inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Summer fun

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/24/22 at 3:59 pm

Let us know what fun stuff you're up to. I'll start.

So today Cat and I, along with my son, his comaniera and my 2 of my grand kids went to our local beach.  My son took the kids out in my 2 person inflatable kayak.  I just had minor surgery so didn't dare go out - can't get my hand wet - but it was a great day none-the-less 

Subject: Summer fun

Written By: Dude111 on 06/25/22 at 10:43 am

Wow that does sound like fun Carlos :)

I like to go out at night and just walk/ride around my neighbourhood,its quiet and peaceful...

Subject: Re: Summer fun

Written By: karen on 06/25/22 at 11:38 am

Let us know what fun stuff you're up to. I'll start.

So today Cat and I, along with my son, his comaniera and my 2 of my grand kids went to our local beach.  My son took the kids out in my 2 person inflatable kayak.  I just had minor surgery so didn't dare go out - can't get my hand wet - but it was a great day none-the-less

Sounds like fun.

When James broke his wrist we bought a plastic sleeve that fitted over his arm from fingers to elbow to keep the whole cast dry so he could shower. Could you get something like that? Shame to miss out.

When it is warm and still in the evening we sometimes light a fire in the firepit. We did it last week, and cooked some s’mores.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/25/22 at 11:59 am

Now that the pandemic restrictions have finally been lifted, I've been trying to go to as many concerts and live music shows as I can. I've been seeing some great shows.

DC - If a band called The Mavericks ever plays in your neck of the woods I'd highly recommend going to see them, I saw them play twice in a month and both times they put on an amazing show.

I think you and Cat would really like them.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 06/25/22 at 2:58 pm

Nothing much, Sometimes when it's not way too hot outside I might take walks around my neighborhood for the exercise.
Or maybe just get some ice cream with my friend.

Written By: Contigo on 06/25/22 at 5:34 pm

There is a park , fairly nearby, we like to drive there and take walks in the park, by the water, see swans and ducks. We just sit there and take it all in. Nature can be beautiful.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/26/22 at 9:40 am

Now that the pandemic restrictions have finally been lifted, I've been trying to go to as many concerts and live music shows as I can. I've been seeing some great shows.

DC - If a band called The Mavericks ever plays in your neck of the woods I'd highly recommend going to see them, I saw them play twice in a month and both times they put on an amazing show.

I think you and Cat would really like them.  ;)

We'll keep that in mind.  To change the subject for a sec, who remembers the TV show "Maverick" from the 60's.  they all were humerus but one stands out - a parody of "Gun Smoke" another '60s western.

Karen - I use plastic bags to shower.  The dressing comes off July 7 so no need to get elaborate 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/01/22 at 1:55 pm

So last night at 10 to 7, I turned to Carlos and asked him if he wanted to go to a concert which started at 7. He said sure. We turned off our computers, put on shoes and grabbed the lawn chairs that were in the trunk and went REAL far-about a block away to the first Concert in the Park of the season. It was an Army band. They were pretty good. If we remember next week (and if it doesn't rain), they are going to have a Beatles tribute band.

It is only a block away and it is FREE. You really can't beat it. And looking at the people there, I realized that I do know a few people in this town. lol.

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/01/22 at 11:50 pm

There is a park , fairly nearby, we like to drive there and take walks in the park, by the water, see swans and ducks. We just sit there and take it all in. Nature can be beautiful.

That's really nice. O0 I like to take walks at parks now and then; being surrounded by nature can be relaxing for the mind; plus, it can provide exercise.

I like to do the same thing at the beach. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/22 at 12:39 pm

That's really nice. O0 I like to take walks at parks now and then; being surrounded by nature can be relaxing for the mind; plus, it can provide exercise.

I like to do the same thing at the beach. :)
Speaking of doing summer things what is are traditional things done on Independence Day?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/02/22 at 2:05 pm

Speaking of doing summer things what is are traditional things done on Independence Day?

A lot of people have barbecues. Many towns will have fireworks displays. And many people like to shoot off their own. Years ago when we had the boat, our marina had their own fireworks display-shooting them off from a platform in the middle of Lake Champlain. (This was one of the narrowest parts of the lake so it was a bit...um...well...) We had the boat at a mooring at the time so we didn't have to fight for a place to sit. But, what bothered me was people setting off their own fireworks from the dock-IN OUR DIRECTION!!  :o :o

There was another time we spent the 4th with my sisters down in Connecticut. One sister lived about 5 blocks from the beach. She had a barbecue and then all her guests walked down to the beach to watch the town's fireworks and after the display-everyone started shooting off their own. The town usually play music with the fireworks but we were too far away to hear it. My sister (not the one who hosted the barbecue) started whistling "Stars & Stripes Forever" and before we knew it, just about EVERYONE on the beach was either whistling or humming it, too. It was pretty funny.

One year the town was rained out but her guests started shooting off their own in her backyard which my brother-in-law was managing. (Only one thing was shot off at a time.) I asked my sister if she was afraid of them hitting her house and burning it down. She response was, "I have insurance." Yeah, she didn't like her house very much-they sold it a few years later and bought another one-further from the beach.

Our tradition is to watch the movie 1776. Yeah, we really don't go for the fireworks. But sometimes we can see/hear it from the house.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/22 at 2:10 pm

A lot of people have barbecues. Many towns will have fireworks displays. And many people like to shoot off their own. Years ago when we had the boat, our marina had their own fireworks display-shooting them off from a platform in the middle of Lake Champlain. (This was one of the narrowest parts of the lake so it was a bit...um...well...) We had the boat at a mooring at the time so we didn't have to fight for a place to sit. But, what bothered me was people setting off their own fireworks from the dock-IN OUR DIRECTION!!  :o :o

There was another time we spent the 4th with my sisters down in Connecticut. One sister lived about 5 blocks from the beach. She had a barbecue and then all her guests walked down to the beach to watch the town's fireworks and after the display-everyone started shooting off their own. The town usually play music with the fireworks but we were too far away to hear it. My sister (not the one who hosted the barbecue) started whistling "Stars & Stripes Forever" and before we knew it, just about EVERYONE on the beach was either whistling or humming it, too. It was pretty funny.

One year the town was rained out but her guests started shooting off their own in her backyard which my brother-in-law was managing. (Only one thing was shot off at a time.) I asked my sister if she was afraid of them hitting her house and burning it down. She response was, "I have insurance." Yeah, she didn't like her house very much-they sold it a few years later and bought another one-further from the beach.

Our tradition is to watch the movie 1776. Yeah, we really don't go for the fireworks. But sometimes we can see/hear it from the house.

Cat
O0

A day for celebrating!

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/03/22 at 10:05 am

O0

A day for celebrating!

Now from the historian!  We really celebrate the wrong day.  The Continental Congress actually declared independence on July 2 by adopting Richard Henry Lee's resolution -

Resolved, That these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent States, that they are absolved from all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain is, and ought to be, totally dissolved.

Clear, no?  So 2 days latter they voted to accept Jefferson et al declaration explaining why.  So since the declaration is an important document we really should start celebrating on the 2nd and continue through the 4th.  Now that would be a REAL birthday party!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/22 at 10:57 am

Now from the historian!  We really celebrate the wrong day.  The Continental Congress actually declared independence on July 2 by adopting Richard Henry Lee's resolution -

Resolved, That these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent States, that they are absolved from all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain is, and ought to be, totally dissolved.

Clear, no?  So 2 days latter they voted to accept Jefferson et al declaration explaining why.  So since the declaration is an important document we really should start celebrating on the 2nd and continue through the 4th.  Now that would be a REAL birthday party!
Could have been arranged as a three day celebration?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/03/22 at 11:42 am

At least celebrating July 4 makes sense. It drives me crazy when people "celebrate" Memorial Day, have barbecues, go to big sales at stores and car dealerships, go to the beach, etc, etc. It is viewed as the gateway to summer rather than a time of reflection for those who gave their lives for this country. I also use it as a time of reflection for ALL that are gone.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/03/22 at 1:35 pm

At least celebrating July 4 makes sense. It drives me crazy when people "celebrate" Memorial Day, have barbecues, go to big sales at stores and car dealerships, go to the beach, etc, etc. It is viewed as the gateway to summer rather than a time of reflection for those who gave their lives for this country. I also use it as a time of reflection for ALL that are gone.

Couldn't agree more. Our little town has its "Spring Fling" on the Saturday before Memorial. It is always vendors and such in the park (only a block away) and there is a parade that goes right past the house. We have a barbecue. (Some years we have more people than others.) Then on Monday-the actual Memorial Day, it is a somber day. Other towns have parades and such but we never go. We recognize the day by putting our flag out at half staff.

It bugs the s*** out of me when people say "Happy Memorial Day." There is nothing happy about it.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/22 at 1:36 pm

Couldn't agree more. Our little town has its "Spring Fling" on the Saturday before Memorial. It is always vendors and such in the park (only a block away) and there is a parade that goes right past the house. We have a barbecue. (Some years we have more people than others.) Then on Monday-the actual Memorial Day, it is a somber day. Other towns have parades and such but we never go. We recognize the day by putting our flag out at half staff.

It bugs the s*** out of me when people say "Happy Memorial Day." There is nothing happy about it.

Cat
It is the same with me when people say 'Happy Good Friday'.

I have transferred this reply to Sound Off/Vent Tent/Rants Are Us

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/03/22 at 1:50 pm

It is the same with me when people say 'Happy Good Friday'.

I have transferred this reply to Sound Off/Vent Tent/Rants Are Us

Yup!

Cat

Written By: karen on 07/03/22 at 3:07 pm

Just got back from another summer event. The last Sunday before the school closes for the summer is always al fresco - an outdoor music concert. All the various choirs, orchestras and ensembles perform on stage for the afternoon. When the children were at the schools we helped run the bar, but this time we were just in the audience. We did get free entry though.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/22 at 3:08 pm

Times have changed from the days when a holiday like Memorial Day and Independence Day was about people who gave their lives to our country, now people have BBQs and have fun.

Written By: nally on 07/03/22 at 3:22 pm

Barbecues/parties (as mentioned in Cat's post), plus watching firework displays.

Ten years ago on the 4th, I attended a barbecue party with some friends of mine (from my bible study group at the time) at one of their homes. Said house was in a neighborhood near the beach - within walking distance - so we walked to and from the beach and had a great time. Plus we got to see the firework displays at the beach. Had a good time all around. http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/4thJuly/smiley.gif

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/08/22 at 9:59 am

Yesterday we celebrated my youngest daughter's birthday with her 3 kids and partner at sed up)our local beach and an at-home cook in (the grill messed up).  So hot dogs and burgers cooked on the  stove, with champagne.  Lots of fun in the water with the kids, and a bit of sun burn.  A really good time.  Again I'm reminded that I prefer swimming in the Caribbean - much easier to swim there

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/22 at 1:20 pm

Yesterday we celebrated my youngest daughter's birthday with her 3 kids and partner at sed up)our local beach and an at-home cook in (the grill messed up).  So hot dogs and burgers cooked on the  stove, with champagne.  Lots of fun in the water with the kids, and a bit of sun burn.  A really good time.  Again I'm reminded that I prefer swimming in the Caribbean - much easier to swim there

You only told half the story, Honey. Not only were we celebrating her birthday, we were also celebrating her divorce. And after they left, we walked down to the park (a block away) to watch a Beatles tribute band.

It was a fun day but man, were we tired!

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/15/22 at 2:20 pm

Last night we went to another concert in the park. They had free ice cream cones.  :) This time it was (I believe) a local band because one member's 94 year old mother was in the crowd and a couple of the members went to my Alma Mater which is about 5 miles down the road. They played rock from 60's & 70's-The Guess Who, The Zombies, Chicago, Queen, and of course the Beatles as well as others. There were only 2 songs that they played that I didn't know (including one that they dedicated to alum of my Alma Mater. There were a few of us in the crowd). Both Carlos & I enjoyed this band better than the Beatles tribute band last week. And once again the weather was PERFECT!

I have said it before and I will say it again-there are many things that I absolutely HATE about the small town and there are things that I absolutely LOVE. This is one that I love. I looked around the park with half the town (and people from surrounding towns) and I just thought "Pure Americana." The scene could have been 100 years ago except the attire and chairs would have been different (not to mention the music).

As we were walking home, I heard one woman say, "There are a lot of beautiful houses in this town." I said, "Don't we know it." She looked at me and I said to her, "We live in one." I didn't tell her but I do believe that we live in the top 5 of the most beautiful houses in town.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/18/22 at 9:26 am

Saturday we had another g=daughter's birthday, this time at a ballet performance out doors on a farm.  It's part of a series put on by Ballet Vermont, my son's ballet company (he and his partner created it).  As usual the show was outstanding, but a long 2 1/2 hours

Check for new replies or respond here...