inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the Nostalgia Ever Bearable?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/12/22 at 10:54 pm

It's downright suffocating for me right now.

Subject: Is the Nostalgia Ever Bearable?

Written By: Dude111 on 01/12/22 at 11:27 pm

I hear ya..... All we have left is garbage 

YES ITS HARD!!

Subject: Re: Is the Nostalgia Ever Bearable?

Written By: Contigo on 01/14/22 at 3:10 pm

Hello, I'm not sure I'm understanding this .
I have nostalgia for the 1960s and 1970s and I'm happy with all I remember and it gives me a good feeling inside and many good memories .
What is unbearable to you? Just asking .

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/14/22 at 9:36 pm

Hello, I'm not sure I'm understanding this .
I have nostalgia for the 1960s and 1970s and I'm happy with all I remember and it gives me a good feeling inside and many good memories .
What is unbearable to you? Just asking .

That I can't go back. That's actually the first in a medium-sized line of reasons.

Other reasons
Some of the stuff I'm nostalgic for is gone, forever. Because it was only found on the Internet. And I can't experience it again, even now, because I'm not sure if I remember the full extent of it.
I have a few years in mind I know I'd wish I could go back to. The majority of other years I am nostalgic for are ones I'm not sure I'd want to revisit, but that I like mere aspects of.
One site I recently made an account on, spacehey, does mimic old myspace a lot, but I'm not sure if I'll ever get the hang of coding a background on my page.
I feel cheated because I was born too late, I feel, in the line of generations before and after me. I remember just more than enough to be nostalgic, because I'll never forget how horrible my childhood was, and my current life still pales in comparison to the joys I was able to have back then, even if the joys always went back to moods of rage a.s.a.p. .
Even if I was born earlier, I may encounter way more literature in such a childhood biased towards older siblings then I'd be able to handle, perhaps making me give up on books as sources of entertainment.
I wish I could go back to having a simpler phone. Not only non-touchscreen, but from significantly earlier than today's age.
I remember when I never heard about the Brazilian rainforests being burned, and I wonder if there is indeed something I can do about the rainforests burning, but that I just lack determination.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/15/22 at 11:50 am

This is a relatively new phenomenon. It is Millennial or post-Millennial. People who actually feel oppressed by what they define as "nostalgia". 

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/15/22 at 12:51 pm

Being unhappy with the year (or decade) one is born in isn't new, but it seems to be a lot more prevalent these days.  One difference today is that it's so easy for people to "peek" into the past via available media artifacts from then.  When I was a kid, this wasn't the case.

Nonetheless, I'm a strong proponent of "bloom where you're planted".  None of us can control when or where we are born - we can only choose to make the best of the time and place we have available to us while we're here.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/15/22 at 4:44 pm

This is a relatively new phenomenon. It is Millennial or post-Millennial. People who actually feel oppressed by what they define as "nostalgia".

I don't understand why that'd be in quotes. It's not like I long for a period before my birth.
Though I must admit I'm momentarily happy because I just figured out, probably less than an hour ago, how to code a custom background into my spacehey profile.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/15/22 at 4:55 pm

I don't understand why that'd be in quotes. It's not like I long for a period before my birth.
Though I must admit I'm momentarily happy because I just figured out, probably less than an hour ago, how to code a custom background into my spacehey profile.

It's in quotes because it's something of a new meaning for, or maybe reaction to, nostalgia. I did take note that all that you mention as nostalgia took place in your lifetime. Everything in your posts seems legitimate.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/15/22 at 7:32 pm

It's in quotes because it's something of a new meaning for, or maybe reaction to, nostalgia. I did take note that all that you mention as nostalgia took place in your lifetime. Everything in your posts seems legitimate.

Oh. Thanks.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/15/22 at 8:21 pm

Oh. Thanks.

You're welcome. (I say "you're welcome". I never use the annoying "no worries"). I notice you are one of the younger people here who senses there was once much more SOUL or MEANING around and you acutely sense the lack of it nowadays. I suspect you feel it "hovers just beyond your reach", so to speak.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/15/22 at 9:30 pm

You're welcome. (I say "you're welcome". I never use the annoying "no worries"). I notice you are one of the younger people here who senses there was once much more SOUL or MEANING around and you acutely sense the lack of it nowadays. I suspect you feel it "hovers just beyond your reach", so to speak.

Maybe. I do feel things are less creative than they used to be. I also think there is overproduction, and that it partly makes the economy how bad it is.

If you meant one of those two things as possible examples of lack of meaning behind stuff nowadays, then I definitely get what you mean.

Or is it the feeling of being powerless from a political angle what you mean? I think I could try to think of some other things you may be referring to, but I don't know if I should because maybe I'm far off from what you're speaking of as it is.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/15/22 at 9:38 pm

Maybe. I do feel things are less creative than they used to be. I also think there is overproduction, and that it partly makes the economy how bad it is.

If you meant one of those two things as possible examples of lack of meaning behind stuff nowadays, then I definitely get what you mean.

Or is it the feeling of being powerless from a political angle what you mean? I think I could try to think of some other things you may be referring to, but I don't know if I should because maybe I'm far off from what you're speaking of as it is.

No, I don't mean political. Politics has ALWAYS been screwed up, though it does seem worse now. I just meant a general lack of soulfulness. Social media may have a lot to do with this. You're also one of the few young people here who understand the value of ownership vs. access. If you physically own the music they can't alter it or take it away.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/15/22 at 10:25 pm

No, I don't mean political. Politics has ALWAYS been screwed up, though it does seem worse now. I just meant a general lack of soulfulness. Social media may have a lot to do with this. You're also one of the few young people here who understand the value of ownership vs. access. If you physically own the music they can't alter it or take it away.

I think I notice a general lack of soulfulness as well.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/15/22 at 10:31 pm

I think I notice a general lack of soulfulness as well.

You DO. That's part of this oppressive nostalgia you are feeling.

Written By: aja675 on 01/16/22 at 3:57 am

Nonetheless, I'm a strong proponent of "bloom where you're planted".  None of us can control when or where we are born - we can only choose to make the best of the time and place we have available to us while we're here.
Oh, as someone who dislikes where they were born, I am wondering now if this is true. I'm wondering now if my angst about where I live could just be me finding an excuse to not allow my mind to shut up even now that the past is over, so I made a pact with myself that I should at least try to turn my brain off. (At the same time however, I feel like my criticisms about my location are objectively true.)

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 01/16/22 at 9:44 am

You DO. That's part of this oppressive nostalgia you are feeling.

I can believe that.

Written By: Contigo on 01/16/22 at 9:45 am

That I can't go back. That's actually the first in a medium-sized line of reasons.

Understand.

I was not aware of that. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/16/22 at 10:13 am

I was not aware of that.

Because, as I said, it's a somewhat new phenomenon, of which younger people are affected. Judging from posts on this site, any number of young people here seem oppressed by, for lack of a better phrase, the weight of the past. Culturally, they are trapped in loops. Expected loops. Like a pattern. Like "by the time I'm 35, 2000s nostalgia will be in full bloom", etc, etc.  I suspect this is largely due to the fact that, unlike when us Boomers were young, the entire history of everything is available at one's fingertips now.  Music, culture, etc. This seems to be interpreted now as a type of oppressive nostalgia.

Although the case of the OP here is a little different. He's a cool guy, and he seems to be mourning the passing of things in his own lifetime that he sees as better than what is being offered by society now. In many ways I see his point.

Check for new replies or respond here...