inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need help on 2 songs, pleeeeeeease

Written By: Herauntsis on 06/20/04 at 4:06 pm

I just found this site today, and I'm all excited -- maybe some help at last!  These two songs have been driving me freaking crazy for years -- I have searched and searched with no luck.  I hope what little I can remember sounds familiar to somebody.

The first one is from sometime in the 80s (sorry, I can't remember enough to be more specific).  It was a song about the Enola Gay, which is the plane that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima.  It is definitely NOT the song by OMD.  This one was slower -- sort of a haunting ballad type feel.  It was probably alternative or new wave and the band had a male singer, and that's all I can remember.

The second one is from either the very late 70s or very early 80s (I think).  The band had a male singer (It was somebody like April Wine, or at least that genre, definitely rock, maybe one of those glitter bands?).  What I can remember of the lyrics are "Momma says it's a (something I can't remember), Pappa (or Daddy) says it's a (something else I can't remember), girl, don't you know what love is?"  And then I think he says something about how he can show her what love is.  Sorry to be so sketchy, but I'm old and my memory sucks!

Do either of these ring any bells with anyone?

Subject: Re: Need help on 2 songs, pleeeeeeease

Written By: zcrito on 06/20/04 at 5:48 pm

The first one is from sometime in the 80s (sorry, I can't remember enough to be more specific).  It was a song about the Enola Gay, which is the plane that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima.  It is definitely NOT the song by OMD.  This one was slower -- sort of a haunting ballad type feel.  It was probably alternative or new wave and the band had a male singer, and that's all I can remember.

For this one maybe Rush's "Manhattan Project" ?

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?userid=RRH3mPEJyX&ean=731453463523

:)

Written By: Herauntsis on 06/20/04 at 6:12 pm

Nice try, but no cigar.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.  The song I'm thinking of had sort of a muted quality, kind of broody.  Earlier today, I came across something that made me think it might be Ultravox, it had kind of a similiar feel to it as say, "Reap the Wild Wind."  I think the band may have been a one or two hit wonder, otherwise I'd probably be able to remember who it was.

Written By: zcrito on 06/20/04 at 8:30 pm

Nice try, but no cigar.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.  The song I'm thinking of had sort of a muted quality, kind of broody.  Earlier today, I came across something that made me think it might be Ultravox, it had kind of a similiar feel to it as say, "Reap the Wild Wind."  I think the band may have been a one or two hit wonder, otherwise I'd probably be able to remember who it was.

Okay. It looks like it's back to the search... :(

Written By: Herauntsis on 06/24/04 at 1:34 pm

Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Written By: saver on 06/24/04 at 8:43 pm

Just tryin out a guess, was #1 by Morrissey?

Written By: Harmonica on 06/25/04 at 9:59 am

#2 check out some meatloaf lyrics that sounds familiar.

Written By: karen on 06/25/04 at 11:18 am

I just found this site today, and I'm all excited -- maybe some help at last!  These two songs have been driving me freaking crazy for years -- I have searched and searched with no luck.  I hope what little I can remember sounds familiar to somebody.

I did a Google search on "Enola Gay" -OMD +lyrics and found the same lyrics but allegedly sung by Ultravox.  I don't know if it was a different style to the OMD song so might be what you are looking for?

Check for new replies or respond here...