inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are the lyrics to THEY'RE COMING TO TAKE ME AWAY?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/22/04 at 8:42 pm

Does anyone know the words to THEY'RE COMING TO TAKE ME AWAY? I only know 'they're coming to take me away to the funny farm' any help with the rest of the song is welcome!

Subject: Re: What are the lyrics to THEY'RE COMING TO TAKE ME AWAY?

Written By: SmithsGirl on 04/22/04 at 11:21 pm

Remember when you ran away and I got on my knees and begged you not to leave because I'd go berzerk?
Well, you left me anyhow and every day got worse and worse and now you see I've gone completely out of my mind.

CHORUS:
And They're coming to take me away Ha Ha
They're coming to take me away ho ho he he ha ha
the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time, and I'll be happy to see those nice gorillas in white coats
They're coming to take me away ha ha

You thought it was joke and so you laughed when I had said that losing you would make me flip my lid, right? You know you laughed, I heard you laugh, you laughed and laughed and then you left, but now you know I'm utterly out of my mind

CHORUS:
To the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes
They're coming to take me away ha ha...

I cooked your food, I cleaned your house, so this is how you paid me back for all my kind unselfish loving deeds. Huh? Well you just wait they'll find you yet, and when they do they'll put you in the ASPCA you mangy mutt.

CHORUS:
To the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice men in thier white coats
They're coming to take me away Ha Ha
To the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle thier thumbs and toes

Your home the one the bank foreclosed, You cried to me Monogamy is the way we both must live or you'll feel hurt. But, I see, I see there's someone new, your anxious poly-pure-bred coat was even gone at our place while I paid the rent, thanks!

CHORUS:
To the loony bin with all you can eat perscription drugs like torizine, and lithium, and electric shock eels

SmithsGirl

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/24/04 at 12:32 pm

now give him the lyrics to the B side....."Ah Ah Yawa Em Ekat Ot Gnimoc eryeht"

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/24/04 at 3:12 pm

is there something wrong with my wanting the lyrics to the song,Billy?I just think it's funny. I am a mental health consumer and I think it's okay to laugh about my own illness sometimes,it helps me deal with the reality of it.

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/25/04 at 4:39 pm

is there something wrong with my wanting the lyrics to the song,Billy?I just think it's funny. I am a mental health consumer and I think it's okay to laugh about my own illness sometimes,it helps me deal with the reality of it.

no, no, I wasnt making fun of you, I was just making reference to the B side of "Theyre coming ot take me away haha".......its just the song played backwards

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/25/04 at 5:49 pm

I used to be my theme song a long time ago. I taught it to all the kids in the neighborhood. (But I don't remember that last verse.)

Cat

Written By: SmithsGirl on 04/26/04 at 8:33 am

I think you must have misunderstood what Billy was saying. He was simply suggesting that you may also want to have the lyrics to the B side of the album as well.  :)

SmithsGirl

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/27/04 at 5:06 pm

no, no, I wasnt making fun of you, I was just making reference to the B side of "Theyre coming ot take me away haha".......its just the song played backwards
sorry,my bad!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/04 at 5:03 pm

Remember when you ran away and I got on my knees and begged you not to leave because I'd go berzerk?
Well, you left me anyhow and every day got worse and worse and now you see I've gone completely out of my mind.

CHORUS:
the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time, and I'll be happy to see those nice gorillas in white coats

You thought it was joke and so you laughed when I had said that losing you would make me flip my lid, right? You know you laughed, I heard you laugh, you laughed and laughed and then you left, but now you know I'm utterly out of my mind

CHORUS:
To the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes

I cooked your food, I cleaned your house, so this is how you paid me back for all my kind unselfish loving deeds. Huh? Well you just wait they'll find you yet, and when they do they'll put you in the ASPCA you mangy mutt.

CHORUS:
To the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice men in thier white coats
To the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle thier thumbs and toes

Your home the one the bank foreclosed, You cried to me Monogamy is the way we both must live or you'll feel hurt. But, I see, I see there's someone new, your anxious poly-pure-bred coat was even gone at our place while I paid the rent, thanks!

CHORUS:
To the loony bin with all you can eat perscription drugs like torizine, and lithium, and electric shock eels

SmithsGirl

Absolute Classic

Written By: Jennifer028 on 04/24/05 at 7:27 pm

I remember this song was on the radio when we were in the car, on the way to the cemetary for my grandpa's funeral.  Its the only time I've ever heard it, so its creepy to me  ???

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/25/05 at 6:48 pm

Didn't the guy who recorded it (Napoleon XIV) do it as some sort of musical experiment?

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/05/05 at 10:54 pm

Didn't the guy who recorded it (Napoleon XIV) do it as some sort of musical experiment?

For a real mindbender - get the album ("They're coming to take me away", 1966, and enjoy "Split level head".  You can transcribe the lyrics easily if you listen to either the left or the right audio channel *ONLY*.  If you listen to them both simultaneously, your brain will melt.  In a good way.

Napoleon XIV did a sequel, "Coming to take me away again".

And Josephine XV did a response: "I'm happy they took you away!"

Happy searching :)

Written By: Lightsttn1 on 05/24/05 at 12:39 pm

I read the lyrics to "They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha". Is there anyone who has the lyrics as they would be on the flip-side(back) of the record, and is there any way I can get a copy of the record (both sides, VIA file. I like the silly song myself. Thank You for your assist.

Written By: sidney on 09/26/05 at 5:17 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/napoleanxiv0.shtml

funny poem about a dog based on "They're coming to take me away"

Written By: snozberries on 09/27/05 at 6:50 am

Napoleon XIV did a sequel, "Coming to take me away again".

And Josephine XV did a response: "I'm happy they took you away!"

Happy searching :)

I love the song too but how do you know THIS???? Man and I thought my brain was crammed with (so-called) useless crap.... then again if the topics crop up on boards and you know the answers I guess the useless information in your head suddenly becomes useful

:D WHAT TILL I TELL MY MOM ALL THOSE YEARS OF TV AND MOVIES AND STUFF ARE NOW USEFULL!!!!

BTW  DEAD PUPPIES is still tops on my list for whacky songs!!!!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/27/05 at 11:17 pm

I love the song too but how do you know THIS???? Man and I thought my brain was crammed with (so-called) useless crap.... then again if the topics crop up on boards and you know the answers I guess the useless information in your head suddenly becomes useful

:D WHAT TILL I TELL MY MOM ALL THOSE YEARS OF TV AND MOVIES AND STUFF ARE NOW USEFULL!!!!

BTW  DEAD PUPPIES is still tops on my list for whacky songs!!!!

Vinyl, Google, and synchronicity are a scary combination.  (Curse you, now I have to find the The Ogden Edsl Wahalia Blues Ensemble Mondo Bizzario Band.)

But thanks to the liberal reciprocity laws here, let me direct you to some fellow geeks who know everything you wanted to know about Napoleon XIV.  (Not my website, but it's a definitive review of the vinyl LP)

http://powersalad.com/music/napoleon.htm

And here's something that looks like it includes 21 parodies of the original, including Josephine XV's "I'm Happy They Took You Away", and Napoleon XIV's "!Aaah Ah Yawa Em Ekat Ot Gnimoc Eryeht".  (Not my 'blog either - I wonder if it belongs to someone on this site - but whoever's blog it is, those MP3 links look promising, and they were just posted today.)

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/09/21_variations_o.html

And last but not least, I also managed to scrounge a 1976 single that Napoleon XIV released, entitled "They're Coming To Get Me Again!", which I'll transcribe here...

Remember when they took me to the
Funny farm for acting like a lunatic,
Because you ran away?  HUH?
Well, that was many years ago
And now at last they've let me out
I finally made them think I'm perfectly sane - BUT!

They're coming to get me again, ha ha!
They're coming to take me away again,
Hee hee, ho ho, to the looney bin,
Where life was ludicrous all the time,
And I'm just crazy about those big strong goons
With their clean white nets
'Cause they're coming to get me again, ha haaaaaa!

I thought you were my friend,
And so I trusted you - believed in you,
The day you swore you'd always be my pet - bah...

I trusted you , you know I did
I did, I really did, but then you hid
And I'm not really totally cured.  SO...

They're coming to get me again, ha ha
They're going to put me away again,
Hoo hoo, hey hey, in the rubber room,
With fleas and towers and burping nerds
And pimple-poppers who sweat and smear
And squiggle and squeeze and squirt and
They're coming to get me again, ha ha...

I scrubbed your toes, I cleaned your cage,
But all you ever did was pay me back
With cruel unloving selfish deeds - YESss..
Well now I'm free, so just you wait!
I'll find you soon and when I do,
I'll swing you by your tail, you hairy ape!  AND!

They're coming to get me again, ha ha
... repeat chorus until demented ...

Written By: Nunya Beezwax on 11/22/05 at 7:00 am

Remember whe. you ran away, and i got on my knees, and begged you not to leave for i would go bezerk? Well you left me anyhow and the days got worse and worse and now you see i've gone completely out of my mind.

and they're coming to take me away ha ha
they're coming to take me away ho ho he he ha ha
to the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time
and i'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats
and they're coming to take me away ha ha

you thought is was a joke and so you laughed you laughed when i had said that losing you would make me flip my lid right?
you know you laughed i heard you laugh
you laughed and laughed and laughed

Subject: SWG Parody: Song of the Aurillians

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/26/05 at 8:03 pm

A parody of "They're Coming To Take Me Away".  Probably only of relevance to people who played SWG (Star Wars Galaxies), but as someone who spent far too much time in that game, I was LMAO. 

For anyone who didn't play the game - for the better part of two years, SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) had created a game called Star Wars Galaxies.  In an ideal universe, you'd become a Jedi by acting like one.  In the SWG universe, you became a Jedi by getting lots of experience points - and you got those experience points by killing random wild creatures.  The easiest of such creatures to kill was the "Bol".  You'd log in, spend three (or six, or nine) hours straight, slaughtering these things.  You'd do this - and nothing else - for 3-6 hours a day, 7 days a week, the weeks would add up into months, and several hundred million XP later, you'd be awarded with your Jedi. 

Your reward as a Jedi was to... well, if someone has spent 4 months (at $15/month) proving he was willing to mindlessly slay bols for 6 hours a day, I'll give you three guesses what he got to do for advancement after he was awarded his Jedi...

And thus - Jakin's "Song of the Aurillians" (aka "The Bol Song"):

http://www.fragglerockforever.com/swg/SongOfTheAurillians(TheBolSong)-ByJakin.mp3

I swear to God I didn't write this.  But if I ever meet the guy who did, I'll buy him a beer.  Hell, I'll buy him a beer for every bol he killed.

Written By: YourSweet666 on 12/12/05 at 11:24 am

CHORUS:
the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time, and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats

You thought it was joke and so you laughed when I had said that losing you would make me flip my lid, right? You know you laughed, I heard you laugh, you laughed and laughedand laughed and then you left, but now you know I'm utterly mad

CHORUS:

CHORUS:
To the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice men in their clean white coats

CHORUS:

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/12/05 at 11:07 pm

Oh Yeah, the B side played it backwards.

Written By: Toni on 01/11/06 at 8:45 pm

Does anyone know the words to THEY'RE COMING TO TAKE ME AWAY? I only know 'they're coming to take me away to the funny farm' any help with the rest of the song is welcome!

All I can remember is "They're coming to take me away, ha ha, they're coming to take me away, ho ho, he he, ha ha, to the happy home, where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those fine young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha ha".

Written By: spaceace on 02/02/06 at 12:06 pm

I'm a Mental Health Consumer and I always thought that song was funny.  ;D

Written By: AH3RD on 02/18/06 at 8:43 am

Doesn't rhyme, but can still carry itself.  :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

I have the tune on Dr. Demento's 20th Anniversary CD set and the Napoleon XIV: The Second Coming CD.

Written By: annie on 03/25/06 at 6:36 pm

uhm...isn't the line " I'll be happy to see those nice young men  white coats" not gorillas???? like...yeah. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...