inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It's June 2022! What's happening with you this month?

Written By: nally on 06/01/22 at 12:31 am

Once again, I have the honor of getting the monthly thread ready, as we enter June!

As I always say, may it be a good month for us all!

White rabbits!

Subject: Re: It's June 2022! What's happening with you this month?

Written By: iamthesmit on 06/01/22 at 12:16 pm

You are a day early, Mr. Jeffrey.  LOL Other than that, I wish you all a great month of July!

Written By: Howard on 06/01/22 at 2:54 pm

This month I celebrate 1 year at King Kullen. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/22 at 3:41 pm

This month I celebrate 1 year at King Kullen. :)

WOW! It's been a year already?

Cat

Written By: nally on 06/01/22 at 8:30 pm

Cat

Time does fly when you are having fun.

Written By: Howard on 06/02/22 at 3:39 am

Cat

Yes, It has I'm so excited and I can't wait for my first vacation probably sometime in August, It's just amazing, what a roller coaster ride I've been on. I've been so far right now been doing the morning shifts but pretty tired when I get home.

Written By: karen on 06/02/22 at 4:39 am

Morris dancing out with another side last night. We danced outside two pubs and got a decent audience both times. I also had my first drink of pale ale. The side we were dancing with are sponsored by a brewery and they had a special beer named after them for this summer

Written By: karen on 06/02/22 at 10:33 am

Today and tomorrow are bank holidays here in the U.K. There is normally one on the last Monday in May, but it has been moved to today and an extra one tomorrow to celebrate the Queen’s platinum jubilee.

This morning we watched (on tv) some of the Trooping the Colour event that was happening in London. The Queen wasn’t well enough to attend that so Prince Charles was there as her representative. Tonight bonfires and beacons will be lit across the country including one in our town.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/02/22 at 1:49 pm

Today and tomorrow are bank holidays here in the U.K. There is normally one on the last Monday in May, but it has been moved to today and an extra one tomorrow to celebrate the Queen’s platinum jubilee.

This morning we watched (on tv) some of the Trooping the Colour event that was happening in London. The Queen wasn’t well enough to attend that so Prince Charles was there as her representative. Tonight bonfires and beacons will be lit across the country including one in our town.

O0 Sounds like a nice holiday!  Hoping renewed stamina for the Queen.

Written By: nally on 06/02/22 at 11:07 pm

Yes, It has I'm so excited and I can't wait for my first vacation probably sometime in August, It's just amazing, what a roller coaster ride I've been on. I've been so far right now been doing the morning shifts but pretty tired when I get home.

I've been full time at my work for over a year (out of 6+ years overall), and have accrued enough vacation time to take a week-long vacation, but I am not going anywhere just yet.

Written By: Elor on 06/03/22 at 3:30 pm

Morris dancing out with another side last night. We danced outside two pubs and got a decent audience both times. I also had my first drink of pale ale. The side we were dancing with are sponsored by a brewery and they had a special beer named after them for this summer
Learnt something new here. Never heard the term "side" been used like this before. I actually had to look it up to find out it can also mean team. :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/03/22 at 4:06 pm

Learnt something new here. Never heard the term "side" been used like this before. I actually had to look it up to find out it can also mean team. :)

Yes, and in high school gym class here the whole group will "choose sides" for a game, be it basketball or whatever. This can be quite traumatic for those who are chosen last. The whole method rather stinks. It was even mentioned in Janis Ian's hit song "At 17". "For those whose names were never called/when choosing sides for basketball".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/22 at 4:17 pm

Yes, and in high school gym class here the whole group will "choose sides" for a game, be it basketball or whatever. This can be quite traumatic for those who are chosen last. The whole method rather stinks. It was even mentioned in Janis Ian's hit song "At 17". "For those whose names were never called/when choosing sides for basketball".

Yup. That was me.  :-[

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/03/22 at 4:59 pm

Yup. That was me.  :-[

Cat

I know that feeling      :(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/03/22 at 5:05 pm

Looking forward to another Ohio trip late next week!  I'm sure missing the "grandkids".

In the meantime, I had to take my car to the dealer for repairs - got my fingers crossed there.  (I'm okay to be car-less for the weekend; we'll be in hubby's car for all the necessary trips.)  The car is over 10 years old but thus far it's been a real trooper.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/22 at 3:30 am

Or even Dodgeball too.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/22 at 3:31 am

Looking forward to another Ohio trip late next week!  I'm sure missing the "grandkids".

In the meantime, I had to take my car to the dealer for repairs - got my fingers crossed there.  (I'm okay to be car-less for the weekend; we'll be in hubby's car for all the necessary trips.)  The car is over 10 years old but thus far it's been a real trooper.

Enjoy your trip. :)

Written By: karen on 06/04/22 at 6:36 am

Every day’s a school day.

Do you have versions of football (soccer) with less than the usual number per team? There are two leagues in town for five-a-side and six-a-side football. Each version has its own recognised rules that are slightly different to the normal game, such as pitch size.

Written By: Elor on 06/04/22 at 3:14 pm

Every day’s a school day.

Do you have versions of football (soccer) with less than the usual number per team? There are two leagues in town for five-a-side and six-a-side football. Each version has its own recognised rules that are slightly different to the normal game, such as pitch size.
I believe there are special football leagues with special rules (for example for older players who can't run as much anymore) but I'm the wrong person to ask as I'm not that much into football.

Written By: nally on 06/04/22 at 4:44 pm

I hope you enjoy your venture to Ohio; safe travels!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/06/22 at 4:55 am

I am glad to be back.

Today London has a Tube strike, that means no underground trains in service, so it is a good day to stay local.

Written By: nally on 06/06/22 at 8:06 pm

I am glad to be back.

Today London has a Tube strike, that means no underground trains in service, so it is a good day to stay local.

Welcome back buddy. O0

I had a busy/productive day at the office.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/10/22 at 5:04 pm

My oldest granddaughter is now a high school graduate. (Boy do I feel old.)

Cat

Written By: nally on 06/10/22 at 10:19 pm

My oldest granddaughter is now a high school graduate. (Boy do I feel old.)

Cat

Congratulations to her!! O0

Written By: karen on 06/11/22 at 2:08 am

Tonight Dai and I are going to see Keane at an outdoor concert. A colleague bought the tickets for 2020. Now the concert is actually happening he can’t make the date so we bought the tickets from him.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/12/22 at 1:11 pm

Yesterday I was scrolling through my Facebook feed when I saw a link to a video of a band that's going to be playing in Lincoln later on this week. I watched a few of their videos and I was amazed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwYV4H9rU6o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKzOjRKqY0Q

The band is called Leonid and Friends, and they're based out of Moscow. The leader of the band (who plays bass) is a classically trained multi-instrumentalist and sound engineer who has had a life-long love for the band Chicago, and he meticulously dissected their songs and and assembled a group of top-notch musicians to recreate their sound.

The band members are almost all Russians, but the lead vocalist who sings the Peter Cetera parts is from Kiev, Ukraine, and he had to leave the band to return to Ukraine so he could be with his family.

I'm planning on attending this show with my sister on Thursday but the war definitely adds an element of tragedy to it, and it should be interesting to see how the band addresses it.

In the grand scheme of things it's rather trivial, but I hope that someday the Ukrainian singer can reunite with his bandmates.  :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/12/22 at 9:20 pm

Had a good trip and great time with the "grandkids".  Travel was relatively smooth both ways - thankful for that.  Driving has made me tired - I think I need a nap!

A costly part has to be replaced.  Thankfully, my warranty picks up the cost (I only have to pay a deductable).  The part had to be ordered, but it has arrived at the dealer so I'll get it put in tomorrow.

Written By: nally on 06/12/22 at 11:41 pm

Had a good trip and great time with the "grandkids".  Travel was relatively smooth both ways - thankful for that.  Driving has made me tired - I think I need a nap!

A costly part has to be replaced.  Thankfully, my warranty picks up the cost (I only have to pay a deductable).  The part had to be ordered, but it has arrived at the dealer so I'll get it put in tomorrow.

Well, glad you're okay. O0

Written By: Howard on 06/13/22 at 3:43 am

Glad you had a good trip. :)

Written By: nally on 06/16/22 at 8:12 pm

With Father's Day coming up this weekend, I am still uncertain as to what kind of gift to get for my dad, although I may treat him to dinner out. I have given it some thought during my day (while I had a break) and came up with a possibility or two.

Written By: karen on 06/17/22 at 2:21 am

I bought my dad a bar of dark chocolate with fruit and nuts in it. It is his favourite and only one place sells this variety.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/17/22 at 12:38 pm

I bought my dad a bar of dark chocolate with fruit and nuts in it. It is his favourite and only one place sells this variety.

Does the UK celebrate Mother's Day/Father's Day the same as here in the U.S.?

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/22 at 12:52 pm

Cat
Indeed we do, Mother's Day is in March and Father's is in June, in fact this Sunday.

BTW, Grandparent's Day in September, but not widely noticed.

Written By: karen on 06/17/22 at 1:03 pm

Cat

As Philip says Father’s Day is this Sunday which I think is the same in the US?

Mother’s Day is in March as we stick to the church calendar day Mothering Sunday. When we lived in the US one of the local card shops used to put out a small selection of suitable cards in late February for the Brits in town.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/22 at 1:06 pm

As Philip says Father’s Day is this Sunday which I think is the same in the US?

Mother’s Day is in March as we stick to the church calendar day Mothering Sunday. When we lived in the US one of the local card shops used to put out a small selection of suitable cards in late February for the Brits in town.
From Google:

"Mothering Sunday is the fourth Sunday of Lent. Although it's often called Mothers' Day it has no connection with the American festival of that name. Traditionally, it was a day when children, mainly daughters, who had gone to work as domestic servants were given a day off to visit their mother and family."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/17/22 at 1:26 pm

Thanks for the info. I knew that Mother's Day was in March but I didn't know that it was part of Lent.

Indeed we do, Mother's Day is in March and Father's is in June, in fact this Sunday.

I knew about Grandparent's Day. In fact, several years, it will fall on September 7th-my grandmother's birthday.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/22 at 2:04 pm

Thanks for the info. I knew that Mother's Day was in March but I didn't know that it was part of Lent.

I knew about Grandparent's Day. In fact, several years, it will fall on September 7th-my grandmother's birthday.

Cat
If planned it right, I know several Filipinas that celebrate Mother's Day in the UK (in March) and then again in May (in USA and Philippines).

Written By: Howard on 06/17/22 at 3:31 pm

I thought Mother's Day was in May?  ???

Written By: karen on 06/17/22 at 4:14 pm

I thought Mother's Day was in May?  ???

Did you read the other posts on the topic?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/17/22 at 4:28 pm

Of course he didn't.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/18/22 at 3:38 am

Sorry about that I forgot to look again, my mistake Karen.

Written By: nally on 06/18/22 at 9:58 pm

With Father's Day coming up this weekend, I am still uncertain as to what kind of gift to get for my dad, although I may treat him to dinner out. I have given it some thought during my day (while I had a break) and came up with a possibility or two.

I decided to order takeout from Lure, a seafood restaurant, drive to the restaurant to pick it up and pay for it, and then take it back home for us to eat. I did this as a Father’s Day treat.
Tomorrow morning I will cook breakfast for my dad; and later on my mom and I will cook a nice dinner for him.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/22 at 2:52 am

Happy Father's Day!

Written By: Howard on 06/19/22 at 3:51 am

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day to you Phil. :)

Written By: karen on 06/19/22 at 10:32 am

Just got back from a trip to the local park. A symphonic band was playing in the bandstand. They played a mix of film score medleys, musical numbers, some marches and a couple of sing along numbers (Jerusalem and Tequila (though not many knew the words!))

Written By: nally on 06/19/22 at 11:32 am

Just got back from a trip to the local park. A symphonic band was playing in the bandstand. They played a mix of film score medleys, musical numbers, some marches and a couple of sing along numbers (Jerusalem and Tequila (though not many knew the words!))

sounds like fun

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/22 at 12:35 pm

Not many knew the word to "Tequila"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/22 at 12:36 pm

Happy Father's Day to you Phil. :)
Thank you.

Our Father's Day celebrations will be next weekend, family elsewhere for this weekend.

Written By: nally on 06/19/22 at 1:59 pm

Isn’t that the only lyric to that song?

Written By: nally on 06/19/22 at 2:00 pm

Thank you.

Our Father's Day celebrations will be next weekend, family elsewhere for this weekend.

Hopefully they are safe and doing well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/22 at 2:13 pm

Isn’t that the only lyric to that song?
Exactly!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/22 at 2:14 pm

Hopefully they are safe and doing well.
All is fine, they visited friends, I stayed safe at home.

Written By: nally on 06/19/22 at 2:15 pm

All is fine, they visited friends, I stayed safe at home.

Glad to hear. O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/22 at 2:58 pm

Being brought up on the Proms and the usage of "Jerusalem" by Monty Python, I got to learn the words.

Written By: karen on 06/19/22 at 4:16 pm

Yep.  At least over on our side of the park

Weirdly just yesterday we overheard a group of teens talking and one said another friend of theirs had performed Tequila as a karaoke number!

Written By: karen on 06/19/22 at 4:17 pm

Being brought up on the Proms and the usage of "Jerusalem" by Monty Python, I got to learn the words.

A favourite hymn at the school James went to, most could sing it without needing the words in front of them by the time they left.

Written By: nally on 06/20/22 at 12:08 am

Tomorrow morning I will cook breakfast for my dad; and later on my mom and I will cook a nice dinner for him.

And the meals both turned out really good, I must say. O0 My dad appreciated everything that my mom and I did for him today.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/22 at 3:40 am

Today I celebrate 1 year at King Kullen. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/22 at 3:40 am

Congrats

Written By: Howard on 06/20/22 at 3:49 am

Congrats

Thank You. :)

Written By: nally on 06/20/22 at 8:11 pm

Happy work anniversary to you. O0

Written By: Howard on 06/21/22 at 7:32 am

Happy work anniversary to you. O0

Written By: karen on 06/22/22 at 4:26 pm

Yesterday and today we have had Year 5 taster days at school. I was responsible for providing the equipment for the activity in the science department. Altogether about 60 girls made oobleck (cornstarch and water) and tested the properties of this material to decide whether it is a solid or a liquid. They also watched some dance on a loud speaker.

Still got some clearing up to do tomorrow. I just couldn’t face any more cornstarch!

Written By: nally on 06/22/22 at 11:08 pm

Speaking of work, I have had more tasks than usual to do in my work this week. It has seemed a bit overwhelming, but I got it all done, and my boss is pleased with my efforts. :)

Written By: nally on 06/23/22 at 7:51 pm

And today seemed less hectic than yesterday or the day before.

Written By: karen on 06/25/22 at 10:41 am

I went out for a meal with friends on Thursday night. We were all in the US together years ago. One of the group settled there, and was over for a visit. We had a lovely meal and catch up.

My evening was spoiled slightly on the journey home. There are two routes home, and I managed to choose the one with the road closed for roadworks. The only sign was as you got actually to the works. Instead of getting home around eleven is was about quarter to midnight.

Thankfully I didn’t have to be in work at the usual time. Instead I cycled to our school sports field for a slightly later start time to set up an orienteering activity for sports day.

I went out for another meal in the evening. Dai’s mum will be 90 in early July, and this was the first of the celebrations. Elizabeth was briefly in the area so we had a meal together.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/27/22 at 9:07 pm

(Belated) Congratulations on your 1 year work anniversary!  :)

Written By: Howard on 06/28/22 at 7:09 am

(Belated) Congratulations on your 1 year work anniversary!  :)

Thanks, it's been one hell of a roller-coaster over there, I'm enjoying the customers they're just so nice and sweet over there when you chat up with them, The work can be a bit tiring on occasions but it sure keeps me busy all day.  :)

Written By: nally on 06/28/22 at 10:18 pm

Thanks, it's been one hell of a roller-coaster over there, I'm enjoying the customers they're just so nice and sweet over there when you chat up with them, The work can be a bit tiring on occasions but it sure keeps me busy all day.  :)

Sounds like you really like it there; I'm happy for ya! O0

Similarly, at my work, it can be tiring in one way or another, but I like it, and it keeps me busy all day. Never a dull moment!

In fact, this week will not only have the end of a month, but the end of a quarter... and my company is very busy during such times.

Written By: Howard on 06/29/22 at 3:40 am

Sounds like you really like it there; I'm happy for ya! O0

Similarly, at my work, it can be tiring in one way or another, but I like it, and it keeps me busy all day. Never a dull moment!

In fact, this week will not only have the end of a month, but the end of a quarter... and my company is very busy during such times.

Our supermarket is getting ready for the holidays and that includes July 4th (Independence Day)

Written By: nally on 06/29/22 at 7:30 pm

Our supermarket is getting ready for the holidays and that include July 4th (Independence Day)

which is going to be a holiday for my office, thus giving us a three day weekend. :)

Written By: Howard on 06/30/22 at 3:37 am

which is going to be a holiday for my office, thus giving us a three day weekend. :)

Our supermarket will be open on July 4th so who knows how busy it will be.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/22 at 4:09 am

Will everyday of the whole weekend be busy?

Written By: Howard on 06/30/22 at 3:05 pm

Will everyday of the whole weekend be busy?

Gosh, I hope not.

Written By: nally on 06/30/22 at 7:57 pm

Yeah, some stores are open that day, sometimes with special holiday sales and stuff.

I even remember going into a small supermarket on July 4th ten years ago (2012) to buy some food for a party I attended with friends that day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/22 at 7:33 am

Goodbye June
Gone too soon!

Check for new replies or respond here...