inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The mysteries of having a "Deja Vu" experience

Written By: Dude111 on 10/17/21 at 1:20 am

Does anybody find the experience of "Deja Vu" strange and eire in a way? I have had a few "Deja Vu" experiences in my life and I was wondering if any of you had experienced it also.

2 experiences I remember

1) It was snowing and we called to order a pizza... THEY SAID WE WERE THE LAST ONES THEY WOULD DELIVER TOO... (That happend exactly the year before or sometime...I still remember it to this day)

2) I was watching a TV show (Andy Griffth) and the same line was spoken and I felt wierd like I had seen this same show before and this same line was spoken!!

Def strange.... Maybe the movie THE MATRIX has it right.... ITS A GLITCH IN THE MATRIX!!

Subject: Re: The mysteries of having a "Deja Vu" experience

Written By: NightmareFarm on 10/17/21 at 3:49 am

I don't believe in coincidences. You had them for a reason...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/17/21 at 9:12 am

Does anybody find the experience of "Deja Vu" strange and eire in a way? I have had a few "Deja Vu" experiences in my life and I was wondering if any of you had experienced it also.

2 experiences I remember

1) It was snowing and we called to order a pizza... THEY SAID WE WERE THE LAST ONES THEY WOULD DELIVER TOO... (That happend exactly the year before or sometime...I still remember it to this day)

2) I was watching a TV show (Andy Griffth) and the same line was spoken and I felt wierd like I had seen this same show before and this same line was spoken!!

Def strange.... Maybe the movie THE MATRIX has it right.... ITS A GLITCH IN THE MATRIX!!

We have to be clear on what a deja vu experience is here. Deja vu isn't just a repeat of something that happened before. if  you ordered a pizza and they said you were the last, and then you called again the next year and they said it again, that's not deja vu. That's just the same thing happening again. Deja vu is the feeling that something has happened to you before when you know realistically that it didn't happen in your life. For example, if you had never in your life before ordered a pizza, and then one day you did and they said "you're the last for tonight" and you had a strange feeling this somehow happened before-even though you KNOW you never before ever ordered a pizza--THAT'S deja vu.

Likewise with the Andy Griffith Show. Those shows are repeated over and over. You probably saw it before. IF, however, you know that you had never in your life seen that Andy Griffith Show, and you got the feeling you had heard it before, that's Deja Vu.

The way people throw around the term on a casual basis adds to this confusion. Say some people  go to a restaurant they like and they have to wait a long time for a table. A month later they go again and once again they have to wait. One of them says "do you get a feeling of deja vu? Didn't we do this before?". That's the WRONG use of the word! In true deja vu the person cannot be aware that they were in the same crowded restaurant doing the same thing a month before. Deja vu has to be unexplainable. The person would have to have never been in that restaurant before (in this lifetime or dimension)  to have a true deja vu experience.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/17/21 at 9:15 am

"It's deja vo all over again" - Yogi Berra

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/17/21 at 9:30 am

"It's deja vo all over again" - Yogi Berra

You beat me to it. I was about to post again, explaining that quote, so here goes.

Another reason the deja vu experience is misunderstood or misinterpreted in the modern world is partly because of a quote "it's deja vu all over again" attributed to legendary baseball player Yogi Berra. Although there is so doubt as to whether the quote actually originated with him. Here's an interesting article about it's origins, which seems to trace it's appearance to the mid-80s, which is exactly when I remember it starting to show up:

https://www.professorbuzzkill.com/berra-deja-vu/

Regardless of it's origins, it's what is known as a malapropism ( the usually unintentionally humorous misuse or distortion of a word or phrase). It's a funny enough phrase, and people originally used it as such. But somehow it came to actually overtake the word (and meaning) of 'deja vu" itself. Now when people say "it's deja vu all over again" they generally mean "it's deja vu", BUT, and this is a big BUT, they even mean "deja vu" in the wrong way. They again simply mean something that happened before that they are fully aware has happened before. (See my previous post). So they are making a double mistake. I even see newscasters make this mistake. If the local baseball team beats a team they beat last season, the newscaster will say "it's deja vu all over again". This is ridiculously wrong, but it is now very, very commonplace. It has nothing to do with the true deja vu experience at all, which, as I said in my previous post, is an UNEXPLAINABLE occurrence.

Written By: karen on 10/17/21 at 11:48 am

Yes, I would say deja vu feels almost like remembering a dream of someone saying something or seeing a place for the first time, but thinking you know it.

Subject: The mysteries of having a "Deja Vu" experience

Written By: Dude111 on 10/17/21 at 6:24 pm

I don't believe in coincidences. You had them for a reason...

Nope your right..... Everything happens for a reason!!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/17/21 at 8:34 pm

Yes, I would say deja vu feels almost like remembering a dream of someone saying something or seeing a place for the first time, but thinking you know it.

Exactly. When I have had genuine feelings of deja vuI wonder if I am remembering something I dreamed. Also, and nobody ever mentions this, part of the feeling of deja vu I have had is that when there is that feeling of "I feel like this happened before", in the "happened before" I am remembering there was also a feeling that it had happened before! Get it? In other words, it also "happened before" in the "happened before"!! So it kind of goes on and on to infinity. Like holding up a mirror to another mirror and getting that endless corridor of mirrors. Has anyone else ever had that feeling? It's a rare thing.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/27/21 at 5:02 pm

I experienced it many times when I was younger(teens and 20s). Doesn't happen much these days.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/29/21 at 5:59 pm

I was once at the Deja Vu nightclub in Lake Station, Indiana….

Written By: Ripley on 11/05/21 at 10:23 am

I experience it from time to time.

Check for new replies or respond here...