inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Meaning of these lyrics: step out the...

Written By: petsrule21 on 04/28/04 at 7:53 am

Step out the front door like a ghost
into the fog where no one notices
the contrast of white on white.
And in between the moon and you
the angels get a better view
of the crumbling difference between wrong and right.
I walk in the air between the rain
through myself and back again
Where? I don't know

A friend sent this to me.  I'd be interested in your interpretations.

Subject: Re: Meaning of these lyrics: step out the...

Written By: RainKing on 04/29/04 at 9:45 am

No need to interperet when you have the Internet. The song you posted lyrics from is Round Here by my avorite band, Counting Crows. From a Counting Crows website, I give you the following.

This guy has heard all those life lessons that you're given when you're a child about what you should do to be a good adult and carve out your name in society -- all those cliches. He's an adult now and has the rights to do the things that 10-year-olds aren't allowed to do -- but so what, it's nothing. Everything has such consequences for him, he can't touch anything or anyone, he's terrified. By the end of the song, he's so completely lost; he's become more of a ghost than a person, and he's taking other people down with him. When you are a kid, people are always telling you to wait and they are always sending you to bed early. Round Here is a song about someone facing a life that doesn't seem to be the logical end product of all the things that he thought were leading up to it. For a list of these cliches of childhood, see every line of every chorus. In that last chorus he is saying I got all the things I wanted when I grew up(e.g. not having to wait for anything, staying up late) and it doesn't seem to mean anything("i can't see nothing round here").

---from annabegins.com

It's a great song. Give it a listen. Give the whole band a listen

Subject: Re: Meaning of these lyrics: step out the...

Written By: petsrule21 on 04/29/04 at 11:08 am

You replied to my question when I found your website.  Thanks again.  I'm obviously new at this - I had no idea there was so much out there from music lovers.

Check for new replies or respond here...