inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your December 2021 monthly thread

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/21 at 12:12 am

And now we enter the final month of 2021...

http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/santa/smiley.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/santa/smiley.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/santa/smiley.gif

White Rabbits!!

Subject: Re: Your December 2021 monthly thread

Written By: nally on 12/01/21 at 12:24 am

Where does the time go?! http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/santa/cheesy.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/21 at 2:32 am

Today is a good day to start writing my Christmas Cards and to begin to send them.

Written By: Howard on 12/01/21 at 4:04 am

Where does the time go?! http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/santa/cheesy.gif

I was just saying the same thing.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/21 at 6:34 am

Today is a good day to start writing my Christmas Cards and to begin to send them.

After many years of writing
Both Christmas cards and verse
I have now found out
My writing getting worse

Written By: Contigo on 12/01/21 at 9:47 am

Dec 1st...am already tired of hearing Christmas Carols  ;D

December, the month of office Christmas parties, my wife's workplace has one next week. I'm not sure what my previous workplace (before I retired) is doing, if they have a party or not.

Written By: Howard on 12/02/21 at 4:11 am

Dec 1st...am already tired of hearing Christmas Carols  ;D

December, the month of office Christmas parties, my wife's workplace has one next week. I'm not sure what my previous workplace (before I retired) is doing, if they have a party or not.

I'm constantly hearing Christmas songs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/21 at 5:01 am

On the radio, yes. In the shops, not yet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/21 at 8:56 am

Going out shopping
Oh me, oh my
Now I have to sort out
The last Xmas present to buy

Written By: karen on 12/02/21 at 11:16 am

School inspectors are in this week. Yesterday they came to look at our chemical storage and radioactive sources. Today and tomorrow they will be doing lesson observations. Some teachers interpret this as put on something slightly special to show how good everything is, others as let’s do an experiment so I don’t have to talk for an hour. Either way the result is more for us to do last minute.

It is also final rehearsals for our annual carol service with tableaux of religious paintings. I am on team make up again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/21 at 2:33 am

Today it is raining
As hard, as hard can be
So no walkie exercise
Just a local day for me

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/21 at 2:34 am

School inspectors are in this week. Yesterday they came to look at our chemical storage and radioactive sources. Today and tomorrow they will be doing lesson observations. Some teachers interpret this as put on something slightly special to show how good everything is, others as let’s do an experiment so I don’t have to talk for an hour. Either way the result is more for us to do last minute.

It is also final rehearsals for our annual carol service with tableaux of religious paintings. I am on team make up again.
The film "The China Syndrome" comes to mind here.

Written By: Howard on 12/03/21 at 4:02 am

On the radio, yes. In the shops, not yet.

They're playing in supermarkets.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/21 at 7:26 am

They're playing in supermarkets.
Not the supermarket I was in this morning.

Written By: nally on 12/03/21 at 10:24 pm

I still prefer to hear them in December, not anytime before.

However, occasionally I may decide to listen to one in a different month of the year. http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/webby/cheesy.gif Just for fun.

Written By: nally on 12/03/21 at 10:29 pm

Anyhoo, today ended a very busy week at the office for me. (But there's more to come on Monday!)

Now I can chillax for a couple of days. However, I have an appointment to get my booster shot tomorrow morning. And depending on what side effects I might get, I could very well take it easy tomorrow.

Written By: Howard on 12/04/21 at 7:50 am

Not the supermarket I was in this morning.

They've been playing them in King Kullen.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/05/21 at 5:30 pm

...I have an appointment to get my booster shot tomorrow morning. And depending on what side effects I might get, I could very well take it easy tomorrow.

O0 Kudos on getting your booster!  Hopefully it doesn't affect you too much with side effects...

Written By: nally on 12/05/21 at 11:03 pm

O0 Kudos on getting your booster!  Hopefully it doesn't affect you too much with side effects...

Well, I have felt kinda feverish, but that's all.

I should be fine tomorrow morning when I go to work.

Written By: nally on 12/05/21 at 11:05 pm

Btw, my dad is going in for a colonoscopy tomorrow; and all weekend he's been preparing for it. (He last had one 5 years ago.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/21 at 1:15 am

Spend another weekend with my family.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/21 at 4:13 am

Btw, my dad is going in for a colonoscopy tomorrow; and all weekend he's been preparing for it. (He last had one 5 years ago.)

Good Luck to him.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/21 at 5:35 am

It should be a straightforward procedure, hope it goes to plan for him.

Written By: nally on 12/06/21 at 10:52 pm

Good Luck to him.

It should be a straightforward procedure, hope it goes to plan for him.

Yes. The procedure went fine.

I'm probably gonna have to go through one myself in less than ten years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/21 at 12:39 am

Yes. The procedure went fine.

That is good to hear.

Written By: nally on 12/08/21 at 10:44 pm

So, while I'm working at the office this week, my parents have been gradually doing a little bit of decorating inside the house each day.

This weekend I will help assemble our tree, and start decorating it!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/21 at 12:24 am

It will be another day of being safe, only going out for a walk with no shopping involved.

Written By: nally on 12/10/21 at 8:06 pm

^That reminds me, I need to do some holiday shopping this weekend.

Also I gotta write out my cards!

Written By: nally on 12/11/21 at 11:36 am

This weekend I will help assemble our tree, and start decorating it!

I should also note, btw, that we have two trees this year. There is the one that we've had since 2015, with built-in white lights; it is going to be placed upstairs. The other tree, which we ordered from QVC this year, has built-in colored lights; we have already set that one up and put select ornaments on it. My parents wanted to do something different this year. Still, we are having fun with it.

Written By: karen on 12/11/21 at 12:48 pm

Parkrun this morning, then volunteering at the vaccine centre this afternoon.

Tomorrow I am orienteering in the morning. The event is very local, so I will cycle to it. James needs the car to drive to a karate class he is helping teach. Dai is in the Lake District orienteering coaching this weekend, and then in work up there for the week.

Written By: karen on 12/11/21 at 12:49 pm

Most of my cards are written, still one or two to post.  Also need to buy a present or two for Dai, but no idea what. And also make a voucher booklet of treats and outings for my dad.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/11/21 at 2:16 pm

Shopping is done and all the gifts are sitting on the coffee table waiting to be wrapped. The two birthday cards are created (I never buy birthday cards-I have a program that I create personal cards). Unfortunately, one of the birthdays is tomorrow and they gift has to be shipped out to California. Oh well. She will be getting her gift late (like she always does). The Christmas cards are waiting to be signed and mailed out. I was creating a Christmas letter but just had a hard time with it so I basically said "f*** it." The cards will go out without a letter.

I still have some decluttering to do and bring Christmas down from the attic. Then I get to decorate. Who knows when we will be getting our tree. Our Christmas will be on the 29th but we still need to get a tree before the 25th so they don't run out but we don't want to get it too early that it will dry out. This year, I have decided to make some sugar cookies-something I haven't done since last century. I also decided that I want to create a cheese platter. I love making platters (either cheese, fruit or veggie platters). The chef is in charge of getting the pork roast and making sure the food will be prepared.

BAH HUMBUG!!!!

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/11/21 at 10:31 pm

Spent the afternoon doing holiday decorating. First I finished the outdoor decorating, then I put ornaments on the tree. Still have a few more to put on.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/12/21 at 11:15 pm

Busy day of entertaining this evening.  Kept me hopping, with food prep, cleaning etc.  Didn't get on computer at all until tonite.  :o

Written By: Howard on 12/13/21 at 4:18 am

Busy day of entertaining this evening.  Kept me hopping, with food prep, cleaning etc.  Didn't get on computer at all until tonite.  :o

You're having a big crowd today? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/21 at 5:42 am

Had a wonderful weekend again with my granddaughter

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/13/21 at 1:47 pm

Finished wrapping the presents but haven't started the cards yet. Now, we have to mail the gifts going to California. Carlos bought the tree today. I wanted to wait until next week but it was a good thing he bought it today. He got the last tree on the lot. It looks a little small but that it ok. It was the last tree on the lot. Now, I have to bring Christmas down from the attic. Elvira & Josette have never bothered the tree in previous years. This will be Luna(Tic)'s first tree. It should be very interesting.  :-\\  BTW, did I mention that we got the last tree on the lot.

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/13/21 at 9:47 pm

Wow!

I hope all went well with that?

Written By: nally on 12/15/21 at 10:01 pm

Finished wrapping the presents but haven't started the cards yet.

I can relate (in a mixed way). I have ordered/bought all the gifts I want to give (although one item I ordered is on its way and will arrive later this week). As for cards, I've sent one out already (and it was received today)...but there are a few others I intend to write/send.

Written By: nally on 12/16/21 at 11:31 pm

So, we had rain on Tuesday this week...and this afternoon it came back. It even affected my commute home. It normally takes 30-35 minutes for me to make the commute one way (which includes 26 miles on U.S. Highway 101), but today it took more than an hour...because a good part of that route had plenty of heavy traffic. :o Thankfully, I got home safely.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/21 at 4:11 am

Today I celebrate 6 months at King Kullen. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/17/21 at 12:32 pm

I brought Christmas down from the attic. I had my wreaths inside a big garbage bag. As I was bringing that downstairs, I noticed a hole in the bottom of the bag. Uh oh! When I started taking the wreaths out of the bag, they had acorns painted red. Someone was hungry and ate the acorns. They didn't care if they were painted. They weren't painted inside. So now, I'm trying to figure out what else I can decorate them with. I'm not going to leave the empty shells of the acorns on them.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/17/21 at 1:39 pm

I brought Christmas down from the attic. I had my wreaths inside a big garbage bag. As I was bringing that downstairs, I noticed a hole in the bottom of the bag. Uh oh! When I started taking the wreaths out of the bag, they had acorns painted red. Someone was hungry and ate the acorns. They didn't care if they were painted. They weren't painted inside. So now, I'm trying to figure out what else I can decorate them with. I'm not going to leave the empty shells of the acorns on them.

Cat

Maybe you can find some stray pine cones around outside?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/17/21 at 2:44 pm

Maybe you can find some stray pine cones around outside?

I have plenty of pine cones. It is just lacks a lot of color now. I'm gonna see if I can find other things to decorate it with. Also, I would love to get new bows for them because the bows that are on them are...well...let's just say that they have seen better days.

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/17/21 at 9:43 pm

Happy work anniversary to you!

Written By: nally on 12/17/21 at 10:07 pm

So...today at my office, I had a whole list of things I planned to accomplish. But I ended up not really accomplishing any of them. This is because our network drives went down in the morning...and we had to call technical support so they could figure out the cause of it. That took several hours. By the time we finally got all our network drives back, I opened up Quickbooks... but it was slower than molasses. (IOW, it was anything but "quick"!) However, during the time we were without our network drives, we each found projects to work on.

My coworker will be away next week, so she couldn't do very much in the office on her behalf. Still, I made sure to wish safe travels to her.

And on Monday I will likely not be in the office because I'm on call for jury duty...so my boss will have the office to herself that day. Which means on Tuesday (assuming I get called in on Monday), I'm going to have a LOT of work to catch up on.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/21 at 7:12 am

Happy work anniversary to you!

Thanks.

Written By: Ripley on 12/18/21 at 3:35 pm

Hey congrats!

Written By: nally on 12/18/21 at 8:40 pm

Hey congrats!

Hi there Ripley! I hope you are doing well :)
Always great to see you on here.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/18/21 at 10:43 pm

Finally finished getting out the Christmas cards... 

Written By: nally on 12/18/21 at 10:47 pm

Great! O0

I mailed out two of them this morning, both to members on this site (one of whom hasn’t posted here in ages but I’m still in touch with on Facebook).

Written By: Howard on 12/19/21 at 3:21 am

Hey congrats!

Thanks, hope everything is going well on your side. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/21 at 1:52 pm

Finished mine, too. They are now sitting waiting to go out tomorrow-except the 2 that needs to be taking to the Post Office. Hopefully, everyone will get their cards before the new year.

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/20/21 at 2:44 pm

So I went in for jury service this morning, and did not get called to a panel.

When it was over, I called my boss to let her know, and she offered to let me work from home the rest of the day, which I will start at 1pm pst. This will be my first time working from home in nine months.

Written By: nally on 12/20/21 at 10:00 pm

So I went in for jury service this morning, and did not get called to a panel.

When it was over, I called my boss to let her know, and she offered to let me work from home the rest of the day, which I will start at 1pm pst. This will be my first time working from home in nine months.

The working from home did not go as planned; for the first few minutes it was okay...but then I started to have connection issues. However, with my boss's help, I was able to access my work email remotely and read some updated policies.

Written By: nally on 12/21/21 at 11:11 pm

So here's how my work day today (Tuesday) shaped up...

Bad news: my workstation computer was still not totally working properly. Even after we called a technician to come over and investigate the problem. (He couldn't get it totally back up.)

Good news: I was able to do my work anyways, because my boss had me log on to a different workstation with my username and password...and I was able to finally get some significant work accomplished! I began doing the work before the techie came to the office.

While the techie was in the office, he determined that my workstation will need to be rebuilt; that will be started tomorrow, and hopefully get finished by the end of the week.

Written By: nally on 12/22/21 at 10:53 pm

My new workstation computer is scheduled to arrive at my office sometime tomorrow. Meanwhile, I was able to get some of my work accomplished, but I still have plenty more of it to do. I hope I can complete it all before the end of the day tomorrow, because my office will be closed on Friday.

Written By: nally on 12/23/21 at 6:52 pm

I was able to complete all my work at the office today!

And that’s a good thing, because my boss decided she wanted to close the office an hour earlier than usual. So I left at 3:30 instead of the usual 4:30.

Traffic coming home was still congested, but that was likely due to all the rain we’re getting in So Cal.

Written By: nally on 12/24/21 at 2:45 pm

Spent the morning helping my parents get the house cleaned up. We're gonna have an open house tonight, with a few people dropping by (not necessarily at the same time).
One thing is for certain: my parents don't have any church responsibilities tonight, because they retired from their church work at the end of June.

Written By: nally on 12/24/21 at 5:36 pm

What is everyone else doing today and tomorrow for the holidays?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/24/21 at 5:50 pm

We already got our Jewish Christmas dinner-Chinese food. We got it tonight because things are supposed to get nasty overnight and we don't know if the Chinese place will be open tomorrow.

We do have a big pork roast in the refridge that will be cooked up next week when the kids will be here. Hopefully, I will have the decorations all in place by then.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/25/21 at 12:05 am

I'm exhausted after a busy day today - shopping, cooking, various other stuff.  Although we took a few minutes for us.

It's mow past midnight, so - Merry Christmas to all!  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/25/21 at 7:13 am

What is everyone else doing today and tomorrow for the holidays?

Nothing much, just going food shopping a little later with My Father.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/21 at 7:14 am

I'm exhausted after a busy day today - shopping, cooking, various other stuff.  Although we took a few minutes for us.

Merry Christmas to you and your Family, AG. :)

Written By: nally on 12/25/21 at 11:34 am

We already got our Jewish Christmas dinner-Chinese food. We got it tonight because things are supposed to get nasty overnight and we don't know if the Chinese place will be open tomorrow.

We do have a big pork roast in the refridge that will be cooked up next week when the kids will be here. Hopefully, I will have the decorations all in place by then.

Cat

Sounds good. Merry Christmas to you!

Written By: nally on 12/25/21 at 11:34 am

Merry Christmas to you too, A.G.!

Written By: nally on 12/25/21 at 11:36 am

So we had a few guests over last night; had a nice time with them. :)

More to come later.

Written By: Ripley on 12/25/21 at 12:56 pm

Merry Christmas guys! We didn’t do much. It doesn’t feel like it’s even Christmas what with no snow and 70 degree weather. 😵 I’m crossing my fingers though for some in January. 🤣

Written By: Ripley on 12/25/21 at 1:03 pm

Now for my news. Mom and I got our booster on Tuesday. Then on the 2 days that followed we had the same reactions as our 2nd dose, though not as severe. Yesterday we still had some body aches (we have normal aches due to our regular health but yeah this was additional). Today we feel normal besides my arm still hurting from the needle. 😌

Sorry I don’t post much. I do come on to check on you guys. I just have a lot of stress. But enjoy the rest of your holiday everyone!

Written By: nally on 12/25/21 at 1:12 pm

Sorry I don’t post much. I do come on to check on you guys. I just have a lot of stress. But enjoy the rest of your holiday everyone!

That's quite all right. We always enjoy your posts and your presence. :)

Glad you got the booster. I was a little sore after I got mine exactly 3 weeks ago.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/25/21 at 1:16 pm

Had a (very surprising) Christmas miracle last night. I'm sure everyone has been reading about my Christmas saga with the mouse that ate the decorations, the lights that wouldn't work, the tree that won't drink (and Luna is) and is shedding its needles and also peed all over the presents. I was also dealing with having holes put in my eyes. So, the last several weeks I have been on edge. I have had a knot in the pit of my stomach, heart palpitations, and even had an anxiety attack.

Last night after dinner, we were watching t.v. (well, I was listening because I was playing on my tablet). I was wondering if I needed help-if I needed to see a councilor about my anxiety and if I will ever get rid of this knot in the pit of my stomach.

The "chef" brought out a chocolate orange for dessert. I had a couple of pieces and I was really shocked because that knot went away. I felt calm.  :o I ate more of the chocolate and realized that I was really calm. Carlos was going to save half of the chocolate orange for another day but I told him that I was thinking that I NEEDED to eat more of it. I thought about the dementors from Harry Potter and how chocolate helped.

WOW! What a difference in just eating a couple of pieces of chocolate. Who knew? Don't know how long it will last. Today I am not feeling as calm as I did last night but I'm not feeling as anxious as I had been in the last few days. I'm still concerned about the tree not drinking and losing its needles but it is not too bad today. I guess I am going to have to stock up on the chocolate.

So MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE and have some chocolate!

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/25/21 at 1:45 pm

Merry Christmas guys! We didn’t do much. It doesn’t feel like it’s even Christmas what with no snow and 70 degree weather. 😵 I’m crossing my fingers though for some in January. 🤣

Good to see you Ripley, Merry Christmas. :)

Written By: karen on 12/26/21 at 3:57 pm

Hope everyone who is celebrating is having a great time

Various plumbing problems have presented a challenge this holiday. We had water coming in the ceiling of a downstairs room last week. One toilet is now out of action. Another has an easy access seat fitted to it for Dai’s mum to use. And the sewer also needed unblocking.

Dai, Elizabeth and I went to Parkrun on Christmas Day. Then we came back and joined Dai’s mum and James for breakfast pastries before opening the presents.

Dai and Elizabeth cooked lunch - turkey and all the trimmings. We watched a film in the afternoon.

Today we had our traditional (for us) Boxing Day lunch of  turkey, chips and bubble and squeak. This afternoon we went for a walk. Dai stayed with his mum and just went for a very short walk and then to a cafe for hot chocolate. I went with the kids around the country park. It was quite foggy so we didn’t go to the very top of the hill to see the views as there weren’t any!

Tomorrow I am volunteering at the vaccine centre again.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/21 at 4:09 pm

Hope everyone who is celebrating is having a great time

Various plumbing problems have presented a challenge this holiday. We had water coming in the ceiling of a downstairs room last week. One toilet is now out of action. Another has an easy access seat fitted to it for Dai’s mum to use. And the sewer also needed unblocking.

Dai, Elizabeth and I went to Parkrun on Christmas Day. Then we came back and joined Dai’s mum and James for breakfast pastries before opening the presents.

Dai and Elizabeth cooked lunch - turkey and all the trimmings. We watched a film in the afternoon.

Today we had our traditional (for us) Boxing Day lunch of  turkey, chips and bubble and squeak. This afternoon we went for a walk. Dai stayed with his mum and just went for a very short walk and then to a cafe for hot chocolate. I went with the kids around the country park. It was quite foggy so we didn’t go to the very top of the hill to see the views as there weren’t any!

Tomorrow I am volunteering at the vaccine centre again.

Sounds like a good time-except the plumbing issues. Hopefully, you can get that squared away soon.

The "chef" once made bubble & squeak and it was REALLY good. But, he only made it once because he couldn't remember what he did. lol.

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/26/21 at 5:05 pm

Yesterday, we had my two uncles over for Christmas dinner. We were gonna invite a musician friend of ours from church as well, but she had to decline the invitation last week because she had a family member who urgently wanted to see her. Still, we had a nice time. :)

And today we are taking it easy before I have to go back to the office tomorrow.

Written By: karen on 12/27/21 at 11:12 am

Sounds like a good time-except the plumbing issues. Hopefully, you can get that squared away soon.

Dai fixed the blocked sewer (it happens from time to time so we have the kit). Plumber is coming at the end of January to fix the other issues. The water through the ceiling was from a leaking toilet cistern.

The "chef" once made bubble & squeak and it was REALLY good. But, he only made it once because he couldn't remember what he did. lol.

No real recipe here, just whatever leftover cooked vegetables there are from Christmas lunch. This time we had potatoes, carrots, Brussels sprouts and peas.

And today we are taking it easy before I have to go back to the office tomorrow.

Today is a holiday for most people in the U.K. because Christmas fell at a weekend.

I was helping in the vaccine centre this morning. There is a real push to get everyone in to have a booster. The publicity has made some previous sceptics come in for their first dose.

Tomorrow is a family walk in the afternoon meeting up with my brothers and some of their children and various dogs.

Written By: nally on 12/27/21 at 10:42 pm

Today is a holiday for most people in the U.K. because Christmas fell at a weekend.

...which makes sense. (However, in the States, whenever a constant holiday (that is, one that occurs on the same date every year) falls on a Saturday, it is sometimes observed on the preceding Friday. That's what my work place did. I know; different parts of the world handle it their own ways.)

I was helping in the vaccine centre this morning. There is a real push to get everyone in to have a booster. The publicity has made some previous sceptics come in for their first dose.

Tomorrow is a family walk in the afternoon meeting up with my brothers and some of their children and various dogs.

That's good. O0

Written By: nally on 12/27/21 at 10:45 pm

So...here is some good news to report: my new computer workstation at the office is finally up and running! :) This morning, a computer expert/techie came in to help get it connected...and by lunchtime, it was completely ready for me to do my work!

While I was waiting to use it, I found an offline project to work on, which involved packing up old paperwork and moving it into our storeroom.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/21 at 1:47 pm

With all the setbacks I have had in the last couple of weeks, I think it is safe to say that this place looks half way decent for our full house tomorrow. I still have a few things left to do (washing towels as I am writing this and maybe have another load to do). Our oldest granddaughter was going to bring a friend but we found out that she won't be coming. Unfortunately, my youngest step-daughter and her hoard will not make it. I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand, I would love to see them but on the other hand, that is 5 (6 counting the friend) less people who will be here. So we went from 14 (including us) down to 8. The "chef" cut the roast down so he won't be cooking the BIG @$$ roast but a more modest one and what is left over will be cooked another day.

I still can't wait until all of this is over with. They will be leaving on Thursday. I usually wait until the 2nd of January to take down the tree but I just might do it on Friday. Once the tree is down, I'm gonna to take a DAY OFF!

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/28/21 at 11:27 pm

With all the setbacks I have had in the last couple of weeks, I think it is safe to say that this place looks half way decent for our full house tomorrow. I still have a few things left to do (washing towels as I am writing this and maybe have another load to do). Our oldest granddaughter was going to bring a friend but we found out that she won't be coming. Unfortunately, my youngest step-daughter and her hoard will not make it. I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand, I would love to see them but on the other hand, that is 5 (6 counting the friend) less people who will be here. So we went from 14 (including us) down to 8. The "chef" cut the roast down so he won't be cooking the BIG @$$ roast but a more modest one and what is left over will be cooked another day.

I still can't wait until all of this is over with. They will be leaving on Thursday. I usually wait until the 2nd of January to take down the tree but I just might do it on Friday. Once the tree is down, I'm gonna to take a DAY OFF!

Cat

Good luck with all that!

Not sure how long we're gonna leave our tree up.

Written By: karen on 12/29/21 at 4:15 am

Good luck with all that!

Not sure how long we're gonna leave our tree up.

I was brought up with the notion that it was bad luck to leave decorations up after Twelfth Night (6th January). In fact my parents would always leave decorations up until then rather than at a convenient weekend. Everyone I knew did this. More recently I have noticed people doing it at random times.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/21 at 11:19 am

I was brought up with the notion that it was bad luck to leave decorations up after Twelfth Night (6th January). In fact my parents would always leave decorations up until then rather than at a convenient weekend. Everyone I knew did this. More recently I have noticed people doing it at random times.

Of course you have people who leave theirs up almost all year round.  ::)

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/29/21 at 7:59 pm

We often leave ours up til Epiphany (6th January) or later.

There were a few years when we took it down before then...particularly when we had real trees. If it was getting too dry, then we'd need to take it down. (One such occurrence of this was on New Year's Eve in 2008.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/30/21 at 12:15 pm

All the best to the season!

I has been a wonderful festive holiday spent with my family.

...and now I have finally got my tablet to work.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/30/21 at 1:32 pm

After having the house full, it now seems very quiet. I must confess that I am glad that we didn't have the entire clan here. I think this year would have been very hard for me to endure. But, we had 3 of the grandkids which was great. All three of them seemed to LOVE their gifts.

The "chef" made a FABULOUS Puerto Rican meal (roast pork with rice & beans). Carlos' son made a loaf of bread. I made a cheese/fruit platter for when everyone arrived. There wasn't much left by the time dinner was ready. They brought cookies for dessert.

After we opened gifts today, Carlos' son made blueberry pancakes & bacon. I put out fruit. They left shortly after breakfast.

So now I debating how long to keep the tree up. Luna is already trying to drink the water again.  ::)

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/30/21 at 7:58 pm

I am very glad to hear of this. O0

For one of my Christmas gifts, I received a new protective case for my Tablet...but I have not turned it back on yet.

Written By: nally on 12/30/21 at 11:02 pm

After having the house full, it now seems very quiet. I must confess that I am glad that we didn't have the entire clan here. I think this year would have been very hard for me to endure. But, we had 3 of the grandkids which was great. All three of them seemed to LOVE their gifts.

The "chef" made a FABULOUS Puerto Rican meal (roast pork with rice & beans). Carlos' son made a loaf of bread. I made a cheese/fruit platter for when everyone arrived. There wasn't much left by the time dinner was ready. They brought cookies for dessert.

After we opened gifts today, Carlos' son made blueberry pancakes & bacon. I put out fruit. They left shortly after breakfast.

Glad to hear you had a nice time. O0

So now I debating how long to keep the tree up. Luna is already trying to drink the water again.  ::)

Cat

In all the years we had real trees (and a pet), our dogs never tried to drink water from the tree stand. After all, the dog had a dish of their own to drink from.

Written By: Howard on 12/31/21 at 3:51 am

Have a Happy New Year Phil. :)

Written By: karen on 12/31/21 at 7:53 am

Currently teaching Dai’s mum how to use an iPad

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/21 at 1:43 pm

Yesterday after everyone left, I hadn't seen Elvira around. Uh oh. I checked the library. Nope. I checked the spare bedroom. Nope. Oh man, did she get out when everyone was packing up? We opened the front door I don't know how many times calling to her. Nothing. She had gotten out before. I double checked the library and double checked the spare bedroom. Nope.

As we were heading upstairs for the night, I checked outside one more time. Nope. The library one more time. Nope. The spare bedroom-Well, guess who was in there ALL DAY!  ::)  I was relieved that she was not outside but I don't understand why she didn't come out when I checked the room TWICE! And of course her attitude is "What's YOUR problem?"

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/31/21 at 10:40 pm

So… I had a busy and productive final day of work in 2021. I was able to complete all my tasks before 4pm. In fact, all of us were done by that hour, so we all left the office by 4:15. Because of that, I got home earlier than usual. :)

After four straight years of working on New Year’s Eve, I will not need to do so again until 2024. (This is because it’ll fall on a weekend day next year and the year after.) That’s fine, though; I enjoy my job.

Now it is time for fun and games with my family as we enjoy the final hours of 2021.

Check for new replies or respond here...