inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How do you remember things?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/22 at 10:12 am

Over the years, I have always used mnemonics to remember things:

The Great Lakes are Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, and Superior, as HOMES

Colours of the rainbow ROYGBIV (Richard Of York Gives Battle In Vain).

The order of the planets, before Pluto was demoted to a dwarf planet (My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas). The nearest planets I can remember when, but I still confuse myself with the outer planets Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, but now I remember it as a sun at both ends, The Sun (itself) and SUN at the end for Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.

Also, if going shopping for a few items, I remember the list as how many different items I need to buy.

Subject: Re: How do you remember things?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/22 at 3:22 pm

Sometimes mnemonics do work-Every Good Boy Does Fine and FACE come to mind.  (For those who do not know, that is the notes on the staff-EGBDF are the LINES and FACE are the spaces.)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cc/fd/c2/ccfdc23ab46b84f273ac59f4f27a6799.png

I have a semi-photographic memory. Sometimes (but not always) I can recall seeing something on a page. When I am trying to recall someone's name, I start with A-and think of a bunch of names that begin with A. Then on B, etc. I can usually recall the name when I reach the letter it begins in-but not always.

As to recalling WHEN something happened, I usually recall where I was when I heard it and that will give me a hint of when it took place. For instance, I recall when John Lennon died because I remembered it was in December of my senior year of high school. So, without looking it up, it was Dec. 1980 but I can't recall the day. (Crap, I just dated myself again. I HATE when I do that.)

Also, I'm sure most people here know that I keep a journal. That helps me to remember things.

I refer to myself as "the keeper of birthdays." I remember people's birthdays. Once I "file" someone's birthday in my memory, it is really hard for me to "unremember" it. I can even remember the birthday of the boy I had a crush on in 2nd grade. I probably recall the birthday of EVERY boyfriend I ever had. I WISH I could forget those. Sometimes (usually when I am soaking in the tub), I will start with January 1st and go through the calendar in my head and recall EVERYONE'S (family and friends) birthday-I try not to put ex-boyfriends in there. 

Cat

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/29/22 at 4:25 pm

O0 Interesting topic!

Over the years, I have always used mnemonics to remember things:

The Great Lakes are Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, and Superior, as HOMES

Colours of the rainbow ROYGBIV (Richard Of York Gives Battle In Vain).

The order of the planets, before Pluto was demoted to a dwarf planet (My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas). The nearest planets I can remember when, but I still confuse myself with the outer planets Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, but now I remember it as a sun at both ends, The Sun (itself) and SUN at the end for Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.

Also, if going shopping for a few items, I remember the list as how many different items I need to buy.

Kudos for using that system (it's not something I use much, but perhaps should)

...I have a semi-photographic memory. Sometimes (but not always) I can recall seeing something on a page...

Cat

Sometimes that applies to me too, but sadly not always.

...As to recalling WHEN something happened, I usually recall where I was when I heard it and that will give me a hint of when it took place...

Cat

I definitely do this.  That's why when I post early-to-mid 70's songs I'll mention for instance it was popular when I was in 6th Grade, because I frequently have specific 6th Grade memories I associate with that song.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/22 at 4:30 pm

O0 Interesting topic!

Kudos for using that system (it's not something I use much, but perhaps should)

Sometimes that applies to me too, but sadly not always.

I definitely do this.  That's why when I post early-to-mid 70's songs I'll mention for instance it was popular when I was in 6th Grade, because I frequently have specific 6th Grade memories I associate with that song.

Yup-not necessarily 6th grade but any grade, any time, etc.

Cat

Written By: nally on 09/29/22 at 11:34 pm

I have a semi-photographic memory. Sometimes (but not always) I can recall seeing something on a page. When I am trying to recall someone's name, I start with A-and think of a bunch of names that begin with A. Then on B, etc. I can usually recall the name when I reach the letter it begins in-but not always.

I can relate.

As to recalling WHEN something happened, I usually recall where I was when I heard it and that will give me a hint of when it took place.

That's how it often is with me too. I can remember where I was on this date on a certain past year, and (in most cases) what I was doing.

Also, I'm sure most people here know that I keep a journal. That helps me to remember things.

Yup, I've done that over the years too. Sometimes I'm in the mood to keep one, depending on how eventful whatever the experience/event is.

Written By: nally on 09/29/22 at 11:39 pm

Anyhoo, there are times when I can easily remember something I see without having to write it down, but if my short term memory fails me, then I have to write it down. This has helped me at work. If I need to, I will set up a reminder on my Outlook (at work) so that I can remember to do something at a specific time of day. I also have a calendar book, on which I write things I typically do on a specific day of the week/month/year. That helps me plan out what I need to do on a daily basis.

Check for new replies or respond here...