inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: October 2022 monthly thread; you know the drill.

Written By: nally on 10/01/22 at 1:35 am

And so the calendar turns to October. Here is your new monthly thread!

White rabbits!!

Subject: Re: October 2022 monthly thread; you know the drill.

Written By: karen on 10/01/22 at 11:36 am

Open Morning at the school where I work. I was in the department most of the morning as we were slightly short staffed.

Dai took James back to university this morning. He is starting his final year

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/22 at 2:00 pm

Still cleaning up from this year's yard sale. It is SLOWLY coming together. Still have some crap stuff on the porch. Yeah, we live in a low crime area because we can keep things on the porch and no one touches it. But, if they did rip it off-at this point they would be doing me a favor because what is out there will be donated. Hopefully, this time next week the house will be back to normal.

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/02/22 at 11:23 pm

Still cleaning up from this year's yard sale. It is SLOWLY coming together. Still have some crap stuff on the porch. Yeah, we live in a low crime area because we can keep things on the porch and no one touches it. But, if they did rip it off-at this point they would be doing me a favor because what is out there will be donated. Hopefully, this time next week the house will be back to normal.

Cat

Good luck with all that. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/22 at 12:14 am

It has been the usual weekend with the family, fun and games with the little one.

Written By: nally on 10/03/22 at 8:11 pm

And today was back to the daily grind. Lotsa work to do.

And when I got home, I received a message that my booster shot is gonna be postponed til Friday. Which is not so bad, because then I’ll have next weekend to recover.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/22 at 1:14 pm

And today was back to the daily grind. Lotsa work to do.

And when I got home, I received a message that my booster shot is gonna be postponed til Friday. Which is not so bad, because then I’ll have next weekend to recover.
Excellent planning there, and I had mine on a Friday too.

Written By: nally on 10/04/22 at 10:01 pm

Excellent planning there, and I had mine on a Friday too.

Thing is, when I went online to register for it, I took the first opportunity, which was Wednesday, cause I wanted to get it taken care of asap. But like I said yesterday, it had to be moved to Friday. I should have probably realised that Friday would be better in the first place.
So this morning when I got to work, I let my boss know of this. She was understanding of it. She also said she’s gonna get hers this weekend.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/22 at 8:54 am

Just had my flu jab, and now I am covered for 4 different strains.

Written By: nally on 10/05/22 at 11:43 pm

Just had my flu jab, and now I am covered for 4 different strains.

I need to get one of those as well. Tomorrow it'll be a whole year since I had my last one.

But I'm gonna get my covid booster first.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/22 at 12:33 am

I need to get one of those as well. Tomorrow it'll be a whole year since I had my last one.

But I'm gonna get my covid booster first.
The two jabs can be done on the same day, using different arms.

Written By: karen on 10/06/22 at 12:57 am

My dad and mother in law are having this next week

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/22 at 2:04 pm

We have had 2 shots and 2 boosters.

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/07/22 at 11:25 pm

But I didn't choose to do that this time. Just the covid booster. So now I am double-boosted. That seemed to go well.

Hopefully I can get the flu jab later this month.

Written By: Ripley on 10/09/22 at 5:03 pm

Taking it easy the next two days, aside from some light vacuuming.

Written By: nally on 10/09/22 at 9:55 pm

But I didn't choose to do that this time. Just the covid booster. So now I am double-boosted. That seemed to go well.

And I am happy to report that I had no side effects at all from the booster shot!

Written By: nally on 10/11/22 at 10:20 pm

So, this morning my parents left the house early to drive up to Reno, to visit my mother’s cousin and his wife; spend a few days with them. They’ll be staying up there till Saturday morning. So I’m taking care of the house while they’re away (and go to work).

Written By: karen on 10/12/22 at 4:40 pm

I went to see a group called the Pitmen Poets this evening. They sang traditional and more modern songs from mining villages mostly from the north of England. Songs that tell tales of life underground, life as a miners wife, a mining disaster, etc. Some of it had choruses for us to join in.

Written By: nally on 10/12/22 at 11:21 pm

So, this morning my parents left the house early to drive up to Reno, to visit my mother’s cousin and his wife; spend a few days with them. They’ll be staying up there till Saturday morning. So I’m taking care of the house while they’re away (and go to work).

And today my parents texted me from Reno, letting me know that they were having a nice time with my mom's cousin and cousin-in-law. :) (My mom has been very close with them for the longest time.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/22 at 9:43 am

Been dashing around London, and all is fine
Finally settling down, to be online.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/15/22 at 3:38 pm

Went on a photo shoot today. Will upload some pics in the next couple of days.

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/15/22 at 4:04 pm

Went on a photo shoot today. Will upload some pics in the next couple of days.

Cat

Hope you had a nice time w/ that!

Written By: nally on 10/15/22 at 4:08 pm

And today my parents texted me from Reno, letting me know that they were having a nice time with my mom's cousin and cousin-in-law. :) (My mom has been very close with them for the longest time.)

Today they are traveling back towards home. They left Reno between 6:30 and 7 this morning, and have made a few stops along the way. In fact, I just got a call from my mom, saying they were in Bakersfield, waiting in line at the Costco gas station there. They hope to be back home in 2-3 hours.

Written By: nally on 10/15/22 at 7:38 pm

Today they are traveling back towards home. They left Reno between 6:30 and 7 this morning, and have made a few stops along the way. In fact, I just got a call from my mom, saying they were in Bakersfield, waiting in line at the Costco gas station there. They hope to be back home in 2-3 hours.

They just got home an hour ago; now they are very tired from driving such a long distance for several hours.

Written By: karen on 10/16/22 at 12:04 pm

Yesterday was our orienteering club champs. Someone works out a handicapped time to start running your course such that everyone should finish at 12.30. I ran better than expected and finished about ten minutes early. Dai was slightly slower, so arrived a little bit after the ideal time. He was still third overall on the long course.
Afterwards we had a picnic lunch together and then had the various trophies given out.

Written By: nally on 10/16/22 at 11:32 pm

Month half over already...where does the time go?! :o

I will do my best to enjoy each remaining day of the month. :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/17/22 at 12:00 am

Hosted a house full of people this evening - a lot of work in food prep/cleaning.  :P  Had a good time but glad to be done.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/22 at 7:12 am

Month half over already...where does the time go?! :o

I will do my best to enjoy each remaining day of the month. :)

In just 2 weeks it will be the end of October. :o

Written By: Howard on 10/17/22 at 7:13 am

Hosted a house full of people this evening - a lot of work in food prep/cleaning.  :P  Had a good time but glad to be done.

Was there a party?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/22 at 8:09 am

A gathering or a party?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/22 at 8:10 am

Spend another weekend with the family.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/17/22 at 9:52 am

Was there a party?

A gathering or a party?

There's a group of 10 of us good friends from church that get together twice a month.  We meet at each other's houses (except During COVID we did Zoom).  We rotate; last night was our turn.  So, more of a gathering than a party.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/17/22 at 9:54 am

Yesterday was our orienteering club champs. Someone works out a handicapped time to start running your course such that everyone should finish at 12.30. I ran better than expected and finished about ten minutes early. Dai was slightly slower, so arrived a little bit after the ideal time. He was still third overall on the long course.
Afterwards we had a picnic lunch together and then had the various trophies given out.

O0 Sounds like a good event - and trophies are always good!

Written By: Howard on 10/17/22 at 2:26 pm

There's a group of 10 of us good friends from church that get together twice a month.  We meet at each other's houses (except During COVID we did Zoom).  We rotate; last night was our turn.  So, more of a gathering than a party.

What food did you serve?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/22 at 4:26 pm

What food did you serve?
Lobster Thermidor au Crevettes with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.  ;D

Written By: nally on 10/17/22 at 10:53 pm

In just 2 weeks it will be the end of October. :o

Yup... Halloween. http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/halloween/cheesy.gif

Game Three of the World Series will be played that night in either San Diego or Philadelphia (weather permitting).

Written By: nally on 10/17/22 at 10:57 pm

Glad you're back to meeting in person again (if I understand the post correctly).

On a similar note, this past weekend I got together with some friends that I've been dining out with. It was our first time eating together at a restaurant since before Covid. (We had been doing this on a monthly basis for a lotta years, but sometimes I haven't gone because either the restaurant of choice is one that doesn't interest me, or I haven't felt up to it, or I've had other plans.) I was one of six attendees; we had a good time together.

Written By: Howard on 10/18/22 at 3:15 am

Lobster Thermidor au Crevettes with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.  ;D

That sounds delicious.  :)

Written By: Ripley on 10/19/22 at 2:57 pm

Glad you all had a good time with your get togethers.

Written By: Ripley on 10/19/22 at 3:47 pm

It’s cooler today. Unfortunately we have 3 hot days tomorrow. I’m ready for it to always be cool. Granted I’m more sensitive to when it’s below 50, unlike when I was in my twenties, I prefer 49 over 80+ any day. The 50’s to mid 70’s are ideal for me though. And despite stores being more busy, I love the holiday time. For me it’s October 1 - December 31. As I celebrate Halloween all month and I celebrate Christmas in all of November and December.

8) :) :

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/19/22 at 9:03 pm

What food did you serve?

I don't even know what that is!  ;D

I made my special appetizer meatballs, mixed some pub cheese with pimentos, cut cheese cubes, cut a veggie tray with homemade dip, homemade toffee bars topped with almonds (lots of butter), fresh baked chocolate chip cookies, sliced apples with my special dip recipe, plus store bought crackers, nuts, and m&ms.  I always must cover the whole table with food...

Written By: Howard on 10/20/22 at 3:25 am

I don't even know what that is!  ;D

I made my special appetizer meatballs, mixed some pub cheese with pimentos, cut cheese cubes, cut a veggie tray with homemade dip, homemade toffee bars topped with almonds (lots of butter), fresh baked chocolate chip cookies, sliced apples with my special dip recipe, plus store bought crackers, nuts, and m&ms.  I always must cover the whole table with food...

I think you should come over our house and cover our dinner table with food. ;D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/20/22 at 10:37 am

I think you should come over our house and cover our dinner table with food. ;D

;D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/20/22 at 10:40 am

Will be sporadic on this board for a few days - headed back to Ohio.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/22 at 11:04 am

Thank you for the update, and take good care.

Written By: karen on 10/20/22 at 12:40 pm

Dai and I are going away tomorrow for a few days. We are going across to Ironbridge, said by many to be the birth place of the Industrial Revolution.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/22 at 1:07 pm

With my family arriving earlier than expected, and it being half-term (a short holiday off school) next week, this will be my last posting on the boards for some while.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/20/22 at 2:47 pm

Dai and I are going away tomorrow for a few days. We are going across to Ironbridge, said by many to be the birth place of the Industrial Revolution.

O0 Have fun!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/20/22 at 2:48 pm

With my family arriving earlier than expected, and it being half-term (a short holiday off school) next week, this will be my last posting on the boards for some while.

Enjoy the family visit, Philip!

Written By: Howard on 10/20/22 at 3:06 pm

;D

What's good on your menu if you have one?

Written By: Howard on 10/20/22 at 3:07 pm

Enjoy spending time with family.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/20/22 at 3:08 pm

Enjoy your time off the boards. :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/20/22 at 9:40 pm

What's good on your menu if you have one?

Hubby says "Everything!"  ;D

Written By: nally on 10/20/22 at 11:05 pm

Please take care with your travels. Most importantly, stay safe!

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/21/22 at 10:00 am

The book I'm reading now, Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by Marcus Rediker argues that the early maritime industry was first because it was based on wage labor.  Anyway, enjoy your mini vacation

Written By: nally on 10/21/22 at 11:19 pm

Sounds like it might be interesting. Enjoy your journey!

Written By: nally on 10/21/22 at 11:20 pm

And now, one weekend later, this couple is traveling down to California to visit us; they'll be coming over tomorrow night for dinner... as my parents prepare to celebrate their 46th anniversary (which is Monday). :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/21/22 at 11:53 pm

And now, one weekend later, this couple is traveling down to California to visit us; they'll be coming over tomorrow night for dinner... as my parents prepare to celebrate their 46th anniversary (which is Monday). :)

Enjoy your guests and Happy Anniversary to your parents!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/21/22 at 11:54 pm

Greetings all from Ohio...

Written By: nally on 10/21/22 at 11:54 pm

Thanks! We're gonna make a pizza.

Then on Sunday night, we're gonna go out for dinner.

Monday, I'm sure my parents will find a way to spend their special day. (I'll be goin' to work.)

Written By: Howard on 10/22/22 at 3:07 am

Happy Anniversary to them. :)

Written By: Howard on 10/22/22 at 3:08 am

Hey AG, How's your trip so far? :)

Written By: nally on 10/22/22 at 3:05 pm

So, today I went to the library for the first time since before the covid outbreak. (I began volunteering there ten years ago.) It felt great to be back there for the first time in 2 1/2 years. The person in charge was glad to see me back again; so was another staff member. (I even gave a hug to both ladies.) I spent an hour and a half there, doing a few simple tasks.

Written By: nally on 10/22/22 at 11:36 pm

Our guests enjoyed our hospitality and our food. (To recap, our guests were my mother's cousin and his wife, who have both been very close with my mom since they were kids.) We had a really great time.

Then after they left, we had lots o' cleaning up to do!

Written By: nally on 10/23/22 at 2:48 pm

Tonight we're going out for dinner to celebrate. (We're essentially celebrating all weekend long.)

Written By: Ripley on 10/23/22 at 3:34 pm

Happy Anniversary to your parents!

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/24/22 at 9:20 am

Tonight we're going out for dinner to celebrate. (We're essentially celebrating all weekend long.)

That's the kind of party I like.  Have a great time

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/24/22 at 11:42 am

Hey AG, How's your trip so far? :)

Had a good trip to Ohio - back home now.  It was great spending the long weekend with our peeps.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/22 at 12:55 pm

Happy Anniversary to your parents.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/24/22 at 1:06 pm

Happy anniversary!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/22 at 1:23 pm

Today was SOOO much fun-not! I cleaned our living room chandelier.  ::)  I noticed that the living room seemed kind of dim. When I looked up at the chandelier, I could see the grime on the globes. Had a hell of a time figuring out how to get the globes off. At first I didn't want to push it so I started to clean them while they were still on but then I figured it. All globes are now washed and drying. I'm sure the living room will be much brighter now.

Yeah, it is one of those jobs that you don't think about.

Here are some pics when we first put it up.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52451617114_a59d02445e.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52451344511_94762539df.jpg

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/24/22 at 2:33 pm

Had a good trip to Ohio - back home now.  It was great spending the long weekend with our peeps.  :)

Where do you plan on going next trip?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/24/22 at 5:08 pm

Where do you plan on going next trip?

Ohio

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/22 at 5:18 pm

Ohio

Where in Ohio? My ex was from (and is buried) there.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/24/22 at 5:48 pm

Where in Ohio? My ex was from (and is buried) there.

Cat

The outskirts of Columbus.  That's where the family moved to in 2020.  We go there now several times a year to see them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/22 at 6:05 pm

The outskirts of Columbus.  That's where the family moved to in 2020.  We go there now several times a year to see them.

He was from Parma-on the outskirts of Cleveland. He is buried in Medina.

To be filed under small world, when we were doing eBay, one of our buyers lived on the same road that my ex-in-laws lived on.  :o :o

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/24/22 at 7:43 pm

Happy Anniversary to your parents.

Cat

Happy anniversary!

Thank you both!!

They spent the day at home today, while I went to work. Now they are cooking a nice meal for all of us to enjoy.

Written By: Howard on 10/25/22 at 3:22 am

Are there any good restaurants you go to with your Family in Ohio?

Written By: karen on 10/26/22 at 11:07 am

We stayed in a little hotel/inn in Much Wenlock. In Victorian times a local doctor (William Penny Brookes) and all-round do gooder started some village games, modelled on the Ancient Greek Olympic Games he had read about. A visitor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_de_Coubertin ) to the town saw the activity and started the international Olympic Games we know today. There is a town walk visiting various sites on interest linked to the original games and the historic visit.

We went to Blists Hill Victorian Town, which is an open air museum showing a typical industrial town of the area. It uses both buildings that were already on the site and other from the nearby area relocated. There are several workshops, an iron furnace and wrought iron works, a bank, sweet shop, pub, police station, mission church and some cottages. When we went there was a small fair in town with a coconut shy, swing boats, chair-o-plane and shove ha’penny.

The town of Ironbridge itself is interesting to poke around. As well as visiting the famous bridge we went to a great second hand bookshop and a couple of antique shops. We walked along the river and also up to the Museum of Iron.

On Sunday we came home via Cannock Chase for an orienteering event. We had to drive through some pretty deep flood water to get the parking area. The rain had stopped by the time we arrived and we had no further problems

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/26/22 at 11:40 am

We stayed in a little hotel/inn in Much Wenlock. In Victorian times a local doctor (William Penny Brookes) and all-round do gooder started some village games, modelled on the Ancient Greek Olympic Games he had read about. A visitor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_de_Coubertin ) to the town saw the activity and started the international Olympic Games we know today. There is a town walk visiting various sites on interest linked to the original games and the historic visit.

We went to Blists Hill Victorian Town, which is an open air museum showing a typical industrial town of the area. It uses both buildings that were already on the site and other from the nearby area relocated. There are several workshops, an iron furnace and wrought iron works, a bank, sweet shop, pub, police station, mission church and some cottages. When we went there was a small fair in town with a coconut shy, swing boats, chair-o-plane and shove ha’penny.

The town of Ironbridge itself is interesting to poke around. As well as visiting the famous bridge we went to a great second hand bookshop and a couple of antique shops. We walked along the river and also up to the Museum of Iron.

On Sunday we came home via Cannock Chase for an orienteering event. We had to drive through some pretty deep flood water to get the parking area. The rain had stopped by the time we arrived and we had no further problems
Sounds like good education fun.

... and this place is on my must-visit list.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/22 at 2:00 pm

Minerva is at the vet recouping from her operation this morning. I'm NOT going to say that she was "fixed" because she wasn't broken. But, she is now "altered" and chipped. She will be coming home about 4 this afternoon. Considering we have 3 others, the house is very quiet without her.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/26/22 at 2:01 pm

Minerva is at the vet recouping from her operation this morning. I'm NOT going to say that she was "fixed" because she wasn't broken. But, she is now "altered" and chipped. She will be coming home about 4 this afternoon. Considering we have 3 others, the house is very quiet without her.

Cat

What happened to her? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/22 at 5:59 pm

Minerva is home. A bit wobbly but she is VERY happy to be home and wants to play.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/26/22 at 9:02 pm

Minerva is home. A bit wobbly but she is VERY happy to be home and wants to play.

Cat

O0 Glad to hear!

Written By: nally on 10/26/22 at 11:00 pm

Cat

I’m very happy to hear that. O0

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/22 at 1:03 pm

Carlos thought that Minerva was mad at him for taking her to the vet yesterday. Just a few minutes ago, she was all over him like she usually is and he said, "Well, I guess she isn't mad at me after all." Or she has forgiven him.

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/28/22 at 11:15 pm

So...this was the end of a busy work week for me. End of the month is Monday.

In recent years, however, the end-of-month duties have required at least two days to completely accomplish, because the workload has gradually increased. So, while we accomplished a great deal of EOM tasks today, there will of course be more on Monday.

Meanwhile, I am going to take it easy this weekend and not worry about work again until Monday morning.

Written By: karen on 10/29/22 at 12:37 pm

Parkrun this morning, followed by a haircut

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/22 at 4:34 am

Had an excellent sleep overnight, woke up and remembered to put the clocks back one hour.

Written By: nally on 10/30/22 at 10:46 am

Had an excellent sleep overnight, woke up and remembered to put the clocks back one hour.

That’s right; you guys turn them back this weekend. O0 For those of us on the other side of the Pond, we do it next weekend.

Written By: nally on 11/01/22 at 12:01 am

So...this was the end of a busy work week for me. End of the month is Monday.

In recent years, however, the end-of-month duties have required at least two days to completely accomplish, because the workload has gradually increased. So, while we accomplished a great deal of EOM tasks today, there will of course be more on Monday.

Meanwhile, I am going to take it easy this weekend and not worry about work again until Monday morning.

And today at the office, we got everything completed for the month. It's always nice to make a plan and have everything come to fruition with it. O0

Check for new replies or respond here...