inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The monthly thread for April 2023

Written By: nally on 04/01/23 at 12:00 am

Three months down, nine months to go in the year 2023.

Welcome to the month of April. Let's hope it brings good things for all of us!

White Rabbits!!!

Subject: Re: The monthly thread for April 2023

Written By: nally on 04/01/23 at 10:10 am

Well? What is everyone doing today? (And this month for that matter?)

Today I have plenty of shopping to do.

Later this month, my dad will have his birthday on Easter Sunday; and on the 18th we’re leaving for our vacation trip to the Grand Canyon. Should be lots of fun.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/23 at 3:08 pm

My Mother's birthday is this Tuesday and lately she's been feeling down cause of her leg problems so hopefully a nice card will cheer her up.

Written By: nally on 04/01/23 at 4:47 pm

My Mother's birthday is this Tuesday and lately she's been feeling down cause of her leg problems so hopefully a nice card will cheer her up.

I hope so too. Wishing her the best. :)

Written By: Howard on 04/02/23 at 2:46 am

I hope so too. Wishing her the best. :)

Thanks. :)

Written By: nally on 04/02/23 at 11:00 am

Today I have plenty of shopping to do.

And I got all of it done successfully. This included buying party supplies at Party City (yes, there’s still such a store in my area), as well as paying for an order of food for my dad’s birthday next week. (We’re going to have to pick it up next Saturday and refrigerate it overnight because the place will be closed Sunday in honor of Easter.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/05/23 at 11:47 am

Just popping in to say all is fine with me and my family, but over the last few days and the next few days things have been quite busy. I will be back online when I can.

Written By: nally on 04/05/23 at 8:03 pm

Just popping in to say all is fine with me and my family, but over the last few days and the next few days things have been quite busy. I will be back online when I can.

Glad to hear things are fine with you. O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/23 at 12:01 am

Glad to hear things are fine with you. O0
Slight change of plans, today I will be at home...

Written By: karen on 04/06/23 at 2:20 pm

James is on his way home from Scotland where his girlfriend lives. She was directing a stage show, so he went to see that.

Dai and I are in the Lake District for the Easter weekend. The plan was a bit of orienteering training this afternoon, shower and then a nice meal out. Potter around the house doing bits and bobs to freshen things up as this house is on the market tomorrow. Saturday, Sunday and Monday should be orienteering on some lovely Lake District terrain.

Except after driving north for three hours or so the car broke down about a mile from the house. The clutch has gone. Of course it happened just before 6 pm so all the garages are closed. We got a recovery vehicle to bring us to the house and tomorrow we hit the phones trying to find someone that can repair it.

Written By: nally on 04/06/23 at 11:54 pm

Slight change of plans, today I will be at home...

Splendid!

As for me, I got home several minutes later than usual because I had to stop for groceries on the way home from work.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/07/23 at 9:17 am

James is on his way home from Scotland where his girlfriend lives. She was directing a stage show, so he went to see that.

Dai and I are in the Lake District for the Easter weekend. The plan was a bit of orienteering training this afternoon, shower and then a nice meal out. Potter around the house doing bits and bobs to freshen things up as this house is on the market tomorrow. Saturday, Sunday and Monday should be orienteering on some lovely Lake District terrain.

Except after driving north for three hours or so the car broke down about a mile from the house. The clutch has gone. Of course it happened just before 6 pm so all the garages are closed. We got a recovery vehicle to bring us to the house and tomorrow we hit the phones trying to find someone that can repair it.

Bummer.  Sounds like you drive a standard trans car? 

Written By: karen on 04/07/23 at 10:58 am

Bummer.  Sounds like you drive a standard trans car?

Manual cars (stick shifts) are the standard in the U.K.

We still haven’t found anyone to fix the car yet. Today was a public holiday so lots of businesses are closed. Some might be open tomorrow so we will try again if we get chance.

We have arranged a lift with someone for tomorrow morning. Waiting to speak to a friend about the rest of the weekend and getting home.

Written By: nally on 04/07/23 at 11:32 pm

Later this month, my dad will have his birthday on Easter Sunday

And tomorrow we're gonna start celebrating! This will include cleaning up the house so that it'll be ready for Sunday.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/08/23 at 9:49 am

Manual cars (stick shifts) are the standard in the U.K.

We still haven’t found anyone to fix the car yet. Today was a public holiday so lots of businesses are closed. Some might be open tomorrow so we will try again if we get chance.

We have arranged a lift with someone for tomorrow morning. Waiting to speak to a friend about the rest of the weekend and getting home.

That's interesting.  I've always driven manuals by preference, but it has become almost impossible to get them.  I'm talking Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus etc.  I wonder what's  going on.
Anyway, hope you get your problem resolved for not to many pounds 

Written By: nally on 04/08/23 at 10:57 pm

Started celebrating my dad’s birthday by taking him out for a meal today. Tomorrow is his actual birthday; we plan to have a nice celebration tomorrow at home (inviting some people over). This will be his first-ever Easter Sunday birthday. (The last time April 9th was Easter Sunday, the year was 1950, but that was three years before he was born.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/23 at 2:34 am

Started celebrating my dad’s birthday by taking him out for a meal today. Tomorrow is his actual birthday; we plan to have a nice celebration tomorrow at home (inviting some people over). This will be his first-ever Easter Sunday birthday. (The last time April 9th was Easter Sunday, the year was 1950, but that was three years before he was born.)
Happy birthday to your father!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/23 at 4:12 am

Let's say I do not feel like going out today, I am feeling rough with it and wish to be stay safe.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/23 at 7:21 am

Happy Birthday to your Father.

Written By: nally on 04/09/23 at 9:19 am

Happy birthday to your father!

Thank you Philip!
We are looking forward to a great celebration today.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/09/23 at 10:10 am

Happy Birthday to your dad, and many more

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/09/23 at 2:51 pm

Happy Birthday, to your dad.

In 2018 was the first time my birthday fell on Easter and Passover, and of course April Fool's Day-but that last is every year.  ;)

Cat

Written By: karen on 04/09/23 at 4:24 pm

I was orienteering a long time today, it was a difficult area.

We got home about 7 this evening. James and my mother in law were just finishing their meal. Dai and I cooked something quick for the two of us.

Just before sitting down to dinner I went into the utility room for something and spotted that the freezer door was wide open. Everything had melted.

Written By: nally on 04/09/23 at 8:01 pm

Hey, I just realised that the Easter emoticons weren’t turned on today. http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/easter/shocked.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/09/23 at 9:34 pm

Hey, I just realised that the Easter emoticons weren’t turned on today. http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/easter/shocked.gif

Oops. :-[

Cat

Written By: nally on 04/10/23 at 12:04 am

Oh well http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/easter/undecided.gif

Anyway I had a very nice day. So did my dad. We made it a very special day for him. http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/easter/smiley.gif Our guests enjoyed the celebration as well.

Written By: Howard on 04/10/23 at 3:12 am

Anyway I had a very nice day. So did my dad. We made it a very special day for him. http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/easter/smiley.gif Our guests enjoyed the celebration as well.

Where did you take him for dinner?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/23 at 5:46 am

Splendid news to hear

Written By: nally on 04/10/23 at 7:52 pm

Where did you take him for dinner?

To an Italian eatery in Westlake Village; this was on Saturday at noon.

Written By: nally on 04/12/23 at 11:40 pm

So, this week I think I've been feeling some "pre-vacation stress". This is due in part to the fact that I have lots of tasks to do before then (including my middle-of-the-month duties for the end of this week), as well as showing my coworker how to perform my tasks so that they'll get done while I'm away. She is catching on fairly well, which is good.
I also have to plan my packing lists at home.

Written By: nally on 04/14/23 at 1:10 am

Things went a little easier today; I still have more work to do tomorrow. And then over the weekend I need to make sure that my clothes are all washed so I can decide which ones to bring on the trip.

Written By: nally on 04/16/23 at 3:11 pm

Yesterday and today, I have prepared a packing list for my trip, and have laid out a few things that I know I'm going to pack.

Tomorrow night my suitcase and shoulder bag must both be packed up.

Written By: nally on 04/17/23 at 10:12 pm

I'm now all packed, and ready to leave in the morning!

Written By: Howard on 04/18/23 at 3:10 am

Have a good time. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/23 at 4:45 am

Please take good care

Written By: nally on 04/18/23 at 6:44 am

Please take good care

Thanks!! We need to be on the road by 5:00 am, which is only 15 minutes away.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/23 at 11:55 am

Thanks!! We need to be on the road by 5:00 am, which is only 15 minutes away.
If you get a chance to read this, there is usually free wi-fi at the airport departure lounge.

Written By: karen on 04/18/23 at 4:28 pm

Back to work yesterday. It always takes a couple of days to get back into the swing of it.

Yesterday morning was spent looking at some new student management software. We had to go to all the training sessions, but only a very small percentage was relevant to us. It was about half way through the training before I actually got the software to work on my iPad.

Last week I managed to arrange for our car to be transported to a garage for them to look at the clutch. It broke down on the Thursday before Easter. When it was collected a week later apparently the clutch was working again. The garage spent a couple of days looking at why it had failed, contacted me today to say it was fixed. Dai went to collect the car, and the clutch failed again more or less as he drove it away! So now the more expensive part needs to be replaced apparently.  ::)

Written By: nally on 04/18/23 at 9:05 pm

If you get a chance to read this, there is usually free wi-fi at the airport departure lounge.

And there was at LAX this morning!

But I didn’t use it for very long. We were in there to have breakfast while we waited to board our plane.

Written By: nally on 04/18/23 at 9:10 pm

So our flight from L.A. to Phoenix was a little over an hour long. After we landed, we went to pick up our rental car (which was prepaid); found a place to have lunch. And then we went north on I-17 and decided to stop briefly in Sedona to see a small chapel on the hill. (I took several pictures of the area.) Then we continued on towards Williams. So now we’re resting in our hotel suite as we prepare for our journey to the Grand Canyon tomorrow.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/19/23 at 8:05 am

A little late but safe travels and have a GREAT time.

Cat

Written By: nally on 04/19/23 at 4:42 pm

A little late but safe travels and have a GREAT time.

Cat

Thanks. We are enjoying it. I am especially excited to see places I’d never been to before.

Written By: nally on 04/20/23 at 9:11 pm

Today we saw more of the Grand Canyon, in the area east of the Village. I took plenty of pictures, mostly with my smartphone. I also did plenty of walking around in the area.

Then at 3pm it was time for us to board the train back to Williams, where we are staying another night at the GC Railway Hotel.

Written By: nally on 04/21/23 at 11:04 pm

Today: drove from Williams to Prescott, visited a family member (a cousin of my mom’s) and his wife, who moved there (from San Clemente, CA) in fall 2021. They took us out to dinner. Now we are resting in our hotel room.

Written By: nally on 04/22/23 at 11:58 pm

Flew home this afternoon. (Our flight from Phoenix to LAX was a little over an hour long.) Stopped for dinner on the way home; now we’re ready to get some rest. I must say, this was quite an enjoyable vacation trip; it was much needed for me. I had not taken a true vacation since 2019, and after working so much over the last couple of years, I needed some time away.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/23 at 1:20 am

Flew home this afternoon. (Our flight from Phoenix to LAX was a little over an hour long.) Stopped for dinner on the way home; now we’re ready to get some rest. I must say, this was quite an enjoyable vacation trip; it was much needed for me. I had not taken a true vacation since 2019, and after working so much over the last couple of years, I needed some time away.

Gee it's great to be back home again.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/23 at 2:52 am

Glad you had a good time. :)

Written By: nally on 04/23/23 at 11:08 am

Gee it's great to be back home again.

Coincidentally, when we got back in our car (where it was parked in the structure), we turned on the SiriusXM radio and heard “Back Home Again” by John Denver on the 70s On 7 channel!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/23/23 at 11:17 am

Coincidentally, when we got back in our car (where it was parked in the structure), we turned on the SiriusXM radio and heard “Back Home Again” by John Denver on the 70s On 7 channel!

Synchronicity:
The simultaneous occurrence of events which appear significantly related but have no discernible causal connection.
-Oxford Languages Dictionary

"This amazing phenomenon is called synchronicity. It’s defined as a meaningful coincidence—an event on the outside that speaks to something on the inside—as opposed to just a random occurrence. If it means something to us, it automatically becomes something deeper."
-Dr. Mark Hyman
https://drhyman.com/blog/2020/02/11/coincidence-or-synchronicity/

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/23 at 11:23 am

O0

Synchronicity:
The simultaneous occurrence of events which appear significantly related but have no discernible causal connection.
-Oxford Languages Dictionary

"This amazing phenomenon is called synchronicity. It’s defined as a meaningful coincidence—an event on the outside that speaks to something on the inside—as opposed to just a random occurrence. If it means something to us, it automatically becomes something deeper."
-Dr. Mark Hyman
https://drhyman.com/blog/2020/02/11/coincidence-or-synchronicity/
I have noticed that as I got older coincidences occur more often.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/23/23 at 1:21 pm

O0
I have noticed that as I got older coincidences occur more often.

You mean "coincidences". I have noticed the same thing. Perhaps as a person gets closer to their ultimate destiny the ONENESS of LIFE reveals itself more and more. Just a theory.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/23 at 1:50 pm

Glad you had a great time. Getting away is always nice but I always find that coming home again is even nicer.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/23 at 2:14 pm

You mean "coincidences". I have noticed the same thing. Perhaps as a person gets closer to their ultimate destiny the ONENESS of LIFE reveals itself more and more. Just a theory.
This could be a new topic in it's own right...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/23 at 2:40 pm

This could be a new topic in it's own right...

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=61876.0

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=2550.0

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/23 at 3:14 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=61876.0

Cat
Thank you, I though I had started a topic on that subject.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/23 at 3:29 pm

Glad you had a great time. Getting away is always nice but I always find that coming home again is even nicer.

Cat

I definitely agree.

Written By: nally on 04/23/23 at 6:26 pm

Cat

Most definitely.

Written By: nally on 04/25/23 at 11:33 pm

...and yesterday, as expected, I had plenty of work to catch up on. And today I almost got caught up with it. My boss and coworker did some of my tasks while I was away last week, but keep in mind that they have duties of their own to do.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/26/23 at 9:30 am

Did you take any photos?  I hope you'll post some

Written By: Ripley on 04/26/23 at 6:13 pm

Hey all! It’s almost May already. :o

Written By: nally on 04/26/23 at 11:30 pm

Did you take any photos?  I hope you'll post some

I did. Mostly with my smartphone. I just backed them up onto my PictureKeeper device this evening, so when I have the opportunity, I'll select at least one and post it for all to see.

Written By: nally on 04/26/23 at 11:30 pm

Nice to see you!! I hope you're well. :)

Written By: Howard on 04/27/23 at 3:12 am

I know, it's almost half a year gone by.  :o

Written By: karen on 04/27/23 at 12:36 pm

Dai came back home last Friday in the car that now has a brand new working clutch. He also picked up a hacking cough.  ::)

I went away on a school trip on Sunday morning till Monday evening. The students were doing a practice expedition and we had to be on hand with the minibus. Four members of staff went. We had a good time walking, drinking tea and we camped overnight.

I was tired on Tuesday, from having two busy days and then being kept awake by Dai’s hacking cough. Tuesday and Wednesday night I slept in the spare room. Might do that tonight as well.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/27/23 at 3:15 pm

Dai came back home last Friday in the car that now has a brand new working clutch. He also picked up a hacking cough.  ::)

I went away on a school trip on Sunday morning till Monday evening. The students were doing a practice expedition and we had to be on hand with the minibus. Four members of staff went. We had a good time walking, drinking tea and we camped overnight.

I was tired on Tuesday, from having two busy days and then being kept awake by Dai’s hacking cough. Tuesday and Wednesday night I slept in the spare room. Might do that tonight as well.

Carlos has had one since right after Thanksgiving in Nov. He is having problems getting to see a specialist. He was able to get an appointment for one in Sept. Went to a different hospital and was able to get an appointment sooner-in July.  ::)  Meanwhile, his regular doctor is TRYING but this is way beyond his field of study.

And yeah, he has kept me up at night, too. But, I don't have to get up in the morning but still am tired.

Cat

Written By: nally on 04/28/23 at 10:02 pm

I know, it's almost half a year gone by.  :o

More like one-third of the year. But it’ll be a half before ya know it! Time always flies by.

Written By: nally on 04/28/23 at 10:04 pm

Anyways, it was a busy (but good) day at work for me. I was able to get caught up with all my tasks this week; it was especially helpful since today was the last weekday of the month (always a busy time). Now I can unwind over the weekend.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/29/23 at 10:14 am

Today I fly over to Germany. I've been wanting to go back for 31 years, and it's finally happening!

Written By: nally on 04/29/23 at 10:49 am

Today I fly over to Germany. I've been wanting to go back for 31 years, and it's finally happening!

Congrats. I hope you enjoy.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/29/23 at 2:06 pm

Safe travels.

Are you going to visit with Elor?

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/29/23 at 3:39 pm

Enjoy your trip.

Written By: Ripley on 04/29/23 at 4:13 pm

Fun! I’d love to go there as a large amount of my ancestors are from there.

Written By: nally on 04/29/23 at 10:09 pm

Taking it easy at home today after spending the week catching up with my work and finishing up the end-of-month necessities.

Written By: nally on 04/30/23 at 11:39 pm

And now we bid adieu to the month of April...

The May thread will be started shortly...

Written By: karen on 05/01/23 at 2:31 am

I have been weirdly more tired than usual this past few days. Was ready for a nap at lunchtime on Friday - shame I was in work at the time. On Saturday we went to the supermarket and then to a cafe for lunch. Came home and fell asleep.

Yesterday Dai and I went orienteering. My legs felt sluggish - I couldn’t get going even on the paths.

Hopefully things will be better today

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/01/23 at 9:11 pm

Came home yesterday from a long-awaited (relatively speaking) weekend in Ohio.  Saw the grandkids.  Given the tough times I've been going through lately, it really lifted my spirits.  So glad we got to go!

Check for new replies or respond here...