inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Try to remember the month of September 2022

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/22 at 12:29 am

Welcome to the month of September. This year is flying by!

White Rabbits!!

Subject: Re: Try to remember the month of September 2022

Written By: nally on 09/01/22 at 12:49 am

It sure is flying by!!

K+1 to Philip for getting the new thread started. O0

Written By: Howard on 09/01/22 at 3:25 am

Welcome to the month of September. This year is flying by!

White Rabbits!!

3 more months until 22 is gone.  :o

Written By: karen on 09/01/22 at 3:45 pm

Fun afternoon today. We had a kind of staff enrichment session with a choice of activities. I went to a drumming session. We played on some African djembe- tapping out various rhythms such as “I want fish and chips” “I like bananas” and “a little bit of toast, with Marmite”

Then we played boomwhackers, which are plastic pipes cut to length such that when you hit them they play different notes. They are colour coded and we had a video with coloured dots to follow (a bit karaoke like) to play some songs. We did Ghostbusters, The Lion Sleeps Tonight and the Pink Panther theme

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/01/22 at 4:52 pm

I have OFFICIALLY started working on my annual yard sale. I doubt it will be as good as it was last year (my BEST EVER!!!) I did a lot of work last year. When it was done, I had a big mound of empty boxes and the crap stuff I had left, I was able to put most of it in bins and label them. There are still some boxes that I didn't go through last year but it won't be as bad, A few days ago, we went out into one side of the garage that we haven't gone through at all. I found 4 boxes of dishes. I need to bring them in, clean them up and put a price on them. (We did just get rid of a bunch of plywood that was in the garage this morning-my massage therapist took it to make a chicken coop out of it.) 

With each yard sale, I always think that I have less crap stuff than I had this time last year and have even less this time NEXT year. I have no idea how many yard sales I have to have until the majority is gone and we can just find someone who would take it all. We are not there yet but hopefully soon.

Oh, for those of you who do not know how we got all of this crap stuff we used to buy junk and sell antiques: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=45884.0  We said we would do it as long as it was fun. It stopped being fun a long time ago-but meanwhile, we are stuck with all our inventory. But, it is going down.

Weather permitting, it will be the 16th & 17th (and maybe the 18th).

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/01/22 at 7:20 pm

I have OFFICIALLY started working on my annual yard sale. I doubt it will be as good as it was last year (my BEST EVER!!!) I did a lot of work last year. When it was done, I had a big mound of empty boxes and the crap stuff I had left, I was able to put most of it in bins and label them. There are still some boxes that I didn't go through last year but it won't be as bad, A few days ago, we went out into one side of the garage that we haven't gone through at all. I found 4 boxes of dishes. I need to bring them in, clean them up and put a price on them. (We did just get rid of a bunch of plywood that was in the garage this morning-my massage therapist took it to make a chicken coop out of it.) 

With each yard sale, I always think that I have less crap stuff than I had this time last year and have even less this time NEXT year. I have no idea how many yard sales I have to have until the majority is gone and we can just find someone who would take it all. We are not there yet but hopefully soon.

Oh, for those of you who do not know how we got all of this crap stuff we used to buy junk and sell antiques: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=45884.0  We said we would do it as long as it was fun. It stopped being fun a long time ago-but meanwhile, we are stuck with all our inventory. But, it is going down.

Weather permitting, it will be the 16th & 17th (and maybe the 18th).

Cat

I can't remember if I asked you this before, but when you were in the business where did you get the junk/antiques from? Estate sales? Abandoned storage lockers?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/02/22 at 2:04 pm

I can't remember if I asked you this before, but when you were in the business where did you get the junk/antiques from? Estate sales? Abandoned storage lockers?

We started in 2006. We went to an auction that was selling coins because I collect them. Carlos bought a couple of antique plates for a $1. I couldn't understand why he bought them. He told me, "We could sell them on eBay." So, our "business" was born. We started going to auctions and buying. That was the fun part. The best was toward the end when there would be box lots that we would get for $5 because there was ONE or maybe two items in it that we knew we might be able to make $$ on. When we got home, going through those lots was a lot of fun seeing what "treasures" we had. We would sell those few items but then we were left with the crap stuff. And we always had the rule we got to keep whatever items we wanted to (which we kept quite a bit). 

After a while, eBay became "Greed-Bay." And the whole thing pretty much lost its appeal. We weren't really selling on there anyway anymore so we just basically stopped.

We also had a booth at a local antique mall (owned by Melanie's sister  ;) ) We just couldn't make a go of it. We rarely made our rent which wasn't that much. She told us that she couldn't understand why. Our crap stuff looked pretty much like everyone else's. And our prices were not outrageous. There was one time we had nothing over $25.

It was a good thing this wasn't our livelihood otherwise we would be hurtin'. (This IS my sister's livelihood and she stopped doing eBay and now she does Bonanza where a lot of ex-eBayers are going.)

So, we did away with eBay and we did away with the booth and the only way to get rid of it all is yard sales. It may seem like we sell things at a loss in a yard sale but the amount that we paid for our inventory and what we had made over the years, we have come out ahead. For instance, we bought two boxes of vintage dolls from the '60s & '70s for $45. We sold ONE of those dolls for over $1000!  :o :o :o (Our BEST sale EVER!) We sold another one for over $30. I can't remember how many of those dolls we sold-each one a decent price. Then I just basically sold the rest for maybe $10 at a yard sale. Yeah, we might have been able to make a bit more from it but we got our money's worth out of it.  But there were some lots that we paid too much for and took a loss when we sold it. That is just part of the game.

Yeah, I know. You ask a question and I give a long answer. Carlos always says that I have the talent of making a short story long.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/22 at 2:18 pm

We started in 2006. We went to an auction that was selling coins because I collect them. Carlos bought a couple of antique plates for a $1. I couldn't understand why he bought them. He told me, "We could sell them on eBay." So, our "business" was born. We started going to auctions and buying. That was the fun part. The best was toward the end when there would be box lots that we would get for $5 because there was ONE or maybe two items in it that we knew we might be able to make $$ on. When we got home, going through those lots was a lot of fun seeing what "treasures" we had. We would sell those few items but then we were left with the crap stuff. And we always had the rule we got to keep whatever items we wanted to (which we kept quite a bit). 

After a while, eBay became "Greed-Bay." And the whole thing pretty much lost its appeal. We weren't really selling on there anyway anymore so we just basically stopped.

We also had a booth at a local antique mall (owned by Melanie's sister  ;) ) We just couldn't make a go of it. We rarely made our rent which wasn't that much. She told us that she couldn't understand why. Our crap stuff looked pretty much like everyone else's. And our prices were not outrageous. There was one time we had nothing over $25.

It was a good thing this wasn't our livelihood otherwise we would be hurtin'. (This IS my sister's livelihood and she stopped doing eBay and now she does Bonanza where a lot of ex-eBayers are going.)

So, we did away with eBay and we did away with the booth and the only way to get rid of it all is yard sales. It may seem like we sell things at a loss in a yard sale but the amount that we paid for our inventory and what we had made over the years, we have come out ahead. For instance, we bought two boxes of vintage dolls from the '60s & '70s for $45. We sold ONE of those dolls for over $1000!  :o :o :o (Our BEST sale EVER!) We sold another one for over $30. I can't remember how many of those dolls we sold-each one a decent price. Then I just basically sold the rest for maybe $10 at a yard sale. Yeah, we might have been able to make a bit more from it but we got our money's worth out of it.  But there were some lots that we paid too much for and took a loss when we sold it. That is just part of the game.

Yeah, I know. You ask a question and I give a long answer. Carlos always says that I have the talent of making a short story long.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat
Sounds like a good venture.

I would be on eBay now, but as you describe eBay became "Greed-Bay", it seems you cannot make a real profit for yourselves, pay for this, pay for that, eking your profit away,  I do not bother with it now. Also, the thought of having your banking details online puts me off.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/02/22 at 4:41 pm

Sounds like a good venture.

I would be on eBay now, but as you describe eBay became "Greed-Bay", it seems you cannot make a real profit for yourselves, pay for this, pay for that, eking your profit away,  I do not bother with it now. Also, the thought of having your banking details online puts me off.

Yup. There are other venues out there now. For the longest time eBay was the only game in town and they knew it. But, they turned off a lot of people and there are others out there now.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/22 at 4:54 pm

Yup. There are other venues out there now. For the longest time eBay was the only game in town and they knew it. But, they turned off a lot of people and there are others out there now.

Cat
I did discover one of the others does deal with books, but cannot now remember one, the majority tend to be clothing (second-hand).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/02/22 at 8:04 pm

I did discover one of the others does deal with books, but cannot now remember one, the majority tend to be clothing (second-hand).

Abe?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/02/22 at 8:09 pm

Cat

Judging from the antique malls in my area, I don't see how any of the booth owners really make a profit. It almost seems like it's more of a hobby with them. I have come across some great finds at our local antique mall. Notice I say "finds" and not "bargains". By definition, there really are no bargains at antique malls, the way there are at thrift shops. Though often antique malls seem to be nothing more than glorified thrift shops. Mind you, I HAVE come across some super bargains at thrift shops.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/22 at 1:49 am

Abe?
That does not sound familiar to me, my research will continue.

Written By: nally on 09/03/22 at 12:41 pm

So, I am going to take it easy this Labor Day weekend; southern California is in the midst of a massive heat wave, so I’m doing my best to keep cool and not use too much power.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/22 at 2:09 pm

Judging from the antique malls in my area, I don't see how any of the booth owners really make a profit. It almost seems like it's more of a hobby with them. I have come across some great finds at our local antique mall. Notice I say "finds" and not "bargains". By definition, there really are no bargains at antique malls, the way there are at thrift shops. Though often antique malls seem to be nothing more than glorified thrift shops. Mind you, I HAVE come across some super bargains at thrift shops.

Some people do quite well. It all depends on how much they have invested and what they are selling and for how much. Our first booth was terrible. Yeah, they got a lot of traffic because they were in a very touristy area but the rent was sky high not to mention that it was an hour and a half one way to get to it. The second one is only about 8 miles from where I am sitting right now (if that far). It just took us maybe 5 minutes to get there so it was easy of us to go and change things out, move things around, etc. And the rent was MUCH cheaper. But, not as much traffic-but some.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/22 at 2:16 pm

Last night we were watching t.v. Carlos got up and went over to the door. I thought he was getting bored with the program since it was something new that we were watching (Call the Midwife). Then I saw blue flashing lights. He told me to pause the show. We went out on the porch and saw 3 cop cars-and couple more show up. It looked like they were going to the other side of the house next door. (There are about 6 apartments in the house.) Then an ambulance showed up. We were playing the guessing game of what happened. Carlos thinks maybe someone O.D.ed. Then he said that someone had a medical emergency and called 911. I said that when I called 911 (many years ago), only an ambulance showed up and not 3 cop cars. They wheeled someone out. We still don't know what happened but we had front row seats (well, front porch seats) to it all.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/03/22 at 2:50 pm

Last night we were watching t.v. Carlos got up and went over to the door. I thought he was getting bored with the program since it was something new that we were watching (Call the Midwife). Then I saw blue flashing lights. He told me to pause the show. We went out on the porch and saw 3 cop cars-and couple more show up. It looked like they were going to the other side of the house next door. (There are about 6 apartments in the house.) Then an ambulance showed up. We were playing the guessing game of what happened. Carlos thinks maybe someone O.D.ed. Then he said that someone had a medical emergency and called 911. I said that when I called 911 (many years ago), only an ambulance showed up and not 3 cop cars. They wheeled someone out. We still don't know what happened but we had front row seats (well, front porch seats) to it all.

Cat

:o  :o  :o

Written By: Howard on 09/03/22 at 3:06 pm

Cat

It's kind of scary when you see an ambulance outside your house and you think the worst. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/22 at 3:21 pm

It's kind of scary when you see an ambulance outside your house and you think the worst.

The ambulance was parked two houses down because we had 2 cop cars in front of ours. At least they weren't the ones with their lights going-just their flashers.

Oh, I forgot to mention that one of the priests from the church on the other side of us came walking by in his priest robe or dress-whatever you call it. He went to talk to one of the cops. Then maybe about 5 minutes later, he came walking back. I guess his services weren't needed.

Cat

Written By: karen on 09/03/22 at 3:27 pm

Today I went to Lincoln for a day of dance. There were about 20 different Morris sides altogether. The day is arranged with several outdoor venues (in front of the cathedral, in a pub yard, in front of a museum, etc) and three or four sides dancing at each spot for about 45 minutes, then everyone moves around. At the end of the day we all met in one large paved area and each side performed their display dance.

Afterwards we went for tea and cake in the cathedral cafe.

Written By: Howard on 09/04/22 at 2:50 pm

Just found out from a customer they might be putting an air-conditioner in the recycling room, I hope that's true I can't wait for them to install it, it's a small room with no fan, just a warm breeze with the door wide open and I'm dying in there, I want the customers to feel as comfortable as possible.

Written By: Ripley on 09/06/22 at 2:44 pm

My time of year is arriving 🎃

Written By: nally on 09/06/22 at 7:56 pm

Always a pleasure to see you around on here. :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/07/22 at 8:56 am

I like autumn too, except for what it portends

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/22 at 1:54 pm

Saw some color starting today.

Cat

Written By: nally on 09/08/22 at 8:18 pm

So far, this month has been marked by plenty of heat in southern California (as noted on the weather thread). It might start cooling down this weekend, but there is also a high chance for rain, which we haven't had enough of this year.

I don't plan on going anywhere this weekend, so maybe I can chillax (and do some things inside) while the weather is "inclement."

Written By: nally on 09/10/22 at 10:52 pm

Today turned out to be a nice stay-at-home day. There was some light rain throughout the day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/22 at 3:59 am

The weekend was a quiet one, main birthday celebrations will be held later on.

Written By: karen on 09/12/22 at 12:55 pm

Today is our wedding anniversary. Technically it is the Pearl Anniversary (30 years) but I didn’t get any!

We went out for a meal last night as Dai was supposed to be away from home with his work today. That has been cancelled so we are having a glass of wine with dinner.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/22 at 1:02 pm

Today is our wedding anniversary. Technically it is the Pearl Anniversary (30 years) but I didn’t get any!

We went out for a meal last night as Dai was supposed to be away from home with his work today. That has been cancelled so we are having a glass of wine with dinner.
Happy anniversary!

Pearly white teeth?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/12/22 at 1:11 pm

Happy anniversary!

Pearly white teeth?

i remember the famous Prell shampoo commercials fromt he 60s & 70s. Some disappointed customers actually expected to get a pearl in the bottle of shampoo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRDioD3zubw

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/22 at 1:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf8ZAMRO1DU

Cat

Written By: nally on 09/12/22 at 7:58 pm

Happy Anniversary to you!!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/12/22 at 11:20 pm

Happy Anniversary!!!  :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/13/22 at 9:42 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf8ZAMRO1DU

Cat

Ditto, and many more

Written By: nally on 09/14/22 at 12:53 am

Busy time for me at work this week as we approach the middle of the month. Then later in the month it’ll not only be the end of another month, but also the end of our company’s fiscal year, which is an even busier time.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/15/22 at 2:24 pm

Tomorrow is the day. The porch is set up but I still have to get the lawn done which I will do tomorrow morning EARLY! And it is supposed to be cold tomorrow morning, too (in the low 40s  :-\\ ). Since I will be working, that will help keep me warm but I will have to make sure to have my gloves ready.

I don't think I will make as much as I did last year but I really hope to get rid of more crap stuff. I am pretty much having a 5 for $1 sale-not with everything but a lot. If things go well, this may be the last sale for a while.

Cat

Written By: karen on 09/15/22 at 2:37 pm

Thanks for the anniversary good wishes. It was nice to go out for a meal just the two of us. We are also having a weekend away in October

Written By: nally on 09/15/22 at 8:16 pm

Busy time for me at work this week as we approach the middle of the month. Then later in the month it’ll not only be the end of another month, but also the end of our company’s fiscal year, which is an even busier time.

And today everything went according to plan. It’s always nice to not have to rush to get things done.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/22 at 3:31 am

I will not be online till Tuesday next week, for I will have my family here and the aspect of the funeral for HM Queen Elizabeth II on Monday, I do not know yet the our plans for that day.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/22 at 3:35 am

I will not be online till Tuesday next week, for I will have my family here and the aspect of the funeral for HM Queen Elizabeth II on Monday, I do not know yet the our plans for that day.

OK,Take care of yourself and see you soon. :)

Written By: nally on 09/16/22 at 11:56 pm

Please take care in all you do.

Written By: Howard on 09/17/22 at 7:34 am

I'm finally on vacation starting this Sunday so I'm looking forward to it, it's been a very stressful week at work so I definitely need it, So far for next week I will getting my yearly physical and hanging out with my good friends.  :)

Written By: nally on 09/17/22 at 3:42 pm

That reminds me, I still need to schedule my annual physical examination in the not-too-distant future as well. Last year I had mine in October, so it's been almost a whole year. Therefore I need to act quickly.

Written By: Ripley on 09/18/22 at 3:05 pm

It’s in the 100s, 90’s and 80’s still and will be even in early October! I want the 50’s and 60’s! 😭

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/22 at 3:08 pm

Busy weekend. Unfortunately, the sale wasn't as good as last year's (which I didn't think it would be). But, it was really slow-especially on Saturday. I don't understand because there was a big todo in the park and I thought a lot of people would come from out of town. I may go again next weekend.

Meanwhile, this happened:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52367571520_c24b98308f.jpg

She showed up and was just all over us. Our guess is that is maybe about 6 months. We have never seen her before. We brought her inside and she seems very content. The others (especially Luna) has gotten their nose tweaked but otherwise there has been no real battles going on. They know she is just a baby. She still doesn't have a name yet. We have been trying some on for size. Minerva keeps popping up. Tomorrow, I will make an appointment with the vet.

So, I sold a fur coat and gained a furball.

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 09/18/22 at 3:10 pm

Busy weekend. Unfortunately, the sale wasn't as good as last year's (which I didn't think it would be). But, it was really slow-especially on Saturday. I don't understand because there was a big todo in the park and I thought a lot of people would come from out of town. I may go again next weekend.

She showed up and was just all over us. Our guess is that is maybe about 6 months. We have never seen her before. We brought her inside and she seems very content. The others (especially Luna) has gotten their nose tweaked but otherwise there has been no real battles going on. They know she is just a baby. She still doesn't have a name yet. We have been trying some on for size. Minerva keeps popping up. Tomorrow, I will make an appointment with the vet.

Cat

Awwww congrats on your new furry addition!

Written By: Howard on 09/18/22 at 3:11 pm

It’s in the 100s, 90’s and 80’s still and will be even in early October! I want the 50’s and 60’s! 😭

As for New York, this week for the next few days will be in the low 80's then by next week, we'll get that Autumn feel.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/22 at 3:13 pm

Cat

She's so cute, Congrats. :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/18/22 at 4:32 pm

Cat

You know what they say. You do not choose a cat, a cat chooses you.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/VD9nrwBpEqg/hqdefault.jpg

Written By: karen on 09/18/22 at 5:11 pm

Yesterday I helped out at a junior orienteering squad coaching session. Dai planned the various activities.

Today I marshalled at a race organised to raise funds for the scout group my children used to attend. Someone we knew years ago when Dai was a student was organising it. Dai had volunteered his services but then had to go to the USA with work so I helped out instead. It was a fun event to help at, but the wind was cold. I had loads of layers of clothing on.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/22 at 5:29 pm

You know what they say. You do not chose a cat, a cat choses you.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/VD9nrwBpEqg/hqdefault.jpg

Minerva isn't official yet. And part of the reason why we are thinking of the name-not just because she is the Goddess of wisdom but also after Professor Minerva McGonagall from Harry Potter who besides being my favorite character, she turns into a tabby cat.

What I forgot to write in my last post was how tired and sore I am. I was pretty much asleep by 11 last night (that is the time when we usually start heading upstairs before getting into the tub before bed) and forced myself to get up about 9. I basically took the day off. The dishes & laundry need to be done but they can wait until tomorrow.

I'm wondering if I really want to go through all of this next weekend, too. But, it shouldn't be too hard since everything is on the porch. I just have to reset up the lawn. And hopefully, we don't get another cat. There was a different one hanging around before I set up yesterday. Don't know if it is our little one's sib or something.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/18/22 at 5:35 pm

Minerva isn't official yet. And part of the reason why we are thinking of the name-not just because she is the Goddess of wisdom but also after Professor Minerva McGonagall from Harry Potter who besides being my favorite character, she turns into a tabby cat.

Cat

It's likely that Minerva McGonagall name derives from the goddess Minerva also, so it's really all one thing.  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/22 at 5:59 pm

It's likely that Minerva McGonagall name derives from the goddess Minerva also, so it's really all one thing.  ;)

Yup.

But, the name hasn't been decided yet. Some other names we have been kicking around:

-Cassiopeia
-Molly (another Harry Potter character)
-Athena
-Rowena (yes, another Harry Potter character)

You might think we have something for Harry Potter considering our Luna was named for a character from the book, too.  ;) :D ;D

When I first saw her, the named Ruthie popped into my head. When I sent a pic to my sister, she said that she looks very Ruthie-ish. Yeah, we had a tabby when we were kids by the name of Ruthie. Carlos vetoed that name. I think I am going to veto Cassiopeia-but if we shorten it to Cassie-I could handle it.

As of now, Minerva seems to be top of the list. (It was funny, when I suggested it last night, Carlos dismissed it. Then he brought it up later and I said that I thought he dismissed it. He said that he was warming up to it.)

If anyone has any other name, we are open to ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXkLgtusza4

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/18/22 at 6:49 pm

Yup.

But, the name hasn't been decided yet. Some other names we have been kicking around:

-Cassiopeia
-Molly (another Harry Potter character)
-Athena
-Rowena (yes, another Harry Potter character)

You might think we have something for Harry Potter considering our Luna was named for a character from the book, too.  ;) :D ;D
Cat

Yes, but Minerva and Athena are the same thing. The Roman and the Greek. 

Written By: nally on 09/19/22 at 12:35 am

It’s in the 100s, 90’s and 80’s still and will be even in early October!

I can relate; it often gets like that where I am too (southern CA).

I want the 50’s and 60’s!

I start longing for cooler temps too whenever there's been lots of frequent heat.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/19/22 at 9:46 am

Yes, but Minerva and Athena are the same thing. The Roman and the Greek.

I thought so too, but Athena is more warlike, while Minerva is wise in a peaceful way, at least that's what a web site that Cat read from says

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/19/22 at 10:17 am

I thought so too, but Athena is more warlike, while Minerva is wise in a peaceful way, at least that's what a web site that Cat read from says

Yes, the Romans somewhat reinterpreted the Greek myths.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/22 at 1:24 pm

Today, the name Fiona keeps popping into my head. Hmmm. I wonder why.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/19/22 at 1:42 pm

Today, the name Fiona keeps popping into my head. Hmmm. I wonder why.

Cat

it might be ominous to name a cat after something so destructive.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/22 at 1:59 pm

it might be ominous to name a cat after something so destructive.

Yup.

I don't know why this cat's name is not revealing itself. I don't think I have ever had such a hard time naming a cat before.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/19/22 at 3:17 pm

Yup.

I don't know why this cat's name is not revealing itself. I don't think I have ever had such a hard time naming a cat before.

Cat

I'm warming up to Ruthie. I don't know why Carlos doesn't like it. Some cats are definitely Ruthies.

Written By: Ripley on 09/19/22 at 3:56 pm

Whatever her name will be she’s majestic😻

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/22 at 4:00 pm

I attend today the funeral procession the late HM Queen Elizabeth II and I am not in a thinking mood to be online right now.

Written By: Ripley on 09/19/22 at 5:37 pm

I attend today the funeral procession the late HM Queen Elizabeth II and I am not in a thinking mood to be online right now.

I watched on tv. May her Majesty rest peacefully.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/22 at 5:04 am

In a while, I will watching the sad events of yesterday on catch-up television.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/22 at 7:53 am

I watched it on TV too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/22 at 8:02 am

Still feeling tired after waiting for the Queen's hearse to pas by.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/22 at 8:11 am

Still feeling tired after waiting for the Queen's hearse to pas by.

How long was the queue?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/22 at 8:13 am

How long was the queue?
The queue average around 12 hours, but I was not in the queue, I was in Hyde Park waiting the late Queen's hearse to pass by on the way to Windsor, we were waiting for around 3 hours.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 09/20/22 at 9:29 am

Wasn't able to sleep Sunday night, so I watched the Queen's funeral.  I've become more emotionally involved than I would've predicted.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's because there are some parallels to my own experience.  She was one of the last public figures from my parents' generation.  She was born the same year as my mother, ascended to the throne the same year my parents got married, and my parents took me to England and Europe for the first time on the silver anniversary of her coronation.  I have fond memories of that 1978 trip.  As I watched the funeral, I couldn't help but remember the time we saw the crown jewels in the Tower of London, the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, and toured Westminster Abbey.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/20/22 at 9:37 am

Wasn't able to sleep Sunday night, so I watched the Queen's funeral.  I've become more emotionally involved than I would've predicted.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's because there are some parallels to my own experience.  She was one of the last public figures from my parents' generation.  She was born the same year as my mother, ascended to the throne the same year my parents got married, and my parents took me to England and Europe for the first time on the silver anniversary of her coronation.  I have fond memories of that 1978 trip.  As I watched the funeral, I couldn't help but remember the time we saw the crown jewels in the Tower of London, the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, and toured Westminster Abbey.

Oh, completely understandable. She was one of the most major figures of the mid-20th Century, the period you are referencing.  Both the good and the controversial stuff. I remember when John Lennon returned his MBE to the queen in 1969 "in protest against Britain's involvement in the Nigeria-Biafra thing, against our support of America in Vietnam, and against 'Cold Turkey' slipping down the charts. ''

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/22 at 2:12 pm

I get that. I kind of feel a bit involved, too because I always thought that my mother looked a bit like the Queen in her later years. I think it was their smile. I can't recall how many times I saw the Queen, I thought of my mother. My niece said that she thought that the Queen in her younger years looked a bit like another niece (her cousin). I never noticed it before until she said it.

Cat

Written By: nally on 09/20/22 at 10:58 pm

I didn't get a chance to view the Queen's funeral. For one thing, it started during an hour when most West Coasters (such as myself) are asleep; however, I did turn on the TV when I got up yesterday (Monday) morning (6:30am PDT) to see about a minute of the televised action. (I also have seen coverage from local TV reporters who were on assignment in the UK.) The important thing is, I needed to get ready for work.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/21/22 at 7:16 am

We have officially named the newest member of our family-Minerva. Yeah, it had always been at the top of the list. She now has a name so now I have to make a wellness appointment with the vet for her.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/21/22 at 7:33 am

We have officially named the newest member of our family-Minerva. Yeah, it had always been at the top of the list. She now has a name so now I have to make a wellness appointment with the vet for her.

Cat

Good Luck with Minerva.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/22 at 7:55 am

Cat
...and now the house training starts?

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/21/22 at 9:03 am

...and now the house training starts?

Actually she took to the litter box right away.  We are now working on her manners, like keeping off the tables, except the one in the kitchen, which looks out on the bird feeder - cat TV

Written By: Ripley on 09/21/22 at 1:51 pm

Cat

Cute name  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/21/22 at 7:26 pm

Actually she took to the litter box right away.  We are now working on her manners, like keeping off the tables, except the one in the kitchen, which looks out on the bird feeder - cat TV

Unlike Luna(Tic).  ::)

Cat

Written By: nally on 09/21/22 at 8:08 pm

Cat

Good name choice. O0

Written By: Ripley on 09/22/22 at 1:43 pm

It’s cool and rainy and I love it lol

Written By: Howard on 09/22/22 at 1:56 pm

I just had my yearly annual physical and everything's OK, blood pressure is good and so is my weight too but the only thing I hate since this is now going to be a every year thing after you reach 45 years old is they need a sample of your "you know what" which I won't mention on here.  8-P

Written By: karen on 09/22/22 at 4:04 pm

I just had my yearly annual physical and everything's OK, blood pressure is good and so is my weight too but the only thing I hate since this is now going to be a every year thing after you reach 45 years old is they need a sample of your "you know what" which I won't mention on here.  8-P

Ear wax  :-\\

Written By: karen on 09/22/22 at 4:06 pm

Very tired. Been very busy at work with just the two of us.

Written By: nally on 09/22/22 at 11:59 pm

I might have to deal with that in three years when I reach that age :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/22 at 6:23 am

I have just my Covid Booster vaccination (my 4th) and plan to rest today in case any side effects start. I am not sure when I will be back online.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/22 at 6:23 am

... just wait to you reach 65!

Written By: Howard on 09/23/22 at 7:55 am

Ear wax  :-\\

Nope, something different. It's a tool kit that they give to you after the age of 45, it is nauseating but it has to be done to check for colon cancer.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/22 at 7:56 am

I might have to deal with that in three years when I reach that age :-\\

It's only once a year so it's no big deal.

Written By: nally on 09/24/22 at 5:03 pm

It's only once a year so it's no big deal.

I understand. I’ll just have to be prepared.

Written By: Ripley on 09/24/22 at 7:14 pm

I have just my Covid Booster vaccination (my 4th) and plan to rest today in case any side effects start. I am not sure when I will be back online.

I need my fourth. I’m wondering if they will figure one out that’s yearly.

Written By: nally on 09/24/22 at 11:30 pm

I still have yet to get my booster this year. I hope to get it in the not-too-distant future.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/22 at 3:19 am

I understand. I’ll just have to be prepared.

Sometimes it's good to know your family history so once a year after age 45 the doctor will check your prostate and you will need a colonoscopy exam.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/25/22 at 9:33 am

Sometimes it's good to know your family history so once a year after age 45 the doctor will check your prostate and you will need a colonoscopy exam.

There are less intrusive ways, such as a  PSA blood test and a home test kit for colon cancer for those at low risk

Written By: Howard on 09/25/22 at 1:39 pm

There are less intrusive ways, such as a  PSA blood test and a home test kit for colon cancer for those at low risk

I remember seeing this commercial for people who want to check their stools for colon cancer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/22 at 1:45 am

Be prepared, I am feeling groggy with my fourth booster, my whole arm was aching and felt tired all day yesterday. I am taking painkillers.

Written By: Ripley on 09/26/22 at 4:08 pm

Be prepared, I am feeling groggy with my fourth booster, my whole arm was aching and felt tired all day yesterday. I am taking painkillers.

I hope you’re better soon. For me it’s worth it in the long run to be vaccinated.

Written By: Ripley on 09/26/22 at 4:09 pm

I did some minor organizing today. It felt good since I had been putting it off for ages lol.

Written By: karen on 09/26/22 at 4:10 pm

Still busy at work. Thankfully we have someone in to help out (though they’ve never done the job before). An extra pair of hands will still help

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/22 at 4:21 pm

Putting what was left from the yard sale away. I decided to go another weekend and in a way I am sorry I did. I mainly just sat there. Not too many sales. As my sister keeps telling me, even though it wasn't much, it was a bonus than if I didn't go the second weekend. True. And for everything that I sold, that was one less thing I had to pack up. But, I STILL have a lot of crap stuff. Not gonna have a sale next year. And not too sure about the following year, either. We shall see.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/27/22 at 4:06 pm

So little Minerva had her first vet visit today. Doc put her at about a year +/-. We thought she was younger. Doc told us to pick a day in Sept/Oct that will be her "birthday." I told her that Luna's is Sept. 10th. Doc suggested Halloween but I said that we can't have that because that is when we celebrate Elvira coming to live with us. Then she suggested the day she came to us-So, Sept. 16th, 2021 is now her "birthday."  Besides a MINOR case of earmites (Doc only saw two eggs and one mother so it was caught early in the infestation), she had got a clean bill of health. She had a bunch of shots and an appointment to get spay & chipped.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/22 at 5:01 am

Firstly, my tablet was playing up, so I gave up on it.
Secondly, my plans for the day have change, I feeling groggy with the side effects from my Covid jab.
And thirdly, the computer is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Written By: Ripley on 09/28/22 at 3:27 pm

So little Minerva had her first vet visit today. Doc put her at about a year +/-. We thought she was younger. Doc told us to pick a day in Sept/Oct that will be her "birthday." I told her that Luna's is Sept. 10th. Doc suggested Halloween but I said that we can't have that because that is when we celebrate Elvira coming to live with us. Then she suggested the day she came to us-So, Sept. 16th, 2021 is now her "birthday."  Besides a MINOR case of earmites (Doc only saw two eggs and one mother so it was caught early in the infestation), she had got a clean bill of health. She had a bunch of shots and an appointment to get spay & chipped.

Cat

It’s good she got a clean bill of health😻

Written By: nally on 09/28/22 at 7:45 pm

I hope you’re better soon. For me it’s worth it in the long run to be vaccinated.

I agree. Btw I made an appointment for my booster shot for next Wednesday afternoon. I had hoped to get it on the weekend, but nothing was available within 10 miles of where I live.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/22 at 2:19 am

Exactly, and I feel that some of the side effects last longer because of my age.

Written By: Ripley on 09/29/22 at 6:02 pm

I agree. Btw I made an appointment for my booster shot for next Wednesday afternoon. I had hoped to get it on the weekend, but nothing was available within 10 miles of where I live.

Hopefully that goes well.

Written By: nally on 09/29/22 at 8:20 pm

Hopefully that goes well.

I hope so too. I’ll have to leave the office early that day.

Who knows if I’ll get any side effects. It happened with my second shot in May last year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/22 at 3:39 am

Feeling better today, and my family are due here later.

Written By: nally on 10/01/22 at 1:32 am

All done with work for the week.. and the month. This was one busy week for my company.

Now it’s time to close out the month and enjoy the weekend.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/22 at 2:39 pm

Just visiting ...

Check for new replies or respond here...