inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: song sung mistake?

Written By: saver on 09/01/04 at 1:29 pm

Lately the oldies station has been playing Stevie Wonders' "If you really Love Me"...but there is something annoy with the way he sings it and the 'background' singers.....

When he sings the first 2 lines, 'if you really love me..and if you really NEED me' the background singer is STILL singing 'If you really LOVE me'.

I always wondered was this a mistake when recorded or supposed to sound cool?

It also happens later in the song as if they recorded the background first...

ANY EXPERTS OUT THERE FAMILIAR WITH THE PRODUCTION OF THIS NUMBER?

Thanks,

Saver

Subject: Re: song sung mistake?

Written By: zcrito on 09/02/04 at 1:53 am

"If You Really Love Me" is one of my favorite SW songs. :)

Stevie sings, "If you really love me, won't you tell me", and after he finishes the "if you really love me" part another singer (just a recording of stevie added in?) begins the phrase again. And before the second singer finishes a woman singer begins singing (along with Stevie once more) the same phrase. They all eventually sing "If you really love me, won't you tell me", just each starts a few seconds right after the other.

It really stresses "IF YOU REALLY LOVE ME", so it works for me.

Fleetwood Mac also did something similar with the singing on their song "Sentimental Lady".

Written By: saver on 09/03/04 at 1:00 pm

couldn't you hear the second voice saying 'if you really need me?' as the words need me while the line: 'If you really love me' is being sung the second time tho?

It's there..it just sounded confusing.

Just a comment on singers who backup track their own songs..it makes it a little annoying to me as when you see them inperson, it is noticeable..I heard that a lot on John Denver songs where he sang with or against himself....is it an artistic move or cheap way to go without a group of backup singers? 

Written By: zcrito on 09/03/04 at 6:18 pm

Sorry, saver. They're all (Stevie and the female singer) singing during the chorus

"(and) If you really love me, won't you tell me" and nothing else.

If you've got a problem with a SW song why can't it be with one of his I don't like, like
"I Just Called To Say I Love You" or "Ebony And Ivory"?  >:(

;)
:)

Check for new replies or respond here...