition in Yorkshire and we go and camp for the weekend with others from our club. Unfortunately it isn’t happening in the same way this year. We are going up on Saturday just for one day of the competition.

On Sunday we are going to Stratford on Avon for the day. Elizabeth will be meeting up with her boyfriend Paul.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/26/21 at 6:14 pm

Nearly just had a heart attack because our smoke detectors went off-AGAIN for no reason. I told Carlos that I think it is time to call the electrician.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/27/21 at 4:39 am

Nearly just had a heart attack because our smoke detectors went off-AGAIN for no reason. I told Carlos that I think it is time to call the electrician.

Cat

Ours too go off for no apparent reason, it's time to get the batteries checked out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/21 at 5:49 am

Cat
In one sense, at least you know the alarm works?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/21 at 1:37 pm

In one sense, at least you know the alarm works?

True-but sometimes they go off in the middle of the night!  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: nally on 08/28/21 at 11:04 pm

Cat

Don'tcha just hate that?

We have to change the batteries in ours every couple years or so. I have been keeping a log of when we've replaced each one.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/28/21 at 11:16 pm

Cat

By law, if a smoke detector is going to start (loudly) beeping because it needs batteries, it MUST happen in the middle of the night when everybody id asleep.  ;D

I no longer use smoke detectors that need batteries. I have replaced ail mine with the kind that lasts for ten years and then you throw it out and get another one. They're basically the same price and I've had no problems with them. No more middle of night beeping.

Written By: nally on 08/28/21 at 11:17 pm

I no longer use smoke detectors that need batteries. I have replaced ail mine with the kind that lasts for ten years and then you throw it out and get another one. They're basically the same price and I've had no problems with them. No more middle of night beeping.

I have contemplated investing in those. I think I've seen some on QVC and/or HSN fairly recently.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/28/21 at 11:30 pm

I have contemplated investing in those. I think I've seen some on QVC and/or HSN fairly recently.

Better to get it on Amazon (where I got mine) or at a store. Everybody from CVS to Home Depot to Walgreens and Walmart has them, as well as any hardware store. Don't get involved with these TV shopping networks. They're so slimy.

Written By: nally on 08/28/21 at 11:40 pm

Better to get it on Amazon (where I got mine) or at a store. Everybody from CVS to Home Depot to Walgreens and Walmart has them, as well as any hardware store.

Great! It seems you can get plenty of stuff on Amazon.

Don't get involved with these TV shopping networks. They're so slimy.

Sometimes we buy clothing items on there, such as Barefoot Dreams products.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/21 at 7:29 am

Cat

If it went off in the middle of the night, I'd just let the batteries die out.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/29/21 at 9:16 am

If it went off in the middle of the night, I'd just let the batteries die out.

The batteries have already died out, Howard. The beeping is to let you know just that. And I guarantee you, you would not let it just keep beeping. It is so shrill and piercing.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/21 at 1:23 pm

The batteries have already died out, Howard. The beeping is to let you know just that. And I guarantee you, you would not let it just keep beeping. It is so shrill and piercing.

I'm still sleeping and I don't want to be disturbed in the middle of the night so I'd do it in the morning when I wake up, take a shower and after that, replace it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/21 at 2:09 pm

By law, if a smoke detector is going to start (loudly) beeping because it needs batteries, it MUST happen in the middle of the night when everybody id asleep.  ;D

Yeah, I know that is the law. But this is NOT beeping-this is a full fledged alarm. They will go off and last about 30 seconds or so and then shut off. Of course that 30 seconds is enough to get my heart racing thinking that my house is on fire. And I am sound asleep when it happens, yeah, talk about a rude awakening.

With the non-battery ones, how do you know when it is time for replacement?

Don'tcha just hate that?

We have to change the batteries in ours every couple years or so. I have been keeping a log of when we've replaced each one.

You should change them more than that. They suggest doing it each time we change our clocks (Daylight Savings Time). I don't go that far but I do change them once a year.

Cat

Written By: nally on 08/29/21 at 10:34 pm

You should change them more than that. They suggest doing it each time we change our clocks (Daylight Savings Time). I don't go that far but I do change them once a year.

Cat

If so, then I should probably set a date to do so. (However, there is a part of me that wants to get maximum use out of the batteries.)

With the non-battery ones, how do you know when it is time for replacement?

I wouldn't know myself, unless I get one and the packaging says something about it.

Written By: nally on 08/29/21 at 10:36 pm

I'm still sleeping and I don't want to be disturbed in the middle of the night so I'd do it in the morning when I wake up, take a shower and after that, replace it.

But the beeping/chirping noises will not go away until you do something about it. You can't sleep through that.

And I guarantee you, you would not let it just keep beeping. It is so shrill and piercing.

This.

Written By: nally on 08/29/21 at 10:42 pm

On a completely different note...I have had a relaxing (for the most part) weekend. Tomorrow it's back to work for me.

Next weekend, of course, is a holiday weekend with Labor Day, so I will have a day off.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/31/21 at 10:17 pm

I ordered myself a copy of the updated MTO Driver's Handbook.  I'm finally going to try and get the first part of my driver's license.  I've been ready for it for a long time.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: nally on 08/31/21 at 10:21 pm

I ordered myself a copy of the updated MTO Driver's Handbook.  I'm finally going to try and get the first part of my driver's license.  I've been ready for it for a long time.  ;D ;D ;D

Good luck with that! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/21 at 2:29 am

Goodbye to August!

Written By: Howard on 09/01/21 at 4:13 am

Goodbye to August!

Can't believe it's September already. :o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/01/21 at 9:45 am

I turn 45 next Tuesday.  That's a big number.  It's halfway to 50.  ;D ;D ;D Because when the working day is done girls just want to have fun!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/01/21 at 9:49 am

I turn 45 next Tuesday.  That's a big number.  It's halfway to 50.  ;D ;D ;D Because when the working day is done girls just want to have fun!

I'm not sure where you get that math. 25 is halfway to 50. But I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. 50 is the new 32!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/01/21 at 3:20 pm

I'm getting close to 50 in just a couple of years.

Written By: nally on 09/01/21 at 7:54 pm

And the new thread is right here: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=63264.0

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/01/21 at 8:15 pm

I'm not sure where you get that math. 25 is halfway to 50. But I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. 50 is the new 32!  ;)

What I mean is that 45 is halfway between 40 and 50.  ;D But thank you anyway.

Check for new replies or respond here...