inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Things you shouldnt pour down the drain

Written By: Dude111 on 09/28/21 at 2:26 am

There are many things we pour down the drain that can cause mayhem in household pipes,septic systems or municipal severs.

What do You do or dont pour down the kitchen drain?

www.mashed.com/42320

I have put milk down alot...

Ah man!!

Subject: Re: Things you shouldnt pour down the drain

Written By: Howard on 09/28/21 at 4:25 am

It is obvious on what not to flush down the sink, if solid, liable to clog the pipes and drains.

And you'd wind up calling a plumber.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/21 at 4:52 am

It is obvious on what not to flush down the sink,
If solid, it's liable to cause a stink.

Subject: Things you shouldnt pour down the drain

Written By: Dude111 on 09/28/21 at 7:18 pm

I can see why they say dont pour FATS because when they cool they get hard.....

Written By: karen on 09/29/21 at 3:50 am

I can see why they say dont pour FATS because when they cool they get hard.....

We keep an old custard powder container in the fridge and pour our fats into that. The container is mixed metal and card, so it can’t be recycled easily. Might as well use it for something useful.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/21 at 4:12 am

Liverpool 200-tonne fatberg 'eaten from inside out' in removal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-57203734

A huge fatberg has been removed from a city sewer after engineers came up with a new idea to clear it which "literally ate it from the inside out".

Written By: karen on 09/29/21 at 12:35 pm

Having actually read the article I can see that it is more talking about “things you shouldn’t put down a garbage disposal”.

Garbage disposal machines aren’t that common in the U.K. This house had one fitted when we looked around it, but the home owner took it with him. We could have complained because it was included on the list of contents, but he left a nice bathroom mirror that he hadn’t listed in the house contents

Written By: violet_shy on 10/08/21 at 1:38 pm

Eggs

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/21 at 1:43 pm

Eggs
Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached or natural?

Written By: violet_shy on 10/08/21 at 1:47 pm

Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached or natural?

Poached or natural

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/18/21 at 9:12 am

Baking soda! This is in direct contrast to a commercial for Arm & Hammer Baking Soda that used to run on TV in the 70s and 80s. maybe later than that. A woman was talking about keeping an open box of baking soda in the refrigerator to absorb strong smells. This is a common practice and it works fairly well. After three months one is supposed to replace the baking soda with a new box. So far, so good. But then the woman went on to say that one should pour the old box down the kitchen drain "to keep IT fresh smelling". (The emphasis on "IT" was in the commercial). I decided to try this. It never occurred to be that I didn't have a problem with smelly drains, nor did anybody I knew. So I poured the box down the drain. Well, it congealed into a think paste and clogged everything up! It took ages to unclog it. Trust me, don't pour baking soda down the drain, you'll regret it. Your drain probably doesn't smell anyway.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/21 at 9:16 am

Baking soda! This is in direct contrast to a commercial for Arm & Hammer Baking Soda that used to run on TV in the 70s and 80s. maybe later than that. A woman was talking about keeping an open box of baking soda in the refrigerator to absorb strong smells. This is a common practice and it works fairly well. After three months one is supposed to replace the baking soda with a new box. So far, so good. But then the woman went on to say that one should pour the old box down the kitchen drain "to keep IT fresh smelling". (The emphasis on "IT" was in the commercial). I decided to try this. It never occurred to be that I didn't have a problem with smelly drains, nor did anybody I knew. So I poured the box down the drain. Well, it congealed into a think paste and clooged everything up! It took ages to unclog it. Trust me, don't pour baking soda down the drain, you'll regret it. Your drain probably doesn't smell anyway.
Thank you. I'll keep my baking soda in the cupboard, and by chance I was thinking of getting something to clear-up my piping.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/18/21 at 9:39 am

Baking soda! This is in direct contrast to a commercial for Arm & Hammer Baking Soda that used to run on TV in the 70s and 80s. maybe later than that. A woman was talking about keeping an open box of baking soda in the refrigerator to absorb strong smells. This is a common practice and it works fairly well. After three months one is supposed to replace the baking soda with a new box. So far, so good. But then the woman went on to say that one should pour the old box down the kitchen drain "to keep IT fresh smelling". (The emphasis on "IT" was in the commercial). I decided to try this. It never occurred to be that I didn't have a problem with smelly drains, nor did anybody I knew. So I poured the box down the drain. Well, it congealed into a think paste and clogged everything up! It took ages to unclog it. Trust me, don't pour baking soda down the drain, you'll regret it. Your drain probably doesn't smell anyway.

You didn't use enough water

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/18/21 at 9:51 am

You didn't use enough water

Actually I used a lot of water. That's what turned it into a paste. If there was a mistake I made it may be that I poured too much baking soda at once down the drain. I'd still avoid it at all in the future.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/21 at 8:42 am

Actually I used a lot of water. That's what turned it into a paste. If there was a mistake I made it may be that I poured too much baking soda at once down the drain. I'd still avoid it at all in the future.
I will need this advice.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/19/21 at 1:25 pm

If you poured vinegar after the baking soda, it would have cleaned out your drain.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/19/21 at 1:43 pm

If you poured vinegar after the baking soda, it would have cleaned out your drain.

Cat

It also may have launched the sink into space.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/19/21 at 2:06 pm

Cat

Then what about Draino?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/21 at 2:08 pm

Cat
Hopefully not a silly question, but any vinegar will do, or does it have to be a certain kind?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/19/21 at 2:13 pm

Hopefully not a silly question, but any vinegar will do, or does it have to be a certain kind?

Probably plain cider vinegar. Or white vinegar. I use white vinegar to clean my coffee maker.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/19/21 at 2:21 pm

Napalm.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/19/21 at 2:27 pm

It also may have launched the sink into space.  ;D

Actually, to clean out the drain, use a BIT of baking soda and vinegar. The bubbling action will clean things out. But you are right if you have an entire box of baking soda, things could explode.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/21 at 2:29 pm

Actually, to clean out the drain, use a BIT of baking soda and vinegar. The bubbling action will clean things out. But you are right if you have an entire box of baking soda, things could explode.

Cat
Just a spoonful of soda helps the blockage go down?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/19/21 at 2:33 pm

Just a spoonful of soda helps the blockage go down?

Yup-or maybe two.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/21 at 3:24 pm

Napalm.
I love the smell of baking soda in the morning!

Written By: Contigo on 10/19/21 at 3:42 pm

Napalm.

Damn I really should stop doing that . Thanks for the heads up .
;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/19/21 at 4:23 pm

Napalm.
Does Napalm contain baking soda?

Written By: Ripley on 11/05/21 at 10:24 am

Cat litter. That crap (literal crap 😁) will clog it.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/05/21 at 12:27 pm

Damn I really should stop doing that . Thanks for the heads up .
;D

You're welcome. Glad I could be of some help.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...