inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Getting Desperate... Anyone Know This Song?

Written By: Hicks76 on 05/20/04 at 10:53 am

Hi!  I'm really trying to find this tune for my Mom.  I've searched pretty much everywhere online, to no avail. 
Apparently, this song came from the late 80's (maybe very early 90's), but sounds like an early 60's kind of ballad. 
Mom has a snippet of the song on a cassette, and she thought it was Annie Lennox, but every search under her has
turned up nothing.  All I have is the chorus, and if anyone has any idea, PLEASE let me know!

Diamonds and pearls
Won't you send me
All of the world
Wrapped in ribbons
Placed (?) in my hands
Flowers at my doorstep
I turned down the love
I didn't understand...

Every search for "Diamonds and Pearls" just gives me the Prince tune, the Kansas tune, and a few others that aren't it. 
If you know it, let me know!  Thanks for reading!  :)

Subject: Re: Getting Desperate... Anyone Know This Song?

Written By: mrgazpacho on 05/24/04 at 5:54 am

Sorry, I tried searching as well but no luck...

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/13/04 at 3:18 am

ok..good luck..i just spent about 15 min on it to no avail.. :-\\

Written By: aj on 07/16/04 at 6:19 am

it's not some dolly p. song?

Written By: saver on 07/16/04 at 3:50 pm

in the 70's Joan Baez did one about Diamonds and Rust??

Written By: Cleger on 05/07/05 at 3:07 pm

I'm looking for the same song... I don't rember the artist either, but I'm sure it's not Annie Lennox... Have you found the song yet?

Written By: cleger on 05/08/05 at 9:15 am

Found it... Sherry Kean

Subject: need to no the lyrics 4 journey's when i think of you

Written By: zach dedlow on 05/12/05 at 9:30 pm

ok..good luck..i just spent about 15 min on it to no avail.. :-\\
::) ::)

Written By: Rich on 05/17/05 at 1:08 pm

This song is called "I Want You Back" by Sherry Kean...(1 hit Canadian wonder)

Written By: lemur on 10/20/05 at 6:40 am

I dated her son for two years

Written By: whistledog on 10/20/05 at 10:21 am

I know "I Want You Back" inside and out and this song is not it.  I did a search and I too came up with Kansas and Prince  :(

Subject: I can't find it either.

Written By: Jen on 05/09/06 at 7:21 pm

My mom has this tape on a cassette that she got from the radio station but no artist is listed on the tape.  It is not Prince or Kanasas, or that Sherry woman from Canada.  If you find out who the song is by let me know PLEASE!!!

Thanks alot!

Written By: DEBB on 06/12/06 at 9:55 am

can you give us alittle more info on the song?  more lyrics maybe or a sound bite....

debb

Subject: Re: need to no the lyrics 4 journey's when i think of you

Written By: DEBB on 06/12/06 at 4:25 pm

::) ::)

journey's 'when i think of you' is on the  LYRICSTYLE.COM  website

Written By: Sarina8457204 on 08/29/06 at 6:29 pm

Sorry, I tried searching as well but no luck...

That song was DEFINITELY sung by Sherry Kean.  She was a flash in the pan singer who made the one album then disappeared.  I don't know what happened to her.

The song was called Diamonds and Pearls.  She also did another song called "I want you back" and another great little tune called "Would you Miss Me".

I loved all her songs and saw her in concert and she didn't even need a microphone her voice was so powerful.

I looked high and low for her online and nothing...I once found this song on Kazaa but that was many years ago.

Hope that helps.  Try old record companies or Amazon.com.

Written By: Claybricks on 08/29/06 at 9:34 pm

http://www.coolforever.com/temp/sherrykean_maverickheart_lp_jeff.jpg

Album: Maverick Heart

Year: 1987

Track Listing:

SIDE ONE:

1. Why You Wanna Break My Heart
2. Say It
3. Take My Heart
4. Diamonds And Peals
5. State Of The Heart

SIDE TWO:

1. Back Away From Me
2. Baby Talk
3. I Believe In You
4. Chain Reaction

http://i11.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/ba/bd/ee_1.JPG

Mini Album: Mixed Emotions

Track Listing:

SIDE ONE:

1) Mixed Emotions

2) I Want You Back

3) You're So Minor

SIDE TWO

1) Universe Of Two

2) Sever The Ties

http://i2.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/3c/16/fa_1_b.JPG

Album: People Talk

Track Listing:

People Talk

Would You Miss Me

Get Away From That Girl

No Kisses When We Part

Universe Of Two

Be Mine

I Want You Back

Stop This Sorrow

Mixed Emotions

Litany Of Love

Sherry Kean records for sale...

Click here for GEMM

Click here for EBAY

http://www.netsoundsmusic.com/nsudsii/2/219054971/1118/2.html

http://www.musicstack.com/item.cgi?f=1&aid=z&item=6798795&band=Sherry+Kean

Sherry Kean was originally known as Sherry Huffman, vocalist for The Sharks who were a steady fixture on the Toronto Queen Street bar circuit in the late 1970's/early '80s. Though an appearance on a Chameleon Records compilation called 'No Pedestrians' gave the act a solid profile, the band's more popular live configuration consisted of the rhythm section of Basil Donovan (bass) and Cleave Anderson (drums). This line-up never recorded.

Kean (with guitarist Baxter as producer and co-writer) left to pursue a solo career while Donovan and Anderson teamed up with former Hi-Fi's members Jim Cuddy and Greg Keelor to form Blue Rodeo.

Kean soon signed a deal with Capitol-EMI. Recording for her debut LP began in the Spring of 1983 with producer Mike Thorne at Media Sound, NYC. Her backing band in the studio was J.T. Lewis (drums), Fernando Sanders (bass), and Pat Irwin and David Baxter (guitars, keyboards).

Five of these songs were released as an EP in the summer of 1983 under the title 'Mixed Emotions' and recording continued during December back in Toronto at Manta Sound in hopes of building an even stronger debut LP release. Kean's Toronto studio band consisted of Terry Martel (drums), Ian De Souza (bass), Scott Davey (guitar), David Baxter (guitars, keyboards), Mike Thorne and Tommy Mandel (keyboards).

In early 1984 "I Want You Back" was lifted as a single from the 'Mixed Emotions' EP and launched Kean as a serious radio contender. The B-side to the 12" single, called "Universe Of Two", was an extended mix done at ESP Studios in Buttonville by Dee Long and John Jones.

Finally, the debut LP, 'People Talk', was released in mid-1984. It contained three songs from the 'Mixed Emotions' EP (including 'I Want You Back'), two other tracks from that release were abandoned in favour of "Be Mine" and "Stop This Sorrow" from the 1983 New York sessions, while the album was fleshed out with five new songs from the December 1983 Toronto sessions -- including the title track.

Kean won a 1984 Juno Award for Female Vocalist Of The Year; she was also nominated for Female Vocal Of The Year at the 1985 U-Knows.

However, her time with Capitol was short lived and Kean found herself recording her sophomore album for A & M Records. The LP was self-produced with the assistance of David Baxter and Bob Doidge both of whom contributed musically to the recording along with Ian De Souza (bass), Kevin Breit (guitar), Garth Breit (drums), Mike Heffernan (keyboards), Ben Mink (violin), Bill Dillon (violin, guitar), the late Roman Zak (accordian) and Tom Cochrane singing back-ups on "I Believe In You" and dueting with Kean on "Baby Talk".

With notes from David Baxter and Michael Ustick

Discography:

Singles
1984 I Want You Back (Capitol-EMI) 1984 I Want You Back/Universe Of Two (Extended Version) (Capitol-EMI) V-75051

Albums
1983 Mixed Emotions (Capitol-EMI) MLP-15010 1984 People Talk (Capitol-EMI) ST-12328 1987 Maverick Heart (A&M) SP 9140

Video
1984 I Want You Back

Compilation Tracks
with THE SHARKS 1981 "Get Off The Radio" on 'No Pedestrians' (Chameleon) 1999 "I Want You Back" on 'Pure Canadian: Retro 80's Volume 6' (EMI)

Places that will transfer a record to CD, remove clicks and pops, remaster the music and transfer the original album art to CD...

www.vinylrevolution.com

www.cdbbq.com

Dan

Written By: whistledog on 08/29/06 at 9:41 pm

That song was DEFINITELY sung by Sherry Kean.  She was a flash in the pan singer who made the one album then disappeared.  I don't know what happened to her.

The song was called Diamonds and Pearls.  She also did another song called "I want you back" and another great little tune called "Would you Miss Me".

I loved all her songs and saw her in concert and she didn't even need a microphone her voice was so powerful.

I looked high and low for her online and nothing...I once found this song on Kazaa but that was many years ago.

Hope that helps.  Try old record companies or Amazon.com.

"I Want You Back" was her lone Top 40 hit.  "Would You Miss Me" also charted, but didn't become the big hit that it should've.  She had another single release called "Get Away From That Girl" but it was not a success.  I have the latter on 45 :D

Written By: M Hogan on 12/31/12 at 2:44 pm

Been looking for same song.  As I read this thread K>T> Oslin jumped into my mind.  She was a country singer with a great voice and as I recall, a troubled life.  Going to google her now.  :)

Written By: Rex on 12/31/12 at 4:46 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUF1ka_RCY4

Check for new replies or respond here...