inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: July 2022 Monthly Thread

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/30/22 at 3:57 pm

WOW! July already. The year is half over with. It seems to be going by fast.

Cat

Subject: Re: July 2022 Monthly Thread

Written By: nally on 07/01/22 at 12:17 am

I'll be turning 42 on the 11th. :o

Written By: Howard on 07/01/22 at 3:41 am

WOW! July already. The year is half over with. It seems to be going by fast.

Cat

I know, a half a year has gone by so damn quickly!  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/01/22 at 2:01 pm

My cleaning lady usually comes on Friday but this week she couldn't so she came on Wednesday instead. Now, my days are all messed up. I was thinking that Wednesday was Friday and today, I'm thinking that it is Saturday.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/01/22 at 3:26 pm

My cleaning lady usually comes on Friday but this week she couldn't so she came on Wednesday instead. Now, my days are all messed up. I was thinking that Wednesday was Friday and today, I'm thinking that it is Saturday.

Cat

My Mother And Father used to hire a cleaning lady many years ago but then a couple of ones didn't do much of a good job so then after a while they decided to not have one anymore, It became expensive.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/01/22 at 4:01 pm

My Mother And Father used to hire a cleaning lady many years ago but then a couple of ones didn't do much of a good job so then after a while they decided to not have one anymore, It became expensive.

Mine isn't the best cleaner but she gets off the top layer of dirt and vacuums which I hate to do and I really trust her. That is the important thing. She has a key to the house and she will come in when we are away. She isn't too expensive. It is great when you go away for the day and return to a clean house. Way cool!

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/01/22 at 11:54 pm

So, this first day of July was a busy day at my work. Just finished the first half of the calendar year, as well as another quarter; those can be extremely busy times.

Now I can enjoy a three day weekend! (Next one of those for me will be in September with Labour Day.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/22 at 4:32 am

Just spent the last few days with my family, they suddenly arrived unexpectedly, and a wonderful time we had too.

Written By: nally on 07/02/22 at 11:38 am

Just spent the last few days with my family, they suddenly arrived unexpectedly, and a wonderful time we had too.

Glad you did. O0

Written By: karen on 07/02/22 at 12:42 pm

Yesterday I went to Birmingham for a technicians conference. I made a Cartesian diver, a kazoo and a paper rocket. I got some advice on our rocket launcher as well. I also did a couple of new experiments.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/22 at 1:16 pm

Yesterday I went to Birmingham for a technicians conference. I made a Cartesian diver, a kazoo and a paper rocket. I got some advice on our rocket launcher as well. I also did a couple of new experiments.
It's all rocket science for me?

Written By: Contigo on 07/02/22 at 1:23 pm

Yesterday my better half and I went to see some fireworks display for Canada day (which is July 1st)  They weren't bad.  Not that many people out (I guess they still have covid concerns) 
The weather was pleasant. We had a nice time. 

Written By: nally on 07/02/22 at 4:23 pm

Yesterday my better half and I went to see some fireworks display for Canada day (which is July 1st)  They weren't bad.  Not that many people out (I guess they still have covid concerns) 

Yeah, I think many people still do, including myself.

But I’m glad you enjoyed yourselves. O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/22 at 1:04 am

Over here, it seems people think Covid is all over.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/22 at 3:04 am

Today I had planned to do a long walk so that I can hear The Rolling Stones live in concert, but now I do not feel up to it, and stay safe at home.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/22 at 3:50 am

Same here for New Yorkers.

Written By: nally on 07/03/22 at 1:29 pm

Same here for New Yorkers.

Clearly it isn’t. It is still lurking.

That’s why I, in southern California, still am taking safety precautions when going certain places.

Today, however, I ain’t going anywhere. I’m staying home.

Written By: nally on 07/03/22 at 8:22 pm

...and I don't think I'll be going anywhere tomorrow either.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/22 at 1:47 am

I have seen fireworks on July 4th before, but would love to see events at the US Embassy today.

Written By: nally on 07/04/22 at 10:24 am

Time to turn on these emoticons: http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/4thJuly/smiley.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/04/22 at 2:13 pm

Time to turn on these emoticons: http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/4thJuly/smiley.gif

Oops.  :-[  Thanks for the reminder.

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/04/22 at 8:01 pm

Oops.  :-[  Thanks for the reminder.

Cat

No problem  ;)

Written By: nally on 07/05/22 at 12:51 am

Anyhoo, I spent the day at home with my family. Now I must prepare to return to the office tomorrow.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/22 at 1:16 am

Anyhoo, I spent the day at home with my family. Now I must prepare to return to the office tomorrow.
Back to reality?

Written By: nally on 07/05/22 at 7:56 pm

Back to reality?

Yup!

Back to the daily grind!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/07/22 at 2:24 am

I have just decided that I will take a few day off from being online, I am not 100% well.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/22 at 3:34 am

I have just decided that I will take a few day off from being online, I am not 100% well.

Take care, hope to see you soon when you get back. :)

Written By: nally on 07/07/22 at 9:20 am

Please get some good rest.

Written By: nally on 07/09/22 at 11:33 am

So… all week long, at our house, our backyard patio is being replaced. Tree roots were messing it up, so it needed to be torn out, and a new one is being constructed to replace it.

Written By: karen on 07/09/22 at 2:01 pm

Dai’s mum turned 90 yesterday. After I finished work we drove down to South Wales, having dinner on the way.

Today we met with friends, neighbours and family for lunch. It was a nice get together. Not sure when we will do it again

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/09/22 at 2:04 pm

Dai’s mum turned 90 yesterday. After I finished work we drove down to South Wales, having dinner on the way.

Today we met with friends, neighbours and family for lunch. It was a nice get together. Not sure when we will do it again

Happy Birthday to Dai's mum.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/09/22 at 2:05 pm

I fought the lawn and the lawn won.

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/09/22 at 4:28 pm

Happy Birthday to Dai's mum.

Cat

Speaking of b'days, mine's on Monday!! http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/newyears/smiley.gif

I will have to go to work that day. However, my family & I intend to go out for dinner after I get home.

Written By: nally on 07/09/22 at 4:36 pm

Anyways... I will be without my kinetic watch for the next several weeks.

I took it to the local jeweler so that the folks there can examine it/possibly repair it, because lately it's been losing several hours of time each night. (It does not use batteries; it is kinetically powered; the movement of my arm/wrist is supposed to keep it moving.) I've had this thing for 24 years; my parents gave it to me as a gift for my highschool graduation. But lately it has been slowing down for some unknown reason. This is not the first occurrence of this anomaly; it happened once before, about 15 or 16 years ago. Back then, I contacted the manufacturer for advice, then sent it across the U.S. to the manufacturer (Seiko) headquarters, and they got it fixed for me (at that time, it was still under warranty). But now that the problem has returned, I told the local jeweler shop about it. They are going to examine it; I paid a small fee for the handling/insurance; the person handling the transaction told me it would take at least 6 weeks to fix everything.

Written By: nally on 07/10/22 at 1:21 pm

So… all week long, at our house, our backyard patio is being replaced. Tree roots were messing it up, so it needed to be torn out, and a new one is being constructed to replace it.

Today the working crew is building the new patio. They are likely to get it completed today.

Written By: nally on 07/10/22 at 10:54 pm

Today the working crew is building the new patio. They are likely to get it completed today.

They finished everything that needs to be done, but we can’t walk on the new patio just yet because the stones need time to settle into the foundation.

Also, I have gotten started on celebrating my birthday, which is tomorrow.

Written By: nally on 07/11/22 at 10:56 pm

So I had a nice day for my birthday. :)
Yes, I had to go to work (and was busy), but I received a nice card signed by my coworkers.
Then I drove home, and when I got home, I spent some in the pool. Then we ordered some takeout for dinner from a seafood restaurant (halibut). And my parents gave me some nice gifts…in the form of shirts that I can wear to the office.

Written By: nally on 07/15/22 at 8:32 pm

Done with a busy work week. Now I can have a relaxing weekend. :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/15/22 at 10:02 pm

So I had a nice day for my birthday. :)
Yes, I had to go to work (and was busy), but I received a nice card signed by my coworkers.
Then I drove home, and when I got home, I spent some in the pool. Then we ordered some takeout for dinner from a seafood restaurant (halibut). And my parents gave me some nice gifts…in the form of shirts that I can wear to the office.

Very nice!

Done with a busy work week. Now I can have a relaxing weekend. :)

O0

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/15/22 at 10:09 pm

My computer (the one I'm on right now) is finally behaving again.  It's an old Windows 7 computer but has been working okay until recently.  It got intolerably slow and unresponsive.  After hunting around I found some unneeded junk cluttering the hard drive, and there was a lot of it.  Once I removed it, the difference was staggering.  That, plus a malware was caught and quarantined.  The computer seems good again!  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/16/22 at 7:06 am

My computer (the one I'm on right now) is finally behaving again.  It's an old Windows 7 computer but has been working okay until recently.  It got intolerably slow and unresponsive.  After hunting around I found some unneeded junk cluttering the hard drive, and there was a lot of it.  Once I removed it, the difference was staggering.  That, plus a malware was caught and quarantined.  The computer seems good again!  :)

O0 That's good, but how come you don't have 10?  ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/22 at 8:07 am

All my computers are Windows 7. I refuse to go any other. (Right now I'm on my tablet.)  Mine was acting up a while ago. I ran scan after scan,  defrag, kept checking the start up menu (EVERY program wants to be turned on on start-up) but I had already done that. Come to find out it was Firefox. I hadn't cleaned out the Cookies and it kept crashing. Now I clean them out on a regular basis along with all the other maintenance.

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/16/22 at 11:13 am

Great!

I had a Windows Seven machine from late 2009 into 2015. That one was giving me lots of problems in its later year(s). I may have unknowingly gone to some inappropriate web sites or somethin'. Ultimately, its battery stopped charging and I had to run it electrically only. The folks at Best Buy Geek Squad couldn't do anything about it. Finally, by late August/early September, it started randomly turning itself off. So I had to part ways with it.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/16/22 at 11:25 am

O0 That's good, but how come you don't have 10?  ???

I don't know if this computer has the "beef" for W10 - not to mention, I just don't want it.  It was purchased end of 2009 so yes it's very old.  But working all right, except for the battery (after doing the maintenance).  It has to stay plugged in, much like a desktop - the battery is essentially dead.  Thus I need to go offline during thunderstorms, as I unplug it then.  (Sometimes I use the tablet during thunderstorms - but offline is usually ok for a little while.)

Written By: nally on 07/16/22 at 11:33 am

I don't know if this computer has the "beef" for W10 - not to mention, I just don't want it.  It was purchased end of 2009 so yes it's very old.  But working all right, except for the battery (after doing the maintenance).  It has to stay plugged in, much like a desktop - the battery is essentially dead. Thus I need to go offline during thunderstorms, as I unplug it then.  (Sometimes I use the tablet during thunderstorms - but offline is usually ok for a little while.)

Sounds like the bygone laptop I had (mentioned in my previous reply). Is yours a VAIO? That's the brand mine was.

We also have another W7 laptop in our household, one that my mom used primarily from 2009-2015. That one actually still works in 2022, but it can't be used online. I mainly used that one from September of 2015 (when my bygone laptop quit working altogether) until early 2017, when I went out and purchased a new one.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/22 at 1:31 pm

All my computers are Windows 7. I refuse to go any other. (Right now I'm on my tablet.)  Mine was acting up a while ago. I ran scan after scan,  defrag, kept checking the start up menu (EVERY program wants to be turned on on start-up) but I had already done that. Come to find out it was Firefox. I hadn't cleaned out the Cookies and it kept crashing. Now I clean them out on a regular basis along with all the other maintenance.

Cat

I do the same thing with mine, every day before I turn off my computer for the night, I clean out the cookies that are on my computer, they're on CCleaner.

Written By: nally on 07/16/22 at 4:06 pm

I do the same thing with mine, every day before I turn off my computer for the night, I clean out the cookies that are on my computer, they're on CCleaner.

Good thinking. I also clear the History folder on my browser; that clears out the temporary files as well as cookies and similar files.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/22 at 5:54 am

Back online, feeling much better now, I have flu virus, it was not Covid I was tested negative for that, it took ages for me to shake off. But I will be relax with it today for...

"We're having a heat wave
A tropical heat wave
The temperature is rising
It isn't surprising"

Temperatures to reach 39o C today and 41o C tomorrow.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/22 at 3:21 pm

Back online, feeling much better now, I have flu virus, it was not Covid I was tested negative for that, it took ages for me to shake off. But I will be relax with it today for...

A tropical heat wave
It isn't surprising"

Glad to see you're back. :)

Written By: nally on 07/18/22 at 9:49 pm

A tropical heat wave
It isn't surprising"

Glad to see you back again. O0

For the record I have still not yet had a covid test, but both my parents have, and they each had a negative result.

Written By: nally on 07/18/22 at 9:51 pm

As for me, I had quite a busy work day. It was one of those days in which I’ve been swamped. :o

Written By: nally on 07/20/22 at 8:32 pm

As for me, I had quite a busy work day. It was one of those days in which I’ve been swamped. :o

And today, things seemed to go smoother for me, which I feel good about. :)

Written By: karen on 07/21/22 at 4:29 am

It was too hot here at the beginning of the week to do anything. Yesterday was cooler so we (me , Dai’s mum and my son James) went out for lunch to a nearby railway heritage centre. We had a walk around their wildlife garden, quarry exhibit and then had a go on their crazy golf course. A nice ice cream afterwards finished off the afternoon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/22 at 10:44 am

It was too hot here at the beginning of the week to do anything. Yesterday was cooler so we (me , Dai’s mum and my son James) went out for lunch to a nearby railway heritage centre. We had a walk around their wildlife garden, quarry exhibit and then had a go on their crazy golf course. A nice ice cream afterwards finished off the afternoon.
It has been too hot for me, just staying at home (local shopping in the cooler hours of the early mornings). but today I had to go out to various stores and places, and I came home totally whacked out.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/22 at 2:04 pm

My cat Josette ran off yesterday.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  She has never been outside a day in her life-until now. Just in time for a heatwave and thunderstorms. Hopefully she will come home soon.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/22 at 2:06 pm

My cat Josette ran off yesterday.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  She has never been outside a day in her life-until now. Just in time for a heatwave and thunderstorms. Hopefully she will come home soon.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat
My friend's cat is one to be out during the day and sleep soundly indoors at night, but with the hot weather we are having, his cat just sits and sunbathes in the back garden.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/22 at 3:09 pm

Cat

Hope she comes home soon, Does she have any identification? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/22 at 3:48 pm

Hope she comes home soon, Does she have any identification? ???

Just her markings. Yeah, I didn't have her microchipped because she NEVER goes out.  ::)

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/21/22 at 8:08 pm

It has been too hot for me, just staying at home (local shopping in the cooler hours of the early mornings). but today I had to go out to various stores and places, and I came home totally whacked out.

It often gets hot where I am, especially in the summer time. But every so often, during my work day, I do need to get up and move around. And sometimes I am hesitant to go outdoors in extreme weather conditions. But I sometimes do so anyway, even if it’s just for 1 minute; I can even stay in shady spaces.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/22 at 3:51 am

It often gets hot where I am, especially in the summer time. But every so often, during my work day, I do need to get up and move around. And sometimes I am hesitant to go outdoors in extreme weather conditions. But I sometimes do so anyway, even if it’s just for 1 minute; I can even stay in shady spaces.

It's also hot where I am and I work outside all the time so I have to take lots of breaks more often cause I sweat a lot, the supermarket is cool inside so I can cool off before I can go back out again.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/22/22 at 6:32 pm

My baby girl is still not home.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/22/22 at 7:39 pm

Cat

I’m so sorry to hear that  :-[

Written By: Howard on 07/23/22 at 7:19 am

Cat

Sorry to hear that.  :\'(

Written By: karen on 07/23/22 at 8:20 am

Cat

Have you put up some posters? Hope she comes home soon

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/22 at 1:59 pm

Have you put up some posters? Hope she comes home soon

I have listed her on lost pet sites. I have walked around the neighborhood with her pic asking everyone if they have seen her. I even went to the cop shop which is around the corner. (In fact, I can see it from where I am sitting right now.) The fact that I don't see her in the middle of the road gives me hope. We live on a busy street with trucks that come barrelling through at all hours of the day or night.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/23/22 at 2:09 pm

I have listed her on lost pet sites. I have walked around the neighborhood with her pic asking everyone if they have seen her. I even went to the cop shop which is around the corner. (In fact, I can see it from where I am sitting right now.) The fact that I don't see her in the middle of the road gives me hope. We live on a busy street with trucks that come barrelling through at all hours of the day or night.

Cat

Do you remember the last place she was around when you last saw her? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/22 at 2:12 pm

Do you remember the last place she was around when you last saw her? ???

Yeah, the back door when she ran out and disappeared off the face of the earth.

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/23/22 at 10:17 pm

So, we had a couple of houseguests over for lunchtime, to see our new patio. We had thought about going in the pool later on, but it got too windy. Hopefully tomorrow the weather will be better.

Written By: nally on 07/25/22 at 8:20 pm

Back to work again today. It’s gonna be a busy week as we close out the month at the end of the week.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/22 at 6:04 am

Just to report, all is fine and I have my family staying with me, where we are out visiting places, therefore it is hard for me to be online.

Written By: nally on 07/26/22 at 9:21 am

Just to report, all is fine and I have my family staying with me, where we are out visiting places, therefore it is hard for me to be online.

Glad you are ok. O0

Written By: Howard on 07/26/22 at 2:04 pm

That's good to know.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/22 at 4:38 pm

Thinking of Patty (Bookmistress) today.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: karen on 07/26/22 at 4:43 pm

Cat

Me too

Written By: nally on 07/26/22 at 8:08 pm

Cat

Me too

Me three :\'( :-[

Written By: nally on 07/27/22 at 8:10 pm

Anyways... I will be without my kinetic watch for the next several weeks.

I took it to the local jeweler so that the folks there can examine it/possibly repair it, because lately it's been losing several hours of time each night. (It does not use batteries; it is kinetically powered; the movement of my arm/wrist is supposed to keep it moving.) I've had this thing for 24 years; my parents gave it to me as a gift for my highschool graduation. But lately it has been slowing down for some unknown reason. This is not the first occurrence of this anomaly; it happened once before, about 15 or 16 years ago. Back then, I contacted the manufacturer for advice, then sent it across the U.S. to the manufacturer (Seiko) headquarters, and they got it fixed for me (at that time, it was still under warranty). But now that the problem has returned, I told the local jeweler shop about it. They are going to examine it; I paid a small fee for the handling/insurance; the person handling the transaction told me it would take at least 6 weeks to fix everything.

I just received a text message from the jewelry shop today saying that my watch is now ready for pickup! However, I will not be able to pick it up (and pay for the repairs) until this weekend, because the jewelry shop is not on the way home from my office.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/28/22 at 2:14 pm

I feel like crap today. Yesterday I had the second booster of my "Fauci Ouchie." I knew I was going to feel like this because I did the last two times which is why I made sure I didn't have anything planned to do today. I'll feel better tomorrow.

Of course I will feel SO MUCH better when Josette comes home. Yeah, she is still gone and it has been over a week now.  :\'( :\'(  I have half the town looking out for her. I have flyers with her pic on it in most of the businesses in town. There MAY have been one sighting. My neighbor thinks he might have seen her but she has a "twin" who hangs out. There have been many times over the years we have seen the "twin" and thought it was her.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/28/22 at 4:26 pm

Of course I will feel SO MUCH better when Josette comes home. Yeah, she is still gone and it has been over a week now.  :\'( :\'(  I have half the town looking out for her. I have flyers with her pic on it in most of the businesses in town. There MAY have been one sighting. My neighbor thinks he might have seen her but she has a "twin" who hangs out. There have been many times over the years we have seen the "twin" and thought it was her.

Cat

:\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Hoping and praying that you are reunited with Josette soon.

Written By: nally on 07/28/22 at 7:55 pm

:\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Hoping and praying that you are reunited with Josette soon.

Agreed.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/28/22 at 9:17 pm

I'll likely be inactive for a few days.  Another road trip this weekend.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/22 at 7:11 am

I feel like crap today. Yesterday I had the second booster of my "Fauci Ouchie." I knew I was going to feel like this because I did the last two times which is why I made sure I didn't have anything planned to do today. I'll feel better tomorrow.

Cat

Hope she comes back soon.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 07/29/22 at 7:11 am

I'll likely be inactive for a few days.  Another road trip this weekend.

Where will you going on your road trip?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/29/22 at 2:23 pm

Thanks everyone. I really think she is around the house. I put out some food yesterday and someone ate it. It COULD have been another cat. I just hope that she realized that it is ok to be found and it is ok to come home.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/30/22 at 10:45 pm

Greetings from Ohio.  I'm on the tablet so keeping it short.  Having fun with the grandkids, tired.  Back home in couple more days.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/22 at 3:07 am

Greetings from Ohio.  I'm on the tablet so keeping it short.  Having fun with the grandkids, tired.  Back home in couple more days.

Enjoy Ohio, see you soon. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/22 at 4:51 am

Take good care!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/22 at 4:51 am

Online for today on a slow tablet.

Written By: nally on 07/31/22 at 1:40 pm

Thank you for your update. Safe travels!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/22 at 2:09 pm

Saw Josette yesterday. She saw me and took off running.  :-\\  She has been hanging out in the backyard which makes me feel a little bit more comfortable. Of course, I won't feel totally comfortable until she is back home. Now, I have to figure out how to lure her into the house.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/31/22 at 2:46 pm

Saw Josette yesterday. She saw me and took off running.  :-\\  She has been hanging out in the backyard which makes me feel a little bit more comfortable. Of course, I won't feel totally comfortable until she is back home. Now, I have to figure out how to lure her into the house.

Cat

Why is she scared of you?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/22 at 2:50 pm

Why is she scared of you?

Because she is a mental cat.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...