inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80's lyrics to a song

Written By: MadeInATL1981 on 09/16/04 at 2:30 am

I heard this song on TV years ago. It kinda sounds like it has an african theme to it. The only part I can recall, is a chant that kinda sounds like "Heyo, mama, wheeeeeeyyyyyyoooooaaaaa" or something like that. Any help is appreciated!

Subject: Re: 80's lyrics to a song

Written By: zcrito on 09/16/04 at 2:42 am

For an '80s song maybe 1985's "Tarzan Boy" by Baltimora?

Or for something much earlier maybe "Banana Boat (Day-O)" song by Harry Belafonte ?

Them's my guesses!  ;D

Written By: MadeInATL1981 on 09/16/04 at 2:58 am

neither. I know both of those VERY well

Written By: Kryllith on 09/16/04 at 7:26 am

Sounds like the introduction to "Circle of Light" on the Lion King movies, heh.

Kryllith

Written By: redhead007 on 09/16/04 at 4:05 pm

I heard this song on TV years ago. It kinda sounds like it has an african theme to it. The only part I can recall, is a chant that kinda sounds like "Heyo, mama, wheeeeeeyyyyyyoooooaaaaa" or something like that. Any help is appreciated!

I think the song you're talking about is "Life in a Northern Town" by Dream Academy from their self-titled album. The hook of that song sounds almost exactly like the song you're talking about...

Written By: zcrito on 09/16/04 at 10:41 pm

I think the song you're talking about is "Life in a Northern Town" by Dream Academy from their self-titled album. The hook of that song sounds almost exactly like the song you're talking about...

You may be right!
;)

Written By: MadeInATL1981 on 09/17/04 at 11:51 am

hey, that's it! thanx so much!

Written By: Kathleen on 02/18/05 at 11:34 pm

Im pretty sure the African chant from the 'Dream Acadamy' song is taken from another song which is entirely African chanting. I remember hearing it years ago and I can't find the name of it anywere. The whole song included lots of cool bongo drums and in the filmclip it had people painted as wild animals in a savannah. Does anybody know it?

Written By: Frielo on 02/25/05 at 1:24 pm

I think this is a Lionel Richie song called "All night long" - it only has that bit in the middle.

Also sampled in the mid 90s - a track featured a dancey version of this lyric and it was called Cry India. Not sure who it was by, think it was Umboza.

Written By: Linda on 09/11/07 at 10:04 pm

Sunchyme- dario G

Written By: Joe on 04/07/10 at 8:06 am

Need help from u guy!!!
I heard this song on the radio and couldnt get the artist or the name of the song...but all I can say was it has this word Banana in the lyrics...and its a nice pop 80s song....

Pretty tough...but is there a chance i can get this song...i kinda loved it!

Written By: meow on 11/27/10 at 10:42 pm

i think u're referring to 'Day-O (banana boat)'

cheers ^^

Check for new replies or respond here...