inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It's not like they're singing about themselves!

Written By: Georgia on 09/26/04 at 11:49 pm

I have noticed, after browsing the 'Inappropriate Lyrics' section of this site that a lot of people seem to have problem about artists singing something that contradicts with their life, ie:

Shania Twain's, "Get You Good"
The Inappropriate Lyrics:
You're a fine piece of Real-Estate,
and I'm going to buy the land
Why They're Inappropriate:
Shania?! Please! You're married.
Submitted by: Celeste

What does it matter if Shania is married? When people sing - it's not always about their life or feelings. They can be adopting a seperate point of view, or charcter, similar to what authors do when the write books.

Just because the main character in a novel angsts about a family member turning homosexual and then starts to self harm for attention .... it doesn't mean this has happened to the author! The author is NOT the same person as the main character (even when they write in first person) and it doesn not automatically mean they have directly OR indirectly experiences what they are writing about (many authors possess to skill of putting themself into soa situation they have never even come close to experiencing, and still manage to write a realistic representation) .....and the same can be said for song writers/singers.

Please stop whinging that an artist's song lyrics don't make sense just because of the person singing it. Ugh!

Subject: Re: It's not like they're singing about themselves!

Written By: Georgia on 09/26/04 at 11:51 pm

Oops apologies for my typos:

charcter = character
doesn = does
experiences  = experiences
soa = a

Check for new replies or respond here...