inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Meaning Behind the Lyrics to New Order's True Faith

Written By: loni51481 on 09/17/04 at 6:22 pm

I have been searching all the wrong places and can't seem to find the meaning behind these lyrics.....can anyone help??

Subject: Re: The Meaning Behind the Lyrics to New Order's True Faith

Written By: Harmonica on 09/18/04 at 12:48 pm

I have been searching all the wrong places and can't seem to find the meaning behind these lyrics.....can anyone help??

i'd say look up the band's web site if it exist.

Written By: Niko101 on 09/19/04 at 3:45 am

Y'know that's an interesting question that might never get a straight answer. New Order rarely even listed their lyrics, let alone explained them. I checked the booklet that came with the "Retro" CD set for any commentary, but there was none for that song. I think that Bernard summed it up best in this statement: "If you want to print your lyrics, that must mean you feel you have a message that's very important....To us, that sets the lyrics apart from the music and makes them more important than they really are. I try to develop an atmosphere with lines that are conducive to the feeling or emotion of the song."
  To me, the song is about the frightening reality and uncertainty that comes with adulthood. You are so incredibly aware of everything good and bad as an adult. There's alot to be afraid of in relation to the added freedom and responsibility. In childhood, it's easy to just be happy and play with your friends. Woah, I'm getting too deep.  :D

lyrics:
I feel so extraordinary
Something’s got a hold on me
I get this feeling I’m in motion
A sudden sense of liberty
I don’t care ’cause I’m not there
And I don’t care if I’m here tomorrow
Again and again I’ve taken too much
Of the things that cost you too much
I used to think that the day would never come
I’d see delight in the shade of the morning sun
My morning sun is the drug that brings me near
To the childhood I lost, replaced by fear
That my life would depend on the morning sun...

When I was a very small boy,
Very small boys talked to me
Now that we’ve grown up together
They’re afraid of what they see
That’s the price that we all pay
Our valued destiny comes to nothing
I can’t tell you where we’re going
I guess there was just no way of knowing

I feel so extraordinary
A sudden sense of liberty
The chances are we’ve gone too far
You took my time and you took my money
Now I fear you’ve left me standing
In a world that’s so demanding

Written By: svh on 10/03/04 at 12:16 am

here's my take:

lyrics:
I feel so extraordinary
A sudden sense of liberty -

Meaning: I feel high it's a wonderful feeling

I don’t care ’cause I’m not there
And I don’t care if I’m here tomorrow
Again and again I’ve taken too much
Of the things that cost you too much

Meaning: Lack of caution, I'm running a risk here, I've over-indulged
in things that have a price to pay. A foreshadowing of his death.

Meaning: How he felt as a child, impatience, possibly for the freedom of being grown up. The promise of a new day, seen in the guise of the morning sun

Meaning: The thing I love and look forward to the most now is a... drug.
When I am on this drug it makes me feel that wonderful way that I did in childhood.
I've lost my childhood, now as an adult there is only fear.

Meaning: The same phrase as above but now with a different meaning:
I used to think that I would never be addicted to a drug. Also a bit of irony, obviously to continue living depends on making it to the next day, i.e., seeing the sunrise again.

When I was a very small boy,
Very small boys talked to me
Now that we’ve grown up together
They’re afraid of what they see
That’s the price that we all pay
Our valued destiny comes to nothing
I can’t tell you where we’re going
I guess there was just no way of knowing

Meaning: the randomness of life, no guarantee our dreams for destiny will come true. The fear that comes as an adult when you realize your humdrum reality.
Possibly also the uneasiness that his old friends have seeing how things turned out so different for them vs him.

The chances are we’ve gone too far
You took my time and you took my money
Now I fear you’ve left me standing
In a world that’s so demanding

Meaning: Could be somebody, but certainly the subtext of drug abuse still fits.

Sad lyrics, really, for a song that's made me feel happy all these years

:o

Written By: Jimmy on 02/24/11 at 2:18 pm

IN OTHER WORDS....he has finally awakened to the reality that Corporate Greed forced Organized Religion upon us and, upon realizing this, he has fully awakened to his TRUE FAITH!! Blessed Be!! Spirituality exist in us all. No TRUE FAITH dictates what GOD or GODS to believe in. To do so robs us of all the Magic that once flourished in abundance on this planet.

When the "spark" of Magic dies within, you become depressed "thinking the day will never come".

"My morning sun is the drug that brings me near
To the childhood I lost, replaced by fear"

He was forced into a religion. A religion that taught the WRATH of GOD. A God that Hates and punishes.

Written By: Steve on 08/05/11 at 11:46 am

Thanks Jimmy!  That makes a lot of sense!  I was wondering why Anberlin remade it.  I read a book a few years that shocked me about the current "religious system," called Pagan Christianity.  Frank somebody wrote it.  It was like one day, I realized I was in a "Matrix" and then I had to find a way to get out.  I thought it was going to be easy, but turns out to be difficult.

Written By: Raider on 08/11/16 at 9:40 pm

I may be completely off here, actually I'm almost sure of it, but isn't that really what a song is about? Song's should mean something different for everyone who hears them. Lyrics should be individually understood to fit something in your life that you can relate to and use the song to help you with any situation in your life, no matter if it's good or bad. Songs should be a shoulder to lean on when you need them. Anyway, the way I interpret this song is - well first let me note that, for those who don't already know, the verse of "Now that we've grown up together, they're afraid of what they see" wasn't the original verse, and it was changed because there was concern radio stations wouldn't air the song if the original verse was kept. In live performances the band uses the original verse which goes, "Now that we've grown up together, they're all taking drugs with me". Okay, so, in keeping the original verse in mind, what i feel the song is saying is that something happened to him in his childhood that caused him to be afraid, and to lose his childhood which could be a reference to his innocence. He started doing drugs and it took away his fear, and made his feelings numb. He finally started to feel happy again, and finally looked forward to waking up to start a new day, instead of not caring if he ever saw tomorrow. With his pain and fear numb from the drug use, he felt he could finally get back his childhood that he lost because it was ripped away from him, leaving fear instead, most likely from something very traumatic, something that stole his innocence, something unforgettable and unforgivable.  He lived his life in a state of fear, and just one day said, you know what? f*** it, it's time to move on. That's what I feel anyway. Like I said though, we are all supposed to feel something different and unique to ourselves when it comes to a song, that's what is so beautiful and healing about the power of music! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...