inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Is Your Superpower?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/22/22 at 3:18 pm

Everyone has a Superpower. What is/are yours?

Some of mine:

-E.S.P. There have been many times when I call things before they happen. There are times when I am wrong but I am right a lot of times.

-I can make people laugh. I used to envy my sister because I thought she was SOOOO witty and I wanted to be witty, too. Then just recently, I realized that I am also witty. It seems like everyone I talk to, I make them laugh (sometimes it is with the same joke.  :D ;D ;D )

-Carlos will tell you that one of my superpowers is making a short story long.  :D ;D ;D

-I can mulitask. In fact right now, I have 10 windows open and (at the moment only) 3 programs running. Sometimes I have several programs running.

-I have a good memory.

-Give me a map and I am a VERY good navigator and I have an excellent sense of direction. One time this guy brought me into a pitch black hallway. He told me there were 7 doors. He took my hand and placed it on each door-and turned me around a few times each time he did so. I then told him which door we came in from. He was shocked. He said that he did that to just about everyone and they would totally lose their barrings.

-Oh yeah, I can make misbehaved board members disappear.  ;) :D ;D ;D

I'm sure there are others.

Next...

Cat

Subject: Re: What Is Your Superpower?

Written By: loki 13 on 08/22/22 at 6:14 pm

Cat, with the exception of the map, I think I am the exact opposite of everything you wrote.

You can call it a superpower, but I think it is more me just being an introvert. I have the ability to completely turn people off
when they are speaking to me. My mind will roam all over, thinking about anything and everything, yet I will still be able to
recall what it is you are talking about.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/22/22 at 6:20 pm

Cat, with the exception of the map, I think I am the exact opposite of everything you wrote.

You can call it a superpower, but I think it is more me just being an introvert. I have the ability to completely turn people off
when they are speaking to me. My mind will roam all over, thinking about anything and everything, yet I will still be able to

You might be an introvert, but I think you are a sweet introvert who I feel privileged to have met. Your wife is sweet, too. (Wow! It has been 12 years now.  :o Where did the time go?) 

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/22/22 at 6:37 pm

That would have come in handy for me when I was in school.  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 08/22/22 at 6:58 pm

You might be an introvert, but I think you are a sweet introvert who I feel privileged to have met. Your wife is sweet, too. (Wow! It has been 12 years now.  :o Where did the time go?) 

Cat

Okay, now I'm blushing. Thanks Cat, and you know the feeling is mutual. Seems like yesterday doesn't it.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/22/22 at 7:01 pm

That would have come in handy for me when I was in school.  ;D

Yeah, it comes in handy now when something gets screwed up in work and the boss is screaming.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/22 at 3:27 pm

No one else has a superpower? I can't believe that.

Cat

Written By: Contigo on 08/25/22 at 5:53 pm

Cat

I don't have any superpowers. I'm just your average Joe.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/22 at 6:30 pm

I don't have any superpowers. I'm just your average Joe.

EVERYONE has a superpower. Even the average Joe.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/22 at 12:52 am

Not really a superpower, but I enjoy noticing the coincidences in life, for instance, I would switch the radio on and playing would be one of our favourite songs, or a song I talking about with a friend of mine.

...and as I get on in life, there are more chances for coincidences to occur.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/22 at 4:58 pm

Cat

Not really a superpower, but I enjoy noticing the coincidences in life, for instance, I would switch the radio on and playing would be one of our favourite songs, or a song I talking about with a friend of mine.

...and as I get on in life, there are more chances for coincidences to occur.
I have told this before here on the boards:

Back in October 2013, we visited Strawberry Fields, the memorial to John Lennon in Central Park, New York, located near the Dakota Building, his residence and site of the fateful shooting. All the time I was there I was getting a strange shiver down my spine, I feeling I have always had where something is spooky happening. I asked our host to check something on the Google on her phone and it turned out it was October 8th, one day before the birthday of John Lennon. We then walked to Times Square, via Fifth Avenue, I think (passing Trump Tower), and spent time there sitting down drinking tea/coffee waiting for a friend of our host. Now, if we were there a day later, more events would had been happening at Strawberry Fields, and at Times Square Paul McCartney gave a free concert prompting his then latest album. We missed out on it!

Subject: What Is Your Superpower?

Written By: Dude111 on 08/26/22 at 7:27 pm

-E.S.P. There have been many times when I call things before they happen. There are times when I am wrong but I am right a lot of times.

Excellent Cat.... Are you a medium??

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/28/22 at 2:30 pm

Excellent Cat.... Are you a medium??

I knew you were going to say that.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Sometimes I am a medium. Other times I am a small. But, there are those occasions when I am a large. It all depends.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/28/22 at 2:42 pm

I knew you were going to say that.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Sometimes I am a medium. Other times I am a small. But, there are those occasions when I am a large. It all depends.

Cat

;D

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 08/28/22 at 4:19 pm

I'm not sure if anyone would call this a superpower, but I can apparently detect a 2 cent change in pitch:

https://i.ibb.co/DGnfRXn/pitch.png

https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_pitcheasy.php?cent=2

I'm not sure how unusual this is, but a cursory web search seems to suggest that the median is somewhere in the ball park of 10 cents.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/22 at 10:13 pm

Is recognising a song or a piece of music from a one second clip a superpower?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/28/22 at 10:26 pm

No, it's a game show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_That_Tune

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/22 at 12:50 am

No, it's a game show.

On "Name That Tune" the music is first played on a piano, in my case it is the actual track from the recording.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/29/22 at 9:08 am

If you say it is, it is.  There is no definition

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/22 at 1:21 pm

No, it's a game show.

I was about to say, "I can name that tune in 1 note."

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/22 at 1:53 pm

I was about to say, "I can name that tune in 1 note."

Cat
Indeed, but it is from the first sound of the guitar on songs, especially from the 1960s and 1970s.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 08/29/22 at 2:47 pm

On "Name That Tune" the music is first played on a piano, in my case it is the actual track from the recording.

That makes it a lot easier than just hearing it on a piano.  Timbre is an important clue.  Hearing Keith Richards playing the first two notes of "Brown Sugar" is instantly recognizable to everyone (at least to everyone of a certain age range :)).  Play the two notes on a piano legato, fewer people will figure it out, and they'll figure it out more slowly.

Studies have shown people can recognize their favorite songs in as little as 0.1 seconds!

https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2019/11/04/Recognition-of-favorite-songs-almost-instant-researchers-find/5531572878012/

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/22 at 2:50 pm

That makes it a lot easier than just hearing it on a piano.  Timbre is an important clue.  Hearing Keith Richards playing the first two notes of "Brown Sugar" is instantly recognizable to everyone (at least to everyone of a certain age range :)).  Play the two notes on a piano legato, fewer people will figure it out, and they'll figure it out more slowly.

Studies have shown people can recognize their favorite songs in as little as 0.1 seconds!

https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2019/11/04/Recognition-of-favorite-songs-almost-instant-researchers-find/5531572878012/

O0

That's me!

Even I can recognise the classical music composer from a short snatch of music.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/22 at 2:53 pm

If I can recognize a song that I hear either on the radio or TV or computer, I would recognize it instantly.

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/22 at 10:31 pm

My superpower is the ability to repel attractive women :D

Written By: Ripley on 09/06/22 at 2:47 pm

I have E.S.P. too. I don’t think it’s half as good as it used to be though, or maybe I’m just not paying as much attention to it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/25/22 at 9:38 am

My superpower is the ability to repel attractive women :D

I suspect most men feel that way, I'm sure I did at various points in my life.  So I guess it's a male super power

Check for new replies or respond here...