inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Celebrity Encounters

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/23 at 5:27 pm

Have you ever had a celebrity encounter?

I've had a few, including one I've never publicly told before where I ruined a special night for a former world famous child star, but I'll save the mystery of that one for later LOL

Back in the 80s, Kirk Muller, the NHL star of the New Jersey Devils, lived on my street in the off season for like a year or two.  One day, me and some of the neighbourhood kids were playing road hockey when suddenly Kirk and his buddies came over and asked if they could play a game with us.  Not fools, we of course said yes.  Those guys were treating it just like a real NHL game, so here is 10 year old me getting cross checked by a 21 year old NHL star LOL

Subject: Re: Celebrity Encounters

Written By: nally on 02/12/23 at 5:38 pm

^ Wow; that's an interesting story. O0 I myself have not had any.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/23 at 5:51 pm

When I was in 9th grade, we took a trip to the Air & Space Museum in Washington D.C. Then there was buzz that John Denver was there. I didn't really want to go up to him because so many people were already doing that and I felt bad for him because I'm sure he just wanted to enjoy the museum. But, a friend of my "dragged" me over and said to him, "My friend wants to shake your hand." So, he shook my hand. And that was the end of the encounter. I just let him have his space-even though that wasn't happening because everyone else was all over him. He was wearing a beard at the time which I think he might have worn so he could TRY to go incognito but it didn't work.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/23 at 9:56 pm

When I was in 9th grade, we took a trip to the Air & Space Museum in Washington D.C. Then there was buzz that John Denver was there. I didn't really want to go up to him because so many people were already doing that and I felt bad for him because I'm sure he just wanted to enjoy the museum. But, a friend of my "dragged" me over and said to him, "My friend wants to shake your hand." So, he shook my hand. And that was the end of the encounter. I just let him have his space-even though that wasn't happening because everyone else was all over him. He was wearing a beard at the time which I think he might have worn so he could TRY to go incognito but it didn't work.

Cat

That's cool that you got to meet John Denver.  Whenever I think of songs he sang, my go to is the "Plant a tree" jingle he did for Arbour day.  Every now and then, I get that stuck in my head

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/13/23 at 7:58 am

Depends on what you mean by celeb.  I hosted Howard Zinn who spoke at the college where I taught, and Utah Phillips after a concert he gave

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/13/23 at 2:31 pm

That's cool that you got to meet John Denver.  Whenever I think of songs he sang, my go to is the "Plant a tree" jingle he did for Arbour day.  Every now and then, I get that stuck in my head

My sister I think won tickets to one of his concerts and part of the prize was meeting him. I have a pic that was taken with her and her husband.  You can tell she was so thrilled.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/13/23 at 2:36 pm

Depends on what you mean by celeb.  I hosted Howard Zinn who spoke at the college where I taught, and Utah Phillips after a concert he gave

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=26885.0;attach=21459;image

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/13/23 at 3:17 pm

My sister I think won tickets to one of his concerts and part of the prize was meeting him. I have a pic that was taken with her and her husband.  You can tell she was so thrilled.

Cat

That's great. :)

Written By: nally on 02/13/23 at 11:53 pm

Cat

Sure looks like it. Thanks for sharing. O0

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/23 at 8:40 am

I've never publicly told this story before, but after all these years, I think it's safe to talk about...

I used to work customer service for an American cell phone company and one morning around 2 AM, I get a call from somebody who had just gotten married.  It was his wedding night and his phone service was suspended.  I couldn't help him, because the department that makes arrangements to restore accounts didn't open until 6 AM

I recognized his voice, and when he told me his name, I excitedly said "Like the actor?" and with the biggest sigh in a voice I ever heard, he said "Yep, the actor" almost like he was embarrassed that he was recognized, not as a famous actor, but a famous actor who couldn't pay his bill.

I won't say who it is, but let's just say when I told him I couldn't help him, if he had told me to shut up, I would have replied "I don't shut up. I grow up, and when I look at you I throw up"

Also, Martin Sheen once played President Kennedy, but he never appeared on any US currency

Check for new replies or respond here...