inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HELP PLEASE - IT GETS A LITTLE BETTER EVERYDAY??

Written By: ROB B. on 09/25/04 at 9:49 am

Hi Everyone,
                I'm new to this site (UK resident). I wonder if anyone can help solve this mystery that's been driving me insane for over 30 years!!! Around 1967/68 (tho' it could've been as late as '69). I heard this song - just once on my Grandfather's radio just after arriving home from school. It was more narration than singing. I'm sure that it was American. The narrator may have been someone like Carroll(?) O'Connor of Archie Bunker fame. Anyway - it was a father ranting away & berating/putting down his teenage children. Then, one by one they are killed in auto accidents or die of drug overdoses etc. The bizarre record ended with the father/narrator crying and sobbing hysterically interspersed with soundbites of his children and (my only lyric clue!!) chanting/intoning in the background something like "It gets a little better everyday.." Does anyone know the title of this, er, amazing record??? Yours hopefully, Rob Bradford

Subject: Re: HELP PLEASE - IT GETS A LITTLE BETTER EVERYDAY??

Written By: zcrito on 09/26/04 at 8:46 pm

Well you managed to stir up a few dormant brain cells from way, way, waaayyyy back in my memory with your question, since I too remember what you're talking about but not enough to give any real help.

Someone must know, I'll ask around. And if you don't have any luck on this message board try over at:

http://www.onehitwondercentral.com/forum/

;)
:)

Written By: Rob Bradford on 10/06/04 at 1:25 pm

:) Thanks!! Thanks!! ZCRITO! I did refer to onehitwonders. I got the year wrong (it was '71 and not 68/69. I'd 'remembered' the intoning/chanting partly wrong -......but...but someone correctly identified the song (they kindly printed the lyrics0 as being "When You Understand" by Think. apparently it was a hit (#23) in '71 and again #53 in 1974!! The background chanting was "Things get a little easier when you understand". Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Now I have to find a copy!!!
Cheers!! Rob Bradford :D

Written By: zcrito on 10/06/04 at 10:23 pm

:) Thanks!! Thanks!! ZCRITO! I did refer to onehitwonders. I got the year wrong (it was '71 and not 68/69. I'd 'remembered' the intoning/chanting partly wrong -......but...but someone correctly identified the song (they kindly printed the lyrics0 as being "When You Understand" by Think. apparently it was a hit (#23) in '71 and again #53 in 1974!! The background chanting was "Things get a little easier when you understand". Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Now I have to find a copy!!!
Cheers!! Rob Bradford :D

After I read your post I checked the "usual places" for a sound clip of it but came up with nothing. Let me know if you find anything. I'd love to hear it again. It sounds very dated and poignant.   :\'(
:)

Written By: Marilyn on 07/29/06 at 1:41 pm

Hi Everyone,
                 I'm new to this site (UK resident). I wonder if anyone can help solve this mystery that's been driving me insane for over 30 years!!! Around 1967/68 (tho' it could've been as late as '69). I heard this song - just once on my Grandfather's radio just after arriving home from school. It was more narration than singing. I'm sure that it was American. The narrator may have been someone like Carroll(?) O'Connor of Archie Bunker fame. Anyway - it was a father ranting away & berating/putting down his teenage children. Then, one by one they are killed in auto accidents or die of drug overdoses etc. The bizarre record ended with the father/narrator crying and sobbing hysterically interspersed with soundbites of his children and (my only lyric clue!!) chanting/intoning in the background something like "It gets a little better everyday.." Does anyone know the title of this, er, amazing record??? Yours hopefully, Rob Bradford

The song is (Things get a little easier) Once you Understand  by Think

Written By: zcrito on 07/31/06 at 10:00 pm

The song is (Things get a little easier) Once you Understand  by Think

You seem to be almost two years late with your answer, Marilyn.

Feel free to add your thoughts to any post out here, but try to be a little faster with your responses.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...