inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did ya ever fail a grade?

Written By: Dude111 on 01/22/22 at 5:45 pm

I was kept back in 4th grade. I guess I didnt concentrate enough or whatever.....

I had the same teacher the 2nd year of 4th that I had the first........

Subject: Re: Did ya ever fail a grade?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/25/22 at 4:13 pm

No - the opposite, actually; I was promoted a grade in-year (my 1st and 2nd grades occurred during a single school year).  From 2nd grade on, I was often the youngest in the class.  I still tended to get very good grades (As and Bs) up until college.  (In college I struggled with grades, especially early on - by the time I graduated, those many years, I'd pulled my GPA up to roughly a B-minus, which for engineering students could be good enough back then.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/25/22 at 4:35 pm

I ALMOST failed a class but not a grade. In my senior year, I took Music Theory which was the HARDEST class I EVER took in my life. It was an AP class and I couldn't even read music when I took it (still can't really). We had to conduct an orchestra, (which means we had to play in that orchestra as our classmates were conducting-I got to play the recorder), had to write 4 part harmony, had to not only name a piece and composer but also what era it was written in, had to preform a piece (I sang), and to me the hardest thing of all was to sight sing (which I blew down my leg).  My parents (both musicians) knew how hard it was so they cut me some slack. I told them that I was going to pass it but not to expect high marks. Passing was 65. I got a 69 and I was SOOOO proud of myself.

I almost failed a college math course but dropped it before that happened. It was a video course and I think it might had to do with the fact that every time I turned the video on, I fell asleep.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/25/22 at 5:53 pm

... In my senior year, I took Music Theory which was the HARDEST class I EVER took in my life. It was an AP class and I couldn't even read music when I took it (still can't really). We had to conduct an orchestra, (which means we had to play in that orchestra as our classmates were conducting-I got to play the recorder), had to write 4 part harmony, had to not only name a piece and composer but also what era it was written in, had to preform a piece (I sang), and to me the hardest thing of all was to sight sing (which I blew down my leg).  My parents (both musicians) knew how hard it was so they cut me some slack. I told them that I was going to pass it but not to expect high marks. Passing was 65. I got a 69 and I was SOOOO proud of myself.  ...

What a challenge - kudos!  O0

I almost failed a college math course but dropped it before that happened. It was a video course and I think it might had to do with the fact that every time I turned the video on, I fell asleep.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

I did fail one of my E.E. core classes.  That was a blessing in disguise - in failing the class I finally recognized that I didn't understand some of my core Calculus.  I'd taken the Calc at university (my previous school) and was given transfer credit for it, but really didn't understand it.  I went back to my course counselors and insisted to take that Calc class again so I'd understand it.  Great decision - things started clicking and then when I retook the failed E.E. class I got an A.  (The school let me "erase" the failed class from my GPA after I retook it.)  Yeah, sure all that cost me more in terms of tuition paid - but worth every penny.

Then there was "Thermodynamics".  I took that class four times - dropped it three times.  UGH!  The last time was my last semester in school.  The school let each student choose one class to take as "Pass/Fail".  Don't you know I did that with my Thermodynamics class.  I got a "D".  That's a "Pass", folks.  :D

Written By: nally on 01/25/22 at 8:02 pm

No. I never spent more than one year in any grade. However, I do know some people who did.

Written By: whistledog on 01/25/22 at 10:49 pm

I almost failed a grade, but it was agreed upon that if I take summer school, I would pass and I did.  Funny story though, the school that held summer school that year was a newly opened catholic high school.  One day, I noticed that the stairs that went up to the 2nd level were made of see through glass and the slime ball that I am, I was like girls in skirts + see through stairs = why am I not going to this school? :D

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/26/22 at 9:15 am

I almost failed a grade, but it was agreed upon that if I take summer school, I would pass and I did.  Funny story though, the school that held summer school that year was a newly opened catholic high school.  One day, I noticed that the stairs that went up to the 2nd level were made of see through glass and the slime ball that I am, I was like girls in skirts + see through stairs = why am I not going to this school? :D

Horndog!  ;)

I flunked Italian my freshman year at Rutgers U,  Got a D in English as well - great freshman year - NOT

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/27/22 at 2:11 pm

What a challenge - kudos!  O0

I did fail one of my E.E. core classes.  That was a blessing in disguise - in failing the class I finally recognized that I didn't understand some of my core Calculus.  I'd taken the Calc at university (my previous school) and was given transfer credit for it, but really didn't understand it.  I went back to my course counselors and insisted to take that Calc class again so I'd understand it.  Great decision - things started clicking and then when I retook the failed E.E. class I got an A.  (The school let me "erase" the failed class from my GPA after I retook it.)  Yeah, sure all that cost me more in terms of tuition paid - but worth every penny.

Then there was "Thermodynamics".  I took that class four times - dropped it three times.  UGH!  The last time was my last semester in school.  The school let each student choose one class to take as "Pass/Fail".  Don't you know I did that with my Thermodynamics class.  I got a "D".  That's a "Pass", folks.  :D

I could always do math concepts-get the right answer but never really knowing what I was doing. And I always need a calculator to do simple arithmetic.  :-[

10th grade Geometry: One day we were going over the homework. The teacher called on someone who said, "I didn't do it." She called on someone else who also said, "I didn't do it." She then went around to see who actually did their homework. 1/2 the class (including yours truly) didn't do it. She then said, "Well, since you all think you know this, you can pass a quiz" and she popped a quiz on us. The next day, she said, "All of you, with the exception of one, could have done much better than you did." I don't know why, but I had the feeling I was the exception. Sure enough. Out of a possible 105, I got 105! She said, "that is great but I still think you should do your homework."

At the end of the school year, she discovered that I wasn't going on to Trig. She said, "But you have a math mind." I said to her, "But I have no idea what I'm doing."

When I went back to school, I did take a refresher math course because it was over a decade since I took one.

I then took another math course (can't recall which one it was). The teacher was straight off the boat from China-literally and it was really hard to understand her. Whenever we started a new section, she would always have students read out loud (I think that was her way of getting around the language barrier). One thing I REALLY hate to do is read out loud because of a learning disability I have with pronunciation. (The word will get "stuck" trying to come out-even though I KNOW the word and what it means. Sometimes I can say it without any problem. Other times, not so much.) I am much better than I was in those days because I read aloud to Carlos all the time and he understands about my problem and will help me when a word gets "stuck." 

Anyway, the teacher learned my name so EVERY TIME there was reading to be done, she would call on me. GREAT! One day, I told her that I forgot my glasses-even though they were in my purse which was right next to me. I just didn't want to read.

I was very upset with that woman because the last section we only worked on for maybe 2 or 3 classes before the exam and I JUST didn't get it. I needed a bit more time. And that was also a good part of the final. So, I was carrying an A until that section and my final grade was B.

After that, I took a Probs & Stats course and ACED the midterm! I was ALMOST except from the final by either 5 or 10 points. I still got an A anyway. That was the last math course I had to take.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/27/22 at 8:26 pm

I could always do math concepts-get the right answer but never really knowing what I was doing. And I always need a calculator to do simple arithmetic.  :-[

10th grade Geometry: One day we were going over the homework. The teacher called on someone who said, "I didn't do it." She called on someone else who also said, "I didn't do it." She then went around to see who actually did their homework. 1/2 the class (including yours truly) didn't do it. She then said, "Well, since you all think you know this, you can pass a quiz" and she popped a quiz on us. The next day, she said, "All of you, with the exception of one, could have done much better than you did." I don't know why, but I had the feeling I was the exception. Sure enough. Out of a possible 105, I got 105! She said, "that is great but I still think you should do your homework."

At the end of the school year, she discovered that I wasn't going on to Trig. She said, "But you have a math mind." I said to her, "But I have no idea what I'm doing."

When I went back to school, I did take a refresher math course because it was over a decade since I took one.

I then took another math course (can't recall which one it was). The teacher was straight off the boat from China-literally and it was really hard to understand her. Whenever we started a new section, she would always have students read out loud (I think that was her way of getting around the language barrier). One thing I REALLY hate to do is read out loud because of a learning disability I have with pronunciation. (The word will get "stuck" trying to come out-even though I KNOW the word and what it means. Sometimes I can say it without any problem. Other times, not so much.) I am much better than I was in those days because I read aloud to Carlos all the time and he understands about my problem and will help me when a word gets "stuck." 

Anyway, the teacher learned my name so EVERY TIME there was reading to be done, she would call on me. GREAT! One day, I told her that I forgot my glasses-even though they were in my purse which was right next to me. I just didn't want to read.

I was very upset with that woman because the last section we only worked on for maybe 2 or 3 classes before the exam and I JUST didn't get it. I needed a bit more time. And that was also a good part of the final. So, I was carrying an A until that section and my final grade was B.

After that, I took a Probs & Stats course and ACED the midterm! I was ALMOST except from the final by either 5 or 10 points. I still got an A anyway. That was the last math course I had to take.

Cat

O0 Great story!

Don't get me started about bad math teachers - the H.S. Freshman math teacher I had (also in 8th grade) came this close to ruining things forever for me in math.  Thankfully, as bad as he was, I had a superb teacher in 10th Grade Geometry (which my Mom pleaded with me to take, as I'd have skipped it otherwise); she could really teach well.  It was in Geometry class (in part) that I decided to go the STEM route in my education (they didn't call it STEM then, though).  My SAT and ACT backed up that decision.

I also had to take Probs & Stats in college.  I thought the instructor was smart and could teach - but a bit dry.  I'd all too often fall asleep in her class.  I got a "B".

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/28/22 at 10:25 am

Senior HS spring term, a bunch of us humanities types needed a science course to graduate and found ourselves in what we called physics for dummies, 1st period.  Mr Verwerseput was a very nice, rather slight, balding 50 something, and not a very good teacher.  As we approached the end of the term, and were all about to flunk we arranged a bit of drama.  So on the  day, one of our classmates, a very pretty, buxom girl, went into the class room like 5 min early, walked up to Mr V, who was sitting at his desk, and sat down on his lap.  He, of course was horrified and had no idea what to do.  She whispered sweet nothings in hie ear and  stroked his bald head as the rest of us walked in and took our seats.  Once we were all, seated she got up and took her seat.  Nothing was said, but the message got across.  We all passed with C-.  True story

Check for new replies or respond here...